PDA

View Full Version : Simple Magic Items

Pavbat666
2016-05-16, 07:09 PM
Just to clarify, I play DND 3.5e, and I was looking over for any changes I wanted to make in my adventure, and it struck me. I didn't add enough magic items, but when I looked in the DM guide, I just didn't know what I wanted to put in. I already put enough potions and scrolls, and all the other magic items for low levels were just useless, and my group would have no need for them. I want something useful, and will occasionally be used, but with a good purpose. I need something that isn't a potion or scroll. I was wishing if anyone had any ideas. Also, it would help if you stuck to the DM guide, and items that around weak levels (levels 1st, 2nd, and 3rd).

Thanks in advance!!

Fizban
2016-05-16, 08:11 PM
Under those constraints there really isn't a solution. If you can only use one book and you've checked all the stuff in that book then you're done. At 1st-3rd (max WBL 2,700gp) it's an incredibly short list you're picking from.

Almost all the cheap items in the DMG are consumables. Counting up through the wondrous item list for non-consumable, non-defensive/storage items you've got Gray Bag of Tricks, Hand of the Mage, Pearl of Power 1, Pipes of the Sewers, Hat of Disguise, Pipes of Sounding, Horn of Fog, and Robe of Bones. Throw in a Ring of Feather Fall and a Rod of Extend and that's it.

If you can't or won't expand your books then you'll need to homebrew something instead. And before anyone starts telling you to just use the formulas, remember that those aren't actual rules and if it looks too good to be true then you probably shouldn't allow it. Look at that list of items again: mage hand, obscuring mist, and bard-only stuff, not exactly winning. That said, items that cast a 0th or 1st level spell a few times per day can be useful and cheap enough to use in that level range. A torch that throws a 1st level Burning Hands 1/day could go as low as 360gp and certainly won't break the game, but definitely has a use for pest control or starting fires for a non-magical character.

Pavbat666
2016-05-16, 08:31 PM
Well thank you for that. That slightly helped, but I think I may be able to expand. I haven't really looked into it, but are there any cheap magic items in the Magic Item Compendium? I'm guessing those are probably just really overpowered items that don't have a lot to do with lower levels. But thanks anyway!

(I'm sorry for the noob questions, I am relatively new to DMing, and I usually like sticking to core rulebooks:smallsmile:)

nyjastul69
2016-05-16, 08:49 PM
Well thank you for that. That slightly helped, but I think I may be able to expand. I haven't really looked into it, but are there any cheap magic items in the Magic Item Compendium? I'm guessing those are probably just really overpowered items that don't have a lot to do with lower levels. But thanks anyway!

(I'm sorry for the noob questions, I am relatively new to DMing, and I usually like sticking to core rulebooks:smallsmile:)

There are numerous 'cheap' items in the MIC. Chronocharms, weapon crystals, magic bedroll, everfull mug, and everlasting rations are just a few of the lesser priced magic items in the MIC. I would suggest looking through it if you have a copy.

Divide by Zero
2016-05-16, 11:37 PM

Magic Item Compendium has magic items for all levels. And while there might be some overpowered stuff in it, I can't recall anything off the top of my head. It certainly isn't unbalanced overall.

Fizban
2016-05-17, 06:29 AM
The Magic Item Compendium is the main stop for cheap magic items, since it took a long time for them to really start being printed. Older books are full of overpriced garbage while MiC has dozens of pieces at low cost (and a few prominent items that have no business being that cheap), including reprints/reworks of many older items with the prices dramatically slashed simply because they're useless otherwise. It's actually rather lacking in high end stuff.

weckar
2016-05-17, 07:29 AM
There is an optional rule somewhere (forgive me for not having the source handy) that adds minor curses to magic items to lower their effective price. In particular I recall the "Reluctant" curse for weapons which in-universe makes its swings actively avoid enemies. Mechanically it reduces the base physical damage to just the STR bonus (no dice) and reduces the attack bonus by 1 from the base weapon.

When it comes to 'cheap' magical items, I personally enjoy the Ring of the Darkhidden, chronocharms, the phylactery of faithfulness and the Ring of Minor Miracles (at will prestidigitation is rather awesome).

BowStreetRunner
2016-05-17, 07:46 AM
There are some awesome compiled lists of useful magic items out there that you should peruse. The fact that they all provide references to the source book for each item allows you to tailor your picks to the books you can access. Here are my favorites:

Bunko's Bargin Basement (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1002)
Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook))
Lists of Necessary Magic Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items)
Fill That Slot! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?149464-Fill-That-Slot!-3-5)

Darrin
2016-05-17, 09:58 AM
From the DMG, up to 2500 GP:

Amulet of Natural Armor (2000 GP). Anybody who doesn't already have their throat slot filled can use this. Along with the Ring of Protection +1, this is usually the cheapest AC bonus you can buy that isn't armor or a shield.

Armor/Shield +1 (1150 + X GP). Glance at some character sheets to see if anyone could use some magic armor or a shield, otherwise you're just giving the PCs a somewhat bulkier trade-in item. To make it distinctive, add a 1st level spell effect 1/day (360 GP) of something like enlarge person, entropic shield, longstrider, protection from bunnies, etc.

Bag of Tricks, Gray (900 GP). Occasionally mocked (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html), but you never quite know what creative PCs (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0163.html) will come up with.

Boots/Cloak of the Elvenkind (2500 GP). Really boring, but you can spice them up a bit by adding a 1/day spell effect, such as expeditious retreat, longstrider, pass without trace, etc.

Boots of the Winterlands (2500 GP). All-day endure elements, and you can walk across ice as if it were normal terrain (particularly useful if the party cleric likes to throw down ice slick a lot).

Bracers of Armor +1 (1000 GP). Usually a drop for monks, wizards, or sorcerers. As with above, consider adding a 1/day spell effect, something like shield or remove fear.

Cloak of Resistance +1 (1000 GP). An excellent starter item for pretty much any PC, and most likely the default cloak up into mid-level ranges. For additional 1/day spell effects, consider something like endure elements, disguise self, or hide from undead.

Goggles of Minute Seeing (1250 GP). Excellent drop for a rogue or ranger.

Hand of the Mage (900 GP). Another essential item every adventurer should have in his toolkit.

Hat of Disguise (1800 GP). AKA the "Social Engineering Chainsaw". Sneak past guards, infiltrate enemy camps, crash fancy dress balls, etc.

Heward's Handy Haversack (2000 GP). Completely useless. Forget I even mentioned it. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-(Equipment-Handbook))

Horn of Fog (2000 GP). Battlefield control item that can be used to block LOS or provide some concealment, but it's tricky to use effectively unless you've got an unseen servant or familiar that can deploy it in a more tactical way.

Necklace of Fireballs Type I (1650 GP). Essentially a consumable, but an excellent tactical option for clearing out cannonfodder or turning the tide of a boss fight. Creative PCs might also find ways to turn them into time bombs, distractions, makeshift demolitions, etc.

Pearl of Power, 1st (1000 GP). Great drop for any spellcaster.

Qual's Feather Token: Fan (200 GP). Counters obscuring mist, fog cloud, smoke, etc. Also, 8 hours of dramatic wind for cape swishing (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CapeSwish) (Warning: TVTropes link).

Qual's Feather Token: Tree (400 GP). A thousand different uses: blocking corridors, climbing over walls, counter to "swallow whole", drop on your enemies from above for 20d6 falling object damage.

Qual's Feather Token: Swan Boat (450 GP). Used in much the same way as the tree, but also provides an aqueous transportation service.

Qual's Feather Token: Whip (500 GP). I like to make sure I drop this on low-level groups who can't afford magic weapons yet, in case they run into something that has DR X/magic. It also has a grapple effect, which makes this a great item for rogues having trouble finding a flanker. I recommend you ignore the typical damage restriction on whips.

Quiver of Ehlonna (1800 GP). The first neat thing you need to know about this quiver is it holds a lot more than just arrows: pretty much any weapon is about the same size and shape of a javelin or longbow. Also, wands, rods, staves. But you're not limited to weapons, either: smokesticks, sunrods, bolt cutters, alchemical flare stakes, fishing poles, stilts, post hole diggers, spyglasses, tiki torches, mandolins, alphorns, tactical baguettes, etc. The second neat thing you need to know is drawing these items out of the quiver takes as much effort as drawing an arrow or a weapon. So ammunition (or similar objects) are a free action, and weapons are a move action, but could be even faster if you've got Quickdraw or a Least Crystal of Return.

Ring of Protection +1 (2000 GP). Kinda boring, but everybody grabs one of these to start with. To make it more distinctive, add something like detect poison or purify food and drink 1/day (180 GP).

Ring of Feather Falling (2200 GP). An old-favorite, an all-day "Get Out of Falling Damage Free" card.

Ring of Sustenance (2500 GP). It looks boring, but even higher level PCs will pick this up to get out of keeping track of rations and the "2 hours for a full night's rest". It also makes setting watches a lot easier.

Ring of Jumping (2500 GP). This is actually a decent drop for meatbags that do a lot of charging. Obstacles in your way can prevent a charge, but you can complete the charge by jumping over them.

Silversheen (250 GP). It's good to have this in your pack somewhere, in case you run into werewolves or whatnot.

Unguent of Timelessness (150 GP). Add to various organic items to make them last x365 times longer: focusing candle, fire beetle lamp, hearthfire, chaos flasks, troll gut rope, smokestick, tactical bacon, etc.