PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Bow Ace?

gadren
2016-05-14, 08:00 PM
Any reason to not allow my player to play the Bolt Ace (gunslinger archetype) but with bows instead of crossbows?
The worst I can think of is "but the Ranger is supposed to be the archer class", but if someone wants to focus on JUST being an archer, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Arutema
2016-05-14, 08:31 PM
You'd have to work out how crossbow training interacts with composite bows. Normally, guns and crossbows don't apply any stat to damage, and gun training and crossbow training make these weapons viable by giving dex to damage. Composite bows, however, give str to damage from the start.

TheIronGolem
2016-05-14, 08:32 PM
The reloading deeds would go to waste since bows don't take actions to load. Sharp Shoot would benefit from the superior range increment of bows.

gadren
2016-05-14, 08:40 PM
You'd have to work out how crossbow training interacts with composite bows. Normally, guns and crossbows don't apply any stat to damage, and gun training and crossbow training make these weapons viable by giving dex to damage. Composite bows, however, give str to damage from the start.

I just figured it'd allow dex INSTEAD of strength, not in addition. Kind of like weapon finesse but for bows.

Hogsy
2016-05-14, 08:55 PM
I just figured it'd allow dex INSTEAD of strength, not in addition. Kind of like weapon finesse but for bows.

What about the deeds though? Most of them are to benefit crossbows. A Bow Ace(Arrow Ace?) would technically be a Fighter Archer with less feats and Dex to Damage. But there's no harm in it as long as you modify the deeds to be beneficial to bows.

Florian
2016-05-15, 12:21 AM
Any reason to not allow my player to play the Bolt Ace (gunslinger archetype) but with bows instead of crossbows?
The worst I can think of is "but the Ranger is supposed to be the archer class", but if someone wants to focus on JUST being an archer, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Bolt Ace is supposed to make a inferior weapon viable. Bows don't suffer that kind of problem and most good bow builds works differently from how the Bolt Ave functions.

Anlashok
2016-05-15, 01:27 AM

That fixes that problem. Only now you're taking one of the best martial fighting styles in the game and buffing it and I'm not sure how advisable that is.

Psyren
2016-05-15, 03:27 PM
That fixes that problem. Only now you're taking one of the best martial fighting styles in the game and buffing it and I'm not sure how advisable that is.

This would be my reason for declining it - Bows generally don't need any help.