PDA

View Full Version : Demonologist 3.5 Legal?

magicalmagicman
2016-05-17, 01:39 AM
I want to do some fun Shadowcraft Mage and Demonologist shenanigans. Basically its gonna be Wizard, Demonogolist, Shadowcraft Mage, and Ultimate Magus. Summoning Mastery should more than compensate the wizard's delayed progression.

So... is Demonologist 3.5 Legal? What conversions must I give it? Are there any OFFICIAL updates to the class?

DrMotives
2016-05-17, 01:48 AM
Well, it's not on the official list, although Exalted Deeds is.
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata

magicalmagicman
2016-05-17, 01:50 AM
I know that Demonologists exist in the 3.5 world. Fiendish Codex I mentions the class directly, which is a 3.5 book.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-05-17, 01:51 AM
The standard by-line is that anything 3.0 is 3.5 legal unless it's been updated in a more recent book. Demonologist was never updated, so it's still legal unless your DM specifically rules otherwise. Some DM's do, in fact, rule that -all- 3.0 stuff is unavailable in their games for reasons I simply cannot fathom.

magicalmagicman
2016-05-17, 01:57 AM
The standard by-line is that anything 3.0 is 3.5 legal

Do you have any supporting quotes for that? It would go a long way for me.

I think I can convince my DM of demonologist mainly because they were mentioned in FC I, but it would still help.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-05-17, 02:11 AM
DMG pg 4, under "Why a revision?"

To clarify; that sidebar is explicitly saying that 3.5 is an update to, and not a replacement for, Dungeons & Dragons 3.0.

IIRC, there's also some mention of this in the intro to the 3.0 to 3.5 update booklet and maybe something in the errata files(?)

magicalmagicman
2016-05-17, 02:38 AM
Alright, thanks. Its a pity I lost interest though XD.

Man, demonologist requires 3 worthless feats and chaotic evil alignment. There goes my dream of spamming an ungodly amount of shadow colossal fiendish spiders using most of my spell slots.

Divide by Zero
2016-05-17, 02:46 AM
Alright, thanks. Its a pity I lost interest though XD.

Man, demonologist requires 3 worthless feats and chaotic evil alignment. There goes my dream of spamming an ungodly amount of shadow colossal fiendish spiders using most of my spell slots.

Maybe you could do it with Malconvoker? I'm not sure whether its class features work with shadow versions of the spells though. Ask your DM.

magicalmagicman
2016-05-17, 02:52 AM
Maybe you could do it with Malconvoker? I'm not sure whether its class features work with shadow versions of the spells though. Ask your DM.

Demonologists have a class features that lets you pick creatures from a summon monster list that are +4 levels higher if they are chaotic evil. This means you can summon a fiendish colossal spider with a summon monster 5 spell.

Malconvoker has nothing of the sort, although it does have an automatic twin spell on fiendish summons.

Anyways this was a nice gimmick I was gonna play around with.

ATHATH
2016-05-17, 08:39 AM
Just use Fiendform- you can turn into SM VIII or lower demons because Demonologists can acquire SM VIII demons from SM IV. You won't even have to be a Demonologist.