PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next melee attack spell help requested

TundraBuccaneer
2016-05-17, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure how to rate or balance this spell,
What I mainly want with it is that a dragon bloodline sorcerer can go berserk and come up close and personal to an enemies face and attack it with its favoured element in hand.
Although I can also see a wizard use dragon knowledge to use this, and an warlock using an stronger magical creatures powers doesn't sound off either.

Dragons pride
2nd-level (Evocation)

Components: V, M(a piece of dragon like a scale, tooth, bone fragment. worth atleast 50gp)
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Self
Duration: 1 minute (concentration)

You let out an audible draconic roar, then your hands get infused with elemental magic that belongs to the type of dragon that the belongs to piece (so for green dragon scale it would be poison). when you cast the spell you can make a melee spell attack. You may do the same as an action on any subsequent turns for the spell's duration. The spell attack deals 1d6 slashing and 1d6 of the previously determined damage type. Whenever you use an action to make such an attack you can use you bonus action to make a similar attack with you other hand. Furthermore enemies hit be these attacks can't make you lose concentration until the end of your next turn.

At Higher Levels.When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3th level or higher. You add 1d6 to the non-slashing damage of the spell for each level higher than 2nd level.

1. Given that I mainly want this for dragon sorcerers it could be that you would be allowed to use your own dragon scales for materials component. But I'm wondering if this would be fair.

2. Also to determine the amount of damage I with the dmg spell homebrewamagic which said that al lvl 2 spell that targets multiple targets is 4d6. But it only counts if you use both you action and bonus action.

3. I'm not sure if the damage is to strong because it is multi-use but is is less damage than scorching ray in a turn. But it is usable in more turns, but then again it uses your action and bonus action to gain the full effect.

4. Is it to harsh to grant the concentration protection?. Because I added it so you could effectively use it in melee but a ranged enemy would still be able to brake it.

Also the price of the material component is needed so that you cant have access to every damage type from the start. It is more of a show of stature that you have slain a dragon and now can wield its power as-well if you gain the component your self.

Thank you for reading, have a nice day.

Final Hyena
2016-05-17, 04:27 PM
I don't think it's initially OP, but it scales rather strongly. with the exception of bonkers level 9 stuff it holds up rather well. I suspect you've balanced it at an extra 2d6 per slot as that's what scorching ray gets, but I think that's a bit much.

I'm also not keen on the material component because;
Drake; I want to buy a dragon tooth.
Shopkeeper; 2,500 gp please.
Drake; WHAT? That's extortion!
Shopkeeper; Dragon parts are relics, even if sales weren't restricted they would be expensive.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-17, 05:16 PM
I'm not sure how to rate or balance this spell,
What I mainly want with it is that a dragon bloodline sorcerer can go berserk and come up close and personal to an enemies face and attack it with its favoured element in hand.
Although I can also see a wizard use dragon knowledge to use this, and an warlock using an stronger magical creatures powers doesn't sound off either.

Dragons pride
2nd-level (Evocation)

Components: V, M(a piece of dragon like a scale, tooth, bone fragment. worth what ever your DM tells you)
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Self
Duration: 1 minute (concentration)

You let out an audible draconic roar, then your hands get covert in the damage type that belongs to the dragon piece (so for green dragon scale it would be poison). from now and when you cast the spell you can use your action to make a melee spell attack dealing 1d6 slashing and 1d6 of the previously determined damage type. When you have use your action to make such attack you can use you bonus action to make a similar attack with you other hand. Furthermore enemies hit be these attacks can't make you lose concentration of this spell until the end of your next turn.

At Higher Levels.When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3th level or higher. You add 1d6 to the non-slashing damage of the spell for each level higher than 2nd level.

I reckon the damage is okay.

Final Hyena is right about the material component cost; if it has a cost, you as the spell designer have to specify it. I'd put this one at something like 50gp; a dragon tooth or scale seems like it would cost about that, and it matches the conceptually-similar Chromatic Orb.

Does anyone else disagree with the school? I think this feels more like a transmutation, like Magic Weapon.

Grammar/semantics nitpicks:
"Your hands get covered..." - 'covert' means 'undercover' or 'secretive'
I wouldn't say you 'cover something in a damage type'. It's too meta. Better to phrase it as "your hands are infused with elemental magic" and then later "1d6 slashing damage and 1d6 damage of a type corresponding to that of the spell's focus." And maybe list them out for speed/clarity.
"From now and when you cast the spell" is not good English. I'd re-structure to: "when you cast the spell you can make a melee spell attack... You may do the same as an action on any subsequent turns for the spell's duration"
"When you have used an action..." though again I'd rephrase that to "whenever you use an action to make such an attack"
I'd drop the "of this spell" from the last line. It's clumsy and unnecessary.

Final Hyena
2016-05-17, 05:31 PM
Does anyone else disagree with the school? I think this feels more like a transmutation, like Magic Weapon.
I think an argument could be made for conjuration, transmutation or possibly evocation.
The obviously similar Elemental Weapon supports transmutation, however it really depends on how you visualise the spell. You are coating your hands in for e.g. fire. This can be seen as you summoning a fiery claw over your own hand. Alternatively you could be transmuting your hand into this fiery claw. Or you unleash a fiery claw with every swing.

From the current wording (of which I assume it was "your hands get covered in") then conjuration feels more appropriate to me, but it's not a big deal.

TundraBuccaneer
2016-05-18, 03:06 AM
Thank you for your in put. I have added the GP cost as requested, I do really appreciate the Grammar/semantics nitpicks it needs to be clear and pleasant to read so help like that is welcome.

About the school I do agree that transmutation probably is beter. But I feel an Evocation wizard should have more fun with it.

An argument can be made that RAW Evocation spells: manipulate magical energy to produce a desired effect. Which is very vague because this would mean that every spell is evocation because you want a spell to do a certain thing. In this cast to bitch-slap someone with a dragon-breath.
But even than would transmutation would probably be beter. Because it enhances a specific effect in this case the elemental power of a dragon scale,tooth ,etc.

Wilko
2016-05-18, 05:34 AM
I'd say go with Transmutation and word it as

You let out an audible draconic roar, as you do your hands are transformed into dragon like claws imbued with the energies of dragon from whom the fragment came. (so for green dragon scale it would be poison).

Explains the slashing damage and the elemental.