PDA

View Full Version : In quest of a last name for a legal name change...

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-15, 10:59 AM
I'm looking for a last name that sounds good with "Everard." Bonus points if it's got an English or Norse derivation. :smallwink:

Please help me out here, Playground!

(Quick background note: I was saddled at birth with the name "Rhiannon," at approximately the same time as the Fleetwood Mac song of the same name came out, no less. I can't stand the song; the name makes me want to yarf, as Durkon would say, and it doesn't help that I'm a guy with an obviously female name, who isn't particularly feminine and has no desired to be so. I feel like the guy in "Open Range," just going by "Spearman" because his first name is "Bluebonnet." :smallbiggrin:

I shorten it to "Rhian," which I pronounce like Ryan in a feeble attempt to conceal its provenance, but I hate that name too. I also hate Ryan by association. I consider both of them to be bad luck, and I'm a person who ferociously rejects superstition. :smallbiggrin:

I pored over lists of names in my idle seconds, and picked out the name "Everard" for a first name. I like it a lot. It's the only one I've seen that's pleasing to me, in fact.

However, I still want to ditch my current family name when I go to get my legal name change done, too. Might as well make a clean sweep while I'm at it. I can't stand my parents any more, and I can't see any reason to bear the name of someone I despise. Why be reminded of them every time I sign a check, look in my mailbox, etc. etc.? Plus, the name is associated with disasters and incredible stupidity. Time to abandon ship.)

So, what do you folks think is a good last name to go with the first name Everard? Thanks for any suggestions! :smallsmile:

Blackhawk748
2016-05-15, 11:09 AM
Du Pont? Im not sure why i came up with it but it rolls nicely.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-15, 11:37 AM
Du Pont? Im not sure why i came up with it but it rolls nicely.

Interesting, since I came up with "Du Mont" (on a list of medieval surnames). :smallwink: And yes, both of them roll nicely. :smallsmile: Thanks!

Interested in other suggestions, too, of course. One doesn't hurry something like this.

Jerry
2016-05-15, 12:17 PM
Everard is a dope name, unusual without being out there I like it a lot. Certainly better than Jerome. :smalltongue:
How about Thornton? My best friend's last name is Thornton and I have always admired it. His roots are English, btw.

Aedilred
2016-05-15, 12:22 PM
I would advise against choosing a new name that sounds pretentious and/or overwrought. "Everard" on its own is probably ok, but if you give yourself a name that sounds like French aristocracy I think you might come to regret it. Given Everard is a Germanic name I'd have thought you'd want to find something similar for the surname too.

Worth bearing in mind too I guess that if you have children you'll be passing the name onto them (probably) so this could be the start of a dynasty. It's not necessarily just your name you're choosing.

My suggestion would be firstly to look at your surroundings, origins, experiences, profession and so on and see if there's anything there you might want to recall in your name. After all that's basically how surnames got started, and could still work well.

Alternatively, and this is a serious suggestion: "Newman". It's a solid name, I think it goes well with almost any first name, and it's symbolic of your break with the past and creating your own identity.

Jerry
2016-05-15, 12:29 PM
Newman is not a bad suggestion, though I would have to admit to not being able to resist saying it in my head in my very best Jerry Seinfeld voice. Which admittedly, is not very good. :smallwink:

Alent
2016-05-15, 12:32 PM
I would advise against choosing a new name that sounds pretentious and/or overwrought. "Everard" on its own is probably ok, but if you give yourself a name that sounds like French aristocracy I think you might come to regret it. Given Everard is a Germanic name I'd have thought you'd want to find something similar for the surname too.

Worth bearing in mind too I guess that if you have children you'll be passing the name onto them (probably) so this could be the start of a dynasty. It's not necessarily just your name you're choosing.

This is extremely good advise.

Another thought would be to look at town names on a map. If you like a town name's footprint but not the exact name, check to see if there's variations on it. Classic naming convention, there.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-15, 01:13 PM
How about Everard Ash? Ash is part of the name of the city I'm currently living in. Sounds concise; I don't think it's too pretentious; hopefully not too clumsy.

Also refers to the tree, plus it's a good remind of burning the past and putting it behind me. :smallbiggrin: Rising like a phoenix and all that jazz. :smallwink:

Lissou
2016-05-15, 05:31 PM
If you go with one of the French names, I would suggest using the more common, one-word spellings (Dupont, Dumont).

I like "Ash" though. Easy to know how to spell, short, sounds nice.

SaintRidley
2016-05-15, 06:34 PM
I think you should go with Hackenschmidt.

Palanan
2016-05-15, 06:42 PM
Allow me to suggest Marshall. It has a tinge of medieval resonance, while still sounding modern and unobtrusive.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-15, 06:44 PM
I think you should go with Hackenschmidt.

You would think that. :smallbiggrin:

Professor Gnoll
2016-05-15, 07:04 PM
Everard Megalordultradecimator!
Ah, wait, if you wanted something Germanic...
Megalorduberdecimator. Hey, that's actually cooler.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-15, 07:26 PM
Right now, Everard Marshall and Everard Ash are the ones rolling around in my mind on the serious plane.

On the funny level, how about dropping the "Megalord" and just going for "Uberdecimator?" :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2016-05-15, 08:47 PM
You know what's a good last name? Lee. Short, simple, middle of the alphabet so regardless if anyone works alphabetically or backwards-alphabetically, it'll still be around the same place. It is any nationality, and every nationality. Signing your name is a breeze. It's incredibly common, so if you also have a common first name (not the case for you, i realize), youre virtually un-Google-able. Truly, it is the best of names.

Though of I were picking my own last name, it'd be something awesome like Silver or King or Skywalker.

Rockphed
2016-05-15, 09:34 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how "Ry-a-non" is a feminine name. I get that being named after a fleetwood mac song is a bit annoying. I can totally support changing your name. I'm just trying to grok how your current name is feminine.

As to actual advice, I suggest picking a name that is fairly common, but not too common. Don't become a "Smith" or a "Smythe", but also avoid becoming a "Dotcom" or a "Jetson". If you want ideas, open up a phonebook, roll some dice, and pick a page. Look for between 15 and 50 entries with that last name.

If you want to be bit more original and make your descendants geneological quests easier, go back 3 or 4 generations and find an ancestor you actually admire. Use a variant on their name as your new last name. I like my parents (even though they named me Michael like half the males my age), but if I wanted to change my name, I would either use my dead grandfather's name (Maurice Reed), or I would go back a few more generations. If you want to be unoriginal about it, use a dead politician who is generally respected and old enough that nobody is likely to hold a grudge against him or her. In the US, that means "Washington". In the UK I think you are limited to "Alfred". In Canada, I think you should use the creator of Hockey, Lord Stanley.

TheThan
2016-05-15, 10:24 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how "Ry-a-non" is a feminine name. I get that being named after a fleetwood mac song is a bit annoying. I can totally support changing your name. I'm just trying to grok how your current name is feminine.

Just goggled Rhiannon ; it’s welsh and is probably derived from the old Celtic name Rigantona (sounds like a pasta dish) which means “great queen” or somesuch. I actually like the name but I agree it’s not a name parents should be giving their baby boy.

I can’t think of anything that goes with Everard that doesn’t sound pretentious or obnoxious. seriously, Everard sounds like the kind of pretentious name a dnd player would give the elf they just finished rolling up. not saying you shouldn't use it but I'd totally be snickering if I met someone named that; call me childish.

Professor Gnoll
2016-05-15, 10:39 PM
Right now, Everard Marshall and Everard Ash are the ones rolling around in my mind on the serious plane.

On the funny level, how about dropping the "Megalord" and just going for "Uberdecimator?" :smallbiggrin:
Maybe Megalord could be your middle name.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-16, 03:41 AM
Just goggled Rhiannon ; it’s welsh and is probably derived from the old Celtic name Rigantona (sounds like a pasta dish) which means “great queen” or somesuch. I actually like the name but I agree it’s not a name parents should be giving their baby boy.

I can’t think of anything that goes with Everard that doesn’t sound pretentious or obnoxious. seriously, Everard sounds like the kind of pretentious name a dnd player would give the elf they just finished rolling up. not saying you shouldn't use it but I'd totally be snickering if I met someone named that; call me childish.

Yeah, maybe you're right. Maybe I should just embrace my inner Great Queen, much as I hate it. :smallyuk:

Ugh, what a situation.

The problem is, that I want first name that's both 1. either Old English or Germanic and 2. is distinctive.

The other problem is that our Norman-based culture has made most of the older names culturally comical. Which is a shame in its own right, IMO.

Problem is that I don't like most other names, either.

I want a name that stands out a bit, and that makes me feel confident. I've been saddled with a name that embarrasses me deeply for decades, so I want something that makes me feel good about myself. Also, it should be distinctive to some degree; John Smith won't cut it, because I'm writer, and "Anonymous McNobody" just isn't going to cut it. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe Edmund? I like that one, but my parents consistently told me that names like that are comical today. Then again, these are the people who named me "Great Queen," then realized their error while I was still tiny and left it in place. So I probably shouldn't be going by their naming ideas in any way, shape, or form. :smallwink:

Aedilred
2016-05-16, 05:00 AM
It's a girls' name. It's not even one of those quasi-unisex names like Vivien/an, Lesley/ie, or Lindsay/ey. Now, I can see how, if one came across the name out of context having never heard it before, one might think it sounded like a nice name for a boy, but I think that's probably what caused Bulldog Psion's problem in the first place.

Note too that it's usually pronounced [ri-æn-nʌn], rather than with the aɪ diphthong, which might make a difference. It doesn't tend to sound like "Ryan" with an extra syllable.

Maybe Edmund? I like that one, but my parents consistently told me that names like that are comical today. Then again, these are the people who named me "Great Queen," then realized their error while I was still tiny and left it in place. So I probably shouldn't be going by their naming ideas in any way, shape, or form. :smallwink:
Edmund is a wonderful name. It is a little on the unusual side these days but I don't think it would be considered comical or raise many eyebrows - unless people are determined to compare you to Blackadder, but that's probably no bad thing in itself. And you can use all the same abbreviations you would for Edward, so it's reasonably versatile. On the other hand you might find people calling you "Ed" a lot so if that bothered you that might be cause to avoid it. All the same it's genuinely one of my favourite names.

Among other Old English-derived names still in circulation, the only ones I can think of are Alfred, Edward, Harold, Edgar, Cedric* and Wilfred - and of those for a young person now the only ones I could in good conscience recommend are Alfred and Edward.

*Note that "Cedric" itself is not actually an Old English name: this derives from a misspelling of "Cerdic" in a Walter Scott novel which became sufficiently popular it turned into a name in its own right. It's also suspected that "Cerdic" itself was originally a British (i.e. Welsh/Cornish) name rather than an Anglo-Saxon one, even though it later became a popular Saxon name after the king.

Edit: Though if you're only really looking for an unusual name because you're a writer, have you considered using a pen name? That way you could have the benefit of an unusual name on book covers but still go through life with a name you find easier.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-16, 05:17 AM
Edmund is a wonderful name. It is a little on the unusual side these days but I don't think it would be considered comical or raise many eyebrows - unless people are determined to compare you to Blackadder, but that's probably no bad thing in itself.

Agreed. :smallbiggrin:

And you can use all the same abbreviations you would for Edward, so it's reasonably versatile. On the other hand you might find people calling you "Ed" a lot so if that bothered you that might be cause to avoid it.

After going through airport security and having at least 4 different people on different occasions state "Rhiannon? You mean you're named for that girl in the Fleetwood Mac song?", and dying a bit inside every time, hearing someone call me Ed would be sweet. sweet music. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2016-05-16, 05:26 AM
Go for first name "William".

Germanic origin, fits in in America I think, still classy but not pretentious and a clearly male name.

Alent
2016-05-16, 05:46 AM
I think I agree about Everard being a bad choice. The "Evard" variant is less mockable, but it still has an "out of place" vibe to it.

As a thought exercise, taking the names you've mentioned liking and playing with variants/combinations.

Everard Ash -> Evard Ash -> Evard Nash
Alt: Evard Marshal
Edmund Ash -> Edmund Nash (Ed Ash / Ed nash)
Alt: Edmund Marshal

According to some commenters on Behind the name's entry for Rhiannon, apparently some people pet form it "Ronnie". Playing off that and going with Ron since Ronnie is pet form...

Ronald Ash -> Ronald Nash.
Ron Ash -> Ron Nash
Ronald Marshal / Ron Marshal

On a whim, looking for german names meaning Wolf/dog/hound, using "bulldog" as inspiration and staying close to R's/
Randolf Ash -> Randolf Nash
Randolf Marshal
Randolf Evard. (hnn...)
(Another option that feels less right: Rudolf)

Not sure if that'll help, but this is how I tend to try to polish up/clean up candidate names when I'm writing fiction.

(Also, whatever you pick, imagine how preschool or k~3 students would make fun of it.)

comicshorse
2016-05-16, 06:15 AM
Everard Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All ?

Sorry, couldn't resist

Slightly more seriously I always liked DeMornay as a last name

Murk
2016-05-16, 07:14 AM
If you want to change your last name to something with meaning, I see two options here.

First, going for a germanic name. I assume you might have roots or interests in the area. In that case, embrace your past. As others have said, look up family members from past generations that you did like, try to find out which city or region your family originates from, or try to find out what professions they usually had.

Second, embracing the clean slate instead, making this a new, personal dynasty. In that case, take a name that indicates your profession, living area, hobbies, passions or just a message that you'd like to give to future generations.
As has been said, if you plan to have children, don't take a name that they might despise as you did yours ("and when I took a new name, I based it on my favourite computer game that you guys hate. Sorry.)

--

I don't know if you have a relationship or are planning on ever having a relationship, but I personally would just marry my girlfriend and take her name. Gets me rid of the old name and the responsibility of having to choose a new one, and it's a romantic gesture too.

OACSNY97
2016-05-16, 08:53 AM
I second what Rockphed mentioned in the last paragraph if you're not looking for a complete break with your past- do you have a grandmother or great-grandmother you liked or admired who had an acceptable sounding maiden last name? It would be a kind gesture to bring a name back into use and would make some great-grandchild's life so much easier when trying to do genealogy. Another variation if you want to show lineage might be to find a male relative with a decent first name and be something-son, i.e. Johnson, Williamson, Davidson.

Considering you're a writer what about Clerk or Clark for a last name- going back to the old trade names.

Regarding your current replacement first name choice- Everard, what about using Evan as your day to day name?

Good luck.
DH

As to actual advice, I suggest picking a name that is fairly common, but not too common. Don't become a "Smith" or a "Smythe", but also avoid becoming a "Dotcom" or a "Jetson". If you want ideas, open up a phonebook, roll some dice, and pick a page. Look for between 15 and 50 entries with that last name.

If you want to be bit more original and make your descendants geneological quests easier, go back 3 or 4 generations and find an ancestor you actually admire. Use a variant on their name as your new last name. I like my parents (even though they named me Michael like half the males my age), but if I wanted to change my name, I would either use my dead grandfather's name (Maurice Reed), or I would go back a few more generations. If you want to be unoriginal about it, use a dead politician who is generally respected and old enough that nobody is likely to hold a grudge against him or her. In the US, that means "Washington". In the UK I think you are limited to "Alfred". In Canada, I think you should use the creator of Hockey, Lord Stanley.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-16, 10:11 AM
By the way, since I haven't said this yet ... thank you to everyone for all the helpful thoughts and suggestions! I really appreciate it! :smallsmile:

Vinyadan
2016-05-16, 10:44 AM
I personally really like Urquarth as a surname, but it feels like a pain to have people write it down right. It also isn't very Germanic.

You could also go with your father's / grandfather's name+son/sen.

Quark should be Germanic, but I understand why one wouldn't want it, depending on culinary taste.

Let's see, there's Miller, Smith, Johnson, More (which I like), Churchill, Kirk, Longshanks, Steiner, Meyer, Steinmeier, Daniels, Speyer, Gauss, Gabriel, Wittekind, White, Grass, Green...

Personally, I'd look for a surname with only one syllable. That's why I'd go for More or White. Ash does sound nice.

Getting the name from the city in which one lived was a habit of (or injunction to, I am not sure) Italian Jews in the Middle Ages, so you would have a precedent. I mean, beside noble families taking a name from their land.

There are some more options. There was a recent research in Germany, saying that people with surnames like König or Kaiser fare better than people with surnames like Bauer. So you could name yourself King.

I also like Steel, although it doesn't seem too frequent.

Xuc Xac
2016-05-16, 11:49 AM
When I see the name "Everard", I just imagine a 14 year old English kid naming the captain of his Blood Bowl team. If he had an undead team, he would have called him "Dead 'ard" instead.

thorgrim29
2016-05-16, 12:02 PM
Keep in mind that this is just a comment from a random guy on the Internet, but Everard sounds like a porn name to me. Nobody commented that yet so that might be just me. Now, going by your criteria....I think Arthur is a solid name, it has roots in anglo-saxon history, is still in common usage, and I can't easily think of ways to make fun of it. Plus for a writer's name Arthur Ash is alliterative which seems like a plus.

Peelee
2016-05-16, 12:08 PM
You could probably get some good deals if you write under the name Stephen King.

Vinyadan
2016-05-16, 12:17 PM
Keep in mind that this is just a comment from a random guy on the Internet, but Everard sounds like a porn name to me. Nobody commented that yet so that might be just me. Now, going by your criteria....I think Arthur is a solid name, it has roots in anglo-saxon history, is still in common usage, and I can't easily think of ways to make fun of it. Plus for a writer's name Arthur Ash is alliterative which seems like a plus.

Arthur King sounds great.

Aedilred
2016-05-16, 12:21 PM
I personally really like Urquarth as a surname, but it feels like a pain to have people write it down right. It also isn't very Germanic.
I also think, as an aristocratic Scottish name with a fancy spelling/pronunciation, it fails the "pretentiousness" test. It's fine to be born with it but I wouldn't recommend picking such a name for oneself.

Longshanks
Trade Fleetwood Mac jokes for Braveheart jokes?

I would be minded to pick a surname that reflects the culture BP is currently living in (or planning to live in). Taking on a German (or French) surname when he doesn't live in a German- or French- speaking area and doesn't have any immediate cultural ties to seems strange. Even if he picks a name based on a German/French origin I'd say to take an Anglicised version of it (assuming he plans to remain in the US, that is).

Icewraith
2016-05-16, 03:44 PM
Maybe "Everard" isn't the best choice if you're trying to avoid feminine names, considering the simplest shortening of the name is "Eve"? I also wouldn't EVER want to constantly be hearing a potential nickname in casual conversation.

"Evard" will get at least a snicker from someone familiar with D&D.

Peelee
2016-05-16, 04:11 PM
Ya know, I just thought, you could potentially pull off an incredibly unique name via cheating. You could pick any name (the more common, the better, though any would work) and add some Roman numerals to the end. Whose to say you can't be James the fifteenth? Or George twenty-first? Hell, Everard the eight might suit you just fine. Skip the line, in a manner of speaking. Don't bother with all those fiddly generations of ancestors, and just start it from wherever you like. Viva la revolución! Long live Everard VIII!

BannedInSchool
2016-05-16, 04:37 PM
Optimus Prime McBoatface. :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2016-05-16, 05:03 PM
You can always go with BATMAN!

Vinyadan
2016-05-16, 05:44 PM
Well, the Romans did name their sons First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth... (Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, Quintus, Sextus, Septim(i)us, Octavius, Nonus, Decimus). Many of these names still survive.

A funny name you can occasionally find is Saint Philip. It's actually a double name, Saint being a proper noun in some languages.

I had completely forgotten Longshanks was a character from Braveheart. What about Ironshanks, then? :smalltongue: or, even better, Ironsharks? :smallamused:

Newman is the meaning of Vinyadan. He was also an important thinker, and, according to Joyce, one of the best English prose authors. I actually didn't name myself after him, however: I chose the name when I created my Oblivion character, and I didn't know who Newman was back then.

Personally, I think Arthur White or Arthur More have a nice ring and some personality without being hard to remember or to write down. Blake and Greene also go. i have a very hard to remember surname, and it can be a pain sometimes.

Hoosigander
2016-05-16, 06:26 PM
I would be minded to pick a surname that reflects the culture BP is currently living in (or planning to live in). Taking on a German (or French) surname when he doesn't live in a German- or French- speaking area and doesn't have any immediate cultural ties to seems strange. Even if he picks a name based on a German/French origin I'd say to take an Anglicised version of it (assuming he plans to remain in the US, that is).

German surnames are not particularly uncommon in Wisconsin or the Midwest in general, even in unanglicized forms (e.g. Müller or Mueller Vs. Miller). We have all the common German surnames: Mueller, Schmidt, Schultz, Metzger, Meyer, Bauer, Fischer, Hoffman, Wagner, Becker and Schneider. If I encountered someone with the above names or even a more uncommon one I wouldn't think it unusual. Of course, I have a German surname myself.

Going off what others have said Bulldog could take a name from his profession, something that would also meet the Germanic requirement would be something like Schreiber. Although the combination of an old-fashioned forename and German last name makes Bulldog sound like a 1880s Lutheran minister in small-town Minnesota.:smallbiggrin:

Pyromancer999
2016-05-16, 06:35 PM
I have no idea why it sounds natural to me, but may I suggest Deckett? Although Everard Deckett makes me think of some kind of adventurer's name, which may not be a desirable effect, as names can sound different to different people. Maybe the adventurer thing is why I thought of that. Just one suggestion of many.

Peelee
2016-05-16, 07:09 PM
Germanic names also sound natural depending on where you live. For instance, for some unknown reason, the US government was big on moving German scientists into Huntsville "Rocket City" AL in the late '40s-'60s. We'll never know why their population suddenly rocketed there, but german names are not uncommon.

Aedilred
2016-05-16, 07:44 PM
Well, the Romans did name their sons First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth, Tenth... (Primus, Secundus, Tertius, Quartus, Quintus, Sextus, Septim(i)us, Octavius, Nonus, Decimus). Many of these names still survive.
While the pattern is obvious, the first four don't seem to have been used commonly if at all in recorded history, which is strange as one would have thought, given their likely origin, they'd also have been by far the most common. It is possible I guess that they existed in or before the regal period and so fell out of use before proper records begin, but only Quintus and later seem to have been in use by the time of the Republic. That said, most of the remainder proved very durable - Octavius and Nonus were rare, but the others fairly common in Italy if not in Rome. I think Septimius is a gens name, though, with Septimus being the praenomen - Octavius is an odd exception to the general rule there.

By the time we get to hear of them, the association between the name and the order of birth seems to have been almost entirely eliminated in any case, with praenomina becoming almost hereditary and so families using, say, "Sextus" almost exclusively for their firstborn son.

The female praenomina Prima, Secunda, Tertia and Quarta are attested, oddly enough, but female praenomina in general fell out of use almost entirely by the end of the Republic.

Scarlet Knight
2016-05-16, 08:00 PM
I would advise against changing your name; you will have been born Rhiannon no matter whether you hide it or not.

"’Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself though, not a Montague.
What’s Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O! be some other name:
What’s in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet..."

Peelee
2016-05-16, 10:17 PM
I would advise against changing your name; you will have been born Rhiannon no matter whether you hide it or not.

Why would you quote a passage that screams out "names are arbitrary and meaningless" while trying to say "your name is important and you should keep it?"

Winter_Wolf
2016-05-16, 10:25 PM
The thing about name changes, on some forms (usually government) you still have to put all aliases, which would include your birth name.

That said, my surname is pretty sweet, so I ain't divulging it. Also it's Scandinavian rather than German.

Shall I dub thee "Ulric Weissmann"? If you don't want it I'll keep it. I may have need of an alias at some point.

factotum
2016-05-17, 02:14 AM
While the pattern is obvious, the first four don't seem to have been used commonly if at all in recorded history, which is strange as one would have thought, given their likely origin, they'd also have been by far the most common.

Maybe they only started using the numbers when they ran out of decent games to give their sons, and all of them knew at least four good names to use? :smallsmile:

Vinyadan
2016-05-17, 03:07 AM
Interestingly, Primo, Secondo, Terzo (rare) and Quarto (old) are still used.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-17, 03:58 AM

Your quote backs me up. :smallbiggrin:

And I'm sick of having a female name that I hate. There's literally no chance that I'm keeping it; the only reason I've kept it this long is because for a long time I didn't have the money or transport available to go through the name-change process.

Thanks for the advice, however; I appreciate all input! :smallsmile:

FinnLassie
2016-05-17, 05:37 AM
I have to agree with the origins-kind of name, be it from family history or your recidence/past recidences, perhaps based on the place where you grew up or what you felt like was your home.

I changed my last name to my grandmother's maiden name - and I was super close to change my name to her mother's maiden name... but htat would've been much more expensive. :smalltongue: Anyways. I've never felt more connected to my roots.

But in the end your name should reflect you, show who you are, it's fully your decision be it a pretentious name or not. You do you.

Iruka
2016-05-17, 05:57 AM
I think Septimius is a gens name, though, with Septimus being the praenomen - Octavius is an odd exception to the general rule there.

I know a guy from Romania named Septimiu. Not claiming that this proves anything, of course.

Vinyadan
2016-05-17, 06:17 AM
I know a guy from Romania named Septimiu. Not claiming that this proves anything, of course.

Gens names from Roman times have sometimes later been used as first names. Julius and Julia, Claudius and Claudia come to mind.

Aedilred
2016-05-17, 07:38 AM
Maybe they only started using the numbers when they ran out of decent games to give their sons, and all of them knew at least four good names to use? :smallsmile:

Another theory is that the numeral names corresponded not (or perhaps not just) to birth order but to the month in which the child was born. That would account for the popularity of Quintus and Sextus (corresponding roughly to July and August) but not of Decimus (a bad month for childbirth in antiquity, one would have thought), or for the complete absence of Secundus to Quartus, which one would again have thought would be common.

Your theory may be correct - I guess you call the first four Lucius, Gaius, Marcus and Titus (which were, iirc, the four most common praenomina) and then switch to numbers thereafter. :smalltongue:

Elenna
2016-05-17, 08:55 AM
Yeah, Everard definitely gives off pretentious vibes for me. It's not a huge deal, especially if you want a fancy name for writing/publishing purposes, but it might be something to think about.

Edmund is a wonderful name. It is a little on the unusual side these days but I don't think it would be considered comical or raise many eyebrows - unless people are determined to compare you to Blackadder, but that's probably no bad thing in itself.

Blackadder? :smallconfused:
*googles*
Oh... okay then. I'm not much of a TV person, I guess.

Anyways, agreed that Edmund is a great name - but my immediate association is to the character in C.S. Lewis' Narnia books. Which is also no bad thing, as long as you're old enough to be the Just King and not the small boy tempted by sweets. :smallsmile:

Marcus Amakar
2016-05-17, 09:36 AM
I like the sound of Edmund Marshall.

sktarq
2016-05-17, 10:27 AM
Edmund will catch you less flack than Everard. Edwin pay also be considered in a similar verbal vein.

You could always play up the great queen origin and go for Mercury as a surname
Or pick a colour Black, Grey/Gray, White, Brown, Green/Greene (I even know a woman Light-Blue but wouldn't recommend that)
Ash does sound good though-if you have a sound or letter preference it may help in generating ideas

But what do I know the last person I helped change his name went for Firepenguin Discopanda (not kidding and he changed it back eight years later-I was the nitwit who got him to make it (semi?)legal. Just don't be like him and get tattoos of it to mark the occasion m'kay?

Vinyadan
2016-05-17, 11:06 AM
If you call yourself Sigmund, instead of Edmund, all Crawl players will cower in your presence!

How old was Firepenguin when he got his name?

SirKazum
2016-05-17, 11:08 AM
If you're married or planning to be married in the more or less near future, I'd go with your spouse's surname. It's uncommon for men to adopt their wife's name, so it might have escaped your attention. (I'm adopting my fiancée's surname when I get married next month, but still keeping my own as well. And I get to keep my initials, so that's a plus :smallbiggrin: ) Failing that, if it were me, I'd probably go with a name from some ancestor that got dropped along the way. Call me a square, but I think surnames shouldn't be too arbitrary. As others have said, there's a significant potential that this will be the start of a lineage, so it bears some thought.

And yeah, I'd go with Edmund over Everard, but honestly, as long as it's something you can find in a medium-sized city's phonebook, I wouldn't worry too much about the first name being too pretentious or old-fashioned or whatnot. When my brother named his kid Oscar, people got on his hair for going with an "old man name", but by now everyone's used to it. And in any event, you can always use a pen name for writing - I know I probably will if I get around to "serious" publishing, my real name is rather hard on international audiences. I think it's important to pick something that means a lot to you, personally, and that you'll be comfortable with for the rest of your life.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-17, 01:44 PM
Anyways, agreed that Edmund is a great name - but my immediate association is to the character in C.S. Lewis' Narnia books. Which is also no bad thing, as long as you're old enough to be the Just King and not the small boy tempted by sweets. :smallsmile:

I'm a middle-aged guy tempted by sweets. Does that count? :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I'm about 95% sure I'm going with Edmund. I'm also about 95% sure I've got my last name picked out, too (it's non-pretentious), but much as I like you people, I don't know if I should randomly publish my actual full name (even if it's a future actual full name) on public message boards. :smallwink:

FinnLassie
2016-05-17, 01:49 PM
I'm a middle-aged guy tempted by sweets. Does that count? :smallbiggrin:

Sweetie McCandyface? That's a proper name!

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-17, 01:50 PM
Sweetie McCandyface? That's a proper name!

Yes, that's a real improvement over Rhiannon! :smallbiggrin: Why didn't I think of that? :smallwink:

"We're on a first-name basis here."
"Okay. Mine's Sweetie."
"...."

FinnLassie
2016-05-17, 03:40 PM
Yes, that's a real improvement over Rhiannon! :smallbiggrin: Why didn't I think of that? :smallwink:

"Okay. Mine's Sweetie."
"...."

Honey Pumpkin would be another choice.
Or Candy Corn. Gives a nice autumn-y flavour to it.

Peelee
2016-05-17, 03:47 PM
much as I like you people, I don't know if I should randomly publish my actual full name (even if it's a future actual full name) on public message boards. :smallwink:

Now, see, if you'd gone with Lee as your last name, you probably wouldn't have anything to worry about. It's handy, is what I'm saying here. Sea of anonymity.

Vinyadan
2016-05-17, 04:07 PM
Honey Pumpkin would be another choice.
Or Candy Corn. Gives a nice autumn-y flavour to it.

Omelette au Fromage also has a very nice flavour :P And, if you write it Omlet O'Fromag, you can make it pass for a heroic Celtic name. Like Barach O'Bama.

BannedInSchool
2016-05-17, 04:19 PM
Anyway, I'm about 95% sure I'm going with Edmund. I'm also about 95% sure I've got my last name picked out, too (it's non-pretentious), but much as I like you people, I don't know if I should randomly publish my actual full name (even if it's a future actual full name) on public message boards. :smallwink:

Go with "Fitzgerald" and people would have to work hard to find you in particular. :smallwink:

TheThan
2016-05-17, 04:38 PM
Go with "Fitzgerald" and people would have to work hard to find you in particular. :smallwink:

Yeah, i was going to pop in and mention Fitzgerald, as a joke.
there's "a song by that name" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A). Since you want to avoid another name of a song then yeah, i figured I'd better warn you off.

That being said, both Edmund and Fitzgerald are both fine names, just not combined together.

Peelee
2016-05-17, 05:05 PM
That being said, both Edmund and Fitzgerald are both fine names, just not combined together.

I disagree, though i understand the people who think it would be a wreck.

BannedInSchool
2016-05-17, 05:43 PM
If you're avoiding names associated with songs then also avoid "Tom Sawyer".

Catch the fish!

razorback
2016-05-17, 05:51 PM
A bit of tangent advise - When we went to name my son, the wife and I put lists of names together for boys and girls as we decided to keep in interesting and not know the gender.
Now, my (our) last name is Italian and sounds like a pasta so I was very cognizant of the teasing that went along with that. I shot down a lot of names on the wife's list with 'Kids are going to tease him if we name him Fred as 'Freddy Spaghetti'" as an example. Just might want to keep that in mind if you plan on having kids in the future.

That being said, Everard just looks hard to pronounce and people will probably get it wrong a lot on the first try. Trust me from someone who gets their last name butchered on a weekly basis.

That being said, what do you want out of the name?
Common or uncommon? Something that is going to stand out or be barely a blip on the radar? Something, when heard, is going to get someone to think what you want them to think?

Personally, I've always liked the sound of 'Magnusson' as a last name, with the Magnus root.

Professor Gnoll
2016-05-17, 06:39 PM

"Okay. Mine's Sweetie."
"...."
"Can I just call you Mr. Uberdecimator instead...?"

Scarlet Knight
2016-05-17, 08:29 PM
Why would you quote a passage that screams out "names are arbitrary and meaningless" while trying to say "your name is important and you should keep it?"
Because changing a name doesn’t solve anything important; the rose still smells sweet, but also still has thorns. Juliet thought as a child thinks: if Romeo could “be some other name” their problems would resolve. But it wasn’t the name that was the problem. If Romeo could “deny his father and refuse his name” would the Capulets accept him? Would her father let them wed? No, because he will always be a deceptive Montague sneaking around in a mask no matter what he called himself. Worse, his family and friends would now see him as a turncoat. Often the problems from a name are not really from it.

Your quote backs me up. :smallbiggrin:
And I'm sick of having a female name that I hate. There's literally no chance that I'm keeping it…
Thanks for the advice, however; I appreciate all input! :smallsmile:
If you are truly set on changing your name, I honestly hope you find one that makes you happy. :smallsmile:

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-17, 08:46 PM
Now, see, if you'd gone with Lee as your last name, you probably wouldn't have anything to worry about. It's handy, is what I'm saying here. Sea of anonymity.

Admit it, good sir, you're just a fan of Robert E. Lee, aren't you? :smallsmile:

Omelette au Fromage also has a very nice flavour :P And, if you write it Omlet O'Fromag, you can make it pass for a heroic Celtic name. Like Barach O'Bama.

Omelette with Cheese, eh? :smallbiggrin: Incidentally, not as anything political but just as something amusing, my wife, who's from Russia (Kazakhstan specifically) says that when Barack Obama was elected, a lot of people she knew thought he was Irish -- and that the name was spelled O'Bama. :smallsmile:

I disagree, though i understand the people who think it would be a wreck.

I live not too far from that wreck, as the crow flies.

"Can I just call you Mr. Uberdecimator instead...?"

Sweetie Uberdecimator. We have a winner, folks!!! :smallbiggrin:

BannedInSchool
2016-05-17, 09:01 PM
Biggus Diccus?

Professor Gnoll
2016-05-17, 09:20 PM
Biggus Diccus?
I find this name... risible.

Crow
2016-05-17, 09:27 PM
Everard Johnny Hardcore III

Peelee
2016-05-17, 09:37 PM
Because changing a name doesn’t solve anything important; the rose still smells sweet, but also still has thorns. Juliet thought as a child thinks: if Romeo could “be some other name” their problems would resolve. But it wasn’t the name that was the problem. If Romeo could “deny his father and refuse his name” would the Capulets accept him? Would her father let them wed?
YES! "Hello, Mr. Capulet, my name is Romeo Lee. Of the Boston Lees. I'm marrying your daughter k bye!" Done! Call it a day, be happy, hope it wasnt a mistake because thats REALLY rushing into things.

The killings were what would have unravelled things, admittedly.

Anyway, i have yet to hear that anyone wants to change who they are by changing their name. The name is explicitly called out as the problem. How would changing the name not solve that problem?

Biggus Diccus?

I love you guys.

Ashtagon
2016-05-18, 02:05 AM
The thing about name changes, on some forms (usually government) you still have to put all aliases, which would include your birth name.

Aliases are names that you use. A name that you used to use, especially one that you have formally and legally renounced, is not an alias.

Most usually, it is actors and writers who have an alias that would get noted on such forms.

Starwulf
2016-05-18, 02:49 AM
Anyway, i have yet to hear that anyone wants to change who they are by changing their name. The name is explicitly called out as the problem. How would changing the name not solve that problem?

Exactly! While the OP did mention he can't stand his parents/family, the major issue he has with his name is the fact that it is extremely feminine and the fact that he is literally named after a Fleetwood Mac song, and that he wants a name that actually reflects his gender. In this specific case, changing his name literally solves his primary problem. Will it solve his relationship with his family? No, but it sounds like he doesn't care about doing so, and sometimes, that's the right choice. I plan on pissing on my biological mothers grave when she dies, so I understand hate of a parent. As long as changing his name makes him happy and properly reflects his gender which is what he wants, then again, problem solved. Trying to use passages from a centuries old text to say that it won't is silly.

factotum
2016-05-18, 02:54 AM

Don't you mean "wisible"? :smallsmile:

Quild
2016-05-18, 03:53 AM
Keep in mind that this is just a comment from a random guy on the Internet, but Everard sounds like a porn name to me.
That the kind of thing I also intented to say. I wouldn't name myself "ever hard" either.

Oh, I didn't knew this.
My first name (Quentin) comes from Quintus, but I don't have in mind other names coming from other numbers.
So I guess the names of the princes in Stardust don't come from nothing.

I love my first name but unfortunately, Quentin isn't a very well known first name. I was often told from English people that they never heard that name. Until I mention Mr. Tarantino.
The worst of it is that I have a very common last name, which is also a very common first name in many countries. So people tend to switch my names. Like a lot. Really. The very people I'm working with since years still struggles with that. I hate them. Stupid last name.

factotum
2016-05-18, 06:31 AM
I love my first name but unfortunately, Quentin isn't a very well known first name. I was often told from English people that they never heard that name. Until I mention Mr. Tarantino.

They never heard of Quentin Willson who used to present Top Gear in the pre-Clarkson, Hammond and May era? :smalleek:

Winter_Wolf
2016-05-18, 08:21 AM
Aliases are names that you use. A name that you used to use, especially one that you have formally and legally renounced, is not an alias.

Most usually, it is actors and writers who have an alias that would get noted on such forms.

Interesting. But when filling out say immigration applications, you're required to list all name changes. All. But that could well be the exception that proves the rule for all I know. Then again immigration tends to be tighter about this kind of thing than domestic.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-18, 09:01 AM
Interesting. But when filling out say immigration applications, you're required to list all name changes. All. But that could well be the exception that proves the rule for all I know. Then again immigration tends to be tighter about this kind of thing than domestic.

Even so, listing the name on a handful of forms is a far cry from dealing with it on a daily basis, hearing it said, etc. etc. I can solve part of that, too, by never traveling outside the U.S. again. :smallbiggrin: I mean, honestly, once I've gotten my wife back home, what's the point of crossing national boundaries again in this life?

Vinyadan
2016-05-18, 09:05 AM
There's always some over-the-top option. Like, "Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Edmund Grandayatollahofrockandrollah, and I will be your steward today." "Edmund what?" "It's a Welsh name."

Or you could go the Mookie route. "Good day. My name is Roarboar Alphaprimeofthesupernovadragonlords. I am calling you because the Imhoff tank you installed last month in my backyard is already leaking. When can you take a look at it?"

The worst of it is that I have a very common last name, which is also a very common first name in many countries. So people tend to switch my names. Like a lot. Really. The very people I'm working with since years still struggles with that. I hate them. Stupid last name.

Personally, I mainly know it because of San Quentin State Prison, which has become sort of proverbial around here.

Peelee
2016-05-18, 09:13 AM
Grandayatollahofrockandrollah

If I ever need to change my name, I will do everything in my power to change it to that.

Winter_Wolf
2016-05-18, 03:44 PM
Even so, listing the name on a handful of forms is a far cry from dealing with it on a daily basis, hearing it said, etc. etc. I can solve part of that, too, by never traveling outside the U.S. again. :smallbiggrin: I mean, honestly, once I've gotten my wife back home, what's the point of crossing national boundaries again in this life?

Crossing national boundaries could be any reason. But point taken. In any case, I just meant it was a thought to consider, and you probably never will be 100% free of that name. 99% is still very good.

SaintRidley
2016-05-18, 07:18 PM
Another surname option: Fightmaster.

danzibr
2016-05-19, 10:04 AM
While I don't have any name suggestions, I have a relevant story.

I go to a monthly meeting, and several months ago my name was recorded as Ben (real name is Dan, btw). Then last month it was recorded as Eric. I thought to myself... ya know, I actually like the name Eric quite a bit.

Flickerdart
2016-05-19, 11:24 AM
Another surname option: Fightmaster.
It doesn't work as well as it needs to until you've earned the rank of Staff Sergeant.

danzibr
2016-05-19, 11:40 AM
It doesn't work as well as it needs to until you've earned the rank of Staff Sergeant.
New life goal.

FinnLassie
2016-05-19, 11:49 AM
You could go completely mental, Bulldog, and get a Finnish surname.

Like for example:

Veripää (bloodhead)
Nännimäinen (silly translation: nipple-like)
Varvas (toe)
Rinta-Möykky (breast lump)
Jormanainen (silly translaiton: Jeremiah woman (also, um, Jorma is used as a, word, um, for, the dangly bits))

Honestly though, some Finnish names don't mean the translation that I've presented (and there's many many other surnames that can be... misunderstood), but Finnish wordplay is fun. ... I don't think I explained this too well.

lio45
2016-05-19, 12:10 PM
I also think, as an aristocratic Scottish name with a fancy spelling/pronunciation, it fails the "pretentiousness" test. It's fine to be born with it but I wouldn't recommend picking such a name for oneself.

Trade Fleetwood Mac jokes for Braveheart jokes?

A German or French (or Italian or Spanish) last name would work fine (especially for a white-ish guy) in today's America, but if not paired with actual ancestry roots, it's stupid IMO.

You wouldn't want your DeWhatever grandkids exploring their genealogy in school thinking they might have distant Greater Louisiana roots only to find that their grandpa just pulled the name out of a hat.

My honest answer: can't you find an actual family name (distant cousin, distant uncle) in your family tree to adopt?

First name, you want something English and ancient, go with classic -- Alfred, Edmund, Arthur, etc.

(Make sure you're okay with the nickname form "Al" or "Ed".)

lio45
2016-05-19, 12:14 PM
Biggus Diccus?

Well, the first name would ideally be taken from British history, right? And King got suggested at least a couple times as family name... so, a more palatable suggestion but still a variant of yours would be Richard "****" King.

Edit: huh, turns out the forum software censores the common hypocorism for Richard. Who'd have thunk.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-19, 01:09 PM
Biggus Diccus indeed. :smallbiggrin: "Do you find that wisible?"

TheThan
2016-05-19, 02:16 PM
Admit it, good sir, you're just a fan of Robert E. Lee, aren't you? :smallsmile:
Or Christopher Lee, or Bruce Lee, or Stan Lee.

Anyway I’ve hit upon a great idea.
Just use your screen name.
First name: Bulldog
Last name: Psion

Or you could steal a name from a DnD character.

[edit]
if we're going to make jokes about the male member how about just going with Richard Johnson

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-19, 02:47 PM
Bulldog Psion. Well, that would certainly be ... different. :smallbiggrin:

BannedInSchool
2016-05-19, 03:30 PM
Bulldog Psion. Well, that would certainly be ... different. :smallbiggrin:

Write it in Sindarin or Lojban. :smallwink:

Ruslan
2016-05-19, 03:38 PM
I believe that what goes with Everard is two short strong syllables. "Du Mont", as mentioned above, fits the bill nicely. Also consider perusing this list. (http://surnames.behindthename.com/names/usage/english)

Vinyadan
2016-05-19, 04:01 PM
If I ever need to change my name, I will do everything in my power to change it to that.

I am sure that people at the witness protection programme will be enthusiast :smallbiggrin:

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-19, 05:11 PM
Write it in Sindarin or Lojban. :smallwink:

A quick internet search gets me "Mundhu Nauthmaethor" for Sindarin ("Bull-dog Thought-warrior"). Or I suppose you could go for "Mundhu Curunauth," "Bulldog Skill-thought." :smallbiggrin:

Joran
2016-05-19, 06:21 PM
A bit of tangent advise - When we went to name my son, the wife and I put lists of names together for boys and girls as we decided to keep in interesting and not know the gender.
Now, my (our) last name is Italian and sounds like a pasta so I was very cognizant of the teasing that went along with that. I shot down a lot of names on the wife's list with 'Kids are going to tease him if we name him Fred as 'Freddy Spaghetti'" as an example. Just might want to keep that in mind if you plan on having kids in the future.

That being said, Everard just looks hard to pronounce and people will probably get it wrong a lot on the first try. Trust me from someone who gets their last name butchered on a weekly basis.

That being said, what do you want out of the name?
Common or uncommon? Something that is going to stand out or be barely a blip on the radar? Something, when heard, is going to get someone to think what you want them to think?

Personally, I've always liked the sound of 'Magnusson' as a last name, with the Magnus root.

When naming my kids, I had a couple rules:

1) Easy to spell and pronounce. Since my family was going to be pronouncing it too, I needed to make sure they could pronounce it. My father can't pronounce "th" sounds well, so Matthew's out.

2) Common enough that it raises no eyebrows, uncommon enough that there won't be a tremendous amount of overlap. As someone who had one of the most common boy's names, I know how annoying it is to share a name with a lot of people. If there's a lot of overlap, people come up with all kinds of nicknames that don't go by your preference. I knew 4 Jennifers, all Asian, in High School. We eventually shortened their names to Jen, Jeni, Jenni, and Jennifer. The one I knew as "Jen" actually prefers Jenny, so she was mislabeled her entire high school tenure. There's two "Aidans" in my daughter's class and she knows them as "Big Aidan" and "Little Aidan", again, not ideal.

3) Cadence: I have a single syllable last name, so the first name had to have multiple syllables.

Then I had fun. My wife and I came up with a list of names and then had my family and friends vote on them, NCAA bracket style. Reading the comments was hilarious. One name my wife liked a lot, "Tristan", was described by my cousin as "California awful". She also had "Ingrid" destroyed in the poll, which made her sad.

For "Edmund", I like it a lot. The only thing is that it's very uncommon in the U.S. I found boys' names tended to have less variety than girls'. We found a great name for my daughter that's in the 200s in name popularity, but my son is around the 40s mark. "Edmund" isn't even in the top 1000 most popular boys' name recently and its use spiked sometime in the early 1900's, so it definitely has an old fashioned tinge to it.

The two people I most associate with the name are Sir Edmund Hillary and Edmund from the Chronicles of Narnia. In addition, Edmund Halley is also a famous holder of the name. They're all British, so adding again to the old fashioned nature of the name.

It however does fulfill all 3 of the criteria I had set out for my kids, so I approve. I hope you're happy with it, if you decide to go with it.

P.S. For last name, I agree with everybody else. Find something personal to tie it to yourself. Pick either an old relative name, location, or profession, something part of your identity.

BannedInSchool
2016-05-19, 06:42 PM
A quick internet search gets me "Mundhu Nauthmaethor" for Sindarin ("Bull-dog Thought-warrior").

Oh, so another girl's name. NM.

Scarlet Knight
2016-05-19, 07:24 PM
I'm assuming you've discarded the idea of simply getting a nickname like "Ace" or "Bulldog" & forget having to go through the legal change effort.

Starwulf
2016-05-19, 10:17 PM
I'm assuming you've discarded the idea of simply getting a nickname like "Ace" or "Bulldog" & forget having to go through the legal change effort.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you campaigning so hard for him to NOT change his name? Your case earlier wasn't a very good one, because he clearly stated he wasn't running from his attachment to his family, but his very name itself due to it's female connotations, and it seemed like that was the end of it, but now your back and still trying to convince him to not do it. Why? What's wrong with a person changing a name they absolutely can't stand? I can see(albeit barely) your case of not changing it if it's because of hatred towards your immediate family, changing your name really wouldn't change much there, but in Bulldogs case, that clearly doesn't hold up.

Peelee
2016-05-20, 01:02 AM
Eh, i don't see the harm in a nickname (most of my IRL friends refer to me exclusively as Peelee, for instance), except for a couple things.
1 ) you don't give yourself a nickname. That's just uncouth. It needs to be more organic.
B.) "Ace" is one of the worst nicknames ever.

lio45
2016-05-20, 08:11 AM
I've skimmed through the four pages and I'm not sure if anyone with actual legal name changing experience has yet chimed in...

My sister has a weird first name that she's hated ever since she was a kid. For many years, she was looking forward to legally changing it. In her early 20s, she invested the time and money into the effort -- she gathered the necessary sum and made an official request.

She had to explain in the request that her given first name had been an unnecessary burden for her, and that she was fed up with having to go through life with every single new contact having to have her name spelled out, new contacts usually butchering it on their first tries, etc. and that her life would be so much nicer if she had a more "normal" name.

Her selected choice for a new first name was a very common girl name and it even happened to share the last half with her current weird first name, she figured that would make the request easier to get accepted -- that's why she chose that one. She wasn't picky anyway -- any common name would've been fine.

The Registry of Civil Affairs' reply came a month or two later: "Request denied: the prejudice caused to you by your current first name does not seem severe enough to us to justify a legal name change". Their answer was pretty elaborate and showed some analysis of my sis' arguments that were explaining that her first name was a burden.

Now, this was a request to change a weird first name for a common first name that shared nearly half of its letters with the former.

I can only imagine the kind of resounding "No way!" answer that she'd have gotten if my sis had tried to change BOTH her first and last name -- seems to me changing the last name is even more serious business -- and had suggested something that sounded like a D&D character name as her new complete name.

P.S. The money paid in fees by my sis for the legal name change request was, needless to say, not refunded.

Edit: Note that this wasn't in Wisconsin, maybe you're just lucky and WI happens to treat legal name change very lightly. Have you already discussed with the state department that handles legal name changes? How likely is it to end up working...? You might also have to settle for a less ambitious request than changing both names.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-20, 08:18 AM
I'm secretly tempted (even though I won't) to take the name "Leomund," which actually makes sense in Old English (lion+protection). :smallwink: And to put one of those carved wooden signs outside my house: "Yes, this really is the tiny hut." As a sort of geek Easter egg. :smallbiggrin:

Good sir, while I appreciate your concern, I no more want the name "Rhiannon" attached to me than I want to be named "Hitler Tedbundy Smith." :smalleek: While it's nowhere near as ghastly as that, actually it's still a 100% female name attached to someone who doesn't feel feminine. And it's the name and theme of a, in my opinion, saccharine-sounding pop song that 50%-75% of people who encounter it instantly associate, correctly, with that song.

Only lack of opportunity (long story) has prevented me from changing it sooner. Now that I can, I can't see any reason not to get rid of it.

Edit:

Edit: Note that this wasn't in Wisconsin, maybe you're just lucky and WI happens to treat legal name change very lightly. Have you already discussed with the state department that handles legal name changes? How likely is it to end up working...? You might also have to settle for a less ambitious request than changing both names.

I could always do it stepwise; the Rhiannon is the main thing I want to remove like a giant hairy wart anyway.

You fill out a petition and a couple of other forms, and hand them in (with a fee) to the Clerk of Courts. Then you publish a notice once a week for three weeks in a local newspaper. At the end of that time, the newspaper sends you an Affidavit of Publication. Then you take that, go to your name change hearing, hand that over, provide a reason for the change, and either get it changed or not.

If I pick a reasonable first name, I can't imagine it being refused, considering my current name is demonstrably the wrong gender and is, as noted, the name of a pop song to boot.

Quild
2016-05-20, 08:40 AM
Can you really change your name in whatever you like in the USA?

It's really harder in France. You need to have very good reasons for a change and there are some important limitations (I believe you can either change a few letters or take the name of your mother or grandmothers, that kind of things).

It's too bad you don't like Ryan. It's not a bad name and it would be easier for your friends, workmates, family and stuff. One of the reasons I don't change my last name, besides how hard it is here, is that I feel like people would find that odd.

Now about your last name, you seem not to like it because it's your parent's one. Well.. It's also your grandfather one, don't you like him either? Sounds like a bad reason to me :/

Edit: Should have readed lio45 before posting, it might answer a lot.

Winter_Wolf
2016-05-20, 08:46 AM
My uncle changed his last name, but in no small part that was due to having spent nearly the entirety of his life believing that his was the surname of the man who raised him. Blended families have been pretty normal for over a century in my hometown, so it's not like he didn't know he had half brothers or that his dad wasn't his biological father.

Literally every document and signature except the birth certificate which indicated different. I think he may have been operating under the assumption that he'd been legally adopted and that included the name change. I don't know if that's what it takes, but that's the one case of name change I know of personally that wasn't due to the person getting married.

In any case, good luck.

Vinyadan
2016-05-20, 08:52 AM
something that sounded like a D&D character name as her new complete name.

Finzoball Fanzipan would be a difficult name to approve, then. Although I could always recycle it if I have two dogs or cats.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-20, 09:10 AM
Now about your last name, you seem not to like it because it's your parent's one. Well.. It's also your grandfather one, don't you like him either? Sounds like a bad reason to me :/

Well, I'm still up in the air on the last name. I might leave it, due to not wanting to risk NOT changing that abomination of a first name, which I think is probably a LOT easier to justify.

My grandfather has a totally different last name, though. My current last name comes from my grandmother. However, my grandfather's name is really weird, plus it's attached to a well-known funeral parlor now. So I don't really want to have his, either, even though I know nothing about the guy beyond his being a short-order cook who served as a machinist's mate on the aircraft carrier USS Ticonderoga in the WW2 Pacific Theater.

Peelee
2016-05-20, 09:14 AM
[lengthy bit about hassles with government in name changes]

Can you really change your name in whatever you like in the USA?

What the hell. I realize that the U.S. culturally places significantly more value on individual rights over government than a lot of places, but the government saying "you can't change your name to this, we find it unacceptable" sounds crazy. You should revolt. Want help revolting? I've never revolted, but it sounds fun. We should revolt. When's good for you?

Also, "revolt" no longer sounds like a real word to me.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-20, 09:37 AM
What the hell. I realize that the U.S. culturally places significantly more value on individual rights over government than a lot of places, but the government saying "you can't change your name to this, we find it unacceptable" sounds crazy. You should revolt. Want help revolting? I've never revolted, but it sounds fun. We should revolt. When's good for you?

Also, "revolt" no longer sounds like a real word to me.

Well, judging by Wisconsin, I doubt they'll give me much hassle. I mean, you can renew your driver's license by mail here; if you do so after it expires, they charge you $5 and still let you renew it by mail.

Having dealt with US officialdom and Kazakhstan officialdom, the American officials are so laid-back and relaxed about stuff by comparison that it's a tremendous relief. :smallbiggrin: Not trying to start a political discussion here, just stating a fact I observed by dealing with the two sets of people in close time proximity when working on my wife's immigration to the U.S..

Hence my confidence at being able to change my name, actually. (My wife, who is from Kazakhstan, was amazed at the fact it can be done. In her country, you can take your father's or mother's name instead, depending on gender, and that's it -- plus you have to pay a lot of fees and even bigger "fees" to do so.)
------
Anyway, people must have overlooked my "Leomund" and "tiny hut" post. :smallwink: I can't imagine this board missing the opportunity to take a few good-natured jabs at me over that. :smallbiggrin:

togapika
2016-05-20, 09:40 AM
I know if I ever changed my name, I'd change it to Maxwell Power, and then after introducing myself I'd ask people to call me Max.

BWR
2016-05-20, 09:47 AM
On the subject of the legal aspect of names, specifically in Norway:

There are a few rules you have to abide by here, for naming and changing names. First of all, there are a few names which are 'copyrighted' so to speak - you cannot call your child or change your name to Bjørnstjerne (one of our major authors) for instance, or Henrik Ibsen. Nor can you call a child something which will be a burden on them. This last bit is to avoid being saddled with something from dickish parents: Anus, Busemand, and Musa are all real attempts - anus, bogeyman and the ***** (or 'the mouse', but we all know what they meant), and certain other names are illegal like Quisling and Hitler. There is also a similar law to prevent unfortunate incidents of foreign names that are homonymous with something degrading or rude in Norwegian. Fitta, for instance, means 'the ****' in Norwegian. There's even a paragraph about not calling your kids animal names, which some people believe makes many ancient and established names illegal (like Bjørn, Ulf, Ylva, Varg, etc.); it doesn't but it is a hrd rumor to squash. You can't have your name forcibly changed if you were named abroad and move to Norway, AFAIK. In practice, they are quite permissive because they realize that being too restrictive does no one any good.

For changing names you have to wait a certain amount of time from first application to confirmation that you still want to change. I am told this is to prevent too many cases of people getting drunk or enamored with a weird name wanting to change back after coming to their senses. If you wish to take a new last name that has 200 or fewer living holders in Norway you have to get permission from each one of them.

BannedInSchool
2016-05-20, 09:50 AM
What the hell. I realize that the U.S. culturally places significantly more value on individual rights over government than a lot of places, but the government saying "you can't change your name to this, we find it unacceptable" sounds crazy.
There are various laws around the world about what you can name your baby in the first place. Some are basically "not anything stupid", but others are a list of approved names you must pick from.

I now if I ever changed my name, I'd change it to Maxwell Power, and then after introducing myself I'd ask people to call me Max.

Related to the Australian race car driver Will Power, perchance? :smallwink:

Aedilred
2016-05-20, 10:36 AM
Related to the Australian race car driver Will Power, perchance? :smallwink:
It's a Simpsons reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfy9Wzj1ROA

I'm always taken by surprise by restrictive laws about what you can change your name to. But yeah, it's a good idea to check what the actual regulations are surrounding it and whether you have to make an "application" which can be refused, or whether you can just send in a notice basically saying "yo, this is my name now" (as in the UK).

Peelee
2016-05-20, 11:37 AM
I'm always taken by surprise by restrictive laws about what you can change your name to. But yeah, it's a good idea to check what the actual regulations are surrounding it and whether you have to make an "application" which can be refused, or whether you can just send in a notice basically saying "yo, this is my name now" (as in the UK).

New plan: Change name to "His Royal Highness," move to UK, wait a few years, and get them crown jewels.

Rockphed
2016-05-20, 10:40 PM
YES! "Hello, Mr. Capulet, my name is Romeo Lee. Of the Boston Lees. I'm marrying your daughter k bye!" Done! Call it a day, be happy, hope it wasnt a mistake because thats REALLY rushing into things.

The killings were what would have unravelled things, admittedly.

As memory serves, Capulet noticed that Romeo was crashing his party and pretty much said "for a spawn of Montague, that Romeo guy is pretty fly. Don't throw him out on his ear, we can maybe use him as an excuse to end the feud." I also maintain that if the idiot teenagers had taken their illicit love before their parents that less death would have resulted.

My first name (Quentin) comes from Quintus, but I don't have in mind other names coming from other numbers.
So I guess the names of the princes in Stardust don't come from nothing.

I know several Quentin parents. One of them has been nick-named "Atilla" by my wife.

In middle school there was a kid named "Lucas George." Subs got his name backwards all the time.

Common enough that it raises no eyebrows, uncommon enough that there won't be a tremendous amount of overlap. As someone who had one of the most common boy's names, I know how annoying it is to share a name with a lot of people. If there's a lot of overlap, people come up with all kinds of nicknames that don't go by your preference. I knew 4 Jennifers, all Asian, in High School. We eventually shortened their names to Jen, Jeni, Jenni, and Jennifer. The one I knew as "Jen" actually prefers Jenny, so she was mislabeled her entire high school tenure. There's two "Aidans" in my daughter's class and she knows them as "Big Aidan" and "Little Aidan", again, not ideal.

"Nae-as-big-as-medium-sized-Jock-but-bigger-than-Wee-Jock-Jock". Crivens! Your daughter obviously goes to school with Feegles.

lio45
2016-05-20, 11:44 PM
I could always do it stepwise; the Rhiannon is the main thing I want to remove like a giant hairy wart anyway.

You fill out a petition and a couple of other forms, and hand them in (with a fee) to the Clerk of Courts. Then you publish a notice once a week for three weeks in a local newspaper. At the end of that time, the newspaper sends you an Affidavit of Publication. Then you take that, go to your name change hearing, hand that over, provide a reason for the change, and either get it changed or not.

If I pick a reasonable first name, I can't imagine it being refused, considering my current name is demonstrably the wrong gender and is, as noted, the name of a pop song to boot.

Yeah, I think it's wiser to try it in steps; first name first...

You know, very worst case, you could simply become "Ryan" without a need for a legal name change...

Peelee
2016-05-21, 07:20 AM
You know, very worst case, you could simply become "Ryan" without a need for a legal name change...

I shorten it to "Rhian," which I pronounce like Ryan in a feeble attempt to conceal its provenance, but I hate that name too. I also hate Ryan by association.

I'd wager that's not an option.

Vinyadan
2016-05-21, 07:47 AM
To me, the most natural change would have seemed Rhiannon > Morannon. Instead of Bill Gates, Black Gate.

Scarlet Knight
2016-05-21, 07:58 AM
As memory serves, Capulet noticed that Romeo was crashing his party and pretty much said "for a spawn of Montague, that Romeo guy is pretty fly. Don't throw him out on his ear, we can maybe use him as an excuse to end the feud." I also maintain that if the idiot teenagers had taken their illicit love before their parents that less death would have resulted.
I may be wrong but I don't remember him wanting to end the feud; he was concerned about his reputation for dishonoring a guest, the resulting chaos, & and was angered at his insolent nephew.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you campaigning so hard for him to NOT change his name?

I have an unfortunate name, and found that it was worse when I was young and in school, but proved to be a benefit as an adult.

However, since Bulldog has made it clear his mind is made up, I'll let the matter drop.

lio45
2016-05-21, 11:42 AM
I'd wager that's not an option.

If that Wisconsin court ends up ruling that he's failed to convincingly demonstrate that being named Rhiannon was causing him actual prejudice in life, I'd wager it might become an option.

My sis (the story I told) eventually kept her name, but she now uses a common nickname that does resemble her weird given name, and found this satisfying enough to drop the idea of a legal name change. It's basically the exact same idea as adopting "Ryan" (male name + common name + very close to his legal name; it's all win).

Peelee
2016-05-21, 11:54 AM
If that Wisconsin court ends up ruling that he's failed to convincingly demonstrate that being named Rhiannon was causing him actual prejudice in life, I'd wager it might become an option.

According to wicourts.gov, they'll only reject it if there is sufficient reason for him to not change his name.

lio45
2016-05-21, 11:55 AM
My grandfather has a totally different last name, though. My current last name comes from my grandmother. However, my grandfather's name is really weird, plus it's attached to a well-known funeral parlor now. So I don't really want to have his, either, even though I know nothing about the guy beyond his being a short-order cook who served as a machinist's mate on the aircraft carrier USS Ticonderoga in the WW2 Pacific Theater.

Interesting! In this case, you would have a really powerful argument to revert to what is your one and only true normal male line family name (your grandfather's), which would basically be the acknowledgement and correction of an abnormality/error two generations ago in the transfer of the family name from one generation to the next.

If I were you, I'd actually be adopting my proper family name, good or bad...

The thing with courts is that you can never be sure you'll get the kind of ruling you want. Maybe the judge will be having a particularly bad day (and is a black lesbian with AIDS who grew up in the street as an orphan) so the ruling could be that this well-educated white cis hetero guy complaint is a somewhat frivolous filing. "Check your privilege, Rhiannon, and stop bothering the courts with such a spoiled person's 'problem'. Refused. Next case!"

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but I saw how stunned and disappointed my sis was, so I'd rather be playing devil's advocate a bit, and prepare you for the fact that it's not going to be an automatic yes, and that it might even be a no, if the stars align against you.

Peelee
2016-05-21, 12:02 PM
Feel free to not answer, but where do you live that the government slapped down a name change request? It seems like only the most frivolous, petty, ******* judge would deny something like that in a place with even halfway reasonable name-change laws.

lio45
2016-05-21, 12:03 PM
According to wicourts.gov, they'll only reject it if there is sufficient reason for him to not change his name.

But they're the ones who get to determine what constitutes "sufficient reason" and what doesn't.

Frankly, a young, smart, healthy, well-educated white cis hetero male going by the nickname Rhion/Ryan doesn't strike me in today's America as the case of someone starting his adult life with a strike against him at all.

Peelee
2016-05-21, 12:04 PM
But they're the ones who get to determine what constitutes "sufficient reason" and what doesn't.

Frankly, a young, smart, healthy, well-educated white cis hetero male going by the nickname Rhion/Ryan doesn't strike me in today's America as the case of someone starting his adult life with a strike against him at all.

Yeah, but it's similar to that part in weddings, where they say, "if anyone has reason these two should not be wed, speak now or forever hold your peace."

It's basically a "auto-yes unless it's challenged" approach, isn't it? I mean, nothing other than your sister's experience has stated anything about needing sufficient cause to change.

lio45
2016-05-21, 12:09 PM
Feel free to not answer, but where do you live that the government slapped down a name change request? It seems like only the most frivolous, petty, ******* judge would deny something like that in a place with even halfway reasonable name-change laws.

Quebec, Canada.

BTW, I wasn't surprised in the least by what Quild said about how France handles legal name change requests -- for that kind of thing, our govt here often sees eye to eye with the way such matters are handled in the old métropole, by contrast with the English way (as reported by Aedilred) that might match the US's way.

I would definitely have expected a legal name change to be serious business in France, and I know you also can't pick just any stupid name for your baby over there, there are rules.

Peelee
2016-05-21, 12:14 PM
Quebec, Canada.

BTW, I wasn't surprised in the least by what Quild said about how France handles legal name change requests -- for that kind of thing, our govt here often sees eye to eye with the way such matters are handled in the old métropole, by contrast with the English way (as reported by Aedilred) that might match the US's way.

I would definitely have expected a legal name change to be serious business in France, and I know you also can't pick just any stupid name for your baby over there, there are rules.

Damn. I can't in good conscience offer to help revolt, because you guys gave us Corner Gas.

If it helps sway you any, remember that Prince once legally changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol. And was thoughtful enough to mail out thousands of floppy discs to media organizations with that symbol in several fonts, I believe. Fun fact of the day.

lio45
2016-05-21, 12:14 PM
Yeah, but it's similar to that part in weddings, where they say, "if anyone has reason these two should not be wed, speak now or forever hold your peace."

It's basically a "auto-yes unless it's challenged" approach, isn't it? I mean, nothing other than your sister's experience has stated anything about needing sufficient cause to change.

Then that's good news for Bulldog...

I seemed to be the only one in here who'd witnessed an actual legal name change request, therefore I chimed in to warn him that he should be researching it before filing something, because if he happens to be in a jurisdiction where there's some analysis of the request instead of an auto yes, then trying to change both his first name and last name to something that has ZERO documented family ties and which sounds like a D&D character's name WILL BE a waste of time and money for him and WILL lead to disappointment.

On the other hand, if it's confirmed that it's like a wedding -- I'd still check with the WI Clerk of Courts if I were him -- then he might want to go for a last name change too, why not.

Peelee
2016-05-21, 12:16 PM
I know when we got married, my wife had to provide a copy of the marriage certificate, but that was only required to waive the fee. Hell, my friends were thinking about changing their last name entirely to something like Rex (note that neither was named Rex; they wanted a badass last name), because it was free.

lio45
2016-05-21, 12:18 PM
Damn. I can't in good conscience offer to help revolt, because you guys gave us Corner Gas.

If it helps sway you any, remember that Prince once legally changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol. And was thoughtful enough to mail out thousands of floppy discs to media organizations with that symbol in several fonts, I believe. Fun fact of the day.

Doesn't strike me as anything that would justify a revolt (I could name a lot more things that I consider would be better reasons for that!). Your family name is kinda like your date of birth in my mind -- you might not like it, but that's what it happens to be. If you were born on a day that's an unlucky number in Chinese mythology, well, sorry for you, but that's how things are. Your official birth date change request might not get approved, and you might have to learn to live with your current one.

lio45
2016-05-21, 12:20 PM
Hell, my friends were thinking about changing their last name entirely to something like Rex (note that neither was named Rex; they wanted a badass last name), because it was free.

That seems ridiculous! No respect for their ancestors at all?

Peelee
2016-05-21, 12:36 PM
Doesn't strike me as anything that would justify a revolt (I could name a lot more things that I consider would be better reasons for that!). Your family name is kinda like your date of birth in my mind -- you might not like it, but that's what it happens to be. If you were born on a day that's an unlucky number in Chinese mythology, well, sorry for you, but that's how things are. Your official birth date change request might not get approved, and you might have to learn to live with your current one.
This is Saskatchewan! Tommy Douglas fought the federal government for free name changes without government contest.

Little Corner Gas joke for ya there. Damn, that was a good show.

That seems ridiculous! No respect for their ancestors at all?

Eh, I don't see how the last name respects ancestors. Imean, hell, one of my patients (name changed for HIPAA reasons) has the last name Funyunring, because his ancestors came to Ellis Island back in the day and their original name was German or Dutch or something, and the worker looked at it and said, "I can't pronounce that. 'Funyunring?' That's your name here. Funyunring." And, douchey as that example is, I honestly don't see the difference between some dude giving a surname a hundred years ago as compared to some dude giving a surname several hundred years ago.

In a similar vein (in the opposite direction, but still totally cheating name-wise), my dad was named Name IV, my brother is Name V, and since I'm pretty sure that since he won't be having any kids ever, my wife and I plan on naming our first son Name VI.

lio45
2016-05-21, 12:57 PM
Eh, I don't see how the last name respects ancestors.

Sure, with such an attitude, of course it doesn't.

In a few decades, Bulldog Psion's grandkids might dump the family name he carefully chose in 2016 because they find it lame, and pick a new one.

A name hastily chosen by an Ellis Island official during the processing of a lineup isn't particularly sacred.

In my case, whether I like my family name or not, I will wear it, just like all my male line ancestors have done since medieval times. Some of them did stuff that is documented (nothing major, i.e. history books caliber, but still documented in family history -- though there's some public stuff permanently named after our family in the area we originate from), and hopefully, my own life will be noteworthy enough to be part of that chain from the point of view of my kids and grandkids.

It seems ridiculous to change that just on a whim, and what family name other than mine could I possibly want to adopt? I have one already, didn't pick it, but it's mine.

Changing it would feel like dismissing all the ancestors who worn it before me.

On the other hand, if that family name had been invented barely a century ago by a clerk in Ellis Island, maybe I wouldn't mind altering it too. I can see where you're coming from...

I'm sure though that someone like Quild would not consider changing his family name an option, ever. That's just not something you do, whether or not you like it.

Peelee
2016-05-21, 01:25 PM
I mean, I can see some names having meaning, and being a badge of pride, or even having a noteworthy ancestor and wanting to continue the lineage.

But, lacking extensive records, whose to say any given surname means anything? What if Mr. John Q. Black's ancestor was named for his shirt color way back when? It's a meaningless name, but there may well be no way to prove it, and "ancestral pride" based solely on the name could be sorely misplaced.

I'm not saying that the names are worthless. I'm pretty sure no person named King was ever actually of royal lineage, but if I was the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King's grandson, you can be damn sure I'd keep that name no matter what, because of a specific person it honors.

It's why I'm planning on having a son named Name VI. Keep the lineage going, I have a lot of respect for my dad and the first Name in the line.

I just think if someone wants to be able to change their name, they should be allowed.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-21, 01:26 PM
Yeah, the family name it more optional for me. The first name is Marked for Death, though. :smallbiggrin:

Vinyadan
2016-05-21, 02:00 PM
I actually understand why one wouldn't want to change his surname. Mine is pretty weird and difficult to remember, as it's only present in a small area in my country, and even in this small area a very similar name is very frequent, so that I have to double check all applications with my name on it. People from other places simply can't cope with it, because it is very strangely shaped. It is a triple possessive on a double diminutive of an ipochoristic and now unused form of a name, with two diminutives attached. So it's like O'Gabeyletsons, if Gabriel were the starting form: Gabe is the hypochorism, -y the first diminutive, -let the second diminutive, O' the first genitive, son the second genitive and s the third genitive, with the problem that the single parts aren't easily recognizable. In spite of this, I wouldn't change it, because it means something to me. I see the surname as an open declaration that I belong to my father's and his relatives' family. I wouldn't stop declaring that without grave reasons, although I wouldn't think bad of people who see it differently. I would, for the same reasons I care about my father's surname, also take my mother's, although it isn't an urgent matter right now.

BannedInSchool
2016-05-21, 02:52 PM
Geeze, the HUGE majority of people who are your ancestors will not have the same last name as you, and many of those other people who do share your name will be less related to you than those that don't. :smalltongue:

Peelee
2016-05-21, 04:32 PM
Yeah, the family name it more optional for me. The first name is Marked for Death, though. :smallbiggrin:

That's a bit long for a first name. Maybe just "Mark?"

Wardog
2016-06-06, 07:28 PM

Denying someone a name change because of their race, sex and gender sounds like an abuse of equal rights rules. Is that really a likely decision?

(Disclaimer: not a lawyer, nor American)

Aedilred
2016-06-06, 09:00 PM
Denying someone a name change because of their race, sex and gender sounds like an abuse of equal rights rules. Is that really a likely decision?

It will depend entirely on the rules/laws in question. Some places have much more stringent equal rights laws than others, and some have much more stringent name-change laws than others. But even if a name change application were turned down for reasons Bulldog Psion believed were discriminatory - and there were laws in place which he thought supported his case - he'd still have to appeal the decision, which would be expensive. A lot of powerful entities (government authorities included) will make decisions or take actions which are - or could be persuasively argued to be - in breach of relevant regulations, and dare the recipient to sue, operating on the (fair) assumption that most people can't or won't pursue them in court.

Hence why it's worth researching what the laws are and how generous the relevant authority is with name changes in the first place. In fact, if the law is more complicated than "fill in the form and get your new name by return of post" it might be worth seeking preliminary legal advice, though that depends how much cash is available really. Even if you can't afford a "proper" lawyer it would probably still be worth putting the word out you're looking for someone with legal expertise: there are plenty of paralegals and the like out there looking to make a bit of money on the side with freelance early-stage legal advice.

Quild
2016-06-09, 04:55 AM
Eh, I don't see how the last name respects ancestors. Imean, hell, one of my patients (name changed for HIPAA reasons) has the last name Funyunring, because his ancestors came to Ellis Island back in the day and their original name was German or Dutch or something, and the worker looked at it and said, "I can't pronounce that. 'Funyunring?' That's your name here. Funyunring." And, douchey as that example is, I honestly don't see the difference between some dude giving a surname a hundred years ago as compared to some dude giving a surname several hundred years ago.
Some people are attached to their last names, but I don't think keeping it gives respect to the ancestors either.
Except maybe if you're called "Greenhilt" or have a title or something like that.

IIRC, my father told me that our family name was given to an orphan some 8 generation ago. That's nothing interesting.

If I was to change my family name, I would take the one of mother's father. Not sure if there is a big difference with having the name of my father's father.
My four grandparents were born with four different family names. Only one remain. How is that fair?

FinnLassie
2016-06-09, 06:24 AM
IIRC, my father told me that our family name was given to an orphan some 8 generation ago. That's nothing interesting.

Oh man. I personally find that extremely interesting.

lio45
2016-06-09, 08:37 AM
Hence why it's worth researching what the laws are and how generous the relevant authority is with name changes in the first place. In fact, if the law is more complicated than "fill in the form and get your new name by return of post" it might be worth seeking preliminary legal advice, though that depends how much cash is available really.

Thankfully for the OP, I think this is settled already -- it's been established that Wisconsin is one of these jurisdictions where you can just fill in a form then receive your new Biggus Dickus driver license a few weeks later in the mail.

SirKazum
2016-06-09, 10:27 AM

Oh man. I personally find that extremely interesting.

I'd think that's actually rather common. Orphans often get named after their town or orphanage, or some standard name for the region (maybe that's why "Silva" is so extremely common in Brazil), or whatever other local practice.

I'm taking on my fiancée's last name, before my own, when we get married this Saturday. Cutting out a surname I got from my mother's side of the family for that. My last name is a bit odd too, in that my father got it from his mother rather than his father, as his parents had a falling off with my paternal grandfather's family around the time he was born, but patched it up later - so all my uncles and cousins actually have a different surname from my father (and my brother and I).

Peelee
2016-06-09, 12:37 PM
Thankfully for the OP, I think this is settled already -- it's been established that Wisconsin is one of these jurisdictions where you can just fill in a form then receive your new Biggus Dickus driver license a few weeks later in the mail.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if any state in the U.S. had any more restrictions. Hell, California has 6 Jesus Christs.

Then again, I was flummoxed to discover that some states won't sell pure grain alcohol, or even lower proofs, and some will but only with an arbitrarily high age restriction, as compared to the rest of the nation.

Joran
2016-06-09, 03:45 PM
Frankly, I'd be surprised if any state in the U.S. had any more restrictions. Hell, California has 6 Jesus Christs.

Then again, I was flummoxed to discover that some states won't sell pure grain alcohol, or even lower proofs, and some will but only with an arbitrarily high age restriction, as compared to the rest of the nation.

Is this where I mention that I live in a County where grocery stores can't sell any alcohol at all? ;) The only allowed seller of hard liquors is the County and restaurants must buy all their wine from our County as well. I cannot have wine or alcohol shipped to my home.

To bring it back to the matter at hand, I was interested to see what my state requires. It sounds very similar to Wisconsin; you fill out a form, pay your fee, and post the notice up on a newspaper (there's a list of allowed newspapers or the clerk might publish it). There's a hearing that may happen but it seems like it's often waived unless the judge has questions. Additionally, other individuals may object to your name change and you have to respond; sometimes this can also lead to a hearing.

Peelee
2016-06-09, 04:00 PM
Is this where I mention that I live in a County where grocery stores can't sell any alcohol at all? ;) The only allowed seller of hard liquors is the County and restaurants must buy all their wine from our County as well. I cannot have wine or alcohol shipped to my home.

To bring it back to the matter at hand, I was interested to see what my state requires. It sounds very similar to Wisconsin; you fill out a form, pay your fee, and post the notice up on a newspaper (there's a list of allowed newspapers or the clerk might publish it). There's a hearing that may happen but it seems like it's often waived unless the judge has questions. Additionally, other individuals may object to your name change and you have to respond; sometimes this can also lead to a hearing.

Dude. Alabama. Trust me, I know dry counties and blue laws. Thing is, it's always been all-or-nothing. You can either get anything you want, or you can't. And hell, even that I figured was because I'm deep in the Bible Belt. But places that allow you to buy alcohol, but only under a certain proof, or need to be over 25? I'll say it again, if someone from Alabama is staring open-mouthed at your liquor laws, something's wrong. Nothing should be more restrictive that the mish-mash of randomized blue laws and dry counties we have down here.

The only time I've ever heard of someone even having a hearing over a name-change request was when Jeff Gillooly tried to change his name to Jeff Stone, and a whole bunch of Jeff Stones tried to block it. And even that went through. And if "I committed a Class A Felony and became too famous for it" is cause enough to get a name change, I don't even wanna think of what would get shot down.

Quild
2016-06-10, 08:22 AM
Hell, California has 6 Jesus Christs.

Jesus Christ, California has 1 Hell!

BWR
2016-06-10, 11:50 AM
Norway has you beat. (https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell#/media/File:Hell_norway_sign.jpg)

Rockphed
2016-06-25, 09:39 PM
In Michigan you can ride your bike (with pedals even) from Hell to Paradise and back in a single day.:smalltongue:

freezingfox
2016-06-25, 10:42 PM
hope you find the name you connect with the most i just recently changed my name myself