PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Races: Half-Undead

quinron
2016-05-18, 04:13 AM
Believe it or not, these were actually designed to complement the bird folk race I created (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?487741-Race-Birdfolk-Aarakocra-Kenku-and-Cassowary-People). They're all living humanoids that (for whatever reason) share traits with certain types of undead.

DHAMPIR (Half-Vampire)
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2, and one other ability score of your choice increases by 1.
Age. Dhampirs mature at the same rate as humans. They typically live between 100 and 200 years, though they age normally and become deformed in their old age.
Alignment. Dhampirs are usually lawful, sharing the obsessive nature of their vampire progenitors. Few show a tendency toward good or evil.
Size. Dhampirs are the same size as humans. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. The blood of the night grants you superior sight in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Sunlight Sensitivity. You have disadvantage on attack rolls and on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight when you, the target of your attack, or whatever you are trying to perceive is in direct sunlight.
Ars Vampiris. You know the friends cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the charm person spell. Once you reach 5th level, you can cast the misty step spell. You must finish a long rest to cast these spells again with this trait. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Shapechange. As an action, you can transform into a Tiny bat. Anything you are wearing transforms with you, but nothing you are carrying does. Your statistics change to those of the bat, though you retain your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. While in bat form, you can't talk. You return to your true form when your bat form is reduced to 0 hit points or when you take an action to change back. You can't transform into a bat again until you finish a long rest.

GHUL (Half-Ghoul)
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 1.
Age. Ghuls mature around 10 years old and rarely reach their nineties.
Alignment. Their desire to exhume bodies and consume their flesh forces most ghuls toward chaos. Their desire for fresh flesh gives them a slightly above-average tendency toward evil.
Size. Ghuls are the same height as humans, though they are usually emaciated and walk with a hunched posture. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision. Your grave-touched heritage grants you superior vision in darkness. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Paralyzing Strike. When you hit with a melee weapon attack, you can force your target to make a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Constitution score. On a failed saving throw, the target is paralyzed until the end of your next turn. You must finish a short or long rest before you can use this ability again.
Undead Resilience. Your flesh is too malnourished to support the blood flow necessary to spread toxins. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.

ZOMBLING (Half-Zombie)
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 1.
Age. Zomblings mature at the same time as humans. They don't die of age, but they enter an advanced state of decay around age 70, typically losing functionality less than a decade later.
Alignment. Because their limited brainpower requires them to exercise a great deal of energy to focus on even the simplest tasks, zomblings rarely concern themselves with morality or ethics, remaining neutral.
Size. Zomblings are the same size as humans. Your size is Medium.
Darkvision. The necromantic magic keeping your decaying body together grants you exceptional sight. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Undead Fortitude. If damage reduces you to 0 hit points, you can make a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to 5 + the damage taken, unless the damage is radiant or a critical hit. On a success, you drop to 1 hit point instead.
Blank Mind. You have advantage on Wisdom saving throws.

As always, PEACH.:smallsmile:

EDIT: Names needed work - aside from the below-mentioned problems, I found them boring. In the world I'm designing these for, Infernal is the necromantic and I use Bosnian as a stand-in, so I figured I'd make some new names for the races based on other languages from the Balkans - Vudalak (Albanian for vampire), Zaoduh (from the Croat for ghoul/goblin), and Nateng (from the Romanian for zombie).

Ninja_Prawn
2016-05-18, 07:51 AM
Something something one foot in the grave...

Proper review to follow later.

*Later*

These seem fine. The ghul feels underpowered (and is confusing to pronounce, as pointed out below). The undead fortitude ability is hard to evaluate for PCs, but given how hard to kill PCs already are, it might not have that big of an impact.

DeadpanSal
2016-05-18, 10:13 AM
I'm pretty sure I remember a dhampir being statted before. I can't remember where.

And ghul only works when written. Try having a conversation with it.

"My character's a ghul."
"Oh ghouls? I hate ghouls."
"No, it's a new entry. We statted ghuls up on the forum."
"Are there any ghuls there?"
"YOU'RE NOT THERE, YOU'RE GETTING DRUNK!"

quinron
2016-05-19, 03:58 AM
Thanks. Names always drive me a bit mad - either I decide on one too fast and have trouble coming up with another later, or I take forever coming up with one and it's no good. I'll come up with something better at some point.

For balance, I finally tried designing these races by assigning points to the values, but since a lot of these traits aren't present in the existing races, I had to guess. Would the half-ghoul be in line with the standard if their paralysis lasted 1 minute instead of 1 round?

EDIT: Stroke of inspiration - the half-ghoul should have an ability that allows them some benefit from eating human(oid) flesh. I'm just not sure what that might be - it'd be easy to let them eat creatures they've killed instead of having to hunt for food or carry rations, but that's not much of a feature; maybe they get advantage on some check after eating flesh?