PDA

View Full Version : Build advice

Silex
2016-05-17, 03:30 PM
As the title implies, I am looking to the community for some advice. This is my first day as a member, so please forgive me if this has been previously discussed. I am looking to build a Dread Necromancer, Ur Priest, Bone Knight for a 3.5 campaign. The evil requirements have been removed from Ur Priest and the Spell Focus feat requirement, (although I still need the feat itself) to enter the PrC. No ToM/ToB, or Book of Dragon Magic allowed. No evil, allowed either. Dragon Mag material must be cleared through the DM, as well as for any templates. Not planning on going Necropolitin, but am taking TTS as one of my first level feats. Flaws are allowed. Would like to use these 3 classes, as well as Mother Cyst as a first level feat. Starting at 7th level, and any advice with this build are welcomed! Thanks in advance :)

weckar
2016-05-17, 05:54 PM
First thing I'd have to ask is what DN is doing in this build idea at all. Arcane Spell failure will start playing a major role once you hit Bone Knight, after all.
I'm also having trouble seeing how you are justifying not being evil, when basically every single choice you propose - while not all outright evil - are dangling over the cliff so much that the combined load of all of them would be defying plot gravity.
All that, unless Undeath and dealing with corpses is not by definition evil in this campaign. In which case... Wait, why were you going DN again?

Silex
2016-05-17, 06:18 PM
First thing I'd have to ask is what DN is doing in this build idea at all. Arcane Spell failure will start playing a major role once you hit Bone Knight, after all.
I'm also having trouble seeing how you are justifying not being evil, when basically every single choice you propose - while not all outright evil - are dangling over the cliff so much that the combined load of all of them would be defying plot gravity.
All that, unless Undeath and dealing with corpses is not by definition evil in this campaign. In which case... Wait, why were you going DN again?

Simple: I enjoy the class, the flavor fits and it does have decent class abilities.

Also, it is entirely possible to be right on the cusp, without actually being evil. I would like to play it as evil, but the DM will not allow evil PCs, hence the removal of evil prerequisites for ur priest entry.

Since I am being prohibited from playing this as such, the character is teetering on the cusp of CN/CE.

If you have suggestions, I am open to them. That is after all, why I created this thread lol

weckar
2016-05-17, 06:39 PM
Okay then :)
The first thing to consider is that you will want to go through the DN spell list and pick out all the long-duration spells and vocal-only spells. From there, see you have enough to fill a repertoire or whether picking up Still Spell as a feat could be worth it. Bone armor being effectively plate makes the risk of casting in it otherwise just too great.
You would also need to think about how far you want to take any of these classes, and what abilities you want to get from them. Ur-Priest entry through Dread Necro alone, while not impossible, does require taking Know(planes) cross-class and won't have the required Fort saves until after 9th level, so keep that in mind.

The banning of ToM is rather too bad, as Binder provides a near-ideal chassis to put an Ur-Priest on. As it stands, I would suggest at the very least tacking on a high-Fort class to make entry into Ur possible by lv 6. From there a single level in Ur and a full progression of Bone Knight gives you the best of both worlds in terms of progression (unless you feel you really need that DSR).

Furthermore, not to question your alignment further (as you can play it however you and your DM agree upon of course), but seeing any "Knight" with a chaotic alignment raises some personal alarm bells with me. Unless you're somesort of Ronin of course :smallsmile:

Silex
2016-05-17, 07:56 PM
Okay then :)
The first thing to consider is that you will want to go through the DN spell list and pick out all the long-duration spells and vocal-only spells. From there, see you have enough to fill a repertoire or whether picking up Still Spell as a feat could be worth it. Bone armor being effectively plate makes the risk of casting in it otherwise just too great.
You would also need to think about how far you want to take any of these classes, and what abilities you want to get from them. Ur-Priest entry through Dread Necro alone, while not impossible, does require taking Know(planes) cross-class and won't have the required Fort saves until after 9th level, so keep that in mind.

The banning of ToM is rather too bad, as Binder provides a near-ideal chassis to put an Ur-Priest on. As it stands, I would suggest at the very least tacking on a high-Fort class to make entry into Ur possible by lv 6. From there a single level in Ur and a full progression of Bone Knight gives you the best of both worlds in terms of progression (unless you feel you really need that DSR).

Furthermore, not to question your alignment further (as you can play it however you and your DM agree upon of course), but seeing any "Knight" with a chaotic alignment raises some personal alarm bells with me. Unless you're somesort of Ronin of course :smallsmile:

Right, and I was thinking about the issue of no entry before 9th level the way it stands, so I will have to do something to allow earlier access.

As for the alignment, yes, I was going with someone who is off their rocker quite a bit, to explain the chaotic nature.