PDA

View Full Version : PTSD in the playground

RyanM
2007-06-26, 01:00 AM
Obviously not suited to all campaigns, but if you want a more grittily realistic feel to your campaign, or just want to make it harder and more annoying, here are some rules for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Any time a character has a sufficiently traumatic experience, they must make a Will save (DC 15) or suffer from acute PTSD for 1D100 days. They must then make a second Will save (DC 10) against suffering from chronic PTSD for 1D100 years. What constitutes a sufficiently traumatic experience is up to the GM's discretion, but it could include things like: almost dying, dying and being resurrected, witnessing the death or near-death of a comrade, panicking in combat, being kidnapped, or being tortured.

A character suffering from acute PTSD must make a successful will save (DC 10) in order to sleep through the night, otherwise they are either unable to sleep, or plagued by nightmares, and are considered to have not slept. They also suffer flashbacks when subjected to a trigger that is similar to the circumstances which caused the PTSD, when under extreme stress, and randomly. When your character has a flashback is entirely up to the GM's discretion, but there is a maximum of one flashback per day. The other symptoms--hypervigilance, excessive startle response, irritability, etc.--are purely roleplaying.

When subjected to a trigger, stress, or just GM say-so, the character must make yet another will save (DC 10) or succumb to the flashback. A character who succeeds this save is able to function normally, and may not be affected by a flashback until the next day. A character who fails this roll undergoes a flashback for 1D20 rounds. Roll a D100 against the following table to determine the severity:

1-50 - minor emotional flashback, reliving the experience emotionally (in part or in full), though not visually, etc. -2 circumstance penalty to all rolls.
50-75 - major emotional flashback, with minor hallucinations. -8 circumstance penalty to all rolls.
76-90 - complete flashback, mentally reliving the experience. Character is unable to do anything, but does not act out the flashback.
91-100 - complete flashback. Character re-enacts the experience, though possibly not exactly as it occured. The character either becomes Confused or Panicked, depending on the nature of the experience which caused the PTSD (and the nature of the character). A Confused character will attempt to attack a non-existent enemy on a 1-10, and wander randomly on an 11-20; all other effects are per standard Confusion. All rolls attempted during the flashback are made at a -8 circumstance penalty.

A character suffering from chronic PTSD is generally able to act normally, is only prevented from sleeping if you roll a 1 on a D20, and suffers from flashbacks much less often (once per month maximum, still DC 10) and only from much stronger triggers, such as being in a situation that is very similar to the one which triggered the PTSD.

PTSD in NPCs, if used right, can also add a lot to a game. For instance, you rescue a damsel in distress, but the first night of the journey back to her home, she has a flashback and runs off screaming into the woods.

Callix
2007-06-26, 01:29 AM
This sounds like a great disorder for the Sanity variant in UA. You can then treat Acute PTSD as a temporary "insanity" and Chronic as as "permanent insanity". Well thought through, and a victory for realism in systems that use it. But use it with care! An arcane caster is useless if they can't sleep, unless they don't normally sleep (warforged, poss. elves).

Demented
2007-06-26, 01:39 AM
I thought much the same. It might fit much more appropriately if associated with the sanity system.

Except that the sanity system seems more about making you fear wonky/unnatural things than it is about being stressed/scared/mentally scarred.
Sanity checks really ought to be oriented around pain and fear... Not weird extradimensional things that just don't make sense. You don't make sanity checks from watching politics, do you?

DM: "You see a goblin. Roll for sanity damage."

Wizard: "But it's just a frickin' goblin! So it's got green skin and fangs, big deal."

DM: "It's a goblin with over a hundred piercings made of crudely-wrought flint, some with heavily-dangling strings of beads and cheap gemstones. A pus-leaking, warty infection has taken over the left side of its face, forcing its eye on that side half-closed. It tracks you unerringly with its one good eye, mouth twisted awkwardly into a dull, rotted snarl."

Wizard: "... So what's the DC for that sanity check?"

Elderly Wizard: "And that's why I have to roll a PTSD check every time my daughter says she wants to get a piercing."

RyanM
2007-06-26, 02:49 AM
Hm, not familiar with the sanity system, but it does sound like it might fit. Sounds weird, though. And I agree that insanity should mostly be caused by extremely traumatic experiences. For "weird stuff," it should take something reality-shatteringly weird to need a sanity check, like you wake up one morning as the opposite gender, or to a completely different life, or becoming aware of "your" status as a fictional character. Something like that. Things that'd make a person start to question their own sanity. Most of the scenarios I'm thinking of involve memory not matching reality. Anything else would just be another normal day for a seasoned adventurer in a high-magic setting.

Also, Callix, keep in mind that spellcasters will generally have better Will saves.

Callix
2007-06-26, 02:59 AM
I know a caster is unlikely to be affected, but if they are, the effects are catastrophic for them. A fatigued fighter is less effective. A caster with no new spells is useless. Still, the improved resistance chance basically means that the difference between chronic and acute for a caster is duration. If you have a good will save, you will pass DC10 on all but a 1 from quite low levels. A 1 always fails a save.

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-26, 10:03 AM
I thought much the same. It might fit much more appropriately if associated with the sanity system.

Except that the sanity system seems more about making you fear wonky/unnatural things than it is about being stressed/scared/mentally scarred.
Sanity checks really ought to be oriented around pain and fear... Not weird extradimensional things that just don't make sense. You don't make sanity checks from watching politics, do you?

DM: "You see a goblin. Roll for sanity damage."

Wizard: "But it's just a frickin' goblin! So it's got green skin and fangs, big deal."

DM: "It's a goblin with over a hundred piercings made of crudely-wrought flint, some with heavily-dangling strings of beads and cheap gemstones. A pus-leaking, warty infection has taken over the left side of its face, forcing its eye on that side half-closed. It tracks you unerringly with its one good eye, mouth twisted awkwardly into a dull, rotted snarl."

Wizard: "... So what's the DC for that sanity check?"

Elderly Wizard: "And that's why I have to roll a PTSD check every time my daughter says she wants to get a piercing."

Bah! That Wizard wouldn't last very long in one of my games :P That's nothing, I'm going to have to at least once find a way that a character is forced to eat their own brain.