PDA

View Full Version : Yet another build idea. :)

Spacehamster
2016-05-15, 09:51 AM
Wood elf orphaned at young age brought up by a tribe of savage elves that at grown age sets out to learn more about the world, he is an archer, bit of a kleptomaniac(mostly nicks stuff without thinking of it), a wanderer of the wilds and a seeker of knowledge.

1-6: fighter champion with orphan background
7: knowledge cleric, expertise in history and nature.
8: rogue pick up investigation, take expertise in stealth and athletics
9-11 hunter ranger pick up insight and horde breaker
12-20 champion.

End result is a ranged fighter with some small spell utility, 9 skill proficiencies and 4 skills with expertise. He is good at laying down the pain and at scouting and sneaking and will know the lore of the land and the nations that dot the map. :)

Sounds like a both fun and useful character with no big downsides and the same need for stats as a regular old ranger. So what is your opinion of this character? Something you could think to play? Does he suck? Is he awesome? :)

Citan
2016-05-15, 11:07 AM
Hi! ;)
The build seems mechanically very nice. The only thing that puzzles me a bit is the "Knowledge" part in Cleric part. ^^
If the character is really into the pursue of knowledge, I'm not sure I understand how/why he would spent only a small portion of his life studying ancients scriptures and such, and instead spend most of his time running and fighting into the wild. ^^

I'd understand it more if you said that actually, he was made into a Cleric because of a familial obligation or the pursue of a moral inspiration, but realized just when he actually entered into his order that the austerity and piety of a clerical life was not for him, because he's a wild soul at heart. And thus spent all the remaining time in his life striving to discover as much of the world as he can, fighting through the obstacles. :)

Spacehamster
2016-05-15, 11:39 AM
Hi! ;)
The build seems mechanically very nice. The only thing that puzzles me a bit is the "Knowledge" part in Cleric part. ^^
If the character is really into the pursue of knowledge, I'm not sure I understand how/why he would spent only a small portion of his life studying ancients scriptures and such, and instead spend most of his time running and fighting into the wild. ^^

I'd understand it more if you said that actually, he was made into a Cleric because of a familial obligation or the pursue of a moral inspiration, but realized just when he actually entered into his order that the austerity and piety of a clerical life was not for him, because he's a wild soul at heart. And thus spent all the remaining time in his life striving to discover as much of the world as he can, fighting through the obstacles. :)

He is more a happy enthusiast about seeking knowledge and seeing the world then a bookish fanatic that's why just 1 level. :)

bid
2016-05-15, 12:56 PM
Maybe it's meant to be refluffed as totally not a cleric. ;)

Spacehamster
2016-05-15, 04:55 PM
Altho ditching the 3 hunter ranger levels for 2 more rogue levels and 1 more cleric to gain you assassinate, 1d6 sneak attack more, cunning action and channel divinity? Would you guys say that's better then 1AC(mariner style), 1 potential attack(horde breaker) and a bunch of level 1 ranger spells? Feels like the part of when you go before other chars on round 1 in combat you get advantage on the roll would play really nicely into the improved criticals of the champion. But then again a potential extra attack from horde breaker with sharpshooter is nothing to sneeze at either.

Foxhound438
2016-05-16, 03:45 AM
Altho ditching the 3 hunter ranger levels for 2 more rogue levels and 1 more cleric to gain you assassinate, 1d6 sneak attack more, cunning action and channel divinity? Would you guys say that's better then 1AC(mariner style), 1 potential attack(horde breaker) and a bunch of level 1 ranger spells? Feels like the part of when you go before other chars on round 1 in combat you get advantage on the roll would play really nicely into the improved criticals of the champion. But then again a potential extra attack from horde breaker with sharpshooter is nothing to sneeze at either.

i dunno, 3 ranger really gives a lot... if you want to ditch that for more in rogue, i'd drop cleric altogether and get uncanny dodge.