PDA

View Full Version : Guessing Move the gate?

Zaclock
2016-05-17, 06:43 PM
I'm re-reading War & XPs on the PDF, and I noticed for the first time that, in #411, Belkar's exclamation at realizing he would never get to kill Windstriker was a deus ex to interrupt an important revelation by Hinjo about the risks of opening the [??] when moving a gate.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed when #830 came out and Redcloak revealed his plan of moving the gate, but I wasn't participating in the forum back then. Has anyone guessed what Hinjo was about to say? Is it something obvious as "opening the rift", or could it be something else more unexpected? Did Hinjo transfer this knowledge to the Order after #411 (most likely off-panel)?

Gift Jeraff
2016-05-17, 07:05 PM
The gem is an additional seal for Soon's Gate:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?212022-What-was-Soon-Holding-(Possibly-Spoilerish)/page2&p=11686931#post11686931

Kish
2016-05-17, 07:27 PM
Pretty sure it's the obvious answer.

Zaclock
2016-05-17, 08:01 PM
The gem is an additional seal for Soon's Gate:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?212022-What-was-Soon-Holding-(Possibly-Spoilerish)/page2&p=11686931#post11686931

Thank you!

Ron Miel
2016-05-18, 10:35 AM
... an important revelation by Hinjo about the risks of opening the [??] when moving a gate.

No, Hinjo is talking about moving the gem.

Roy: Couldn't we just move the gem?

Hinjo: Move it and you risk opening the ...

It's obvious in context that "it" refers to the gem. And the risk is, move the gem and you might open the gate.

NerdyKris
2016-05-18, 12:31 PM
Belkar's exclamation at realizing he would never get to kill Windstriker was a deus ex to interrupt an important revelation by Hinjo about the risks of opening the [??] when moving a gate.

Interrupting someone is not in any way, shape, or form what a Deus Ex Machina is.

It's simply a punchline. It's very clear from what's already been said that the last word is "gate" or "rift".

archon_huskie
2016-05-19, 12:08 PM
I believe I have the definition of a Deus Ex Machina (God by the Machine) in my sig.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-19, 01:29 PM
Huh. Redcloak and Xykon's ritual actually does move a gate. Are the heroes going to be able to use that in some way to move the gate to another plane? I'd imagine that shifting the gates to the Snarl World would block off the rifts.

1. Rebuild gates around existing rifts.

2. Cast ritual to shift each gate in succession to the Snarl World.

3. All contact between the two is ended. World is saved.

Kantaki
2016-05-19, 01:36 PM
Huh. Redcloak and Xykon's ritual actually does move a gate. Are the heroes going to be able to use that in some way to move the gate to another plane? I'd imagine that shifting the gates to the Snarl World would block off the rifts.

That sounds somewhat difficult. Headache inducingly so.
I mean you would basically try to fix a leaking aquarium by moving the leak(s) inside the aquarium, making it leak into itself.
I'm not sure if that would work.

Bulldog Psion
2016-05-19, 01:57 PM
I mean you would basically try to fix a leaking aquarium by moving the leak(s) inside the aquarium, making it leak into itself.
I'm not sure if that would work.

Well, you could also just shift them all to some other world or plane entirely.

All I'm saying is that Redcloak's spell actually has the ability to remove a gate/rift combination from one world and put it on another, raising the possibility of erasing the rifts from Stickworld completely.

It's a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot, but I'm putting you guys on warning, if I'm right, I'm going to link back to these posts and gloat when the reveal occurs. :smallbiggrin:

Jasdoif
2016-05-19, 02:00 PM
I'm not sure if that would work.Well, it'd stop being a leak at that point; to be a leak there needs to be an interior and exterior on both sides, for interior contents to escape to the exterior. A rupture with the interior on both sides is simply an area for pressure equalization. It's not like constructing a Klein bottle.

The bigger question is whether pressure equalization is what created the leaks in the first place....If so, sending all the leaks inside is just as likely to cause new leaks to form.

Kantaki
2016-05-19, 02:11 PM
Well, you could also just shift them all to some other world or plane entirely.

All I'm saying is that Redcloak's spell actually has the ability to remove a gate/rift combination from one world and put it on another, raising the possibility of erasing the rifts from Stickworld completely.

It's a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong shot, but I'm putting you guys on warning, if I'm right, I'm going to link back to these posts and gloat when the reveal occurs. :smallbiggrin:

Eh, moving the Gates to some empty-ish plane makes sense. That's the whole point of Reddy’s little trick. Well, minus the empty part.
It's more the location that seemed odd.
Sure, shifting them to the Snarl’s prison might work- we are talking about magic after all.
It's just... the Gates are basically (worm)holes into the Snarl’ cell. And while moving the exit points outside the prison makes some degree of sense to me moving them inside, where they originate, gives me headaches.

Dragonfan
2016-05-19, 02:26 PM

Unfortunately, only the high priest of the Dark One knows the ritual.

Kantaki
2016-05-19, 02:37 PM
Unfortunately, only the high priest of the Dark One knows the ritual.

Well, moving the gate would most likely be a long-term goal after a lot of research based on Xykon’s part of the spell plus any other bits of information they can get. From the MitD for example.

Darth Paul
2016-05-19, 10:42 PM
Eh, moving the Gates to some empty-ish plane makes sense. That's the whole point of Reddy’s little trick. Well, minus the empty part.
It's more the location that seemed odd.
Sure, shifting them to the Snarl’s prison might work- we are talking about magic after all.
It's just... the Gates are basically (worm)holes into the Snarl’ cell. And while moving the exit points outside the prison makes some degree of sense to me moving them inside, where they originate, gives me headaches.

It's just barely possible, if you use an inverse antimatter reaction to create a static warp shell!!

(Wait, what...? Oh. Sorry. I'm watching Star Trek: The Next Generation as I forum surf, it's confusing.)

I believe I have the definition of a Deus Ex Machina (God by the Machine) in my sig.

About that signature- did they ever solve the plot in those Twilight novels?

NerdyKris
2016-05-20, 10:11 AM
The ritual

has the potential to open the gates and unleash the Snarl, according to Redcloak.

It's doubtful that the Order would use that method, given the extreme risk involved. On top of that, who is going to be in control of the gate? You'd basically end up with one god or pantheon gaining the ultimate weapon to use against everyone else. None of them would agree to that. And finally, the rifts would still exist on that plane, waiting for anyone to pop on over and release the Snarl all over again. It doesn't solve the problem at all. It would be like moving a nuclear bomb over to the next house. It's still a threat to you, and now you can't keep an eye on it.