PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gestalt - Spheres of Power, Battlefield Control

Ualaa
2016-05-15, 02:49 PM
I was originally going to make a Druid | Wizard, focusing on battlefield control options and party buffs.

We're playing with slightly stronger than normal races (Advanced Race Guide, 10 point standard race builder.... typically +4/-2 (mental or physical), with +2/+2/+2 to the other set of stats, with something like two bonus feats at level one or +4 dodge to AC or something similar), or an uncommon race like Aasimar, Blue, Drow Noble, Half-Giant, Tiefling... or a common race, for Favored Class bonuses possibly).

We're low mythic characters (Mythic Rank 2, no mythic points, no champions strike/guardian's call/trickster's attacks type stuff), and we have to qualify for all selected mythic options at 1st level, which then cannot be changed). This essentially translates to +2 (stat of choice, after the 15 point buy and racial adjustments), and either two mythic abilities and one mythic feat (or the reverse).

We've party wiped, and will be coming in at 11th level, with 62,000gp (average wealth by level).

Other party members include: a defense first Tank (Warder|Psion) with some damage, a reckless melee DPS that doesn't care about anything but DPS (Aegis|Fighter)... he's had 21 of the 60 deaths, a ranged combatant with a dip into Rogue for traps (combination of Monk/Ranger/Soulbolt), and a buffing/healing caster type (Oracle|Incanter). Party optimization level is decent, say a 4/10 to 7/10 range; broken combinations will result in every NPC/Monster using the same constantly, until we stop using the combo.

The campaign is Rappan Athuk with it's expansion, so more undead than anything else, but a lot of oozes, humanoids and fiends, a smattering of other types as well.
The place is nasty, with 61 character deaths over 55 sessions of play, for our style of play/competence/luck etc.

I've since picked up Spheres of Power, and want to use that for this character.

The combination matrix would be, one of: Sphere Druid or Normal Druid or Incanter combined with one of Sphere Wizard or Normal Wizard or Incanter.
Cannot go Incanter & Incanter.

The sphere druid would be wisdom based, the sphere wizard intelligence based, but if multiple sphere classes were played it could be either of those stats. And the Incanter can choose their mental stat, so if combined with a normal druid/wizard the casting could be entirely INT or WIS based.

For battlefield control (walls, difficult terrain, pits, blocked vision), some party buffs, secondary healing support (mythic basically doubles healing spell power, but Spheres of Power has very good Life sphere healing too), summons.... which combination would you use?

Ualaa
2016-05-15, 07:05 PM
I'm leaning towards Sphere Druid 4 / Incanter 7 (continuing Incanter to 16 at 20th level) || Wizard (Diviner).

I like the Diviner, for the boost to Initiative, and can find a Divination spell per level that is useful.

The two things that seem lacking (having a hard time finding within Spheres) are the summons (hence either non-Sphere Druid or non-Sphere Wizard) and the creation of walls of Force/Stone/Thorns.
The Wizard seems a better battlefield control option, as a non-sphere caster, than the Druid.
With an Incanter on the sphere side, I can use INT as my sphere magical stat.

I am not sure how Spontaneous Casting works with a sphere druid, as they have magical talents instead of spells at a given level, so cannot sacrifice an 'x' level spell for a Summon Nature's Ally of the same level.

I wanted summons to be a large part of the build, including Mighty Summons (adds DR 5/Epic, and if the summons brings in a variable number of creatures then it adds +1 to that; won't have mythic power to add the template), as one of the two mythic traits.
Probably go with Mythic Spellcasting for the other, and Mythic Paragon as the bonus feat... so four Mythic Spells, of classes that I have at level one, and that increases my bonus hit points and initiative bonus from mythic tier.

I may end up having to sacrifice the Summon Nature Ally line... but Acadamae Graduate, on the wizard side, will still allow for summons... and with Spell Focus: Conjuration, Augment Summoning, Superior Summoning and the (Mythic) Mighty Summons, my Summon Monster line should be decent.

The Dark Sphere seems capable of covering for a lot of Vision Blocking, Difficult Terrain/Slow to Move Through, or other obstacles that opponents would not want to enter. Dark Sphere, Greater Darkness, Pure Darkness, Snagging Darkness, and Thick Darkness.

Life Sphere is very capable on the healing, and with another healer in the party that role should be rather sufficiently covered. Our archer is leaning towards Range-Touch Destruction (likely Stone Blast) instead of shooting arrows, and also going heavy Life Sphere to remove nasty afflictions of all sorts.

Alteration Sphere provides the equivalent of the Wildshaping, and can be targeted on allies which can be nice.

Adding a splattering of Time & Protection sphere powers, would round it out.

Conjuration, to duplicate an Animal Companion and provide flanks/another target has also caught my eye.

stack
2016-05-15, 09:09 PM
Crystal blast gives good crowd control, as do some other blasts in the Destiyer's handbook (shameless plug). The improved energy wall feat form Destroyer's makes energy wall better cover than the default talent as well. Dark can be awesome for area control as well, if you are willing to spend the spell points to keep it playing nice with your party. Warp works as well, moving creatures around the battlefield. If you are looking for more solid walls, creation or the forge earth talent from nature work, as does the barrier ward from protection (this is a force effect, though the tag was missing. Clarifies in the ask me anything thread I believe)

Hedgewitch with the spiritualism tradition is a bit of a dirty trick in gestalt; your biggest limit, not being a fullcaster, can be fixed by your other side. Works great for all those healing talents you don't need most of the time as well. Get a pile of skills too.

Ualaa
2016-05-15, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at those.

Carboncopy
2016-05-29, 12:39 PM
I would encourage you to consider shifter/incanter over sphere druid especially if you are planning on going the shape shifting route. Alteration sphere is great for buffing yourself and allies especially once you get permanent alteration at level 10. Battle field control can be found in dark, weather, and various destruction shapes. Warp can also play a fun part of making sure your allies are exactly where they need to be.

Life sphere is definitely where it's at for healing. You can give multiple party members fast healing for min per level. Great out of battle healing and for an investment, can have fast healing 5 for hours per level with spell crafting (consult your Dm, as limits may apply)