PDA

View Full Version : [Creature]Naxeto[Mitp]

Anxe
2007-06-25, 11:20 PM
I made this monster because I thought this was what every Naga should be like, snake people with lots of arms, not spellcasters. I'll also be entering it into the Monsters in the Playground thing. Enjoy!

Naxeto (Warrior Naga)
Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (39)
Intiative: +9
Speed: 40 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+4 Natural, +5 Dex), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+9
Attack: Short Sword +11 melee (1d6+3/19-20) or Tail Grapple +8 (special)
Full Attack: 1 Short Sword +9 melee (1d6+3/19-20), 5 Short Swords +9 melee (1d6+1/19-20), and Tail Grapple +6 (special)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Tail Grapple
Special Qualities: DR 5/Silver, SR 16, Commitment
Saves: Fort: +4 Ref: +10 Will: +5
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 20, Con 15, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 13
Skills:Heal +9
Feats: Improved Initiative, Multiweapon Fighting, Weapon Finesse (Short Sword)
Environment: Any Mountain or Hill
Organization: Solitary, Pair, or Band (5-12)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +4

A warrior naga or Naxeto is usually mistaken for a Marilith. It has a torso with six arms and a human head. It ends in a large snake tail. It has no legs. It has a varying scale color from a dark blue to ivory. It is actually a naga-yuan-ti cross. Naxetos commonly live in the mountains or high hills. They have a social structure similar to Cheetahs or any other big cats.

Combat
A warrior naga’s combat strategy is just to rush at the most heavily armored opponent and attack it with all of its swords. If it can it will hit with its tail as well but that will not reach in front of it. If a Naxeto is in a band the strategy will not be very different except that they will split the targets they rush at. A Naxeto only retreats if it had lost ¾ of its HP or ¾ of the nagas in its band.
Commitment(Ex): The Naxeto is immune to mind-effects such as charm monster, and feeblemind.
Tail Grapple (Ex): When the Naxeto hits with its Tail Grapple attack it may initiate a grapple without a attack of opportunity. If it succeeds it may constrict. When a Naxeto constricts it deals 2d6+4 damage each turn with a successful grapple check. This does not take away from the Naxeto’s other actions. While using the Tail Grapple a Naxeto may only move 15 feet with a move action, 30 feet with a double move action, and may not run.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-26, 01:04 PM
Seems quite interesting. Do they have a favoured class?

Regardless it get's my vote: MitP: Yes

DraPrime
2007-06-26, 01:32 PM
Looks pretty nice.

adanedhel9
2007-06-26, 04:54 PM
I like the concept, but that looks like a 3.0 block. I don't know that there's any particular rule against 3.0 monsters in MitP, but I don't know how much of a response you'll get from this forum (mostly 3.5 stuff) with it. Let me know if you want help updating it.

Umarth
2007-06-26, 06:13 PM
8d6+22 possible damage and odd grapple rules.

So we're looking at (if all attacks hit) of an average of 58 damage. That's going to kill most 5th level fighters out right.

I'd probably give this guy a 4 more HD (con to 16) and bump the CR up by 2 or so. Will help balance out it's HPs vs Dmg output.

Anxe
2007-06-26, 09:31 PM
Oh right! Forgot to update to 3.5. I'll do that. And a typo on CR. Supposed to be 6.

Edit: There. Done it.

adanedhel9
2007-06-26, 10:27 PM
It should get an extra attack with its primary sword on the full attack. In addition, attacks with that sword should deal 1d6+3 damage. So the full attack line should read: 1 Short Sword +7/+1 melee (1d6+3) and 5 Short Swords +7 melee (1d6+1) and Tail Grapple +6 (special)

Your Space/Reach line is still in 3.0 mode.

You seem to have spent 4 too many skills points; it should only have 36.

I like it.

MitP Vote: Yes

Draken
2007-06-26, 10:35 PM
Interesting, but you should change the Space entry, it's 5' by 10', should be just 5' by 5' or more probably 10' by 10'.

Just fix that then: MitP Vote: Yes

Callix
2007-06-27, 12:06 AM
If you don't have a character with spring attack, this guy is lethal. On the variant grapple, a creature with improved grab would normally be able to use only the appendage to grapple, taking a -20 ta all grapple checks. This might be a bit much for your liking, but some of the difficulty should remain, as a penalty to either its grapple checks or its attack rolls while grappling. Also, if this guy takes even one level of rogue... ouch!

Anxe
2007-06-27, 09:55 AM
It should get an extra attack with its primary sword on the full attack. In addition, attacks with that sword should deal 1d6+3 damage. So the full attack line should read: 1 Short Sword +7/+1 melee (1d6+3) and 5 Short Swords +7 melee (1d6+1) and Tail Grapple +6 (special)

Your Space/Reach line is still in 3.0 mode.

You seem to have spent 4 too many skills points; it should only have 36.

I like it.

MitP Vote: YesThe reason I didn't change the space/reach to 3.5 is because I hate 3.5's version of space/reach. Creatures do not fit into perfect boxes. And really? Over on skillpoints? I'll check.

Anxe
2007-06-27, 10:01 AM
I also feel I should explain the CR more in depth. I used my own system to get the CR not whatever the Monster Manual tells you. Then I playtested it on my own players. A 7th level party easily slaughtered six of these things and went on to do more encounters that day. All those attacks may look good, but they rarely hit fighters with decent AC and as stated in the combat description, the Naxeto strategy is to charge the fighter types. The Tail Grapple was added because I originally considered them weak.

Anxe
2007-06-27, 10:05 AM
Okay I think it's fully 3.5 and without errors now. If anyone tells me different I'm gonna scream.

jindra34
2007-06-27, 10:06 AM
I also feel I should explain the CR more in depth. I used my own system to get the CR not whatever the Monster Manual tells you. Then I playtested it on my own players. A 7th level party easily slaughtered six of these things and went on to do more encounters that day. All those attacks may look good, but they rarely hit fighters with decent AC and as stated in the combat description, the Naxeto strategy is to charge the fighter types. The Tail Grapple was added because I originally considered them weak.

Look at and use VTs guide to CR in the guide to Homebrewing.

Anxe
2007-06-27, 10:19 AM
Okay I did that CR thing. It came up with 5. That could be right, I'm not sure.

Matthew
2007-06-28, 09:55 PM
So, why has this thing got Weapon Focus (Short Sword) over Weapon Finesse?

Callix
2007-06-28, 10:34 PM
An average Int of 15... and it charges the fighter types? Int should reflect all aspects of intellect, including strategy. They aren't quite super-geniuses, but they have to realise they're much more effective slicing and dicing the guy in the robes than beating on full plate armor.

Anxe
2007-06-29, 01:09 PM
The int thing did seem a bit wrong to me when I made it, but I went ahead with it anyways. My players were tossing around Feeblemind spells pretty liberally when I made it, and I didn't want it to be defeated by that.

Poppatomus
2007-06-29, 01:26 PM
I'm gonna vote mitp vote: yes.

If you're looking for a way to protect them mentally without making them geniuses, why not a special ability? It would fit with the fluff, I think, if they had a special resistance to abilities that deal damage to mental attributes. Call it "commitment" or some such, and then drop their int to a more "dumb fighter" appropriate amount.

Of course that would mean giving up some of those neat skill points. maybe better to just explain it with a handwave: "as honorable warriors, the Naxeto begin combat by engaging whatever opponent they percieve to be strongest physically..."

Anxe
2007-06-29, 04:21 PM
That's a good idea I'll do that. As for the skill points. I don't really care. It doesn't even make sense for something with a tail instead of legs to have balance.

Anxe
2007-06-29, 04:29 PM
So, why has this thing got Weapon Focus (Short Sword) over Weapon Finesse?The reason for that is my own idiocy. Fixed! I fixed everyone's complaints at the same time as this one. Even my own about the size actually being medium.

Matthew
2007-07-06, 06:46 PM
Okay, then I vote:

MitP Vote: Yes

[Edit]
Oh, Heal should be [9 x (2 - 1)] = 9. Heal is based on Wisdom, so:

Heal 9(9)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-07-30, 07:28 PM
Tail Grapple should be broken up into three abilities: a tail attack (like a slam), the Improved Grab ability, and the Constrict ability.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-30, 08:37 PM
MitP Vote: YES.

This definitely needs an As Characters section, but other than that, this is good.

DracoDei
2007-07-31, 02:03 PM
Weapon Finesse isn't specific to a particular weapon any more.
Could probably use some info on society/culture.
Going to abstain for the moment to see what fluffy you can add.