PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A "unkillable" druid

danpit2991
2016-05-16, 09:19 PM
hello if this has been asked before i apologize

lets get right to it then i have a game coming up and saw what i think might be some awesome synergy
if i was to play a half orc mood druid and shift into a boar do i get the benefit of- EDIT-THE BOARS Relentless? that is when if you take 7 or less damage that reduces you to 0 hp (10 for giant boar) it is reduced to 1 if so that would mean it would take killing me 4 times before i reverted to my original form (if i had both uses of wild shape available) then in my half orc form it would take two more killings before i am all dead instead of mostly dead for a total of up to 6 killings to make sure!!!! and then when you throw in the healing from combat wild shape i would be almost unkillable. or am i waaaaaayy off base here?

i know that boar is not the most effective combat form but id does enough damage and the knock prone ability is cool

so what do yall think will this work?

Gastronomie
2016-05-16, 09:50 PM
In TRPGs, whether something is okay by raw hardly, if ever, matters. What matters is if it is actually fun for the entire group or not. If your friends are okay with it it's fine, but Moon Druids are already broken enough, and I doubt a DM will allow that. Especially as it doesn't even make sense, since the half-orc ability functions due to the half-orc's strongly built body, which is not a trait a normal boar has.

danpit2991
2016-05-16, 09:59 PM
@Gastronomie

well i was talking about it with my DM at work today and he seems all for it so no worries there and as far as boars being tough buggers i have hunted them and with out a doubt they are. mean suckers too!!! lol i was just worried that i was reading it wrong, and a boars d6 damage 2d6 for a giant boar shouldnt break anything now some of the bears on the other hand yikes!! at least early on

dejarnjc
2016-05-16, 10:09 PM
In TRPGs, whether something is okay by raw hardly, if ever, matters. What matters is if it is actually fun for the entire group or not. If your friends are okay with it it's fine, but Moon Druids are already broken enough, and I doubt a DM will allow that. Especially as it doesn't even make sense, since the half-orc ability functions due to the half-orc's strongly built body, which is not a trait a normal boar has.

Moon druids are hardly broken (maybe at level 2) and turning into a boar will definitely NOT break the game.

Saggo
2016-05-16, 10:10 PM
Especially as it doesn't even make sense, since the half-orc ability functions due to the half-orc's strongly built body, which is not a trait a normal boar has.

There's no indication of that in the Relentless Endurance text. It could be flavored as a Rage of Gruumsh thing as much as a physical thing.

Regardless, Relentless Endurance only works once per long rest, so the unkillable half-orc druid is only unkillable for one more attack. Boar's Relentless requires a short rest too; a Half-Orc Giant Boar Druid could survive potentially 2 lethal attacks, revert and Wild Shape, and survive potentially one more lethal attack. Then you'd need at least a short rest.

danpit2991
2016-05-16, 10:22 PM
Regardless, Relentless Endurance only works once per long rest, so the unkillable half-orc druid is only unkillable for one more attack. Boar's Relentless requires a short rest too; a Half-Orc Giant Boar Druid could survive potentially 2 lethal attacks, revert and Wild Shape, and survive potentially one more lethal attack. Then you'd need at least a short rest.

assuming the first encounter after a long rest i shape into a boar get knocked to 0 hp (1 death) relentless to 1 knocked to 0 again (2 deaths) then using my second wild shape back into a new boar (assuming this resets the boars relentless as it is a new boar) i then have 2 more deaths as a new boar (4 deaths so far) then in my half orc shape with half orcs relentless endurance it will take 2 more deaths to finally kill me (6 deaths total) at least this is how it reads to me maybe im jacked up but thats what im gonna sell my DM on

EDIT- i think i get what yall were saying but in the text for boar in the MM and the PHB the boar has relentless and when wild shaped you are that beast so i should get the boars relentless as well right?

Saggo
2016-05-16, 10:31 PM
assuming the first encounter after a long rest i shape into a boar get knocked to 0 hp (1 death) relentless to 1 knocked to 0 again (2 deaths) then using my second wild shape back into a new boar (assuming this resets the boars relentless as it is a new boar) i then have 2 more deaths as a new boar (4 deaths so far) then in my half orc shape with half orcs relentless endurance it will take 2 more deaths to finally kill me (6 deaths total) at least this is how it reads to me maybe im jacked up but thats what im gonna sell my DM on

EDIT- i think i get what yall were saying but in the text for boar in the MM and the PHB the boar has relentless and when wild shaped you are that beast so i should get the boars relentless as well right?

Essentially you're right. Not dying would be the only thing a half-orc boar would be good at, assuming enough attacks are under the threshold, but you'd be very good at it.

MaxWilson
2016-05-16, 10:58 PM
Essentially you're right. Not dying would be the only thing a half-orc boar would be good at, assuming enough attacks are under the threshold, but you'd be very good at it.

Well I mean, it's okay at not dying, but mostly just because of its 42 HP. The thing I don't get is why the Giant Boar is CR 2 and the Giant Hyena is CR 1 when they have nearly identical stats except for that Relentless thing, which is like +8-10 HP. I guess the Giant Hyena was right on the border maybe?

If you really want to be brokenly good starting at level 2, get a wizard buddy to cast Mage Armor on you and then abuse Giant Hyena form (AC 15 and 45 HP twice per short rest is abusively good). Then by level 5 you can start casting Conjure Animals, and at level 6 you can transform into a Giant Constrictor Snake (assuming you've ever seen one) so you can restrain enemies and give everybody advantage to hit them. And at level 7 you can start Polymorphing people into Giant Apes alongside your Giant Constrictor Snake, and at level 9 you start summoning elementals and Planar Binding them...

Moon Druids are probably the most well-rounded, versatile class in 5E.

Saggo
2016-05-16, 11:16 PM
Well I mean, it's okay at not dying, but mostly just because of its 42 HP. The thing I don't get is why the Giant Boar is CR 2 and the Giant Hyena is CR 1 when they have nearly identical stats except for that Relentless thing, which is like +8-10 HP. I guess the Giant Hyena was right on the border maybe?

An effective 52 HP is pretty good, and you could have Barkskin. Giant Boar doesn't scale very well though, too many hostiles will start exceeding 10 damage as you level. You'd only be good at not dying, and eventually not even that.

danpit2991
2016-05-16, 11:30 PM
An effective 52 HP is pretty good, and you could have Barkskin. Giant Boar doesn't scale very well though, too many hostiles will start exceeding 10 damage as you level. You'd only be good at not dying, and eventually not even that.

ahhh but there is method to my madness this would keep me alive until i can achieve my ultimate form (my dm is a sadist well heartless anyway lol) and i do realize the boar is sub par but i figure with the charge attack i can knock things prone for my allies while not dying like a boss until i get powerful enough for high CR beasts

and i want to thank everyone who replied i hadn't really thought about higher levels until now

Foxhound438
2016-05-17, 01:42 AM

i keep seeing people say this kind of junk but I never see a moon druid actually making use of their abilities as a full caster- they always just want to turn into a bag of HP and do effectively nothing relevant in combat, and all the enemies in an area ignore the big fat thing that's doing 1/8 the damage of the other thing.

Anecdotal, but so be it.

Edit: and I've played a druid- a land druid. and crocodile form did fine. Better than a lot of moon druid forms I've seen used, in fact. and once level 7 comes around, you have polymorph to become a giant crocodile. Sure it's something a moon druid could do as well, but from what I've seen they always want to burn their spell slots for sub-par healing in their sub-par wild shape forms. they could do far better as a CR 7 beast for one combat than as a CR 2 for an entire day.

Flashy
2016-05-17, 02:35 AM
i keep seeing people say this kind of junk but I never see a moon druid actually making use of their abilities as a full caster- they always just want to turn into a bag of HP and do effectively nothing relevant in combat, and all the enemies in an area ignore the big fat thing that's doing 1/8 the damage of the other thing.

Anecdotal, but so be it.

Edit: and I've played a druid- a land druid. and crocodile form did fine. Better than a lot of moon druid forms I've seen used, in fact. and once level 7 comes around, you have polymorph to become a giant crocodile. Sure it's something a moon druid could do as well, but from what I've seen they always want to burn their spell slots for sub-par healing in their sub-par wild shape forms. they could do far better as a CR 7 beast for one combat than as a CR 2 for an entire day.

The most effective moon druid I've ever seen approached it from a control/mobility perspective, locking in some pretty solid grappling with giant octopus/giant toad forms.

spartan_ah
2016-05-17, 06:45 AM
my druid is a 4th level hill dwarf with 18 CON and resilient con...
that's unkillable!

got more HP than my barbarian, with strong savings in WIS and CON it's hard to take me off the board, I'm the last dwarf standing. that's why they call me 8 ball...