PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Arcane Skill Monkey

Theseus329
2016-05-18, 02:52 PM
I'm joining a campaign starting at level three. My party has a Cleric, a Barbarian, and three Fighters. Normally I'd just play a Wizard and we'd use summons to find traps, but it's an urban campaign so we really need both an arcane caster AND a skill monkey. I'm not looking to break the game, just to play both roles effectively and survive. We'll probably go to around level 15, and have the Core Three, Complete Adventurer, and Complete Scoundrel to choose from, but can take spells from any source he approves. Is Bard my best option, should I multi-class, or should I do something completely different?

Thanks, Theseus

OldTrees1
2016-05-18, 03:03 PM
Yes, Bard is the arcane skillmonkey available with those 5 books. If you also had Player's Handbook II then Beguiler would also be on the table but Bard would still be a good choice.

Telonius
2016-05-18, 03:09 PM
I think Bard would be the best option, given those constraints. Do whatever you can to get Complete Arcane on the table, and Sublime Chord opens up; but even with just regular Bard casting you should be doing pretty well. If nothing else you're going to be more of a force multiplier than usual, with three Fighters in the group.

Janthkin
2016-05-18, 03:17 PM
Beg for PHB2 access, and go Beguiler. Particularly in an Urban campaign, the large number of utility spells that can be cast large numbers of times/day is really significant (Spider Climb for everyone! Invisibility Sphere and/or Silent Image for stakeouts!), but not anything game-damaging - if anything, it enables the sort of gameplay both players & DMs visualize in an urban setting (rooftop chases, tailing marks through crowded streets, lying your way into closed social gatherings). Think Mission: Impossible (and don't neglect the Disguise skill, as magical disguises are prone to detection/failure).

Failing that, go Bard and play James Bond. Significantly fewer spells, but you retain some utility, have solid buffing from Inspire Courage optimization, and there are a few ways to build that will allow you to actually hit something occasionally.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-05-18, 03:26 PM
Bards are great for all sorts of utility stuff, and no less than four martial characters will appreciate your Inspire Courage. If you can have one out-of-book feat, ask your DM for Words of Creation, from the Book of Exalted Deeds. Your party will thank you for it.

Psyren
2016-05-18, 03:38 PM
Bard is adequate but as others have said, you really want a Beguiler here.

Troacctid
2016-05-18, 03:56 PM
If you can get Cityscape, then Urban Savant is very good.

Gildedragon
2016-05-18, 03:57 PM
Pure bard will need a rogue dip: trapfinding

Rogur+Wizard+prestige bard might be the way to go

Aleolus
2016-05-18, 05:34 PM
Spellthief is also an option, though you would be pretty limited in your spellcasting ability. Though the ability to steal other peoples spells and use them against them can be quite useful