PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Ring of X-Ray Vision Wording (3.5)

Chester
2016-05-17, 10:59 AM
From the SRD:

"Using the ring is physically exhausting, causing the wearer 1 point of Constitution damage per minute after the first 10 minutes of use in a single day."

I am of two minds here:
1. "Physically exhausting" is just flavorful wording.
2. "Physically exhausting" means exhausted.

Now, let's say a Warforged wears the ring.
If #1, he takes the Con damage.
If #2, since he cannot become exhausted, I would argue that he doesn't take the Con damage as a result.

Furthermore, if the Warforged has 5 levels in Warforged Juggernaut, would he not take the Con damage regardless of the ruling?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Bakkan
2016-05-17, 11:03 AM
"Exhausted" is an in-game term referring to a specific condition. "Exhausting" is not, and hence we must look to the second part of the sentence to know what the mechanical effects are. Since a warforged is not immune to Con damage, he will suffer the damage. Anyone immune to Con damage will not.

atemu1234
2016-05-17, 08:41 PM
"Exhausted" is an in-game term referring to a specific condition. "Exhausting" is not, and hence we must look to the second part of the sentence to know what the mechanical effects are. Since a warforged is not immune to Con damage, he will suffer the damage. Anyone immune to Con damage will not.

Or, we could get a binder involved in this, without much difficulty.

weckar
2016-05-17, 08:43 PM
Certainly flavor text. I find it hard to see it another way, as it is defined in the same sentence.

Necroticplague
2016-05-17, 09:26 PM
From the SRD:

"Using the ring is physically exhausting, causing the wearer 1 point of Constitution damage per minute after the first 10 minutes of use in a single day."

I am of two minds here:
1. "Physically exhausting" is just flavorful wording.
2. "Physically exhausting" means exhausted.

Now, let's say a Warforged wears the ring.
If #1, he takes the Con damage.
If #2, since he cannot become exhausted, I would argue that he doesn't take the Con damage as a result.

Furthermore, if the Warforged has 5 levels in Warforged Juggernaut, would he not take the Con damage regardless of the ruling?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

#1 is correct. "Physically exhausting=exhaustion" isn't in the rules. There are plenty of things that aren't physically exhausting that cause exhaustion (simply standing in the sun for the Troll Blooded, a lot of spells...) and some things that are physically exhausting that don't cause exhaustion (fighting for several minutes straight, taking massive amounts of nonlethal damage that doesn't knock you out.). Con damage and Exhaustion are completely separate conditions. Warforged are immune to the latter, but not the former. The ring never says you become Exhausted, and doesn't require you to be Exhausted in order to take the CON damage.

FrancisBean
2016-05-18, 12:59 AM

Wait, so an undead character can use a Ring of X-Ray Vision without time limits? I never noticed that little loophole. That also means a Dread Necromancer can get the benefit indirectly by handing the ring to a minion. I'll have to remember that one!

Bakkan
2016-05-18, 01:58 AM
Wait, so an undead character can use a Ring of X-Ray Vision without time limits? I never noticed that little loophole. That also means a Dread Necromancer can get the benefit indirectly by handing the ring to a minion. I'll have to remember that one!

Sure. Or a Binder currently binding Naberius (as atemu1234 mentioned), or a character with the Strongheart Vest soulmeld shaped.

Necroticplague
2016-05-18, 08:04 AM
Strongheart Vest can also be used.