PDA

View Full Version : Psions In D&D 3.5

Bartmanhomer
2016-05-17, 07:38 PM
I know a little info about psychics or psions In D&D 3.5. What's the purpose of a psion? How do they work? What are their powers? How can they go to normal into an epic psion? Also what'a your opinions on psi on anyway.

martixy
2016-05-17, 09:02 PM
One, I love psions.

Psionics is an alternative magic system in the game.
It lives along Vancian magic(wizards and sorcerers), Truename magic, incarnum, binders, martial adepts and whatever else I'm missing.

Psions are specifically that system's equivalent to wizards.
They get the most known powers, the poor BAB and hit die and something akin to a familiar - their psicrystals.
In fact a great many psionic powers are modeled after or flat out directly mimic existing spells.

Mechanically instead of spell slots they use Power Points.
Ultimately it is a more flexible system, however it does have a few quirks when compared to Vancian magic.

For example, while a vancian caster automatically has his low level spells get better as his caster level increases, psions have to spend power points to augment them to that level. Essentially if they want to cast "psionic magic missile" at caster level 10 they have to expend what is essentially the equivalence of a level 5 spell slot.

Psionics also introduces the concept of psionic focus, which is used to fuel metapsionic feats, in addition to other non-general benefits.

The XPH has rules for epic psions btw. The major point is that they don't gain any power points for class levels beyond 20.

Bartmanhomer
2016-05-17, 09:10 PM
So psionic is really magic?

Silva Stormrage
2016-05-17, 09:15 PM
One, I love psions.

Psionics is an alternative magic system in the game.
It lives along Vancian magic(wizards and sorcerers), Truename magic, incarnum, binders, martial adepts and whatever else I'm missing.

Psions are specifically that system's equivalent to wizards.
They get the most known powers, the poor BAB and hit die and something akin to a familiar - their psicrystals.
In fact a great many psionic powers are modeled after or flat out directly mimic existing spells.

Mechanically instead of spell slots they use Power Points.
Ultimately it is a more flexible system, however it does have a few quirks when compared to Vancian magic.

For example, while a vancian caster automatically has his low level spells get better as his caster level increases, psions have to spend power points to augment them to that level. Essentially if they want to cast "psionic magic missile" at caster level 10 they have to expend what is essentially the equivalence of a level 5 spell slot.

Psionics also introduces the concept of psionic focus, which is used to fuel metapsionic feats, in addition to other non-general benefits.

The XPH has rules for epic psions btw. The major point is that they don't gain any power points for class levels beyond 20.

Correction: Erudite's are that system's equivalent to wizard (They are from complete psionic). Psions are more in line with Sorcerers with Wilder's being super super power restricted sorcerers.

Agreed with the rest of the post though. Psionics are quite balanced and excluding a few odd tricks they are almost universally more balanced than regular casters such as wizards, clerics or druids. And spellcasters have a LOT more dirty tricks that are more gamebreaking.

One thing to note that is important that a lot of people miss: YOU CAN NOT SPEND MORE POWER POINTS ON A SINGLE POWER THAN YOUR MANIFESTER LEVEL.

You can't spend 50 power points on a single damaging power to get 50d6 damage unless you were level 50.

Edit: Psionics are a variant form of magic really yes. There are even transparency rules so that dispel magic = dispel psionics and vice versa and power resistance = spell resistance etc etc.

Bartmanhomer
2016-05-17, 09:27 PM
Interesting. I assume their profession skills (psychic) could help them earn some gild pieces as well right?

Willie the Duck
2016-05-17, 10:48 PM
There is no specific listing for any profession: psychic skill, but it's just as easy to assume that as it is for a non-psionic PC to have the skill Profession: fortune teller.

To add to what has been said, psionics are basically just another variation on the D&D magic system. This one using a spellpoint system and the listed spells having a general "psychic powers" theme (along with crystals. lots and lots pf crystals).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-17, 11:03 PM
At first glance, yes, psionics is very similar to Vancian, but there're a lot of unique effects that psionics can do that other systems cannot. For instance, psionics can manipulate the action economy in ways nobody else can, and it's definitely better at blasting out of the box than wizards and sorcerers are.

KillingAScarab
2016-05-18, 12:28 AM
Correction: Erudite's are that system's equivalent to wizard (They are from complete psionic). Psions are more in line with Sorcerers with Wilder's being super super power restricted sorcerers.Complete Psionic lists the erudite class as a variant of the psion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm) class. One of the largest differences would be that every psion must specialize in a discipline (there are powers which only psions who specialize in that discipline may learn unhindered), while an erudite does not specialize in a discipline. In that sense, both are closer to wizards, while wilder (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/wilder.htm) is closer to sorcerer. Unlike the wilder (or a psion of a different discipline), an erudite has some additional ways to learn discipline powers which are normally off-limits.

An erudite can learn discipline powers only by directly learning a power from another's repertoire, learning it from a power stone, or taking the Expanded Knowledge feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#expandedKnowledge) (EPH 46). In any case, an erudite can learn a discipline-only power only if it is up to 1 level lower than the highest level power he can manifest.

Erudite is further distinguished from psion in that they may know a potentially unlimited number of powers, but may only manifest a set number per day. This, I suspect, is where Silva Stormrage considers them closer to a wizard than a normal psion. When you consider how may fewer powers that means you can use, it strikes me as closer to a sorcerer. Psionic powers are considered more flexible than spells, though, so there's an argument either way.

At first glance, yes, psionics is very similar to Vancian, but there're a lot of unique effects that psionics can do that other systems cannot. For instance, psionics can manipulate the action economy in ways nobody else can...Unless you are a soulknife (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm). The consensus seems to be that they are underwhelming. Personally, I have yet to try psionics, but I would love to try the soulbow prestige class, especially with the advice from RMS Oceanic's handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?275200-The-Handbook-to-Kill-a-Yak-With-MIND-BULLETS!-I-mean-Arrows!-Soulbow-WIP). Either that, or the Incarnum (another variant magic system detailed in Magic of Incarnum) re-flavoring in this homebrew class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156441-3-5-War-Soul-%28Soulborn-Soulknife%29).

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-05-18, 12:47 AM
Unless you are a soulknife (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/soulknife.htm). The consensus seems to be that they are underwhelming.Meh. Soulknives aren't actually psionic, as such. They get access to some psionic feats, but that's as far as it goes. Soulknives are even worse at being psionic than soulborns are at being incarnum wielders, and they're considered stupidly bad.

Divide by Zero
2016-05-18, 12:48 AM

Not exactly. The system is very similar, and most games have any effects that affect magic also affect psionics and vice versa (for example, using dispel magic to dispel a psionic effect) - this is known as psionics-magic transparency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#psionicsMagicTransparenc y). However, they are technically different - in most settings, psionic and magic characters will both get offended (or worse) if you compare them to each other.

Necroticplague
2016-05-18, 01:05 AM
I know a little info about psychics or psions In D&D 3.5. What's the purpose of a psion? How do they work? What are their powers? How can they go to normal into an epic psion? Also what'a your opinions on psi on anyway.

They're on the SRD, if you care look for them.

To play a character with abilities that seem a bit more grounded in most fantasy.

Basically, the same as any caster almost from any video game in the past 20 years, except instead of learning slightly more powerful version of weak spells (i.e, fire->fire->firaga), you just pump enough energy into the lower level one until it acts stronger. This is a process called augmenting.

The same way any other character does: by taking more than 20 levels of the base class. Not sure why that would be special.

They're a bit powerful compared to mundanes, but most of it's more balanced than the standard vancian classes. The mechanics are honestly what I wish normal spellcasting was.

gorfnab
2016-05-18, 02:20 AM
That depends on the DM and if they are using the psionics-magic transparency ruling mentioned in Divide by Zero's post.

I like to think of psionics as a mana point system. A psionic character has a finite amount of mana (power points) they can use in a day to fuel their "spells" (powers).

As far as builiding a Psion character I recommend this handbook: The New, Virtually No-Nonsense Guide to Psions (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=0if2igklogsk8cgu3av15i9i20&topic=5343)

SaintNick
2016-05-18, 02:59 AM
Another difference that appears to have been missed is that Psionics is a purely mental action. Manifesting a power does not require any verbal or somatic components. So while being bound and gagged could prevent a wizard from casting spells, it imposes no such restrictions on a Psion.

A Psion can also suppress any visual or audible cue for a power (an indication that the psion is doing something like his eyes begin to glow or such) making psionics very subtle.