PDA

View Full Version : Help with beating a challenge

flappeercraft
2016-05-18, 04:38 PM
So right now i was challenged to beat a 30th level character (cleric 10/ contemplative 10/ fighter 8/ monk 2 human) with a 21st level character with up to +6 LA. My build was an orber (Fighter 1/Wizard 15/ Abjurant champion 5 Lich Drow) that metamagics Orb of Fire and does up to 405 fire damage a round (should be less but we homebrewed maximize and empower to stack because we felt like it). Nonetheless I got destroyed. The problem I had is that the character I fough had the permanent emanation feat with AMF. How can I counter that? Now before you say that the Orb of Fire spell bypasses the AMF I know about that but he could disactivate the AMF as a free action and cast a Heal spell on himself. Of course the heal spell heals a maximum of 150 hp but also the other issue is that for my attack to do 405 damage I need to swift action cast energy vulnerabity on the target and due to the AMF i cant so it does only 270 which can be healed. Also I am aware of disjunction but it has only a 20% chance. Any Ideas?

Douglas
2016-05-18, 04:54 PM
Is Epic Spellcasting allowed? Even without getting into the really abusive ways to exploit it, it's fairly easy to design an epic spell that says "AMF (and these various other spells I list) don't work near me". That trick by itself, with a carefully selected list of spells to block, once was the primary thing that made me a major contender in a high optimization level 50 gestalt arena game.

Alternatively, 405 damage isn't really all that high for an optimized level 21 blaster. Find more ways to boost it higher, so healing stops mattering.

flappeercraft
2016-05-18, 05:36 PM
Epic spell casting is not allowed but we can create spells that are non epic. Epic feats and such are allowed though. Also how do you suggest I increase damage? I use orb of fire empowered, maximize, twinned with searing to avoid resistance and immunity. Its also heightened so it bypasses GoI and mystic shield. Along with that I use energy vulnerability so how else do you suggest I increase the damage? I have arcane thesis so +1 metamagics are pretty much free

Douglas
2016-05-18, 07:52 PM
First, get some more metamagic cost reduction. 10 levels of either Incantatrix or Dweomerkeeper would give another across-the-board reduction for all metamagics. There are also several feats that reduce metamagic costs in more limited ways, such as for only a specific metamagic feat or limited times per day.

Second, add more metamagic. Energy Admixture straight up doubles your damage for a +4 cost (Arcane Thesis + Incantatrix + Practical Metamagic can drop that to +1). Enhance Spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#enhanceSpell) can give another 2/3 increase if you have enough caster level. Even without Energy Vulnerability, that's 900 damage per shot. Add Quicken Spell to do it twice in one round, and that's 1800 damage. There are other metamagics you could add too, but those are the really major ones.

I would also suggest using a different spell, but unfortunately the spell I have in mind (Moonbow) is evocation instead of conjuration so the AMF would block it.

If custom non-epic spells are allowed, see if you can get a fire version of the Acid Sheath spell. Buff yourself with that, and you'd get +1 damage per die, multiplied by all the metamagic. With just what you already have, that would increase your damage from 270 to 315. With Energy Admixture and Enhance Spell also in the mix, it would increase your damage from 900 to 1050.

DarkSoul
2016-05-18, 08:10 PM
He has to lower AMF to cast anything, so ready your action to cast when he does. You just need to be able to one-shot him without energy vulnerability.

Maybe quicken an illusion of yourself casting during your turn if you don't think he'll see through it. Quickened spell = swift, ready to cast when he does, done.

And that Wiz 15 should DEFINITELY be Wiz 5/Incantatrix 10.

flappeercraft
2016-05-18, 09:11 PM
About himblowering the AMF to cast he would if he wanted to heal himself but he also has fighter levels and cleric has good stats for melee along with a bit of monk for cleric monk synergy so he does not really need spells

Cosi
2016-05-18, 09:22 PM
Is there a reason you can't get ice assassin or simulacrum as an SLA and drown him in snow-clones?

DarkSoul
2016-05-18, 09:46 PM
About himblowering the AMF to cast he would if he wanted to heal himself but he also has fighter levels and cleric has good stats for melee along with a bit of monk for cleric monk synergy so he does not really need spellsYou're a 20th level wizard and you can't stay out of melee? Back to the academy, son. :P

Just fly. What's he going to do, fly after you? Not unless he's lowering his AMF to do it or he has wings.

Also see about cashing in that LA for class levels. I don't know what Drow or Lich is doing for you other than obliterating your hit point total.

If custom non-epic spells are allowed, see if you can get a fire version of the Acid Sheath spell.What about an Archmage level for the energy sub arcana? I suppose the DM could be a stickler and say it still buffs acid damage even if it's a fire sheath in that case, however.

Melcar
2016-05-19, 11:56 AM
So right now i was challenged to beat a 30th level character (cleric 10/ contemplative 10/ fighter 8/ monk 2 human) with a 21st level character with up to +6 LA. My build was an orber (Fighter 1/Wizard 15/ Abjurant champion 5 Lich Drow) that metamagics Orb of Fire and does up to 405 fire damage a round (should be less but we homebrewed maximize and empower to stack because we felt like it). Nonetheless I got destroyed. The problem I had is that the character I fough had the permanent emanation feat with AMF. How can I counter that? Now before you say that the Orb of Fire spell bypasses the AMF I know about that but he could disactivate the AMF as a free action and cast a Heal spell on himself. Of course the heal spell heals a maximum of 150 hp but also the other issue is that for my attack to do 405 damage I need to swift action cast energy vulnerabity on the target and due to the AMF i cant so it does only 270 which can be healed. Also I am aware of disjunction but it has only a 20% chance. Any Ideas?

Greater celerity, Timestop, forcecage, maw of chaos and maybe a gate to call in a few solars, to call in a few solars, to call in a few solars, to call in a few solars, to call in a few solars, to call in a few solars, to call in a few solars..... to call in a few solars, to call in a few solars, to call in a few solars!

2016-05-19, 02:19 PM
Contingency: if I lose initiative, cast Celerity (which gives you a Standard action). Use that action to cast Time Stop. Suck up the lost first round, and then cast Time Stop again just in case (you should now have 4 rounds or so to do stuff). At this point, you can basically use a bunch of different routes to taking out this enemy, since they've done you such a favor by giving up their ability to use magic. You could...

1) Teleport Through Time, and give their father a condom.

2) Open a Gate spell above their head that leads to the bottom of a volcano on the Elemental Plane of Fire. Drown them in endless lava.

3) Open a Gate spell that leads to some major metropolitan city in the Abyss, like the Palace of some Demon Lord or something. Drown them in endless demons.

4) Cast "Fly" on yourself. Teleport to some giant boulder. Cast "Shrink Item" on giant boulder; carry it. Teleport back, to some point about 15 ft above your enemy. Cease carrying the shrunken boulder. Fly waaaay away. Time Stop ends, boulder falls, returns to giant boulder size upon entering AMF, squishes uppity Cleric.

flappeercraft
2016-05-19, 04:34 PM
The problem about gate is that since its too overpowered we just put it off limits especially since this is a fight to see what character in itself is more powerful so no outside help. About using the boulder and me flying he has the epic feat permanent emanation which means he can activate and deactivate the AMF as a free action.

2016-05-19, 04:38 PM
The problem about gate is that since its too overpowered we just put it off limits especially since this is a fight to see what character in itself is more powerful so no outside help. About using the boulder and me flying he has the epic feat permanent emanation which means he can activate and deactivate the AMF as a free action.

The great thing about Shrink Item is that it also un-shrinks the thing if you deliberately throw it at a surface. Foreheads, last I checked, are surfaces. whether the AMF is what causes the un-shrinking or not, the boulder is going to un-shrink, and whoever's under it is not going to be happy about that.

Melcar
2016-05-19, 05:12 PM
You could also use wish to cast Divine Power, Tensers Transformation, Greater Heroism, Lesser Vestige of the Deity, Lesser Aspect of the Deity and just beat him to death

Vizzerdrix
2016-05-19, 05:34 PM
Reached, chained, twined launch bolt. Your ammo will be several quivers contaioning +1 splitting, bane, force, explosive crossbow bolts. Nothing is as fun as killing with cantrips.