PDA

View Full Version : RIAA wins the battle

Chris_Chandler
2007-06-26, 08:51 AM
FYI, for anyone that listens or is concerned with Net radio:

www.pandora.com

It's been threatening for a while, but this is pretty much the last thing that they wanted.

Pendragonx
2007-06-26, 10:19 AM
www.di.fm

also has joined the cause

Raven T.
2007-06-26, 05:01 PM
While I do not in any way, shape, or form condone the tactics of the RIAA in this matter, what good do they intend to do by preforming a day of silence? This is similar to the day where they were going to have everyone "send a message to big oil" by not buying gasoline a few weeks ago. Not only will the RIAA not care, but I doubt there will be a sufficient number of people writing angry letters to their congressmen or a sufficient number of congressmen who, even in the face of a large outpouring of outrage at the decision reached, will do much of anything.

If you cannot tell, I've lost faith in the government, but this is not the place to have that discussion.

FdL
2007-06-26, 08:21 PM
Funny thing is, when I go to the Pandora page I can't even see what you're talking about. I get a notice saying that for licensing reasons the service is unavailable in my country:

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for most listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-26, 10:43 PM
Funny thing is, when I go to the Pandora page I can't even see what you're talking about. I get a notice saying that for licensing reasons the service is unavailable in my country:

If you want to access it just find a proxy located in the US and do it through that.

Chris_Chandler
2007-06-27, 07:46 AM
That is also the RIAA - basically, Pandora is trying to the most ethical, legal thing, as far as the law is right now, and so has discontinued service abroad. Pandora is attempting to be the vanguard about being the "good guys" so that the US legislature can see that the whole lot of the 'net music world isn't a bunch of pirates.

FdL
2007-06-27, 01:28 PM
If you want to access it just find a proxy located in the US and do it through that.

I hadn't thought of that...I don't know if it would work very smoothly, but it's worth trying. Of course, not to me, I really don't listen to it because it has nothing to offer to my knowledge of music. But my cousin used to listen to it, I'll tell him to try it. Thanks!

Pendragonx
2007-06-27, 07:18 PM
While I do not in any way, shape, or form condone the tactics of the RIAA in this matter, what good do they intend to do by preforming a day of silence? This is similar to the day where they were going to have everyone "send a message to big oil" by not buying gasoline a few weeks ago. Not only will the RIAA not care, but I doubt there will be a sufficient number of people writing angry letters to their congressmen or a sufficient number of congressmen who, even in the face of a large outpouring of outrage at the decision reached, will do much of anything.

If you cannot tell, I've lost faith in the government, but this is not the place to have that discussion.

I just read an article today saying 20,000 to 30,000 people had called in their reps because of being made aware of this... My guess is the radio stations were hoping to not only show impact (however big or small) from lost royalties for not playing music that day, but to alert the casual 'net radio listener who doesnt pay attention to news headlines that this is Serious Business.

But who knows if that will do enough.. time will tell.