PDA

View Full Version : Why Skullsy?

Sigbru
2007-06-26, 11:27 AM
What did Belkar did that make him betray him ?
What TV series was the Goblins talking ?
Why did Belkar took no damage ?
Why only the dead ones die ?
What is in the hatch ?

Stay turned and find out !

RocketBard
2007-06-26, 11:52 AM
First: Belkar was going to use him as a toilet

Second: The Sopranos

Third: Evasion

Personal Add-On: Use better grammar.

admerwill
2007-06-26, 11:52 AM
No..... SKULLSY!!!! you finaly got a name... now your Dead... Best improvrised magic item ever.. And a great sidekick to Belkar ... Why rich Why!!!!

TreesOfDeath
2007-06-26, 11:55 AM
A part of me saw this coming. I knew Rich wouldn't let Belkar keep that skull forever, I'm surprised he let him keep it this long. But inteligant magic items are cool

Sigbru
2007-06-26, 12:00 PM
First: Belkar was going to use him as a toilet

Second: The Sopranos

Third: Evasion

Personal Add-On: Use better grammar.

I'm from other country so sorry no can do :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

And how long does that Fear Beam last ? if that even exist

Woof
2007-06-26, 12:06 PM
What did Belkar did that make him betray him ?
What TV series was the Goblins talking ?
Why did Belkar took no damage ?
Why only the dead ones die ?
What is in the hatch ?

If you ask for reasons (or anything else but the subject of a sentence), you need "do" support in questions. Verbs also have to match the subject in number. And there are a few other points to keep in mind :smallsmile::

What did Belkar do (the auxiliary already carries the tense) that made Skullsy (better use the name so people know who you're talking about) betray him?

What TV series were the goblins (no capital letter here, only for proper names) talking about (missing a preposition there)?

Why did Belkar take (the auxiliary in a question takes the tense) ?

Why do only the dead ones die?

Dalenthas
2007-06-26, 12:19 PM
I'm from other country so sorry no can do :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

Of course you can't if you take that kind of defeatist attitude. What country are you from?

The Fear Beam lasts as long as the plot needs it to last. I doubt we'll ever be seeing those specific hobgoblins ever again, so it doesn't really matter. And if we do see them, there's no way to be sure its those hobgoblins and not some other group of nameless mooks.

Zherog
2007-06-26, 12:30 PM
What TV series were the goblins (no capital letter here, only for proper names) talking about (missing a preposition there)?

Of course, if you're going to correct his grammar, I could point out that you shouldn't end a sentence in a preposition.

:biggrin:

Imrahil
2007-06-26, 12:36 PM
And how long does that Fear Beam last?

Well, since the EoFaF casts it as a 15th level caster, and Fear lasts for 1 round/caster level, the Fear would last for 15 rounds, or roughly a minute and a half.

Woof
2007-06-26, 12:39 PM
Of course, if you're going to correct his grammar, I could point out that you shouldn't end a sentence in a preposition.

To quote Churchill: "This is the sort of pedantry up with which I will not put.” :smallbiggrin:

The preposition rule exists, but it's fairly complex. Because if you took a situation like the following, it wouldn't work: A mother opens the car door. Her daughter leaves the house and follows her mother to the car. The mother motions to the open car door and says "Get in!". Additionally, there's also the issue of phrasal verbs, which would make a sentence appear as if it was ending in a preposition even if it's not.

In this case, I'd put the preposition first in neutral or formal written language. But not in the kind of everyday conversations you have with friends, in chats or instant messaging.

alanajoli
2007-06-26, 12:40 PM

Ending sentences with prepositions is becoming more and more common in the linguistic shift (in large part due to Churchill; WSU put out a really neat discussion of the variations of his famous witticism here: http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/churchill.html).

Hurrah for grammar geekery!

Ronsian
2007-06-26, 12:51 PM
The way to solve all of this, is to talk like Thog! Thog no care about grammar.

Sir_Norbert
2007-06-26, 01:03 PM
The preposition rule exists, but it's fairly complex. Because if you took a situation like the following, it wouldn't work: A mother opens the car door. Her daughter leaves the house and follows her mother to the car. The mother motions to the open car door and says "Get in!". Additionally, there's also the issue of phrasal verbs, which would make a sentence appear as if it was ending in a preposition even if it's not.
In fact, the preposition "rule" does not exist and never did. It's entirely made up by overzealous grammarians who thought language ought to conform to nice neat rules, and since it's called a "preposition" (prae means "before") it damn well ought to come before something!

David Argall
2007-06-26, 01:14 PM
The particular grammarian in this case was a lover of Latin who reasoned that since you can't end a sentence with a preposition in Latin, you shouldn't do it in English either.
The logic of this has been judged deficient by many critics, particularly students who had to learn these rules, but Latin was the language you had to know to be deemed cultured, and he was quite influencial, so we had centuries of being told not to end sentences with prepositions.

Droodle
2007-06-26, 01:38 PM
Hey, folks, English is considered one of the hardest languages in the world for a reason. Give the guy a break. As a linguist, I know first hand just how hard it is to grasp the finer grammatical aspects of any language. For a non-native, Sigbru's English is actually quite good. With kind, understanding guidance, it will continue to improve.....but if he gets abused for his grammar snafu's he'll just stop posting, which isn't good for anyone. I, for one, want to see him continue to contribute to the forum.

Morty
2007-06-26, 01:51 PM
Hey, folks, English is considered one of the hardest languages in the world for a reason.

That's interesting, I actually always considered latin, french and german- I'm studiyng first two, I used to study the last- far more difficult to learn.

RocketBard
2007-06-26, 01:52 PM
You know, we ought to get back to answering the original questions before this thread gets locked.

Imrahil
2007-06-26, 01:56 PM
If you think Latin is hard to study, just try and take Ancient Greek. All the annoying rules, and a whole new alphabet to boot. However, studying the Greek first makes Latin considerably easier to pick up.

Sigbru
2007-06-26, 05:06 PM
Hey, folks, English is considered one of the hardest languages in the world for a reason. Give the guy a break. As a linguist, I know first hand just how hard it is to grasp the finer grammatical aspects of any language. For a non-native, Sigbru's English is actually quite good. With kind, understanding guidance, it will continue to improve.....but if he gets abused for his grammar snafu's he'll just stop posting, which isn't good for anyone. I, for one, want to see him continue to contribute to the forum.

Wow my grammar issue became the topic of the thread... i feel honored

I can read englidh just fine, but WRITE ? when i never took any classes(or never bother to learn until now), i learned all i know by playing video-games and reading webcomics :smallbiggrin:

I'm from Brasil by the way

Glome
2007-06-26, 05:09 PM
That's interesting, I actually always considered latin, french and german- I'm studiyng first two, I used to study the last- far more difficult to learn.

Well considering that the two major languages closest to English and French and German (I'm ignoring Frisian here since nobody speaks it), I don't see how English can be that much better. My understanding is that the basic rules to English aren't too difficult to learn, but there are so many exceptions to them makes the language hard to master. I'd say that German and French are harder, but that's easy for me to say since I'm a native English speaker. It probably partly depends on which language you start out in since some languages have parallel syntax to a certain extent such as Chinese and English.

mikeejimbo
2007-06-26, 05:22 PM
What is in the hatch ?

Bahahahaha, that's wonderful.

What I don't get is why Haley said he'd eventually have to give it up.

Snake-Aes
2007-06-26, 05:40 PM
"Skullsy" was more afraid of taking the crap, literally, than being destroyed. Well, there was some dignity left then

Try Japanese's/Mandarim's vocabulary or Portuguese's syntax.

Jagg
2007-06-26, 05:40 PM
Gah!

I strayed into a thread of TEACHERS!

Back foul creatures, back I say. Stay away, I don't care about grammer.,;: Spellink, punktewation etc etc etc.

Haven't you listened to Pink Floyd's the wall? Don't bash the poor english-as-a-second-language student.

Morty
2007-06-26, 05:59 PM

Hey hey hey. I just said they were more difficult than English, and quite honestly it's probably because I started learning Engilsh way earlier. But I have no doubts there are more difficult languages.

Sigbru
2007-06-26, 06:24 PM
"

Portuguese is quite easy, the crap is only the Portuguese Test's questions that are extremely difficult and only talk about syntax, which is useless since most of us, dump people, talk wrong in our on language

Back in the topic, why Belakr had to give up of EoFaF ? at least Harley said so

stabbybelkar
2007-06-26, 07:32 PM
the tv show is the sorpranno's which ended at a really dramatic bit and then cut to the creddets in order to have a never-ending discustion over what happens next, if Rich does this I swear I will kill him

Erk
2007-06-26, 07:57 PM
He had to give up the skull because it was becoming an overpowered magical item: a limitless-use wand of fireball and cause fear. Also, the humour could only last so long.

FdL
2007-06-26, 08:07 PM

Nah, that's purely stylistic IIRC. It's called preposition stranding (at least in generative grammar).

Krytha
2007-06-26, 08:15 PM
Why Skullsy? Because Belkar is a jerk undeserving of faithful, (fearful) powerful, magical sidekicks and his demeanor is what made EoFaF assert his rights as a sentient speech-capable skull. Go Skullsy! Fly! Fly! Belkar will rot in the flames of perdition!

Oh. And of course you find portugese to be simple. You're from Brazil.

Cyrillic is my dream.

EdgarVerona
2007-06-26, 11:56 PM
Dang, I think I'll miss the skull. :smallfrown:

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!
I've grown accustomed to his skull.
It almost makes the comic begin.
I've become accustomed to the tear
in his eye when he quivers in fear.
His sighs, his frowns, his ups, his downs
A second nature to me now:
like breathing out, and breathing in.
Belkar was serenely independent and content before they met;
Surely he can be that way again -
- and yet -
I've grown accustomed to the sight of
fireballs in the air...
accustomed
to his
skull.

RIP Skullsy, I'll pour one out for ya.

;)

holywhippet
2007-06-27, 12:55 AM
I wonder if Haley was breaking the fourth wall when she was talking about Belkar not keeping the EoFaF? I can't see why he couldn't keep it from an in world point of view, but from a plot point of view you could assume he wouldn't keep it forever.

mikeejimbo
2007-06-27, 04:31 PM
He had to give up the skull because it was becoming an overpowered magical item: a limitless-use wand of fireball and cause fear. Also, the humour could only last so long.

I understand the plot and game reasons he would have to give it up, but that doesn't explain what reason there would be that would make sense from a character point of view. Like, it's illegal to use a sentient being as a weapon, or something. But we didn't even get that.

Kish
2007-06-27, 07:08 PM
I wonder if Haley was breaking the fourth wall when she was talking about Belkar not keeping the EoFaF?

Fourth wall? In the Order of the Stick? Where?

Kreistor
2007-06-27, 08:59 PM
To the OP:

Belkar would have had to give up the Skull because Durkon would have had a major problem with it. See this comic: 16 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0016.html)

If it came down to it, the group would kick Belkar out and keep Durkon rather than watch Durkon walk out because they let Belkar keep his pet undead.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2007-06-27, 09:06 PM
Why belkar didn't get hurt he had an invisible wizard in front of him

evileeyore
2007-06-27, 09:06 PM
I wonder if Haley was breaking the fourth wall when she was talking about Belkar not keeping the EoFaF? I can't see why he couldn't keep it from an in world point of view, but from a plot point of view you could assume he wouldn't keep it forever.Eh? It is an evil creature, even "more so" than Belkar.

There is no way Roy or Durkon would have allowed Belkar to keep his new pet Skullsy.

WhammeWhamme
2007-06-27, 09:31 PM
Er, Belkar is more evil than Skullsy. Skullsy was just a wimp.

outlander
2007-06-27, 09:50 PM
Eh? It is an evil creature, even "more so" than Belkar.

There is no way Roy or Durkon would have allowed Belkar to keep his new pet Skullsy.

Belkar could have said "Fine, toss me out, and take this MoJ off so I can leave."

BTW, forcing belkar to stay with the MoJ would be like slavery, and isn't slavery a no no for LG guys???

holywhippet
2007-06-27, 10:30 PM
Belkar could have said "Fine, toss me out, and take this MoJ off so I can leave."

BTW, forcing belkar to stay with the MoJ would be like slavery, and isn't slavery a no no for LG guys???

Is forcing a convict to work on a road gang or make number plates a form of slavery? No, it's part of their sentence.