PDA

View Full Version : Official examples of 5,000xp miracles?

magicalmagicman
2016-05-18, 03:44 AM
1. Swinging the tide of a battle in your favor by raising fallen allies to continue fighting.
2. Moving you and your allies, with all your and their gear, from one plane to another through planar barriers to a specific locale with no chance of error.
3. Protecting a city from an earthquake, volcanic eruption, flood, or other major natural disaster.
4. Resurrecting stuff that can't be resurrected with True Resurrection.

Any others?

Spore
2016-05-18, 04:22 AM
5. Plot Device. I like how the WoD made top-end supernatural abilities an undefined plot point. :)

In a more concrete matter: I liked the "ressurect a fallen and willingly-corrupted Paladin as an Angel in order to help the heroes cleanse the corrupted god"-one we used. Although not using the Miracle spell per se, more of a DM fiat surprise.

Psyren
2016-05-18, 10:11 AM
When a deity uses it, literally anything. DaD 29:

What happens when a deity casts miracle? Rather than imploring another deity to perform some task, the deity simply draws from its own divine power. It pays the experience point cost with hardly a second thought, and creates the effect it desires.

weckar
2016-05-18, 10:32 AM
Ouch, deities still pay experience? Gaining more can't be easy at their power levels...

Psyren
2016-05-18, 10:37 AM
Ouch, deities still pay experience? Gaining more can't be easy at their power levels...

They covered that too:

As characters of around 60th level, deities can freely pay even large XP costs. Consider that every deity has a safe cushion of around 30,000XP it can use every week for creating magic items and casting spells with experience point costs.

They don't have to do anything to get more, that pool just refills every week.

gogogome
2016-05-18, 10:53 AM
True Resurrection is also an official example.

Outsiders are resurrected by Wish, Miracle, and True Resurrection.
True Resurrection costs 25,000gp
Miracle costs 5,000xp (see the 1xp = 5gp relationship here?)

Which means Miracle can replicate level 9 Cleric Spells and completely ignore their component for a one time payment of 5,000xp.

Now whether Miracle can replicate level 9 non-cleric spells, is unsupported unless someone posts an official example of it.

Epic Golems suggests that Miracle cannot replicate level 9 wizard/sorcerer spells, because only wish can polymorph pure iron into mithral/adamantine, not miracle. But then again Psyren provided a quote saying Miracle is limitless, but I'm sure there is lore out there saying Deities aren't allowed to interfere that much, which means although they can finish an adventurer's quest in an instant, they won't because of rules, so i guess I'm saying is we're figuring out how much a deity is allowed to do for an adventurer.

Mr Adventurer
2016-05-18, 11:57 AM
"Create the effect they desire" doesn't necessarily mean "outside the limits of Miracle, the effect they are evoking", though. That seems like wilfully ignoring the context.

Psyren
2016-05-18, 12:12 PM
"Create the effect they desire" doesn't necessarily mean "outside the limits of Miracle, the effect they are evoking", though. That seems like wilfully ignoring the context.

Miracle has no real limits. It simply says "especially powerful requests need XP, and this lesser list up here doesn't."

gogogome
2016-05-18, 12:22 PM
Miracle has no real limits. It simply says "especially powerful requests need XP, and this lesser list up here doesn't."

Miracle has plenty of limits. Lots of spells have descriptions like "Not even miracle or wish can...."

Psyren
2016-05-18, 12:38 PM
Miracle has plenty of limits. Lots of spells have descriptions like "Not even miracle or wish can...."

In which case, the effect of my Miracle is to Miracle that limit away :smalltongue:

Only deities can do that of course.

Jowgen
2016-05-18, 01:19 PM
I believe keeping the Tarrasque dead was one of the EXP-based ones. Maybe the Ecology of the Tarrasque article clarifies?

Also, Wish can be employed as a savage species type ritual; but it comes with a special stipulation of how to get the desired effects.

Inevitability
2016-05-19, 02:46 AM
I believe keeping the Tarrasque dead was one of the EXP-based ones. Maybe the Ecology of the Tarrasque article clarifies?

There was actually a bit of a discussion on that back in the Madness Tarrasquekiller thread, but no one mentioned an Ecology of the Tarrasque article there.