PDA

View Full Version : Planar Substitution Level Rules Double Check!

magicalmagicman
2016-05-18, 07:25 AM
Just in case I misinterpreted something.
1. Knowledge:The Planes is now a class skill for all of my future sorcerer levels. This does NOT extend to prestige classes.
2. The 5th level substitution, even if the spell doesn't have an elemental descriptor, I can make half of it deal force damage. i.e. Shadow Evocation Fireball, half of the damage is force, and the force damage can be reduced to half by a reflex save, and even further reduced upon a disbelief.
3. The 5th level substitution only costs me one level 2 spell known. Nothing else is changed. I get a new 1st level spell at level 5.

Tiri
2016-05-18, 08:08 AM
Just in case I misinterpreted something.
1. Knowledge:The Planes is now a class skill for all of my future sorcerer levels. This does NOT extend to prestige classes.
2. The 5th level substitution, even if the spell doesn't have an elemental descriptor, I can make half of it deal force damage. i.e. Shadow Evocation Fireball, half of the damage is force, and the force damage can be reduced to half by a reflex save, and even further reduced upon a disbelief.
3. The 5th level substitution only costs me one level 2 spell known. Nothing else is changed. I get a new 1st level spell at level 5.

1. No. It is only a class skill for the substitution level. Or levels, should you choose to take more Planar Sorcerer substitution levels in future.

2. As long as a spell deals energy damage, the ability can be applied to it.

3. Yes.

magicalmagicman
2016-05-18, 08:17 AM
1. No. It is only a class skill for the substitution level. Or levels, should you choose to take more Planar Sorcerer substitution levels in future.

Does it become a cross class skill at least?

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-18, 08:37 AM
Does it become a cross class skill at least?
Err, all skills that are not class skills are automatically cross-class.

A skill that has, at some point, been a class skill, can be bought up to the maximum rank limit of your HD + 3. If the skill is not currently a class skill, it'll cost you two skill points per rank, but you won't suffer the half cap of CC skills.

magicalmagicman
2016-05-18, 08:38 AM

A skill that has, at some point, been a class skill, can be bought up to the maximum rank limit of your HD + 3. If the skill is not currently a class skill, it'll cost you two skill points per rank, but you won't suffer the half cap of CC skills.

Thanks. I have the able learner feat so only skill maximums matter.

Tiri
2016-05-18, 08:43 AM

Um, no. It suffers the CC skill cap as long as it is not a class skill for the level you are currently taking. You can have raised it past the cap from previous classes, though.

torrasque666
2016-05-18, 08:46 AM
Um, no. It suffers the CC skill cap as long as it is not a class skill for the level you are currently taking. You can have raised it past the cap from previous classes, though.
Lies. From the player's handbook, page 62

Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level +3.

Tiri
2016-05-18, 09:53 AM
Lies. From the player's handbook, page 62

Wow. Stong language. I appear to have misremembered, forgive me.

Psyren
2016-05-18, 10:20 AM
A good use for Planar Sorcerer is to get into Fiend-Blooded, which has 9/9 casting if you skip the capstone, and will continue to make Know (Planes) a class skill. Doing so gives you 4 bonus spells known, adds the fiendish template to your familiar and some other goodies.