PDA

View Full Version : Review/Suggestions for a Pathfinder Barbarian

lynxd80
2016-05-16, 06:29 PM
So I'm playing a Barbarian of the "Invulnerable Rager" Archtype and was originally going for a "Come and Get me" Build. However, I'm not sure if I'm really doing it right or if I even have the right stats to be effective with the build. So, I wanted to post my Character stats here, my plans for feats/rage abilities past my current level (which is 9th), and see if it looks alright or if I should try to go another route. Here's what i got:

Stats:
Str: 20
Dex: 14
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

Race:
Human Barbarian with the 'Heart of the Field" alternative feature.

Traits:
"Optimistic gambler" & "Second Chance".

Current Feats:
Endurance (Bonus Feat), Power Attack, Die-Hard, Combat Reflexes, Stalwart, Raging Vitality, & Champion (Bonus Story Feat)

Current Rage Powers:
Superstitious, Strength Surge, Witch Hunter, Surprise Accuracy

Planned Feats:
11th - Stalwart, improved; 13th - Step Up; 15th - Following Step; 17th - Step Up and Strike; 19th - Strike back

Planned Rage Powers:
10th - Guarded Life; 12th - No Escape; 14th - Eater of Magic; 16th - Deadly Accuracy; 18th - Come and Get Me; 20th - Lethal Accuracy

I am currently equipped with a +2 Sturdy Mithral Plate Armor (+11 to my AC), Pauldrons of the Bull, Belt of Giant Strength +4 (raises my 20 Strength Score to a 24), Ring of Protection +1, Ring of Improved jump, and Boots of Longstriding. I, also, came into the possession of a +1 Heirloom living steel spiked Heavyshield of Bashing. I have a +1 Furious Nodachi that I plan to upgrade to a +1 Furious Keen Nodachi once I collect 4,000 more GP, a few potions of "Mirror's image" and "Blur", and 4 doses of "All-Night" for the Rage Cycling. Wish I had better, but we're playing in a slow progression/low Gold sort of game.

Thoughts, Reviews of the current LvL 9 character, and opinions are truly welcomed. I thank you all in advance for them!

~Lynx D.

Geddy2112
2016-05-16, 07:35 PM
Looks like a solid build so far. I assume you have three ranks in acrobatics, but if you don't get three to get the AC bonus from fighting defensively that will stack with stalwart and greater.

For rage powers-guarded life is okay, works well since you have endurance/diehard. I have seen enemies use the withdraw action maybe 2-3 times in all my years. Most monsters fight to the death or will 5 foot step around, so I would pass on no escape. You have the step up feat chain to do this better. I think your build is fine for a come and get me, and I would take it at level 12. You don't have to use it all the time and it works with critfishing on the defense with stalwart and such. Deadly accuracy/lethal accuracy is okay with a critfish weapon, but I am not a huge fan personally. I would strongly consider the disruptive and spellbreaker rage powers to help provoke more AoO's and combined with the step up chain you can shut down casters.

Psyren
2016-05-17, 09:05 AM
For repeatable rage-cycling, you want to get your hands on a Cord of Stubborn Resolve (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/cord-of-stubborn-resolve) as soon as you can. Then use the Ultimate Equipment rules to buff it up with the standard physical enhancements (e.g. adding in the properties of a Belt of Physical Might.)

I also recommend the Intimidating Prowess (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/intimidating-prowess-combat---final) feat to give you a thematic way to contribute out of combat. You can stop there, or go whole-hog with a demoralize-focused build; this is particularly useful if you end up facing any psychic opponents as you can shut off their casting.

I notice that you have both a nodachi and a spiked shield - which one do you plan on using? That choice will inform other suggestions, like style feats.

Hogsy
2016-05-17, 02:39 PM
So I'm playing a Barbarian of the "Invulnerable Rager" Archtype and was originally going for a "Come and Get me" Build. However, I'm not sure if I'm really doing it right or if I even have the right stats to be effective with the build. So, I wanted to post my Character stats here, my plans for feats/rage abilities past my current level (which is 9th), and see if it looks alright or if I should try to go another route. Here's what i got:

Stats:
Str: 20
Dex: 14
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

Race:
Human Barbarian with the 'Heart of the Field" alternative feature.

Traits:
"Optimistic gambler" & "Second Chance".

Current Feats:
Endurance (Bonus Feat), Power Attack, Die-Hard, Combat Reflexes, Stalwart, Raging Vitality, & Champion (Bonus Story Feat)

Current Rage Powers:
Superstitious, Strength Surge, Witch Hunter, Surprise Accuracy

Planned Feats:
11th - Stalwart, improved; 13th - Step Up; 15th - Following Step; 17th - Step Up and Strike; 19th - Strike back

Planned Rage Powers:
10th - Guarded Life; 12th - No Escape; 14th - Eater of Magic; 16th - Deadly Accuracy; 18th - Come and Get Me; 20th - Lethal Accuracy

I am currently equipped with a +2 Sturdy Mithral Plate Armor (+11 to my AC), Pauldrons of the Bull, Belt of Giant Strength +4 (raises my 20 Strength Score to a 24), Ring of Protection +1, Ring of Improved jump, and Boots of Longstriding. I, also, came into the possession of a +1 Heirloom living steel spiked Heavyshield of Bashing. I have a +1 Furious Nodachi that I plan to upgrade to a +1 Furious Keen Nodachi once I collect 4,000 more GP, a few potions of "Mirror's image" and "Blur", and 4 doses of "All-Night" for the Rage Cycling. Wish I had better, but we're playing in a slow progression/low Gold sort of game.

Thoughts, Reviews of the current LvL 9 character, and opinions are truly welcomed. I thank you all in advance for them!

~Lynx D.

You might want to get the Courageous enhancement on your weapon. It increases any morale bonus you have on you by 1/2 of its total enchantment bonus. If its total is +4 then you get an extra +2 to your Str and Con! Way better than Keen imo at least for now.

Elricaltovilla
2016-05-17, 02:48 PM
You might want to get the Courageous enhancement on your weapon. It increases any morale bonus you have on you by 1/2 of its total enchantment bonus. If its total is +4 then you get an extra +2 to your Str and Con! Way better than Keen imo at least for now.

Courageous only applies to morale bonuses vs. Fear (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gg#v5748eaic9tf0).

Psyren
2016-05-17, 02:49 PM

Sorry, this is no longer true; Courageous only applies to saves vs. fear now. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gg#v5748eaic9tf0)

lynxd80
2016-05-17, 05:59 PM
Looks like a solid build so far. I assume you have three ranks in acrobatics, but if you don't get three to get the AC bonus from fighting defensively that will stack with stalwart and greater.

I didn’t realize it, but yes! I, in fact, do! I’m going to start adding that in from here on in! Also, I’m currently reviewing your suggestions and seeing what I can work out.

For repeatable rage-cycling, you want to get your hands on a Cord of Stubborn Resolve (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/cord-of-stubborn-resolve) as soon as you can. Then use the Ultimate Equipment rules to buff it up with the standard physical enhancements (e.g. adding in the properties of a Belt of Physical Might.)

I also recommend the Intimidating Prowess (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/intimidating-prowess-combat---final) feat to give you a thematic way to contribute out of combat. You can stop there, or go whole-hog with a demoralize-focused build; this is particularly useful if you end up facing any psychic opponents as you can shut off their casting.

I notice that you have both a Nodachi and a spiked shield - which one do you plan on using? That choice will inform other suggestions, like style feats.

I am DEFINITLY going to get that cord and get the party Crafter to help me out! My Cha is not really great, so I’m not sure how effective “Intimidating Prowess” would be… Maybe with something that grants me some additional Cha bonuses… As for what I plan on using: My Character is Primarily 2 handed weapons, so the Nodachi will see the most use! However, he also likes to keep a pole arm on him and, having just received the shield and a mysterious rusted Bastard sword from a revenant he defeated, is going to keep the shield in case he should run into anything that might require more protection to fight. Think I’m going to have to get him a Hammer or a mace, too, but I digress…

The main weapon is my Nodachi.

THANK YOU! I knew I was forgetting something! I need to Keen my blade AND get Courageous placed upon it! Then, I’ll look into something “Damage-y” to place on the blade! Hmm... Maybe, I can get my DM to let me get a Scabbard og keen edges and just add Courageous on the blade, next!

Psyren
2016-05-17, 06:54 PM
I am DEFINITLY going to get that cord and get the party Crafter to help me out! My Cha is not really great, so I’m not sure how effective “Intimidating Prowess” would be… Maybe with something that grants me some additional Cha bonuses…

The whole point of it is that you don't need Cha :smalltongue: Every boost you do to your strength, including rage, will make you more intimidating. Your cha doesn't need to be any higher than it already is, with this.

THANK YOU! I knew I was forgetting something! I need to Keen my blade AND get Courageous placed upon it! Then, I’ll look into something “Damage-y” to place on the blade! Hmm... Maybe, I can get my DM to let me get a Scabbard og keen edges and just add Courageous on the blade, next!

Again, Courageous isn't doing a whole lot unless you're worried about fear effects. If your GM houserules it back to the old version though it's a no-brainer.

lynxd80
2016-05-17, 07:04 PM
Again, Courageous isn't doing a whole lot unless you're worried about fear effects. If your GM houserules it back to the old version though it's a no-brainer.

Sorry. When I originally made my response back to everyone, i had not seen the posts following on the errata to"Courageous". I will add that that kinda sucks XD. DM tries to keep everything by the "Up to date", so I'm pretty sure he'd deny going backwards on it. Oh well,..

Hogsy
2016-05-18, 12:57 PM
Sorry, this is no longer true; Courageous only applies to saves vs. fear now. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gg#v5748eaic9tf0)

Meh, I'm still going to play it that way. I do realize the +1 may be a bit too low of a cost but they have no idea how to think of costs on some abilities. Most of the higher + are utterly useless or extremely situational and this one was so nice.

lynxd80
2016-05-18, 03:35 PM
The whole point of it is that you don't need Cha :smalltongue: Every boost you do to your strength, including rage, will make you more intimidating. Your cha doesn't need to be any higher than it already is, with this.

Re-looked at it.. That's REALLY nice! I might have to find a way to work that in! But i'm not sure what Feat I would remove to take it... Thanks for the suggestion!