PDA

View Full Version : DM Help So my BBBGY Is a necromancer... looking like this!

Ketiara
2016-05-15, 05:10 PM
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99120207019_MortisEngineNEW01.jpg

This is a general of the invasion of Waterdeep! He will be attacking from the graveyard side, and he is a badass Necromancer!

He is going to target a lvl 19 party consisting of 6 players. He will be a 2nd or 3rd encounter of the day, but at lvl 19 its alright to pressure the players, they have so many hailmarys its crazy.

So what would this structure do if its an epic thing?!? please post your ideas... Ill let you know how I used it to bash my players!

(fun aside, I only use the rule of cool, and wont kill my players, but this has to be epic!!!)

Kane0
2016-05-15, 05:30 PM
Some ideas:

- energy drain (lower max HP, grants temp HP)
- cause exhaustion (with save)
- cause prof bonus drain (with save)
- resistance to damage types equal to what injured him last
- if successfully saves against a spell can redirect it against creature of his choice
- as reaction damage creature that injured him
- reduce damage taken by x
- heal x HP each turn

Dont forget lair/legendary actions, which could primarily be minion summons and controls

Tallis
2016-05-15, 05:35 PM
Surrounded by a necrotic energy field which drains the life of anyone near it to repair itself. As a side effect it also turns anyone it kills into undead. The more people it's fighting (or even near) the more powerful it becomes.

JNAProductions
2016-05-15, 05:38 PM
Gimme half an hour-I'll make a monster for ya.

Ketiara
2016-05-15, 05:49 PM
Gimme half an hour-I'll make a monster for ya.

so far I like your suggestions, and Ive had the same ideas...

Take half a day if you want! especially if that make it even better! Either way, Im looking forward to what you've got!

MrStabby
2016-05-15, 05:50 PM
Well have it generate auras like a level 20 oathbreaker (so saves bonus and extra undead damage - use casting stat), permanent blink (it looks pretty ghostly so put it partially in the ethereal plane). Creatures within 20 feet cannot gain hitpoints. It has a permenant spirit guardians spell up cast as a level 4 spell.

Carriage has a 60 ft fly speed

As legendary actions:
Cast bane (no concentration needed)
Cast animate dead as a level 4 spell (a constant stream of corpses is good)
Cast armour of agathys as a level 4 spell
Cast Fear (slightly weaker than with the blink ability)
Summons a will o' wisp

Its pulled by two spectral horses - they attack as nightmares but share stats with the rest of the carriage.

Then there is a high level necromancer on top.

JNAProductions
2016-05-15, 06:17 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?488152-Black-Necromancer-(And-Pimping-Ride)&p=20782520#post20782520

There you go. Let me know what you think. No lair actions, but he's attacking something else, not sitting at home.

Also, no idea on the CR. So let me know if it seems appropriate.

Ketiara
2016-05-16, 10:00 AM
Its absolutely brilliant!! Very powerful but my necromancer blessed by a god with incredible powers!

Dr. Cliché
2016-05-16, 10:39 AM
How about splitting the throne into distinct sections, which have to be attacked separately and which have their own HP, resistances etc. For example:

1) The spectral horses under the carriage. These are treated as incorporeal and are the only part that can initially be attacked in melee (even with reach weapons), unless the attacker can fly. They can attack nearby enemies with spears. If these are destroyed, the throne floats gently to the ground. It can still move, carried by the horseless skeletons, but at a slower speed (probably 1/2 or 1/3 normal speed).

2) Spectral skeletons (also under the carriage). These are also incorporeal and, until the horses above are destroyed, these can only be attacked by ranged weapons or flying enemies. They can attack adjacent enemies with swords and similar weapons. If they are destroyed and the spectral horses are still alive, nothing of note happens. If both they and the spectral horses are killed, the throne becomes immobile, floating gently to the ground if it hasn't done so already.

3) Throne. This isn't incorporeal (though it and the Necromancer may count as such when moving), but should probably have resistance to damage. Whilst the throne is alive, the Necromancer is invulnerable to all harm and cannot be affected by spells, save for those he casts himself. If the throne is destroyed, all spectral creatures are banished. You could have them explode - damaging anything nearby (save for the necromancer).

4) Flaming Skeletons. Whilst part of the throne, these cannot be attacked separately. The Necromancer may use them to enhance any Necromancy spell with metamagic. Each skeleton contains 5 sorcery points. If the throne would be destroyed by any means, it is instead reduced to 1hp and one of the flaming skeletons is destroyed instead.

5) Flying spectres. Not sure about these (other than them being incorporeal). One possibility is that they could fly off each turn to drain life from a nearby creature, and then return to give the stolen life to the necromancer or the throne. This could heal him (or part of the throne), or restore a flaming skeleton or do something else.

Alternatively, they could be more about defence - with the players having to kill them in order to make the throne itself vulnerable to damage.

Hope this helps in some way. :smallsmile: