PDA

View Full Version : Crafts for a sea fairing monk?

Arvmel
2016-05-15, 06:16 PM
Me and my friends play 3.5 Edition every Wednesday without fail and my primary character that is a dwarf fighter cleric has died or almost died more times than I can count on two hands. Thankfully my god of choice is Balder so thanks to the healing domain I haven't died yet. But I have decided to make backup in case he does die and I chose a drow Monk and my drow Monk has spent years on a ship and he gets a craft but I don't know what kind of seafaring crafts would work best for him all I can think of is ship making I don't want to take that because another player in the campaign has that same crafts any suggestions?

daremetoidareyo
2016-05-15, 06:29 PM
craft: weaving should allow you make nets, including throw nets like in players handbook, but also fishing nets.

Divide by Zero
2016-05-15, 06:37 PM
Are you required to have a Craft skill? Most likely you'll have other more useful places for your skill points.

Does your group have access to the book Stormwrack? Might be worth looking through that for inspiration on what skills might be useful.

Arvmel
2016-05-15, 06:52 PM
Are you required to have a Craft skill? Most likely you'll have other more useful places for your skill points.

Does your group have access to the book Stormwrack? Might be worth looking through that for inspiration on what skills might be useful.

The craft comes with the class and I wanted to integrated because of his backstory to make it more realistic I guess but we do have access to that book and the only craft I saw in that book with ship making

Gildedragon
2016-05-15, 07:13 PM
Craft Alchemy: a sort of herbalist for the crew, making tonics for sea sickness and sleeping draughts (sleep poison) and fermenting some ale below decks. When the time comes for ship upkeep you prepare/supervise the vats of waterproofing, and preparing barrels of powder for the cannons.

Craft Sculpture: to make scrimshaw to pass the long nights of watch (with dark vision he might do a lot of night shifts on the crow's nest)

Geddy2112
2016-05-15, 08:53 PM
craft: weaving should allow you make nets, including throw nets like in players handbook, but also fishing nets.
Additionally, rigging and sails for the ship.

Craft Sculpture: to make scrimshaw to pass the long nights of watch (with dark vision he might do a lot of night shifts on the crow's nest)
You could go for some kind of leatherworking to work the hides in addition to the ivory of marine mammals.

Craft weapons would make harpoons, gaf poles, and even fishhooks.

AnimeTheCat
2016-05-17, 01:18 PM
Could go Craft: Cooking! Make him the ship cook.

Some other options to look at that equally make sense are Knowledge: Engineering or, keeping in line with craft, Craft: Siege Weapon. You are the ships onboard weaponsmith and you make repairs to the ballistae and cannons as needed. A very integral part of a ship that many people overlook.

Psyren
2016-05-17, 03:10 PM
I'd go with Profession:Sailor instead, and have the seafaring monk be the guy who can scramble up to the crow's nest quickly or swing around in the rigging opening the sails. Monk has synergy with that - Spot as a class skill, benefits from Wis, Slow Fall if he slips during a storm, unarmored to climb quickly (or swim, if he falls in the water) etc.

AnimeTheCat
2016-05-17, 04:45 PM
I'd go with Profession:Sailor instead, and have the seafaring monk be the guy who can scramble up to the crow's nest quickly or swing around in the rigging opening the sails. Monk has synergy with that - Spot as a class skill, benefits from Wis, Slow Fall if he slips during a storm, unarmored to climb quickly (or swim, if he falls in the water) etc.

I second all of this. Monk actually seems surprisingly good for sailors.

Gildedragon
2016-05-17, 05:47 PM
I second all of this. Monk actually seems surprisingly good for sailors.
Third! Plus good fort to avoid seasickness...

weckar
2016-05-17, 06:02 PM
(with dark vision he might do a lot of night shifts on the crow's nest)Considering the range of darkvision they get, being up higher would actually be less beneficial...