PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Lycanthrope PC race [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2016-05-15, 06:53 AM
My group is about to start a game where Lycanthropes will be a playable race option. Before we begin, however, we would like to make sure that the race we've prepared is balanced. Thanks in advance for helping to balance the 5e Lycanthrope (http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/share/ryhelYBf)! :smallbiggrin:

GandalfTheWhite
2016-05-15, 07:21 AM
This seemed hella powerful, until I read that existing requires your constant Concentration if you want access to half of your racial abilities.

Overall, this pleases me. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: I feel like at 10th level, you shouldn't need to concentrate anymore. Maybe that's just me.

Final Hyena
2016-05-15, 09:02 AM
You use one of the following statblocks (brown bear, boar, giant rat, giant eagle, tiger, or dire wolf, respectively)
This results in;
Looking these up.
What happens to your hp going into and out of this new form
the difficulty of no scaling

Once you get past low levels the high risk of turning into one of those creatures makes your hybrid/beast forms awful.
Beast form seems like a bad hybrid, no gear and limitations on abilities. The only real benefit of beast form is hiding items that absorb into you, which really shouldn't be the main point of the form.

PoeticDwarf
2016-05-15, 09:08 AM
Seems too powerful, and make some things clear as Hyena says

DracoKnight
2016-05-15, 01:01 PM
This results in;
Looking these up.
What happens to your hp going into and out of this new form
the difficulty of no scaling

Ah, yes, I should clarify that. Hybrid is your HP, in beast form you use the beast's HP.

Once you get past low levels the high risk of turning into one of those creatures makes your hybrid/beast forms awful.
Beast form seems like a bad hybrid, no gear and limitations on abilities. The only real benefit of beast form is hiding items that absorb into you, which really shouldn't be the main point of the form.

Well, I mean, that was kind of on purpose. You don't *want* to lose your mind to your beast form. You don't necessarily want to lose your humanity. So the beast form is intended to be a bit of a drawback.

manny2510
2016-05-15, 01:09 PM
Seems too weak. They should get the full immunity to mundane weapons but be vulnerable to damage that circumvents that (Fire baaaaaaad!) as long as you play up that stigma well ingame. Also, I feel that if remove curse does not remove lycanthropy, it should at least weaken them. If it does then no change needed.

DracoKnight
2016-05-15, 01:29 PM
Seems too weak. They should get the full immunity to mundane weapons but be vulnerable to damage that circumvents that (Fire baaaaaaad!) as long as you play up that stigma well ingame.

Immunity to mundane damage on top of everything else that they get would be far too powerful. I understand that that's what they have in the Monster Manual, but you have to be careful giving immunity to a player.

Also, I feel that if remove curse does not remove lycanthropy, it should at least weaken them. If it does then no change needed.

Remove curse doesn't cure them completely, but I did add in that they're no longer forced to transform under the full moon if remove curse is cast on them.