PDA

View Full Version : You can have one magic item in real life, what is it?

daremetoidareyo
2016-05-16, 12:01 AM
The title says it. You get one magic item to go poof and appear in your in real life hand. What is it? Why that? What are the ramifications?

torrasque666
2016-05-16, 12:08 AM
A Ring of Three Wishes. Proceed to wish "whenever a ring of three wishes that I am wearing is depleted of wishes or is removed from my fingers while it still possesses wishes, a new one appears on my opposite ring finger". Do whatever.

Thurbane
2016-05-16, 12:18 AM
^^

...or if I was being more modest, Ring of Sustenance.

Able to function on 2 hours sleep as if you'd had 8? Yes please!

Troacctid
2016-05-16, 12:23 AM
This question is more interesting if you set a price limit so that the answer isn't "As many Wishes as I'm allowed to have."

Afgncaap5
2016-05-16, 12:26 AM
I'm gonna guess the "can have one magic item" terms somehow get in the way of me trying to game the system, so...

A magic typewriter with a permanent Magecraft effect on it geared toward a +5 competence bonus to Craft (Writing), hopefully one that, somehow, also counts as a mundane "masterwork tool" for getting a +2 circumstance bonus on writing, for a total bonus of 7.

This means that in addition to my regular writing (let's call it passable), I'd magically be writing about 35% better, giving me a real-world bonus to books, stories, poems... heck, even the game sessions that I'd run.

This would easily allow me to write materials that would capably get the attention of most agents or publishing houses I might approach, and then I'd use it to develop a beloved franchise or four that people would grow up with and then remain obsessed with for literal decades of their lives, making me a beloved, wealthy, and still more or less "the same" as I am now. Naturally, in addition to the books, I'd also write for a few animated TV shows and/or supernatural teen drama shows since those also capture people's attention really well.

Fame, fortune, and fun, all through doing work that I'd do for free anyway.

Or if the market's a bit more realistic than that, at least I'll have a lot of great stories for myself. :smallcool:

Divide by Zero
2016-05-16, 01:01 AM
Assuming WBL abuse and custom items aren't allowed? I'd probably go with a Psychoactive Skin of Proteus, as long as it isn't limited to real-life creatures.

GreyBlack
2016-05-16, 02:15 AM
We really should go WBL. Can we just all agree that we're limited to MAYBE level 6 WBL here? I mean, otherwise WBL-mancy goes to 12/10.

daremetoidareyo
2016-05-16, 02:28 AM
sure. GP limit 30k, no wishes or miracles and no roundabout ways of getting either wishes or miracles; other creatures don't grant wishes.

tiercel
2016-05-16, 02:38 AM
^^

This, plus I don't have to eat any more, which would be a major relief 99% of the time. If I have some kind of budget to work with and could combine it with a periapt of health? Hello, improved lifespan (and quality of life)! Disease immunity is kind of a yawner in D&D but ridiculously good IRL.

Silva Stormrage
2016-05-16, 02:44 AM
Assuming WBL abuse and custom items aren't allowed? I'd probably go with a Psychoactive Skin of Proteus, as long as it isn't limited to real-life creatures.

Ya at will metamorphisis is pretty good. Frankly even if it IS limited to real life creatures that would still be decent.

One thing that would be interesting to note is that if you are at all public with the use of the item a LOT of people are going to try to steal it if it's something valuable like that. Of course that makes the Skin even better as no one knows it's an item as it's hidden in all metamorphsis forms.

Another cool item is the Admiral's Bicorne. +5 charisma rolls +5 to leadership (Not sure if this applies) and +2 to all skills. +2 is a significant bonus to us lowly low level experts. It would make you fairly competent at EVERYTHING, I don't know other non custom items that give bonuses to all skills but if there is another one thats like +10 or something that would also be pretty good.

If I am allowed to cheat a bit and get a phylactery that actually works for me (And would return me to adult age if I die due to old age) that would probably be my choice. (Hey it IS a magic item)

Other than that, any item that grants increased lifespan/immortality. Of which there aren't that many.

Tasmia's Heart, doubles lifespan + freedom of movement and helm of underwater action.

Command item or some item that doesn't need to be a spell caster to use of Kissed With the ages. Which essentially turns a particular piece of jewelry indestructible and you don't age as long as you have it. Losing it means you start aging and take penalties. You always know where it is though, so plus.

The Gray Portrait from Champions is an artifact but also prevents aging and diseases (And negative levels but thats not really relevant) so that would be my choice if artifacts are allowed. You instantly start to age if it is destroyed, but as a major artifact I really don't think it ever will be in our world so that would also be a good choice.

I don't know of any other items that boost lifespan though.

Edit: Ah 30k price limit missed that.

The Gray Portrait is technically price N/A so it might count :smalltongue:

The command item of Kissed with the Ages also is probably under 30k so that would be my go to choice.

Another item sitting at exactly 30k is a platform of healing from Stronghold Builder's guide. Anyone walking on it is instantly healed as the spell. Removes the penalties of sleeping so you can probably go without it. Set up a hospital and make a ludicrous amount of money with the thing as well as being able to cure a whole ton of people. 10ft Diameter so as many people that can walk across it each day. Thats enough to essentially cure every person with cancer in the United States within a year easily.

Crake
2016-05-16, 03:24 AM
This, plus I don't have to eat any more, which would be a major relief 99% of the time. If I have some kind of budget to work with and could combine it with a periapt of health? Hello, improved lifespan (and quality of life)! Disease immunity is kind of a yawner in D&D but ridiculously good IRL.

combination of sustenance, periapt of health and periapt of proof against poisons. Then again, I live in australia, so every second creature I come across, I worry whether it has some kind of poison that could kill me, probably not such an issue in other countries. Endure elements would be nice too. If I could, put a ring of regeneration effect on there as well. That basically makes you impervious to anything short of instant death of some kind.

Bullet06320
2016-05-16, 03:52 AM
combination of sustenance, periapt of health and periapt of proof against poisons. Then again, I live in australia, so every second creature I come across, I worry whether it has some kind of poison that could kill me, probably not such an issue in other countries. Endure elements would be nice too. If I could, put a ring of regeneration effect on there as well. That basically makes you impervious to anything short of instant death of some kind.

I think everything can kill you in aussieland,I have no idea how anyone survives there

for me though, I think a Ring of Sustenance combined with continuous prestidigitation.

Efrate
2016-05-16, 04:49 AM
A teleport without error/greater teleport item of some kind. If I make it specific to just me when wearing a certain hat or something I think I can get within 30k. Heal platform would be sweet since I have surgery tomorrow. Routine but irritating.

Seppo87
2016-05-16, 04:51 AM
A spellbook. I'm pretty confident I could cast up to level 2 spells with enough training.

ZeroiaSD
2016-05-16, 05:43 AM
Someone's gotta say it:

Hand of Vecna!

More seriously, I would do so much for an item that allowed free shapeshifting... preferably shapechange but I'd settle for an alter self.... though as none of those seem to be pre-existing below the line...

Within the price limit, a carpet of flying is certainly tempting ^^

Oh! Girdle of Opposite Gender. Blows any pre-existing reassignment surgery out of the water. Can do a lot of good for a lot of people with that one.

Vwrt
2016-05-16, 06:01 AM
If the limit is 30,000 gp straight from the book, and I'm pulling a standard version from the PF core rulebook at my desk here rather than shopping through a bunch of splatbooks for more options, I'd be tempted by a helm of telepathy. Detect thoughts and suggestion would come in mighty handy. Although I'd prefer it in hat form or as a ring, even wearing a big clunky helmet would be worth it for the ability to gain all kinds of useful information as well as perhaps influencing politicians to enact sane policies and the like. Alternately, I'd proudly wear a headband of vast intelligence, alluring charisma, mental prowess or mental superiority of the highest octane I could muster. A belt of physical perfection would also do nicely. If we were going to rules lawyer our way around the 30k spending cap we could make it a cursed item with a drawback like 'character cannot cast divine spells' or a limitation like 'character must discard all other magic items,' and then the sky's the limit, so perhaps a headband of mental superiority +6 at that point. A book of infinite spells could also be a hell of a lot of fun.

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-16, 07:27 AM
I tnink it is called the Well of Many Worlds. The thing that can bridge between settings. Worst case, I end up in Darksun or Ravenloft, but that beats working at Walmart for the rest of my life. I would take the risk, and offer anyone else here use of it too.

Oh. I didnt see the 30k limit. Umm... I guess I will have to go book diving to find a way to do it then.

Gnaeus
2016-05-16, 08:18 AM
Lots of good options. Cloak of the Bat sticks out (always be Batman). Plague mask sounds incredibly lucrative while also being convenient. Getaway boots also for the criminally minded. Rod of Splendor is another good option.

Atypical_Necro
2016-05-16, 08:52 AM
A ring of at-will alter self. It would be interesting to assume appearances drastically different from my own to see how that affects the way people relate to me and to see things from a different perspective.

If custom items aren't on the table then I'm throwing in with those who said a ring of sustenance or a periapt of health. Not needing to eat or drink, and only needing 2 hours of sleep or having immunity to disease would be great.

Gnaeus
2016-05-16, 09:03 AM
I think the plague mask is just better than the amulet of health. Casting remove disease on yourself once a week or so is functionally the same as immunity to disease, but much more lucrative in the sense that you can also cure the diseases of others.

Willie the Duck
2016-05-16, 09:08 AM
Depends on whether I want to keep on living "my life." Most of the really cool items like shapechanging or mind control or flying basically upend your life (or do nothing, if you choose not to use them). It sounds really cool (and would make for a really neat movie, ala Ant Man), but would likely end in a really short life, it getting stolen, etc. etc. If I'm not looking for that, just about any of the items that enhance your lifespan or quality of life (disease immunity, the above reduced sleep requirements, etc. etc.).

Gildedragon
2016-05-16, 10:36 AM
I'm gonna guess the "can have one magic item" terms somehow get in the way of me trying to game the system, so...

A magic typewriter with a permanent Magecraft effect on it geared toward a +5 competence bonus to Craft (Writing), hopefully one that, somehow, also counts as a mundane "masterwork tool" for getting a +2 circumstance bonus on writing, for a total bonus of 7.

This means that in addition to my regular writing (let's call it passable), I'd magically be writing about 35% better, giving me a real-world bonus to books, stories, poems... heck, even the game sessions that I'd run.

This would easily allow me to write materials that would capably get the attention of most agents or publishing houses I might approach, and then I'd use it to develop a beloved franchise or four that people would grow up with and then remain obsessed with for literal decades of their lives, making me a beloved, wealthy, and still more or less "the same" as I am now. Naturally, in addition to the books, I'd also write for a few animated TV shows and/or supernatural teen drama shows since those also capture people's attention really well.

Fame, fortune, and fun, all through doing work that I'd do for free anyway.

Or if the market's a bit more realistic than that, at least I'll have a lot of great stories for myself. :smallcool:
This is great and so damn practical.

I think the plague mask is just better than the amulet of health. Casting remove disease on yourself once a week or so is functionally the same as immunity to disease, but much more lucrative in the sense that you can also cure the diseases of others.
But this combined with the ring of sustenance...
Though if I was being thrifty: I don't need the bonus v disease. Have the ring with an added 1/day Heal effect (caster level 7, as per artificer pulling from Runescarred Berserker)... And it's barely to the cost limit... Maybe throw in an at-will Remove Disease and I can use that to just treat people in general.

Tohsaka Rin
2016-05-16, 10:56 AM
Going within the 30k gp limitations? Ring of Hypercognition, one charge every two days.

With access to the internet, I can answer basically any and every question that has an actual answer, and the slightest scrap of information online. I can also find every damn thing I misplaced, eventually.

It once took me almost two years to find a DS game I lost, because it had fallen off of my desk, and into the pages of a magazine... That I unknowingly put into a stack of other magazines a foot high. Never again.

Troacctid
2016-05-16, 12:27 PM
Oh! Girdle of Opposite Gender. Blows any pre-existing reassignment surgery out of the water. Can do a lot of good for a lot of people with that one.
Gender-swapping is actually one of the randomized curses that can show up on any magic item, so you could get it as a free bonus on whatever else it is that you pick out. I don't know if it would do a lot of good for a lot of people though—doesn't the effect wear off when you remove the item?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-16, 12:36 PM
Can I pay 15k for an item that grants me one feat, that feat being Wedded to History (golden ager)? I'll spend the other 15k on cheap practical items, like a ring of (divinely) persistent swift fly and other bargain-bin utility spells (maybe there's a level 1 alter self on some spell list). Oh, and an item of +2 intelligence would be nice.

Telonius
2016-05-16, 01:21 PM
An item of 1/day Magnificent Mansion (Cast at 13th level), restricted to my class/alignment (whatever that ends up being) to get the price under the 30k limit. Rent is sky-high around here. Free food and housing for me and my family for as long as I live? Sounds like a great deal!

Also, how badass would that be to host my next D&D game there? :smallcool:

OldTrees1
2016-05-16, 01:39 PM
What does it cost to have an item that can cast an artificer infusion a few times per day? Surely there are some nice infusions we can spread around (instead of having magic item X, have an item that grants everyone X as needed).

Gildedragon
2016-05-16, 01:49 PM
What does it cost to have an item that can cast an artificer infusion a few times per day? Surely there are some nice infusions we can spread around (instead of having magic item X, have an item that grants everyone X as needed).

X/day item of ollidamara's bard spell or anyspell + spellbook?

DirePorkChop
2016-05-16, 02:24 PM
I would want a ring with Cure Disease the maximum number of times per day only usable by myself and direct descendants of my loins from 3:00 pm to 5:00 pm. You would make a ridiculous amount of money. I would go to the US government and basically offer them my services in return for protection from people who would seek to steal my ring and it's powers. Think of the sheer applications of this. We could find out is Alcoholism is really a disease. Cancer could be a thing of the past. Aids-B-Gone in a can. The world would be a lot less scary when disease is not a thing.

Gildedragon
2016-05-16, 02:51 PM
Box with a Resseting Trap of Heal

Or something using urpriest to give mass heal, greater restoration and regeneration at will, and a single use of Planar Ally: Lantern Archon. Task the Archon to teleport around the world healing everyone.

Yes it is SUPER cheesy, but it is the only magic the world is going to get as far as one knows, best make it as powerful and useful as possible

Silva Stormrage
2016-05-16, 03:19 PM
Once we get into custom magic item this quickly becomes "How fast can I get infinite wishes". Which is pretty easy since I believe you can get planar binding as a 4th level spell. Lets try to limit it to non custom items.

... I am honestly surprised no one has mentioned a Candle of Invocation yet.

ace rooster
2016-05-16, 04:43 PM
+5 tomb of understanding, closely followed by a headband of intellect +6. The tomb is better because I can't lose it or have to explain it.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-16, 05:41 PM
+5 tomb of understanding, closely followed by a headband of intellect +6. The tomb is better because I can't lose it or have to explain it.
I think a tomb is much harder to explain than a headband, but to each their own.

Scorponok
2016-05-16, 07:00 PM
I dunno, I'd be worried about choosing a magic item per se. Items can get lost, stolen, or taken away if a Nazi organization ever came into power. I'd rather choose items that can be consumed and you get that particular bonus forever. Are there any items like that in D&D?

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-16, 07:09 PM
Either the ring of three wishes...

Assuming WBL abuse and custom items aren't allowed? I'd probably go with a Psychoactive Skin of Proteus, as long as it isn't limited to real-life creatures.Or this.

Plus, you'd have de facto immortality, so long as you don't take it off, as you can just keep giving yourself a young adult body, so aging isn't an issue. And any diseases you might have won't last long when you metamorphosis into a fire elemental. And each use of the skin will heal you, so any damage that doesn't instantaneously kill you can be healed in short order.

Most valuable item in the game, outside the aforementioned ring.

If I have to go under 30,000 gp? I'd want a thought bottle, already attuned to me, and filled with 2,000 xp (to make up the difference between the 20,000 gp price tag and the 30,000 gp limit, as each xp is worth 5 gp). Then I would gain 2,000 xp and be able to gain levels (since that would bump me up to level 2 as a D&D character). That would undoubtedly be even more valuable than either of the above, now that I think about it. At least, so long as I could keep gaining levels.

RyumaruMG
2016-05-16, 07:12 PM
Either a Ring of Shapechange or a Heward's Handy Haversack. I honestly can't decide which.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-16, 07:16 PM
Another item sitting at exactly 30k is a platform of healing from Stronghold Builder's guide. Anyone walking on it is instantly healed as the spell. Removes the penalties of sleeping so you can probably go without it. Set up a hospital and make a ludicrous amount of money with the thing as well as being able to cure a whole ton of people. 10ft Diameter so as many people that can walk across it each day. Thats enough to essentially cure every person with cancer in the United States within a year easily.Unfortunately, that means that the platform would be illegalized in short order. The medical industry doesn't want to cure people. You don't make money that way. They want to treat people. That's why they haven't cured anything in decades, and why doctors at hospitals have prescription quotas. If they don't meet their quotas, they lose their jobs.*

*So said one of my mother's old boyfriends, who actually was a doctor and was forced to overprescribe meds to people if he didn't meet his quota naturally.

Silva Stormrage
2016-05-16, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately, that means that the platform would be illegalized in short order. The medical industry doesn't want to cure people. You don't make money that way. They want to treat people. That's why they haven't cured anything in decades, and why doctors at hospitals have prescription quotas. If they don't meet their quotas, they lose their jobs.*

*So said one of my mother's old boyfriends, who actually was a doctor and was forced to overprescribe meds to people if he didn't meet his quota naturally.

I get the idea behind that mentality but if the government ACTUALLY made an instant auto cure for all diseases illegal there would be riots to such a degree.

Like, I don't see that being possible in any sense without having actual people with pitch forks burning their headquarters down.

While true this device would be ludicrously unprofitable for the medical industry and I could see them try to put restrictions on the device or trying to make it so that FDA has to get it screened for 20 years before it could be used or something. But I can't imagine it sticking for a LITERAL miracle cure. Too big of scale difference.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-16, 08:41 PM
I get the idea behind that mentality but if the government ACTUALLY made an instant auto cure for all diseases illegal there would be riots to such a degree.

Like, I don't see that being possible in any sense without having actual people with pitch forks burning their headquarters down.

While true this device would be ludicrously unprofitable for the medical industry and I could see them try to put restrictions on the device or trying to make it so that FDA has to get it screened for 20 years before it could be used or something. But I can't imagine it sticking for a LITERAL miracle cure. Too big of scale difference.Or just lie about it.

"Oh, we tested it, and it has horrible side-effects, which we are not at liberty to discuss to protect the victims." Y'know, politics.

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-16, 08:42 PM
Hmm... I wonder if we could clone trolls from trollgut rope? Then try to find the genes for regeneration.

Silva Stormrage
2016-05-16, 10:47 PM
Or just lie about it.

"Oh, we tested it, and it has horrible side-effects, which we are not at liberty to discuss to protect the victims." Y'know, politics.

Yaaaaa I don't think people would buy that. Even if they somehow DID make it illegal. I could you know, just move to a different country? I REALLY doubt Norway or Iceland would impose such restrictions.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-05-16, 11:21 PM
I'm going to second a Ring of Sustenance. You completely eliminate your need for food (how much do you spend on food on average a month? I know I'll save a triple digit number every month). And you get an extra 6 hours every day. Not to mention all the time your not spent acquiring, preparing, and consuming food and cleaning up the mess that comes with it.

flappeercraft
2016-05-17, 12:02 AM
I would get a tome of clear thought +5 that is usable by only lawful neutral commoner/expert with any knowledge skill rank to reduce the price to be able to get it for 30k or less. That way I get a way of becoming much smarter permanently since there is no way of taking that bonus from me or any item to steal.

Snappy
2016-05-17, 12:10 AM
I'm gonna be really boring and say a war wizard's cloak. Constant endure elements and feather fall? Check and check. I hate heat, cold, and heights, so it would be perfect. Plus a 1/day dimension door and sending are pretty cool, too. Not much use for mage armor or protection from arrows, but if someone decides to pull a bow and arrow on me, they'll never see it coming :P

Silva Stormrage
2016-05-17, 12:38 AM
I'm gonna be really boring and say a war wizard's cloak. Constant endure elements and feather fall? Check and check. I hate heat, cold, and heights, so it would be perfect. Plus a 1/day dimension door and sending are pretty cool, too. Not much use for mage armor or protection from arrows, but if someone decides to pull a bow and arrow on me, they'll never see it coming :P

DR 10/Magic would protect you from most low caliber hand guns so that would be useful. Protection from Arrows works on all ranged projectiles, bullets are included in that :smalltongue:

T.G. Oskar
2016-05-17, 12:48 AM

If you stretch the meaning to all projectiles, you can also withstand the effect of bullets with the cloak. It's 5/magic 10/magic against projectiles, and based off d20 Modern, the typical firearm deals 2d6 damage, so that means a certain death-blow turns into a minor nuisance pretty much nothing...if they hit you, which is what Mage Armor provides. Basically, the cape lets you bounce off some bullets and withstand other blows, safely fall from great heights, move up to a certain distance with your mind, be able to survive close to a boiler or in a blizzard with little problems, and send a 25-word message to pretty much anybody... That's a lot of stuff. Now, being a cloak, it means you'll have to wear it proudly, and smart people might connect the dots.

If it weren't because of the 30k limitation, I'd give another vote to the Psychoactive Skin of Proteus, because of the myriad of benefits it provides, even if limited to real life creatures. Turning into a bear can solve a lot of fights. You'd rarely be late for anything (hey, you can turn into a peregrine falcon! How does being the fastest flying creature on the planet sound?) Turning into an elephant or rhinoceros could help in stuff like construction (use the elephant's trunk to move supplies around, or the rhinoceros' big head and bulk as an improvised bulldozer). Since you can pretty much transform into yourself, it's also hidden in plain sight, and since it doesn't occupy a slot, you can wear it at all times, not to mention being pretty much impossible to steal. With fantastical creatures allowed, the possibilities are endless...the possibility of perversion is also endless, but that really depends on how responsible you are.

However...it's nearly three times over the established limit, so it's a no-go. Maybe Mask of Lies or Hat of Disguise? That could be fun, even if it's not as practical.

Manyasone
2016-05-17, 01:12 AM
The ring of sustenance in this world is indeed a deal breaker. I think a 'map of the mind' (DSP) would also have its uses

zergling.exe
2016-05-17, 01:30 AM
If you stretch the meaning to all projectiles, you can also withstand the effect of bullets with the cloak. It's 5/magic 10/magic against projectiles, and based off d20 Modern, the typical firearm deals 2d6 damage, so that means a certain death-blow turns into a minor nuisance pretty much nothing...if they hit you, which is what Mage Armor provides. Basically, the cape lets you bounce off some bullets and withstand other blows, safely fall from great heights, move up to a certain distance with your mind, be able to survive close to a boiler or in a blizzard with little problems, and send a 25-word message to pretty much anybody... That's a lot of stuff. Now, being a cloak, it means you'll have to wear it proudly, and smart people might connect the dots.

Nothing's stopping you from wearing another, non-magical, cloak over it. You can't stack multiple magic items, but you can wear as many sets of regular items with one magic item per slot as you feel like.

The phylactery of change would be pretty nifty. 1/day polymorph has uses, though not as good as some other items.

Nightcanon
2016-05-17, 01:32 AM
Unfortunately, that means that the platform would be illegalized in short order. The medical industry doesn't want to cure people. You don't make money that way. They want to treat people. That's why they haven't cured anything in decades, and why doctors at hospitals have prescription quotas. If they don't meet their quotas, they lose their jobs.*

Have you considered the possibility that the reason we have treatments rather than cures for things is that human biology and disease are complex, and in real life we can't just make a skill check or expend XP to research a new spell or item of cure [named disease]/ treat [named disease]?
Particularly with regard to infectious diseases, there are plenty of things which were potentially life-threatening in the past that can be cured, or even made into non-problems by vaccination, fairly simply with modern medicine, and (apart from issues around antibiotic stewardship, aren't a big deal anymore). There are big industries around (for example) cardiovascular disease and cancer, but these evolve: the types of surgeries performed for example have become less invasive and less mutilating, and no one has held this up because they made more profit out of doing things the old way. Even the most Evil doctor or pharma exec is going to have people they care about affected by cancer or heart disease, and the idea they are suppressing cures as part of a vast conspiracy while they and all their loved ones run a 30% lifetime risk of cancer is as ludicrous as it is offensive.

paranoidbox
2016-05-17, 03:53 AM
I'm going to third (fourth? fifth?) the Ring of Sustenance, possibly combined with a Periapt of Health.

The only thing that I can imagine being a bit of a nuisance is that people might wonder why you're not eating. Eating is a social thing a lot of the time so even when you simply stop eating with your family, or you keep declining to go to restuarants with friends, or you don't drink at all at parties, or whatever, people will notice. But then, I guess you can eat even when wearing the ring? So you might have to do so occasionally, if only to reassure people you're not mortally ill.

Actually, a second thing that might be a shame about wearing the ring is that I, for one, would miss food. There are so many good foods out there and now I don't eat any more. My poor taste buds will never again taste the wonderful rainbow of aromatic cuisines and I would pity myself for it greatly.

And now that I think about it even further, needing 2 hours of sleep is fine and dandy and all, but what would I do with all that free time? I can only watch so much TV or play so many games and I would run out of things to watch or play in short order. Sure, I can devote more time to projects and learn how to paint or some stuff, but I know myself well enough to know that I won't be able to do that more than a couple of hours per week.

So I would like to change my vote and say no to the Ring of Sustenance although I would still like a Periapt of Health perhaps.

Actually, I did see someone mention Heward's Handy Haversack, but it's surprising to me no one has mentioned the Bag of Holding. I mean, even the largest type only costs 10K so that's well below the proposed 30K (so, maybe combine it with some other bag-like items, such as the Bag of Tricks or such). Personally, I would want my Bag of Holding to be invisible, not sure how much that would cost to have a permanently invisible bag, but that seems nifty to me. I would collect all kinds of things to put in my bag and I would have an item for every situation, if only because I can sleight of hand everything in an invisible bag.

Shalist
2016-05-17, 04:23 AM
-30K is enough for a +17 knowledge skill trinket. That alone would make someone the world's foremost expert in said field, to say nothing of giving it to someone who's already a leading expert. I'm leaning more towards knowledge: clean energy / technology than knowledge: medical, simply because limitless clean energy / better technology could conceivably solve so many problems (i.e. including nanobots that cure cancer, etc.)

-Re: healing floor. As they say, "if you want people to do the right thing, you just need to make the right thing profitable." Just find some insurance companies and their pet politicians to hide behind.

-Re: ring of sustenance / only sleeping 2 hours: (Doghouse Diaries webcomic (http://thedoghousediaries.com/5953))

---

And now for some cheese:

You may also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.

It's worth noting that a use-activated bestow curse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bestowCurse.htm) item cost exactly 30,000.

Note that, RAW, you aren't actually prohibited from creating overtly, blatantly benign curses, as "more useful" isn't the same thing as "more powerful."

And since positive modifiers are neither more or less 'powerful' than numerically equivalent negative modifiers, cursing someone with a permanent +6 intelligence is just as RAW legal as cursing them with a permanent -6 intelligence. If you poke through the spoiler, you'll see many powerful options just waiting to be similarly inverted (i.e. "-8 to a skill check" => +8 ), with the only limitation being your tolerance for certain dairy products. I'd prioritize supercharging legions of researchers, doctors, engineers, and such with increased mental stats and relevant skill bonuses.

Alternate Uses of Bestow Curse
Players Handbook

–6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1).

–4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.

Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.

Book of Vile Darkness

Target is rendered sterile.

The next person introduced to the target for the first time will hate him or her uncontrollably forever. Even if this curse is removed, the person still hates the victim of the curse, but the victim can improve the person’s attitude normally after the curse is gone.

Each time the target attempts to help a friend or ally, there is a 50% chance the attempt fails and causes the ally to fail at the task.

Target is struck blind and deaf.

Each round in combat, there is a 25% chance that the target will attack the nearest creature rather than choosing an opponent normally.

Every time the victim makes a d20 roll, a roll of 20 counts as a 1.

The victim effectively ages, moving him or her to the beginning of the next age category. See Chapter 6 of the Player’s Handbook for the effects of aging.

At some point within the next week (or whenever it is feasible), thieves are able to steal all monetary wealth the victim has.

Animals refuse to be within 5 feet of the target and do not respond to the target’s commands or requests.

Each time the target meets someone for the first time, there is a 50% chance that the new person will confuse the target with a hated enemy, a well-known criminal, or a raving lunatic.

All creatures of a specific kind (such as orcs, owlbears, or black dragons) are permanently invisible to the sight of the victim (invisibility purge does not help, but see invisibility and true seeing do). The spellcaster chooses the kind of creature.

Dragon Magazine #348

Target takes -8 penalty on all checks made using one skill, such as Climb or Spellcraft.

The target's Str score counts as 10 less (minimum 1) for the purposes of carrrying capacity. This might cause some individuals to suddenly take encumbrance penalties while others collapse under the weight of their own gear.

The target's armor falls into disrepair, halving its hit points and hardness while decreasing the armor bonus it grants by -4 (minimum of 1) and doubling the armor check penalty. This effect shifts to any new armor donned, while the armor removed returns to normal (although any damage it might have taken remains)

The target must carry something designated by the caster or suffer a -5 penalty on all saves. The item can be vague (such as a holy symbol of Vecna) or specific (such as the Helm of King Aramil), but it cannot be something dangerous or deadly for the target to carry (a massive boulder or burning coals). The caster must give the object when casting the spell.

One of the target's limbs ceases to function. A nonfunctional arm cannot hold or wield any item and cannot be used to perform somatic spell components, while a nonfunctional leg prevents the target from walking properly without a crutch (and even then the target can only move at half speed). A nonfunctional wing prevents the target from flying if it uses wings to fly.

The target loses all weapon and armor proficiencies, other than simple weapons, natural weapons, and unarmored strikes. If the target has feats for which the lost proficiencies are prerequisites (such as Weapon Focus), he loses the use of these as well.

The target becomes completely socially inept. He takes -6 penalties on Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, and Sense Motive Checks, on Cha checks to influence someone, and on Disguise checks when attempting to act as someone else.

The target's armor, shield, or one of his weapons (caster's choice) becomes cursed. Its enhancement bonus is reversed and it loses any other special abilities, so a +4 flaming longsword becomes a -4 longsword. If nonmagical, the weapon, shield, or armor instead becomes a -1 weapon, shield or armor.

The target is stricken with cowardice. Each time the character rolls for initiative, he must immediately make a will save (with the same DC as the curse) or become shaken for the duration of the combat. The first time the character takes damage in the combat, he must save again or become shaken for 1d4 rounds (if already shaken, instead treat as panicked for 1d4 rounds)

The target appears to be a different alignment (caster's choice) for the purpose of divination spells and spell-like abilities such as detect evil.

The target's damage reduction, spell resistance, or elemental resistance of one type is reduced by 5, to a minimum of 0.

The target immediately becomes fatigued until he has consumed 1 pint of blood. THereafter, he gains a thirst for blood and normal food and drink no longer nourish him. He awakens fatigued each morning and must drink 1 pint of blood to stave off this fatigue for the day.

Everyone who knows the target no longer recognizes him, except for the caster. Even the target's allies do not recognize him and those who come to know him again forget knowing him each morning.

The target gains a susceptibility to damage from a certain source (caster's choice). All damage taken from this source is increased by 5 points. The source must be either a specific element, such as fire, or weapons made of a specified uncommon material such as mithral, silver, or bone.

The target loses the ability to heal naturally (although he does not lose innate healing abilities such as fast healing or regeneration). In addition, spells of the conjuration (healing) subschool only heal the target for half as much as normal. Such spells that cause damage are unaffected by this curse. For example, a cure light wounds spell cast upon a undead creature is unaffected, while an inflict light wounds spell cast on the same creature would be halved.

The target's sight is reduced to 20ft, even with natural abilities and spells such as darkvision.

The target must roll a Fort save (DC as curse) each time he commits an evil or illegal act to avoid becoming nauseated for 2d4 rounds. Alternatively, the caster may use this curse to affect those commiting acts of kindness and generosity.

The target loses the use of one of his feats. If this feat is a prerequisite for other feats, the target loses the use of those feats as well.

One of the target's minor racial abilities is disabled. Minor abilities include darkvision, low-light vision, racial save bonuses, racial skill bonuses, racial weapon proficiency or familiarity, or stability. The Dm has the final word as to what other racial abilities qualify as minor.

The target immediately becomes fatigued, and henceforth requires 12 hours of sleep each time he rests or else is fatigued for the remainder of the day.

The target becomes a disease carrier. Anyone the target touches or who touches the target must roll a DC 16 Fort save or else contract blinding sickness or cackle fever. The target is immune to the selected disease.

The target has uncontrollable shakes, imposing a -4 penalty on ranged attacks and 20% spell failure chance for spells with somatic components.

The target becomes unable to tell a lie. He may, however, choose to avoid answering a question in order to avoid telling the truth.

The target fear killing and must attempt to deal nonlethal damage whenever possible, taking a penalty of -4 on attack rolls with most weapons to do so.

On a side note, since bestow curse is a touch spell:

Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later.Meaning you can, within reason, use the item whenever or wherever you want, and deliver it later on with a handshake or something.

Skysaber
2016-05-17, 05:07 AM
Mirror of Mental Prowess, limited uses per day and/or restricted to people of my alignment/race/religion, falls well below the required limit.

And I could go anywhere.

Gold? I could Scry the treasure cove from the Pirates of the Caribbean movie and suck that cave dry (minus the cursed coins, of course), while knowing the pirates were too far away to do anything about it.

Youth? I know of several sources.

But the biggest thing? I know of wizard schools that would accept me. All I'd need was the aforementioned gold (and being reasonably young wouldn't hurt).

Vacation in Star Trek. Grab a few droids from Star Wars... The combination of both scrying and transportation is effectively limitless.

shaikujin
2016-05-17, 06:05 AM
Martial item that grants Iron Heart Surge...

Enveloping pit, belt of hidden pouches.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-17, 09:52 AM
If it weren't because of the 30k limitation, I'd give another vote to the Psychoactive Skin of Proteus, because of the myriad of benefits it provides, even if limited to real life creatures. Turning into a bear can solve a lot of fights. You'd rarely be late for anything (hey, you can turn into a peregrine falcon! How does being the fastest flying creature on the planet sound?) Turning into an elephant or rhinoceros could help in stuff like construction (use the elephant's trunk to move supplies around, or the rhinoceros' big head and bulk as an improvised bulldozer). Since you can pretty much transform into yourself, it's also hidden in plain sight, and since it doesn't occupy a slot, you can wear it at all times, not to mention being pretty much impossible to steal. With fantastical creatures allowed, the possibilities are endless...the possibility of perversion is also endless, but that really depends on how responsible you are.

However...it's nearly three times over the established limit, so it's a no-go. Maybe Mask of Lies or Hat of Disguise? That could be fun, even if it's not as practical.
You can get the price down pretty easily. The skin costs 84.000 gp*. You can, within the DMG rules, reduce this by 70%, by making it work for humans only, and then make it occupy the body slot (what else are you going to use it for?), removing the x2 slotless multiplier. That's 29.400 gp, just within the budget.

Now, get it crafted by a 6th-level psionic artificer, who has the Exceptional Artisan and Legendary Artisan feats, and Magical Artisan applied to both (and to Craft Universal Item). That requires a flaw, but that's okay.

Now, you have a 25% reduction in GP cost and XP cost, plus three 25% reductions to both. That works out to just under 32% of the cost, putting the human-only skin at under 10.000 gp. You can reduce the cost further, but at some point, it's probably better to increase the manifester level instead.

*I had the calculation here: use-activated ML 7 metamorphosis, a 4th-level power, for a total price of 4level * 7ML * 2000use-activated * 2duration * 2slotless =? 84.000, but it seems it's not correct. The custom pricing guidelines put it at 224.000 gp. Weird. It seems there is a x3 factor in there, somewhere. Possibly, there is a modifier for only affecting medium or smaller creatures.

ace rooster
2016-05-17, 12:08 PM
Ok, I missed the limit. I would still go for a headband of intellect though it could only be +4 (+5 if I was being cheeky). There are very few situations which cannot be made easier by being smarter, so it is so broadly useful as to be no contest.

I'm not getting the love for the ring of sustenance, because it doesn't extend what you can do at all. It lets you do 30% more of what you can do, but that is not all that impressive for a literal magic item. My ambition extends beyond being a broke hobo, so I don't see food and drink being a significant problem either. I would take a ring of animal friendship before sustenance, because at least that lets me do something I ordinarily could not (I'm good with animals, but I'm not going to try to make friends with a shark). Probably take a ring of jumping over it too, because I could make some pennies off that. Horseshoes of speed would make fixing races a breeze. A ring of water walking would be funny just for the troll factor.

Silva Stormrage
2016-05-17, 12:56 PM
You can get the price down pretty easily. The skin costs 84.000 gp*. You can, within the DMG rules, reduce this by 70%, by making it work for humans only, and then make it occupy the body slot (what else are you going to use it for?), removing the x2 slotless multiplier. That's 29.400 gp, just within the budget.

Now, get it crafted by a 6th-level psionic artificer, who has the Exceptional Artisan and Legendary Artisan feats, and Magical Artisan applied to both (and to Craft Universal Item). That requires a flaw, but that's okay.

Now, you have a 25% reduction in GP cost and XP cost, plus three 25% reductions to both. That works out to just under 32% of the cost, putting the human-only skin at under 10.000 gp. You can reduce the cost further, but at some point, it's probably better to increase the manifester level instead.

*I had the calculation here: use-activated ML 7 metamorphosis, a 4th-level power, for a total price of 4level * 7ML * 2000use-activated * 2duration * 2slotless =? 84.000, but it seems it's not correct. The custom pricing guidelines put it at 224.000 gp. Weird. It seems there is a x3 factor in there, somewhere. Possibly, there is a modifier for only affecting medium or smaller creatures.

Ya but if you start using that and or custom magic items you essentially get into the "Hey how quickly can we get infinite wishes". Which kinda defeats the whole point.

Also as it is market price not crafting price having it crafted by an artificer is kinda cheating and not relevant.

Gildedragon
2016-05-17, 01:51 PM
Ya but if you start using that and or custom magic items you essentially get into the "Hey how quickly can we get infinite wishes". Which kinda defeats the whole point.

Also as it is market price not crafting price having it crafted by an artificer is kinda cheating and not relevant.
Wishes still can't be given by the item; I figure that having the item summon a wish-granter or transforming one into one counts as granting wishes (even if indirectly) and hence doesn't work. ...Miracle on the other hand :P
But let's change the cost parameter. Making it can't cost the crafter more than 15,000gp-equivalent (so no gold > xp > ambrosia / liquid pain)

Barstro
2016-05-17, 03:30 PM

Pretty sure that already exists in the form of a white powder. Besides, I'm sure most of us here could easily add six hours to the day by just not slacking off so much.

I don't know the material well enough to cement a decision, but I'm leaning towards something involving precognition.

T.G. Oskar
2016-05-17, 03:49 PM

Completely agree. Subverting the price limit defeats the point of having a price limit in the first place; custom magic items further defeat the point, and "how quickly we can get infinite Wishes" is just an exaggeration to set the point. The restriction exists for purposes of being creative with the answer; the War Wizard's Cloak is most likely the most creative of them all, as it offers a bunch of stuff and a story behind it. The War Wizard's Cloak alone would make a superhero out of its wearer. The Ring of Sustenance would be pretty interesting to maximize effectiveness, as you'd be able to work with little worry regarding sleep, and still have ample time to do stuff (something that, despite the effects on health, is done nowadays - energy drinks, anyone?), and it fits the price bill. However, latching stuff into it beats the purpose, since it requires either having the exact same thing you asked. Same with crafting.

Lemme use the following example to illustrate my point (following Silva's second phrase):

Wishes still can't be given by the item; I figure that having the item summon a wish-granter or transforming one into one counts as granting wishes (even if indirectly) and hence doesn't work. ...Miracle on the other hand :P
But let's change the cost parameter. Making it can't cost the crafter more than 15,000gp-equivalent (so no gold > xp > ambrosia / liquid pain)

The exercise involves having the magic item appear in your hand. That's the only concession it gives. A custom magic item could function, but it enters a gray area - you can adjudicate the cost, of course, but at what extent? The price limitation is, of course, the cause of that gray area, since it begs the question "why am I limited to a specific price range rather than have the item I want as the exercise claims?", but the answer hints at an intention of the experiment - the magic item shouldn't be overpowered on purpose. That is why the Psychoactive Skin of Proteus and the Ring of Three Wishes are mostly banned, and the price range adds to it; the first doesn't meet the price range (and creative uses of the item can make it overpowered), and the other...well, a Wish is already powerful, and creative uses of that Wish make it infinitely overpowered.

Crafting takes that gray area and invalidates it, because it doesn't only defeats the purpose of the price range and the implicit limitation, but also places the exercise on everyone's advantage and introduces an even worse precedent. See - by having the item be custom-crafted, it involves that you're in contact with said kind of crafter, which is willing to give you a custom magic item that fits all you desire and ignores the price range, for free. That means such a crafter exists - why isn't the world filled with magic items already!? If the magic item crafter exists, why not have it so that such items are sold at retail stores? To make it even more explicit - why they don't sell energy drinks with the same effect as the Ring of Sustenance but limited to once per day (as if a potion) on Wal-Mart, or Target? Thus, the idea is that you shouldn't rely on custom crafting, as that "gift" is basically that - a gift of providence, and you're basically writing what you want on the wish list given those restrictions, except that you're actually getting what you're wishing for.

I mean - if that restriction is available, I'd immediately get the War Wizard's Cloak. I'd use the cloak itself to contact the manufacturer and try to send, in 25 words or less, to make up business here, on this world. See how it crosses that gray area - it involves bypassing the deliberate restrictions just to get more of what you want. Anything that alters crafting, like using a Psionic Artificer to make a custom Psychoactive Skin of the Proteus that is race-restricted (or rather, ethnically-restricted), alignment-restricted and made cheaper so that the end price happens to bypass that price range, likewise crosses that gray area of "getting what you want, but with restrictions". At this point, the exercise shouldn't have a price range, as you're not respecting it at all. That is why I suggested the Mask of Lies or the Hat of Disguise, which don't have the same properties but at least are pre-made and fit the price range. Despite being 3rd Edition (once again, gray area), the Phylactery of Change is a good alternative (and even then, I'd emphasize over the "gray area" bit). Working with custom magic items made so that they fit an arbitrary price range while smooching as many things at once? Completely defeats the point - at that moment, it's like working just to get infinite wishes for cheap, even if the exercise itself later on explicitly forbid it, just because you keep looking for loopholes that allow you to do so. I mean - making beneficial curses without actual penalties?

Now, for something curious - a Ring of Blinking, which offers a bunch of benefits (near-permanent invisibility, etherealness, partial ability to phase through walls) is under the 30k mark. Ring of Chameleon Power, which blends a Hat of Disguise with a bonus to Hide? Well under half of the 30k mark. Actual Ring of Invisibility? Two-thirds of the mark. Decanter of Endless Water, while on a drought, or used by firefighters? Still below the mark, and has quite a bunch of uses (and is not a ring!) Hand of the Mage? Cheapest one so far (900 gp!), and you can get pretty creative with the use of Mage Hand at-will. Lyre of Building? Still under the price, and incredibly effective (not to mention something national security would invest on). All of them on the SRD, BTW. Those would be pretty interesting items in the right hands (particularly the Decanter and the Lyre).

Necromancy
2016-05-17, 04:46 PM
Let's see some more interesting choices!
Magic items would make me into a lawbreaker

Under 30k
Portable hole
Flying carpets
Chime of opening
Hat of disguise
Figurines of wonderous power

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-17, 04:53 PM
An astral ccaravan tattoo could be fun. Just gotta get lucky on the checks.

Ruethgar
2016-05-17, 05:27 PM
Hmmm, Cursed Ring of Cantrips, to grant myself the SoP Cantrips feat assuming I could use most 3.5 versions that didn't get a PF update. The curse is just to keep it on me, but that would be a nice little thing to have.

If I really wanted to be serious about it but not wish cheese, a Living Wood Intelligent Staff Device with built in Bio Charger. Would get a slew of spells Magic Jar and Changestaff are the big ones. Nature's Rampart, Wall of Stone, Plant Growth, Horn of the Wakened Forest, Animate Wood, Animate Rope, Create Element... a lot more to pretty much make me a terraforming beast. AoE Ironwooding a rainforest logging operation sounds like it would be fun.

Troacctid
2016-05-18, 04:41 AM
So, going by the item levels in MIC, I'm just going to try and pick the best item at each level. And to make things simpler, I'll only pull from MIC and core.

For any item, I'd consider including one of the following curses from the standard curse list, all of which add additional, useful functionality to the item:

Temperature around item is 10°F cooler than normal.
Temperature around item is 10°F warmer than normal.
Character's gender changes.
Character’s alignment changes (one step towards Good).

Here are my picks through 7th level:

1/2: Blessed Bandage is the only real option. It's actually pretty fantastic, if you think about it. Sure, one use only, but stabilizing a dying person regardless of their condition is literally a life-saver.
1st: Unguent of Timelessness is the easy pick. I'm not sure what to use it on, but it's more useful than anything else in this range.
2nd: Gotta go with Everlasting Rations.
3rd: Healing Belt has to be the winner. Talisman of the Disk, Least Crystal of Adaptation, and Amber Amulet of Vermin are cool, but healing seems like a much better thing to have.
4th: Hand of the Mage probably takes this category. At-will telekinesis is pretty nifty.
5th: Nominees for 5th level items include Hat of Disguise, Ehlonna's Seed Pouch, Fochlucan Bandore, Pipes of Sounding, Medallion of Thought Projection, and Sphere of Awakening. And the envelope goes to...Hat of Disguise, for providing unlimited wardrobe options, altering your appearance as you desire, and generally being loads of fun to play around with!
6th: Nominees for 6th level items include Handy Haversack, Ring of Feather Falling, and Ring of Floating. And the envelope goes to...Handy Haversack! The first real extradimensional storage, and it's the only backpack you'll ever need. It seems safe to say it lives up to its name.
7th: Nominees for 7th level items include Cord of Favor, Crystal Mask of Languages, Gloves of Object Reading, Ring of Sustenance, and Bag of Holding Type I. And the envelope goes to...Ring of Sustenance! I think a pretty good case has already been made for it. It seems like it would be fantastic IRL.