PDA

View Full Version : Where's the rule for the CL cap?

SangoProduction
2016-05-17, 10:11 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm

I looked at the SRD for Caster Level, and it mentions adjusting the CL, but not about having it capped at character level. Can someone point me to that rule?

Bakkan
2016-05-17, 10:22 AM
There is no such rule. Caster level can be (much) greater than character level.

Necroticplague
2016-05-17, 10:29 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm

I looked at the SRD for Caster Level, and it mentions adjusting the CL, but not about having it capped at character level. Can someone point me to that rule?
There isn't one. In fact, several classes, monsters, and feats show it's intended to not be such. The biggest one being Practiceed Spellcaster, which gives +4 to CL, capped at your character level. If CL was already capped at character level, the need to cap Practiced Caster at your character level would be uneeded.

Gildedragon
2016-05-17, 10:46 AM
Bholder Mage, for example, has a CL = 2xBM level

Telonius
2016-05-17, 11:02 AM
To take an example from the PHB, the alignment domains from Cleric (Good, Evil, Law, and Chaos). Their granted powers are to cast spells at +1 caster level. If CL were capped at character level, the ability would be completely useless to any Cleric who didn't multiclass.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-17, 12:34 PM
In addition, two core PrCs, the Archmage and the Red Wizard, feature CL boosts on a full-casting PrC, with intended full-casting entry.

SangoProduction
2016-05-17, 01:38 PM
There isn't one. In fact, several classes, monsters, and feats show it's intended to not be such. The biggest one being Practiceed Spellcaster, which gives +4 to CL, capped at your character level. If CL was already capped at character level, the need to cap Practiced Caster at your character level would be uneeded.

Ah, so that's where the cap comes from thanks.

Sword-Geass
2016-05-17, 03:05 PM
Ah, so that's where the cap comes from thanks.

But that only applies to Practiced Spellcaster CL boost, nothing else.