PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Need help for a class mod

Feuerphoenix
2016-05-16, 07:46 AM
Hey guys,

recently I found this oath of the eternal flame (https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oath_of_the_Eternal_Flame_(5e_Archetype)).

I do really enjoy the flavor of it, but I was thinking about changing the lv 7 ability, as a paladin has to have some kind of aura for him and his allies, in my opinion.

I was thinking about two kinds of auras:

1. you gain resistance to fire, while enemies lose the same,
or
2. you and all friendly allies gain the effects of "protection from evil and good" spell.

How do you think about it? I have no real clue about the strength of this oath, nor about it's original ability, so maybe you guys can help me there. :)

Final Hyena
2016-05-16, 08:09 AM
The fiery weapon scales fairly strongly, from +3.5 damage to +10.5. If you look at Devotions sacred weapon it scales from roughly +2 to +5 attack bonus and that requires you to bump charisma which is rarely a first priority.
Changing it to grant bonus fire damage equal to charisma mod is the easiest option.

My suggestions for your level 7 alterations;
Aura of Fire
You and friendly creatures within 10 ft gain resistance to fire damage.
At 18th level enemies within the aura with fire resistance are treated as if they do not.

Aura of Warm/Light
You and friendly creatures within 5 ft gain the affects of protection from Evil.
At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 10 ft.

I prefer using Aura of Fire as it conflicts less with the other features of Eternal Flame

Feuerphoenix
2016-05-16, 08:30 AM
mmh yea I did not even think about changing the Channel Divinities, maybe worth a thought.

I also prefer the aura of fire, but the aura of light has somewhat more flavor. A phoenix protecting his allies. But do you really think, that it has to be reduced to 5 ft? 10ft, 15ft at 18 sounds more reasonable to me.

Final Hyena
2016-05-16, 08:38 AM
I was deliberately going against similar abilities that triple the range because that affect is so strong. The other reason I dislike it is that it overlaps with the level 20 feature.

Feuerphoenix
2016-05-16, 08:46 AM
Ok, then let's exclude any "range extender" for this aura. (sth like, this range may not be extended by other means)

The Lv 20 Capstone replaces the "being under protection from evil and good-spell" to "immune to fire damage".

Final Hyena
2016-05-16, 09:13 AM
Sounds fine.

Feuerphoenix
2016-05-16, 05:28 PM
do you think this oath is overall balanced?