PDA

View Full Version : Is a Defacers basic slam attack considered SU?

sutasafaia
2016-05-18, 05:02 PM
Having a bit of a rule dispute at the table, although I personally think it's a silly one, but since we're between sessions I figured I would ask.

The Defacer has a lot of SU powers that can be used if it's slam attack hits, but the slam attack itself is not listed as magical in any way. Is the slam attack considered magical because it has magical secondary effects attached?

My thinking was no, since anything that is magical is specified as such, but another player said it would be magical since it has a magical power tied to it. They are saying the slam being magical is implied since it has magical secondary effects, but anything that is "implied" in 3.5 is generally somebody trying to make something fit into their ideas when it really shouldn't, at least in my experience.

The monster sheet for Defacer doesn't even hint that the slam attack is magical, unless I missed it, but if I missed it so did the other player. A specific rule either way would be appreciated, if you know of one. It's fairly important for next session since this would allow the defacers to attack somebody that can go incorporeal. To my knowledge natural weapons are never considered magical unless specified though.

Necroticplague
2016-05-18, 05:37 PM
The Defacer has a lot of SU powers that can be used if it's slam attack hits, but the slam attack itself is not listed as magical in any way. Is the slam attack considered magical because it has magical secondary effects attached? Nope.

My thinking was no, since anything that is magical is specified as such, but another player said it would be magical since it has a magical power tied to it. They are saying the slam being magical is implied since it has magical secondary effects, but anything that is "implied" in 3.5 is generally somebody trying to make something fit into their ideas when it really shouldn't, at least in my experience. Unless that magical power is a +1 or better enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls (it isn't, in this case), the attack is not magical. A slam attack is simply the ability to use a rigid limb to strike. Nothing magic about that. Even in an AMF, it can still smack you across the face.

The monster sheet for Defacer doesn't even hint that the slam attack is magical, unless I missed it, but if I missed it so did the other player. A specific rule either way would be appreciated, if you know of one. It's fairly important for next session since this would allow the defacers to attack somebody that can go incorporeal. To my knowledge natural weapons are never considered magical unless specified though.
If the weapon has a +1 enhancement bonus, it's a magic weapon. Incorporeal can also be beaten by things that strike as if magic weapons (which all creatures with dr/magic possess). In this case no, the Defacer can't slam an incorporeal person without something like a Ghost Touch weapon.

Psyren
2016-05-18, 05:38 PM
I don't know what book that monster is in, but I'd see it as no different than a vampire - the slam itself is not Su, even if there's a Su ability that triggers when it uses it. A vampire that slams you inside an AMF will still do damage, it just won't be able to drain levels.

Ninja'd

Zombimode
2016-05-18, 05:56 PM
I don't know what book that monster is in

It's in MM4 and a very neat creature indeed.

Necroticplague
2016-05-18, 06:45 PM
It was also released online (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060704a&page=2) as part of the excerpts from said monster manual.