PDA

View Full Version : SCAG Half Elf Variant Help (What class for half drow?)

bunnynoah
2016-05-17, 04:32 PM
As the title says, which class would be good for SCAG's half elf drow variant? I'm guessing warlock?

TundraBuccaneer
2016-05-17, 05:00 PM
Warlock, sorcerer, bard, paladin if you mean that you want more charisma spells.
After that every character that would be fun with charisma rogue or fighter, maybe with charlatan background.
typing that remember to make a character, a personality not a class. You can stick a class to a character a lot easier that a character to a class. So how does your half-drow use its spells, how did he/she train and master them, how does the world look at you character.

Hope this helps, have fun.

Specter
2016-05-17, 06:22 PM
I wouldn't mind too much about what's optimal first, but a concept first. I would make a guy like this a drow hunter, avenging his traumatized human mother. For that concept, I'd go for Rogue, because Faerie Fire would give me advantage and advantage rules for rogues. Maybe a few ranger levels to explore the Underdark better?

Misterwhisper
2016-05-17, 06:34 PM
How about a half drow, Rogue Swashbuckler. Pirate background.

Does not have to have daylight blindness like other drow.
Dancing Lights on a boat is always nice.
Charisma and Dex are both great for a rogue.
Swashbuckler is a VERY solid path for a rogue.
Casting Darkness on another ship can be devastating, just before your raid or as they are going to try.
Pirate is a rather sweet background.
Also, it would be a blast to play.

Corran
2016-05-17, 07:15 PM
Casting Darkness on another ship can be devastating, just before your raid or as they are going to try.

I would say that the exact opposite (ie casting darkness on your ship) would be what you should do. RAW darkness allows you to see outside of it (if you are inside it). Consider a single source of light creating a small radius of visible area, to an otherwise completely lightless area. People outside the lightened area can see inside it, but people in the lightened area cannot see outside of it as it is pitch dark. Eh, a darkness spell cast during the day is supposed to work like the exact opposite of the above scenario, with the extra condition that it ''cancels'' darkvision too.

Waazraath
2016-05-18, 01:40 AM
RAW darkness allows you to see outside of it (if you are inside it).

I don't think I get this.

djreynolds
2016-05-18, 01:49 AM
Paladin ranger. Why? Its looks cool. You could be the defender of underdark defectors

Arkhios
2016-05-18, 09:02 AM
Warlock, sorcerer, bard, paladin if you mean that you want more charisma spells.
After that every character that would be fun with charisma rogue or fighter, maybe with charlatan background.
typing that remember to make a character, a personality not a class. You can stick a class to a character a lot easier that a character to a class. So how does your half-drow use its spells, how did he/she train and master them, how does the world look at you character.

Hope this helps, have fun.

I'm not sure that's how to play that factor. To my understanding Racial spells are something you've always had; as in "it's in your blood".

Safety Sword
2016-05-19, 12:20 AM
I would say that the exact opposite (ie casting darkness on your ship) would be what you should do. RAW darkness allows you to see outside of it (if you are inside it). Consider a single source of light creating a small radius of visible area, to an otherwise completely lightless area. People outside the lightened area can see inside it, but people in the lightened area cannot see outside of it as it is pitch dark. Eh, a darkness spell cast during the day is supposed to work like the exact opposite of the above scenario, with the extra condition that it ''cancels'' darkvision too.

Unless you have a way of seeing through magical darkness, casting Darkness on yourself effectively makes you have the blinded condition.

Sure, it also obscures you from people outside of the Darkness being able to see you, but that changes nothing for you.

As a bonus though, you can attack the darkness.

Corran
2016-05-19, 01:13 AM
Unless you have a way of seeing through magical darkness, casting Darkness on yourself effectively makes you have the blinded condition.

Sure, it also obscures you from people outside of the Darkness being able to see you, but that changes nothing for you.
As written in the phb, yes, that is the way to play it. But it didnt make sense, as with these rules a character without darkvision wasnt able to see the light of a torch that is more than 40 feet away from said character, dunring night time. That is why it has be errata'd. What was changed, was that a creature suffers from the blinded condition only with respect to where he is trying to look, for example if a character without darkvision tries to look outside the radius of a burning torch, then he is considered effectively blind in what concenrs that area (attacks targeting that area or incoming attacks from that area).

As a bonus though, you can attack the darkness.
Hahaha, aye, casting magic missile!:smallbiggrin:

GraakosGraakos
2016-05-19, 11:11 AM
Underdark Druid. Transform into spiders and pallid, albino versions of regular animals.

RickAllison
2016-05-19, 11:55 AM
Underdark Druid. Transform into spiders and pallid, albino versions of regular animals.

I did that with Svirnefblin. The Steeder forms are great for fast transport with Boots of Striding and Springing and/or Jump!

Safety Sword
2016-05-19, 04:48 PM
As written in the phb, yes, that is the way to play it. But it didnt make sense, as with these rules a character without darkvision wasnt able to see the light of a torch that is more than 40 feet away from said character, dunring night time. That is why it has be errata'd. What was changed, was that a creature suffers from the blinded condition only with respect to where he is trying to look, for example if a character without darkvision tries to look outside the radius of a burning torch, then he is considered effectively blind in what concenrs that area (attacks targeting that area or incoming attacks from that area).

Hahaha, aye, casting magic missile!:smallbiggrin:

I think I might have been playing it this way all along.

I still think that if you're casting Darkness on yourself, you're in the dark and you shouldn't be able to see out of it. Otherwise, what's the point of Devil's Sight?

RickAllison
2016-05-19, 05:53 PM
I think I might have been playing it this way all along.

I still think that if you're casting Darkness on yourself, you're in the dark and you shouldn't be able to see out of it. Otherwise, what's the point of Devil's Sight?

Agreed, I think that the text of the spell precludes the normal rule:

A creature with darkvision can’t see through this darkness, and nonmagical light can’t illuminate it.

It is not that a creature with dark vision can't see into it, but that they can't see through it, and so can't see what is on the other side.

Safety Sword
2016-05-22, 05:59 AM
Agreed, I think that the text of the spell precludes the normal rule:

It is not that a creature with dark vision can't see into it, but that they can't see through it, and so can't see what is on the other side.

Also how I play it. I am still unclear on what Corran is trying to explain.

I think of Darkness as an area of black that pops into existence. Light can't get into or through the area of the spell.