PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Rolling Fire (Rules Check)

Crasical
2016-05-16, 07:54 AM
A hypothetical scenario:

A pair of Ratfolk Musket Masters are using their Swarming racial ability to occupy a single square. They both possess the Artillery Team feat, and each is carrying a Large musket.

Because the musket is a Large 2handed weapon, the Ratfolk can carry the weapon but not normally wield it. However, because of the Artillery Team feat, they count as Large for the purposes of using the weapon, as long as one of them is able to 'support the barrel of the weapon', which presumably can be done by resting it across one rat's shoulder or back.

Ordinarily, firing the weapon this way requires the wielder to be able to trace a line 'From your space to the target's space in such a way that the line passes through the ally's space', but as the ratfolk are sharing a single space, this will always happen.

While they are in firing configuration, neither Ratfolk can reload their own weapon. However, Reloading a 2-handed firearm only takes one hand, and a ratfolk can hold their own rifle one-handed while loading their allies rifle.

So, entering combat, Ratfolk A has their rifle pre-loaded. Ratfolk B does not. When initiative is rolled, the two delay if necessary until Ratfolk A acts first, with Ratfolk B immediately after.

Ratfolk A uses their move action to load Ratfolk B's musket, then fires their own musket. Immediately afterward, Ratfolk B uses their move action to reload Ratfolk A's musket, and to fire their own musket.

Because moving about within a five foot square does not cost an action, and no action is ever specified as required to be supporting the barrel of a weapon, the Ratfolk can quickly reposition who is loader and who is gunner.

Is this all correct? Is there any reason why it would not work?

Psyren
2016-05-16, 08:11 AM
The one potential pitfall I see is the "passes through the ally's space" line. Your GM would have to rule that a line originating in a space passes through that space. Strictly speaking, if this were true, a wizard would fry himself every time he fired a lightning bolt. But I could see a favorable ruling here simply because the visual is immensely fun.

Crasical
2016-05-16, 08:19 AM
The one potential pitfall I see is the "passes through the ally's space" line. Your GM would have to rule that a line originating in a space passes through that space. Strictly speaking, if this were true, a wizard would fry himself every time he fired a lightning bolt. But I could see a favorable ruling here simply because the visual is immensely fun.

The Pathfinder wiki describes it as

A line of effect starts from any corner of your square and extends to the limit of its range or until it strikes a barrier that would block it. A line-shaped spell affects all creatures in squares through which the line passes.

So a wizard casting lightning bolt is choosing to draw his Line of Effect from the corner of his square nearest the target, so that it does not pass through his own square.

EDIT: Incidentally, I absolutely agree with you. Small creatures wielding oversized weapons, firearms in particular, is always a fun concept.

https://www.pixeldynamo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/trist.jpg

Geddy2112
2016-05-16, 09:21 AM
This works, and I am totally stealing this idea and using it in a campaign because, dang, this is cool.

The one potential pitfall I see is the "passes through the ally's space" line. Your GM would have to rule that a line originating in a space passes through that space. Strictly speaking, if this were true, a wizard would fry himself every time he fired a lightning bolt.The artillery team feat also specifies that the ally never provides soft cover either.

But I could see a favorable ruling here simply because the visual is immensely fun.
It really is. Thank you for figuring out this awesome combination.

Psyren
2016-05-16, 09:43 AM
The Pathfinder wiki describes it as

So a wizard casting lightning bolt is choosing to draw his Line of Effect from the corner of his square nearest the target, so that it does not pass through his own square.

Fair enough, you could start it from a rear corner for this purpose but as a front corner for harmful lines. In that case, nothing else I've seen in my admittedly brief skim seems to prevent this. (Aside from the obvious downside of needing 2 PCs of course.)

It really is. Thank you for figuring out this awesome combination.

OP gets the credit, not me.

Crasical
2016-05-16, 01:57 PM
Aside from the obvious downside of needing 2 PCs of course.

Yeah. If you can't cajole another player into playing Cannon Buddies with you, you have to wait until level 3 to pick up the Squire feat to get your fellow gunner and actually get the combo online. Though that also requires the squire to be using paper cartridges until they get Fast Musket.