PDA

View Full Version : Can you lose bonus feats?

magicalmagicman
2016-05-17, 09:11 AM
Lets say for example you're an eldritch knight, your bonus feat is weapon focus(unarmed), but for some reason you lose a martial weapon proficiency.

If you are ruling that you lose all benefits of a prestige class when you no longer meet its requirements, do you lose your bonus feat even though you qualify for the bonus feat itself? So in this example, do you lose weapon focus(dagger)?

weckar
2016-05-17, 09:15 AM
Considering many (okay, a few) prestige classes disqualify themselves from entering, I would limit the scope of this discussion to PrCs from books that explicitly mention repercussions for 'no longer' qualifying. By general rules, qualifying upon entry is enough.

Psyren
2016-05-17, 09:17 AM
If you are ruling that you lose all benefits of a prestige class when you no longer meet its requirements, do you lose your bonus feat even though you qualify for the bonus feat itself? So in this example, do you lose weapon focus(dagger)?

If you're ruling this way, then yes, the bonus feats from a PrC are part of its benefits (i.e. the class features it gives you) and you would lose them.

magicalmagicman
2016-05-17, 09:25 AM
If you're ruling this way, then yes, the bonus feats from a PrC are part of its benefits (i.e. the class features it gives you) and you would lose them.

Ok, so lets say you lose Nymph's Kiss. Do you retroactively lose all skill points or just no longer gain new skill points?

weckar
2016-05-17, 09:30 AM
Nymph's kiss is an interesting case, because unlike most effects of its kind it does not work retroactively. So, imagining the scenario where you lost it, lost skill points, and got the feat back... you would not get those points back, as Nymph's kiss explicitly only starts giving skill points for when you have it.
That said, I can only think of a few classes that can give it as a bonus feat, and in most cases there (losing access for no longer being Good) would lose you access to the feat anyway.

Darrin
2016-05-17, 10:54 AM
Lets say for example you're an eldritch knight, your bonus feat is weapon focus(unarmed), but for some reason you lose a martial weapon proficiency.

Unarmed strike is a simple weapon. Losing martial proficiencies wouldn't have any effect on your weapon focus. Likewise, dagger is a simple weapon. A better question would be, what happens to Weapon Focus: Greatsword if my character loses all martial proficiencies? Eldritch Knight may also be a bad example, because the class itself doesn't grant any additional proficiencies. If a Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight X managed to lose his Fighter level (via level drain or hugging a vampire or whatnot), he'd lose martial proficiencies, and he no longer qualifies for Weapon Focus. As far as Weapon Focus is concerned, whether or not he still qualifies for Eldritch Knight is a moot point.

The issue of whether you lose all your class abilities if you lose one of your prerequisites for a PrC is an unsettled issue of RAW, by which I mean we're still arguing about it after a decade or so with no clear consensus in sight. The best solution here is talk it out with the DM and decide what works best for your group.

atemu1234
2016-05-17, 08:38 PM

Part of why it is unreasonable to rule this way.

ManicOppressive
2016-05-17, 10:25 PM
Well, even by that ruling they don't disappear. You just don't get to use them until you qualify for the PrC again.

It's maybe not the most elegant solution, but it's one a lot of minmaxers very much asked for with the whole "this is how you heighten your spells and fake your feats to enter a PrC designed for level 10 at level 1."