PDA

View Full Version : How important is movement speed for a ranged character?

Spacehamster
2016-05-16, 11:08 AM
So posted about a 15 champion, 3 hunter ranger, 1 rogue and 1 knowledge cleric archer. Never played a ranged PC before so were wondering how important the movement speed of such a char would be(at 35 ft cause wood elf) and if mobile is worth it to make it 45?

He is 6 champion with alert and sharpshooter, got +10 initiative so will probably get to go first often to be able to position himself favorably at the start of combat which might make it slightly less useful with mobile?

Lombra
2016-05-16, 11:14 AM
I suppose that an archer works like a caster in terms of positioning: let the front liners handle the problem while you and the sorcerer blast from behind the line.
Movement is important for getting in and out the center of the fight, but outrunning an enemy while shooting back at him is definately a cool (yet situational) option.

MaxWilson
2016-05-16, 11:30 AM
Depends on how your DM operates and how often you try to handle things solo.

No one on the Internet can predict this for you. The best advice will come from your DM and/or your own observations of your DM's style.

Gtdead
2016-05-16, 11:38 AM
It depends on the battlefield, class and playstyle.

If the battlefield is littered with cover and places to hide, an archer or a caster will probably love the extra movement. If your DM doesn't really bother with the enviroment then there isn't much use for extra movement.
A rogue or a ranger will also want to hide behind cover using their bonus action, for advantage. A fighter will probably not care too much since he doesn't have access to this.
A caster will need the extra movement if he likes aoe spells and debuffs. If he likes a more defensive playstyle, like buffing and using terrain maniplation spells (walls, difficult terrain etc), he will probably not care too much about it.

Skylivedk
2016-05-16, 11:40 AM
My last character, a hunter/assassin, had value from days in the extra movement. With BA dash he could kite most enemies. In a desert setting, with few dunes, that equals a lot of damage dealt and HP saved

smcmike
2016-05-16, 11:45 AM
Very campaign dependent. My guess is that it's easy to overrate through theorycrafting. If you have a good party with strong front liners, most fights you'll mostly stand and shoot - kiting tactics don't work well with most teams. They also don't work well in most indoor environments.

The best way to get tactical movement is a second rogue level.

Spacehamster
2016-05-16, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the tips, will prob spend that ASI on crossbow master for avoiding disadvantage if I get enemies up close.

MaxWilson
2016-05-16, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the tips, will prob spend that ASI on crossbow master for avoiding disadvantage if I get enemies up close.

Bonus tip: Crossbow Expert lets you use a Net in melee without disadvantage, thus giving you some (more) control capability over non-Huge monsters.