PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help me create a Hearth Domain!

zeek0
2016-05-16, 11:28 AM
Hello!

Most pantheons include a hearth deity. Hestia, Bes, Mishakal, Boldrei, Yondalla, Hathor, and others. I know why a hearth domain is hard to create and hasn't been done in the past - but I want to do it anyhow. I have been stuck on two of the features for weeks now - so I'd like to crowdsource the Playground to assist!

I expect any civilization to have priests to a hearth deity. But because of their nature, I expect to see few hearth clerics - clerics weapons, the military branch of a deity's workings in the world. So when homebrewing this, I think: what boons would a deity of protection, civilization, family, and warmth provide their weapon in the world?

In a home the hearth is the center of the household. It holds the fire which is used for heat, food, and light. It is symbolic of the ability to hold the wilds and darkness at bay and the family within. The gods of hearth are concerned with protection of family and the sanctity of home. Gods of hearth - such as Hestia, Bes, Mishakal, Boldrei, Yondalla, and Hathor – are seldom well-known in their pantheons. But while there are few stories about them, there is a small shrine in most every household. Clerics are rarely called upon by gods of hearth, but when they are there is usually something greater at stake than soldiers, heroes, and kings.

Level Spells
1st Protection from Evil and Good, Sanctuary
3rd Augury, Continual Flame
5th Glyph of Warding, Leomund’s Tiny Hut
7th Death Ward, Divination
9th Dispel Evil and Good, Hallow

Bonus Cantrip
When you choose this domain at 1st level, you the produce flame cantrip if you don't already know it.

Protective Ward
At 1st level, boons you give to allies momentarily provide additional protection. When you cast a spell that targets a creature, you may choose one creature affected by the spell. That creature gains resistance to a damage type of your choice until the beginning of your next turn.

Channel Divinity: Hearthflame
At 2nd level you can use your Channel Divinity to summon a shred of hearthfire to protect you and allies.
As an action, you present your holy symbol and and conjure a warm hearthflame that follows you and lasts for up to one hour. While the hearthflame is active it sheds bright light in a 20 foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. You may freely move the hearthflame to any spot within 10 feet of you. The hearthflame’s power may be expended to grant a bane or boon:
Bane. You can use a reaction in response the an ally being damaged by a creature within 60 feet of you that you can see. If you do, the hearthflame's power is expended and the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC. The creature takes 2d10 + your cleric level fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
Boon. You can use a reaction in response to a creature failing a saving throw within 60 feet. The hearthflame is expended and you may attempt the saving throw for the creature, treating the save as a Wisdom saving throw. If you choose, you replace the creature's saving throw result with your own.

Channel Divinity: Divine Shield
Starting at 6th level, you may use your Channel Divinity to protect yourself and others from harm. As a bonus action, you present your holy symbol and conjure a faintly glowing shield of force within 30 feet. The shield is a flat surface that is 5-feet-by-5-feet appears in any orientation you choose, as a horizontal or vertical barrier or at an angle. The shield lasts for a number of rounds equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of 1).
Nothing can physically pass through the shield, and provides cover to nearby creatures. It is immune to all damage. The shield also extends into the Ethereal Plane, blocking ethereal travel through the shield.

Potent Spellcasting
At 8th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

Hearthfire
At 17th level you can call upon the power of your deity to transform a campfire or similarly sized fire into a hearthfire. The hearthfire is magical fire that cannot be extinguished and does not deal damage to objects. The hearthfire endures for 10 hours. Up to five creatures of your choice that complete a long rest within 30 feet of the fire are blessed and gain one of the following benefits of their choice, which last for 24 hours:
Emboldened. For the duration you are immune to being frightened, and when you hit with a weapon attack for the first time on your turn you deal an additional 1d8 fire damage.
Enlightened. For the duration, you are immune to charm effects. In addition, you gain three hearthfire lights. Whenever you make an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma ability check or saving throw you can spend one hearthfire light to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend the hearthfire light after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the ability check or saving throw.
Restored. You are restored, and all debilitating effects are removed. Your exhaustion level is reduced by one. All status conditions, poisons, and diseases are removed from you. Any reduction to your ability scores or hit points is removed. Any curses are lifted, including your attunement to a cursed magic item. This ends any effects that would be ended by greater restoration or heal.
Shrouded. You are obscured from the minds of other creatures. You are not invisible, but until you attack them, cast a spell on them, deal damage to them, or otherwise directly interact with them you cannot be perceived by them. Creatures can perceive you through alternate means (such as Arcane Eye), Truesight, or if they are immune to the charmed condition.
While creatures are unaware of you, you have advantage on attack rolls against them and they have disadvantage on attack rolls against you.
Warded. You gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your level + your Wisdom modifier for the duration. When this ward is damaged by a creature, that creature takes an amount of fire damage equal to the damage they dealt to the ward.

I am uncertain about the decisions that I have made so far - let me know if you have a better option, or an adjustment to make!
An updated version of this homebrew lies in my signature (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20886261&postcount=285). Let me know if you have any questions!

Final Hyena
2016-05-16, 11:59 AM
I wasn't entirely certain on divine shield.

The shield is stationary and lasts until the beginning of your next turn.
Is the creature shielded immune to further attacks, or just attacks from the same line of sight?

JNAProductions
2016-05-16, 12:58 PM
Why potent spellcasting? This is protective, is it not?

This be Richard
2016-05-16, 01:26 PM
You might consider Produce Flame as one of your bonus cantrips.

I think Protective Ward might be more powerful than it should be. Resistance to a damage type chosen by the player -- even for one round -- could be a huge deal if there's reason to expect a lot of a particular damage type... which there often is.
I would say a more reasonable approach might be to have the cleric use their reaction to create the resistance against a single attack... or, perhaps better, just have it impose disadvantage on an attack or provide a boost to a saving throw.
The ideal solution would probably be to do what the Abjuration Wizard already does: create a modest pool of "hit points" that can buffer against damage, applying only to the cleric at level 1, but expanding to protect allied creatures at level 6. I'm not sure how to do that without straight-up stealing the Abjuration wizard's feature, though. That said, it honestly might be worth stealing.

Divine Shield is broken. Completely negating a single attack is huge. Having it last until the beginning of your next turn is terrifying.

Let me think about this one. I really do like the idea of a hearth domain.

Phawksin
2016-05-16, 11:49 PM
This is a great idea. In my homebrew setting one of the primary deities is a god of hearth and home, so I'm totally stealing what you come up with when its done. I think a feature revolving around the comfort of a hearthfire would be cool, something like granting temporary hp or the 5e equivalent of a morale bonus. Also, a "healing flame" idea that might remove/reduce conditions or exhaustion. I'm going to think on it some more and get back tomorrow.

zeek0
2016-05-17, 11:30 AM
I'm glad that there's so much interest!

Why potent spellcasting? This is protective, is it not?
Good question! But my thought is that a cleric, being a weapon, needs to do damage. The Hearth cleric is imbued with protective powers, but like a parent protecting their child will bring strength to bear when required.

Divine Shield is broken. Completely negating a single attack is huge. Having it last until the beginning of your next turn is terrifying.
I must agree. I was imagining a temporary tower shield, something that could be conjured to shield allies from dragon fire, a hail of arrows, or protect an innocent. I don't know how this can be mechanically translated or if it has a place as a Channel Divinity feature.

I think Protective Ward might be more powerful than it should be. Resistance to a damage type chosen by the player -- even for one round -- could be a huge deal if there's reason to expect a lot of a particular damage type... which there often is.
I would say a more reasonable approach might be to have the cleric use their reaction to create the resistance against a single attack... or, perhaps better, just have it impose disadvantage on an attack or provide a boost to a saving throw.

I think that my version is comparable to using a reaction to provide resistance to a single damage source. As it stands, Protective Ward requires a spell to be used, and (depending on the situation) there is no guarantee that a specific damage type will be encountered.

I looked at the Abjuration Wizard for a bit when I was brainstorming, but I feel that the Hearth domain is more thematically about reactive protection than proactive protection. And any features should be able to be used on allies at the first.

I'm willing to be convinced on any of this; I hold uncertainty to be a virtue! Thanks for your comments - I'll keep thinking on this. I'd especially appreciate getting those empty features filled...

Phawksin
2016-05-17, 12:20 PM
Alright, spaghetti on the wall: lets see what sticks

Channel Divinity: Hearthfire: at 6th level you can use your action to conjure a soft, warm flame that follows you and lasts for up to an hour. While the flame is active it sheds bright light in a 20 foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. You can use a bonus action to expend the hearthfire's power on you or an ally within 30 feet of you, when you do the character can use their reaction to make a saving throw against one magical effect that is affecting them. If you conjure the hearthfire at the start of a short rest any ally that would heal hit point damage from spending hit dice at the end of the rest can make a saving throw against an effect. Additionally, characters that that take a short rest under the effects of the hearthfire lose one level of exhaustion.

Instant Hearth: At 17th level you can call on the power of your deity to summon a comfortable temporary home for you and your allies. By using your Divine Intervention feature you automatically succeed in conjuring the home that functions like Leomund's Tiny Hut, save that any creature that rests inside can complete a long rest in half the time, loses all levels of exhaustion and has advantage on any saving throws they make to overcome effects.

zeek0
2016-05-17, 01:41 PM
(!) Thanks for writing down some ideas!

In general:
RAW there are very few ways to remove exhaustion - it should be hard to remove. I imagine Path of the Berserker Frenzy shenanigans. I think that spells don't touch it until 5th level.

Channel Divinity: Hearthfire

I really like the idea of a light following you around that you can use to imbue an ally with! This fits into the ideas of illumination and assistance.

However, I think that the imbuing effect is too circumstantial. What if you aren't fighting spellcasters? What if they only cast fireballs?

Here's my spitballing, let me know how it looks:
Hearthfire: At 6th level you can use your action to conjure a soft, warm flame that follows you and lasts for up to one hour. While the flame is active it sheds bright light in a 20 foot radius and dim light for an additional 20 feet. In addition, the light may grant a boon or bane:

Bane: You can use a reaction in response the an ally being damaged by a creature within 60 feet of you that you can see. If you do, the hearthfire's power is expended on the creature and the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC. It takes 2d10 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Boon: You can use a reaction in response to a creature failing a saving throw within 60 feet. The hearthfire is expended and you may attempt the saving throw for the creature, treating the save as a Wisdom saving throw. If you choose, you replace the creature's saving throw result with your own.

*note*: its basically a hellish rebuke you can use for allies, or a poor man's lucky feat

Instant Hearth: At 17th level you can call on the power of your deity to summon a comfortable temporary home for you and your allies.

It's like a smaller version of Mordekainen's Magnificent Mansion.

We can't remove all levels of exhaustion.

My problem is that now it's not much more impressive than casting Leomund's Tiny Hut, giving a 4 hour long rest, and providing advantage on any saving throws that might crop up. Its not much for a 17th level feature.

I think we need something more combat-available. I feel like conjuring a home is something a priest of a hearth deity would do, not a cleric of a hearth deity.

I've got ideas running about my head now, thanks for your ideas Phawksin!

Phawksin
2016-05-17, 02:17 PM
I forget about frenzy working on exhaustion (I homebrew to work slightly differently), and I thought it was lesser restoration, not greater restoration, that removed a level. I'm not convinced that top level feature needs to be particularly combat oriented, as not all the domains are and I see the idea of the hearth cleric as a little more utility. Regardless, I like the dual uses of hearthfire, though I think a buff and debuff might fit the theme better than direct damage. I still think some kind of bonus to short or long rests would be appropriate, something along the lines of making any environment feel like home. In my mind I see a hearth domain focusing on buffing in and out of combat without necessarily healing directly.

zeek0
2016-05-18, 08:47 AM
I'm not convinced that top level feature needs to be particularly combat oriented, as not all the domains are and I see the idea of the hearth cleric as a little more utility.

Alright, you've convinced me! Many of the existing domains are non-combat. I still think that conjuring a house is fairly odd for a feature (since one can imagine that you should be using a feature every day), but I do think that providing some kind of long-term buff or aura is merited. I'm thinking something along the lines of heroes' feast, but I'm not really sure. I'll post something later.

I like the dual uses of hearthfire, though I think a buff and debuff might fit the theme better than direct damage.
Thanks! I'll work up a debuff version later tonight and post it to see if people like it better.

I still think some kind of bonus to short or long rests would be appropriate, something along the lines of making any environment feel like home.

Alright. I think that can be worked in somewhere. A long rest might be more appropriate - a home feeling can't be found from only an hour of rest. Perhaps the cleric can imbue a fire (since we give them produce flame as a cantrip) to give a long-lasting buff? This might even be a 6th level feature.

I'll get back later tonight with some concrete ideas. Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

zeek0
2016-05-18, 02:47 PM
I've worked up two options for the bane side of Hearthfire. The first does damage, not unlike hellish rebuke. The second is a debuff, but still meant to punish those that strike an ally. Please let me know which one you prefer, and why:

Bane: You can use a reaction in response to an ally being damaged by a creature within 60 feet of you that you can see. If you do, the hearthfire's power is expended on the creature and the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC. It takes 2d10 fire damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Bane: You can use a reaction in response to an ally being damaged by a creature within 60 feet of you that you can see. If you do, the hearthfire's power is expended and the creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or becomes stunned until the beginning of your next turn.

[Stunned is a crippling condition. But considering that by level 6 you can cast blindness/deafness and bestow curse, I think that this is acceptable.]

And here's my mock-up of a 17th level feature:
At 17th level you can call upon the power of your deity to imbue a campfire or similarly sized fire with divine energy. Creatures that complete a long rest within 60 feet of the fire are blessed, and can choose one of the following benefits, which last for 24 hours:
Bolstered. For the duration you are immune to being frightened, and when you hit with a weapon attack you deal an additional 1d6 fire damage to the target.
Shielded. You gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your level + your Wisdom modifier. In addition, three times during the duration when you make a saving throw you may choose to roll another die before the outcome is determined. If you do, treat the saving throw as if it were a Wisdom saving throw. You may choose to use the new result or the previous result.
Shrouded. You are obscured from the minds of enemy creatures. You are not invisible, but until you deal damage or cast a spell in their presence, you cannot be seen without the aid of magic or a special sense. When creatures are unaware of you you have advantage on attack rolls against them.

[I think that this could bear more options for different types of characters/situations. Feel free to respond with more options! Also, the name is currently terrible.]

I am also switching the Channel Divinity features so that Hearthfire is 2nd level and whatever shield ability is 6th level - I feel that this more accurately reflects power level and flavor of the class. If you disagree let me know.

Critiques are always welcome!

zeek0
2016-05-19, 03:02 PM
I'm loathe to triple post, but I've made some bold updates.

I added two more options for the Hearthfire feature. I think that the Restored option is bold, but is reasonable.

I've written up a mechanically sound version of Divine Shield that I think is reasonable. Let me know.

I've decided that I like the damage version of Hearthflame: Bane better. This is because I feel that a Hearth cleric is not about the buff/debuff dichotomy. She will buff her allies, and destroy enemies - there is no room for curses or wily enchantments. Let me know if you disagree and I'll consider it more.

I'm most worried about the capstone feature. Let me know if it is too much or too weird, and I'll tinker with it.

If one of the features is odd/strange/stupid then I'd love to talk about replacements.

I'd appreciate at least a word of yea or nay from a few folk before I wrap the product up.

Thanks all.

Final Hyena
2016-05-19, 03:20 PM
What is the action to start Hearthflame?

Phawksin
2016-05-19, 10:06 PM
Hearthfire
At 17th level you can call upon the power of your deity to transform a campfire or similarly sized fire into a hearthfire. The hearthfire is magical fire that cannot be extinguished and does not deal damage to objects. The hearthfire endures for 10 hours. Up to five creatures of your choice that complete a long rest within 30 feet of the fire are blessed and gain one of the following benefits of their choice, which last for 24 hours:
Emboldened. For the duration you are immune to being frightened, and when you hit with a weapon attack for the first time on your turn you deal an additional 1d8 fire damage.
Enlightened. For the duration, you are immune to charm effects. In addition, you gain three hearthfire lights. Whenever you make an Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma ability check or saving throw you can spend one hearthfire light to roll an additional d20. You can choose to spend the hearthfire light after you roll the die, but before the outcome is determined. You choose which of the d20s is used for the ability check or saving throw.
Restored. You are restored, and all debilitating effects are removed. Your exhaustion level is reduced by one. All status conditions, poisons, and diseases are removed from you. Any reduction to your ability scores or hit points is removed. Any curses are lifted, including your attunement to a cursed magic item. This ends any effects that would be ended by greater restoration, heal, or wish.
Shrouded. You are obscured from the minds of enemy creatures. You are not invisible, but until you deal damage or cast a spell in their presence, you cannot be seen without the aid of magic or a special sense. When creatures are unaware of you, you have advantage on attack rolls against them.
Warded. You gain a number of temporary hit points equal to your level + your Wisdom modifier for the duration. When this ward is damaged by a creature, that creature takes an amount of fire damage equal to the damage they dealt to the ward.

I really like the hearthfire idea, its evocative, fun and seems appropriately powerful. I think the Restored option shouldn't have the Wish tag on it, as greater restoration and heal are more than fine and I don't think creatures should be able to do things like regrow limbs with it. The Shrouded option is a little awkward in the wording: it seems to indicate that as long as you aren't killing people you can do anything, anywhere, without being noticed; but I do really like that it isn't just "advantage on sneaking".

zeek0
2016-05-20, 02:34 AM
What is the action to start Hearthflame?
Good catch. I think that an action is reasonable, especially since you get to use it as a reaction later.

I've changed the damage on the Bane portion of Hearthflame to be 2d10 + cleric level, to bring it in line with the damage dealt by the Light domain's Radiance of the Dawn feature. This will also make it useful at later levels.

I've changed it so that you only get produce flame as a bonus cantrip, to make it comparable to the Light domain.

I really like the hearthfire idea, its evocative, fun and seems appropriately powerful. I think the Restored option shouldn't have the Wish tag on it, as greater restoration and heal are more than fine and I don't think creatures should be able to do things like regrow limbs with it

Thanks! I tried to take your idea of a safe place (home) and long-term buffs, then translate it into life on the road.

I agree, and it has been changed.

The Shrouded option is a little awkward in the wording: it seems to indicate that as long as you aren't killing people you can do anything, anywhere, without being noticed; but I do really like that it isn't just "advantage on sneaking".

I hear you. Its hard to translate what I have in my head into D&D mechanics.
I want the power to be expressed in a way similar to Imp's power in the web serial Worm (highly recommended), the Simon's power in the TV show Misfits, or the perception filter in Doctor Who.

You aren't invisible. The minds of others around you are affected so that they pay no attention to you; you leave no impression. A reasonable limitation would allow you to be seen by Arcane Eye, Truesight, or creatures otherwise immune to the charmed condition (undead, constructs). But if you take overt action (attack or spell), then you are revealed to creatures that can see you.

Mechanically I suppose it is like Greater Invisibility, but makes you invisible to each other creature individually.

Better than Greater Invisibility: You cannot be perceived by other senses. Enemies cannot guess your position beyond what they see you effect directly. You can be tracked, but not found. Lasts for 24 hours.
Worse than Greater Invisibility: Creatures can see you through alternate means (Arcane Eye, or if they are immune to the charmed condition. A creature can see you after you directly interact with them

How's this?:

Shrouded. You are obscured from the minds of other creatures. You are not invisible, but until you attack them, cast a spell on them, deal damage to them, or otherwise directly interact with them you cannot be perceived by them. Creatures can perceive you through alternate means (such as Arcane Eye), Truesight, or if they are immune to the charmed condition.
While creatures are unaware of you, you have advantage on attack rolls against them and they have disadvantage on attack rolls against you.

Phawksin
2016-05-23, 09:54 PM
So, I really like this and am totally taking it to be available in my games, if thats alright with you. Last things that I see:
Protective Ward is a little hard to understand, I recommend a slight rewording.
Divine Shield I think works exactly as it should, and I think adding the effects of cover (assuming that would be the desired effect of the feature) simply as a reference, as its a rule that doesn't come up super often.
I like the adjustment to Shrouded, its a little more clear. I think the line about creatures having disadvantage is a bit redundant, as they would be unaware of you anyway, but I also get its a mechanical support for a fairly esoteric feature. After rereading it again I think its super cool and not nearly as gamebreaking as I first thought, but still really cool and useful both in and out of combat.

zeek0
2016-05-24, 12:27 AM
So, I really like this and am totally taking it to be available in my games, if thats alright with you. Last things that I see:
Protective Ward is a little hard to understand, I recommend a slight rewording.
Divine Shield I think works exactly as it should, and I think adding the effects of cover (assuming that would be the desired effect of the feature) simply as a reference, as its a rule that doesn't come up super often.
I like the adjustment to Shrouded, its a little more clear. I think the line about creatures having disadvantage is a bit redundant, as they would be unaware of you anyway, but I also get its a mechanical support for a fairly esoteric feature. After rereading it again I think its super cool and not nearly as gamebreaking as I first thought, but still really cool and useful both in and out of combat.

Thanks for the comments. Of course you can use it in games - that's why I put anything up here.

I have reworded Protective Ward. Let me know if it is still obtuse, and I'll put more work into it.

I've added a bit to Divine Shield so that it mentions cover.

I really enjoyed making this homebrew!

zeek0
2016-05-24, 10:07 AM
A curiosity-
In my new wording of the Protective Ward feature, it is possible to give allies resistance to the offensive spells you cast that include them in the target area.

For example: I *really need* to cast fireball into that swarm of mummies, but Thargor the Barbarian is already in the fray swinging his greataxe.
1) Cast Fireball
2) Thargor is a creature affected by my spell, so I lend him resistance to fire until the beginning of my next turn. He takes half damage from my fireball.

It's like a poor man's shape spell.

I *think* that I would feel okay if someone used that feature this way. Do ya'll think that it breaks anything?

Phawksin
2016-05-24, 10:46 AM
Those changes look pretty good, I dig it.

Also, awesome catch with Protective Ward, I think that's an awesome and completely reasonable use of the feature. Not to mention getting an area spell like that might be a little difficult for a Cleric in the first place, so it rewards creative kit building. Speaking of, something I didn't mention before is the domain spells: I think they are fantastically thematic, maybe my favorite part of the whole build.

sigurd
2016-05-29, 10:55 PM
I can see this for PCs and NPCs.... Thank you.

I like it.