PDA

View Full Version : rainforest encounters

joekidd
2016-05-17, 10:14 PM
Hello everyone, I'm getting ready to run my first game a large portion of the start of the game takes place in a rainforest I was wondering if anyone had any cool encounters to help populate the place.

kraftcheese
2016-05-18, 01:54 AM
-The party is stopped by a patrolling group of Yuan Ti, only recently awaked from their thousand year slumber in nearby ruins. They inform the players that they are trespassing on Yuan Ti lands; little do they know, their kingdom collapsed centuries ago.

-Traditional water monsters living in huge bromeliad-like plants on vast trees; a water elemental spirit whose pool sits far above the forest floor, and whose power is fueled by the torrential rain and warm moist air of the jungle. Maybe aquatic creatures living in the great resoivour of a gargantuan baobab?

-Clearings that are full of carnivorous flowers.

-Goblins that navigate down small streams and rivers in the jungle on nimble canoes, poling their way through the shallows to hunt and raid (always with a few archers posted on each boat).

-A forgotten shrine guarded by a bored naga who just wants to have a chat...

-------------------------------------

I mean that's just with the generic "jungle" idea; did you have an idea of what kind of setting you'd like to aim for, what you'd like to include, etc?

joekidd
2016-05-18, 02:37 AM
First off thank you for the ideas. The game is largely based of the old coils of set adventure path. If your not familiar. The game will start of in a trading village under quarintine due to an illness spread among the resafence. Eaily on the group will face of agonist a local thieves guild but learn soon after a cleric of set was pulling the strings to trick the local temple of palor into bringing an artifact to the village which he needs for a ritual to free the avatar of set. While he's in town he's also making preparations for an expedition into the rainforest to find the ruins of an old temple of set to hold said ritual in. If all goes to plan the party will leave town shortly after the cleric trying to stop him. I' be come up with a couple of tribe in the jungle the party may or may not cross paths with including a tribe of orcs who worship a local valcano, a group of freed slaves from a labouring country, and son wild elves traveling between the Fay wilds and the rain forrst.what I'm really looking for is some advicead to how to use them and a couple of encounters to use between them. More than just fights with small groups of animals. I was also thinking of taking inspiration from call of cthulhu when it comes to dealing with thd cult.

wobner
2016-05-18, 07:44 AM
Im unfamiliar with the adventure path, but did a little research, hope this is what you were asking for

fumbling around the necromancer forums, the creator mentions a cut scenario of a ragamuffin, this one apparently in the form of mummy bandages(as opposed to panties) has been free'd from a sarcophogus recently shipped to a city(majool i think it was, but that's irrelevant), by a were jackal serving Set, along with a handful of shape shifting snake men. while the original story took place in town and was a mystery/ find the possessed and shapeshifters, you could have the party given the option of hunting this guy down in the wilderness, or encountering him at random. if the possessed was someone of importance, then freeing him from his ragamuffiness(thats a word) is a side quest, or if he could have some purpose in the clerics plans, knowledge the cleric needs(ancient ragamuffin mummy and all, presumably from the area).

incidently i wouldn't recommend going to the necromancer forums they somehow managed to unmute my volume after i muted it from their obnoxiously loud ads, not too mention redlining my cpu's.

as for what to do with the tribes you encounter in the wilderness, there is always the old cliches of a tribe which has had its totem stolen, forcing it to act, or which has had its old leader kidnapped, and the new one is in league with the enemy. offering the players the oppertunity to rescue/recover(in the case of the leader its assumed he is kept alive as insurance against the new leader, do what we say, or we let him go to exact revenge.)

similiarly with the refugee's traverlers, there is always the rescue of kidnapped comrades, or find out what happened to some who went missing. An option here is that someone stumbled across some ancient ruin or crypt, giving the players a little side dungeon to delve.

and with any hostile encounter you can have prisoners to rescue who could conveivably be from the clerics faction, either through gratitude or threats, offering up intelligence to the players, such as where the cleric is going exactly, if its unclear, or his numbers, or other places of interest in the area.

you could also encounter groups driven out of their homes by the clerics forces or a group under siege by the clerics forces or a group who was kicked out by them(the cleric evicted us, we are evicting you) giving the players a chance to pick a side, choose to help.

some simple encounters

Always a fan of lizardmen, i've wanted to use croc-men in a stream or body of water/swamp, having them spring up in ambush when the players get to close or attempt to cross.

also a fan of sentient gorillas, though any monkeys will do as well, a similiar scenario has them dropping from the trees onto unsuspecting passerbys

joekidd
2016-05-18, 03:23 PM
Im unfamiliar with the adventure path, but did a little research, hope this is what you were asking for

fumbling around the necromancer forums, the creator mentions a cut scenario of a ragamuffin, this one apparently in the form of mummy bandages(as opposed to panties) has been free'd from a sarcophogus recently shipped to a city(majool i think it was, but that's irrelevant), by a were jackal serving Set, along with a handful of shape shifting snake men. while the original story took place in town and was a mystery/ find the possessed and shapeshifters, you could have the party given the option of hunting this guy down in the wilderness, or encountering him at random. if the possessed was someone of importance, then freeing him from his ragamuffiness(thats a word) is a side quest, or if he could have some purpose in the clerics plans, knowledge the cleric needs(ancient ragamuffin mummy and all, presumably from the area).

incidently i wouldn't recommend going to the necromancer forums they somehow managed to unmute my volume after i muted it from their obnoxiously loud ads, not too mention redlining my cpu's.

as for what to do with the tribes you encounter in the wilderness, there is always the old cliches of a tribe which has had its totem stolen, forcing it to act, or which has had its old leader kidnapped, and the new one is in league with the enemy. offering the players the oppertunity to rescue/recover(in the case of the leader its assumed he is kept alive as insurance against the new leader, do what we say, or we let him go to exact revenge.)

similiarly with the refugee's traverlers, there is always the rescue of kidnapped comrades, or find out what happened to some who went missing. An option here is that someone stumbled across some ancient ruin or crypt, giving the players a little side dungeon to delve.

and with any hostile encounter you can have prisoners to rescue who could conveivably be from the clerics faction, either through gratitude or threats, offering up intelligence to the players, such as where the cleric is going exactly, if its unclear, or his numbers, or other places of interest in the area.

you could also encounter groups driven out of their homes by the clerics forces or a group under siege by the clerics forces or a group who was kicked out by them(the cleric evicted us, we are evicting you) giving the players a chance to pick a side, choose to help.

some simple encounters

Always a fan of lizardmen, i've wanted to use croc-men in a stream or body of water/swamp, having them spring up in ambush when the players get to close or attempt to cross.

also a fan of sentient gorillas, though any monkeys will do as well, a similiar scenario has them dropping from the trees onto unsuspecting passerbys

Thanks for the ideas. The were jackal you mentioned was the leader of the thieves guild I've changed his story slightly into being charmed by greed and magic by the cleric and beaming turned I to a were jackal as a reward but becoming completely subservient to the cleric as a result but the mummie thing could still work maybe a local adventurer finds it brings it back to town to show people and the serpentfolk fallow him back to retrive it. Than I was already planing to have some of the thieves guild members caused but the orc tribe while the cleric is out on his expedition. I'll defantaly use the lizardmen. Do you remember the name of the scenario whith the sentient monkeys? I would like to look into that.