PDA

View Full Version : Survive: The Frozen Tundra

PallentisLunam
2016-05-18, 06:59 PM
Day is breaking, it has been for ten cycles of sleeping and waking.
The night is ended, now is the time for tools to be mended.
Snow melts, our hunters must go and gather pelts.
Bellies growl, but still beware the beasts that prowl.

In the tundra there are but two seasons, Night and Day. Day is when tribes move about their territory's. They range far and wide collecting everything they will need, because night always comes. The tundra is never safe but at night is when it becomes truly perilous. It's colder, darker, and everything that walks, crawls, or flies becomes desperate for food, warmth, and shelter.

Even in the daylight a biting wind whistles across the plains and snow falls every few hours. The Blizzard Born have come through this night relatively unscathed. Their stores of meat were high, their clothes were well mended, their tents were, if not warm, less cold than the world outside. However, now is the time to resupply. The more dangerous beasts have gone to ground, it is safer and easier to travel, there are needs to be met.

Arkia, the tribe's shaman, has read the signs. It is time for the leadership of the tribe to pass to the next generation. The tundra only respects strength and vigor. These can be tempered by wisdom, your elders will guide you, but the tribe now belongs to you. The decisions are yours to make, survive or perish. It is up to you now.

The tribe is camped in the plains region of the continent. There are 47 members, two elders, thirteen members of the generation above yours, eighteen children, and fourteen members of your generation. The tribe is running low on food, furs, bone, flint, leather, basically everything required to survive in this godforsaken place.

Fey
2016-05-18, 07:25 PM
Alyssa spent the early morning checking the fetching on her arrows and the elasticity of her bow. For years, her father had taken her on hunts and taught her the ways of the tundra. One of the most important lessons had always been to make sure her gear was in top condition before going beyond the village. Her survival depended on what she brought with her, and a faulty bow was as useless as no bow at all.

Another lesson had been to always heed the wisdom of her elders. Now that it was her time to hunt and provide for the tribe, she needed to make the wisest decisions she could. It wasn't simply a matter of picking a direction and wandering the wilds. Wander the tundra too long, and she would perish. Take too long getting back, and the rest of the tribe would starve waiting for her.

Once her gear was in order, she began her task by questioning the older, more experienced hunters. She would learn from their ways and discover the best places to begin the hunt.

Gather Information check [roll0]

MandibleBones
2016-05-19, 11:13 AM
At the edge of the Blizzard Born camp, a brown-haired head pokes out of a dug-out snow fort. What had been playful fun as a young one had become a survival skill as she came of age, and the packed walls provided both insulation and relief from the biting winds while Ragnhildr kept watch over this approach.

The danger here was more from raids than wildlife — wolves were a danger to anyone, but they and the bears left the camp alone, fearing the burning bite of man's fire. Still, a dire wolf -- or, worse, a bear -- could go mad with the rage-sickness, and wipe out the entire tribe if they were caught unprepared.

So the warrior keeps watch and keeps warm, hands inside the thick furs she wore but never far from the bone handles of her long knives. The camp will endure. The people will endure. She will endure.

She hoped her relief would arrive in time for her to go with the hunters; it might not be her specialty, but she could at least assist in making sure they did not become the hunted themselves.

BilltheCynic
2016-05-20, 07:34 PM
Tog

Tog huddled over in the mobile hut, triple checking that he had all of the supplies he collected. Snowshoes, rope, light, fishing tools, even a bit of nifty footwear of flint and leather that let him skate across the ice. Sure, not all of it would be needed, but this was his first hunt, and he wouldn't be got dead getting killed because he forgot something important. He'd spent most of winter scrounging and bartering for these, and he wasn't going to leave them behind when the time came.

Once he was satisfied he had everything he lazily stood up, did some exaggerated stretching, and put the pack in the corner of the hut where it would be ready when needed. They would probably get called to hunt for fresh supplies soon, but until then he was on a hunt for much more fun "prey": women. The elders were constantly emphasizing the great burden of responsibility his lycantrhopic heritage carried, about how it was his duty to hone his power to best defend and supply the tribe. The elders were right as always, but with great power comes great perks, one of the best of which was the solemn obligation to pass on his blessing to the next generation. So until more pressing matters showed up, Tog looked for women who were willing to do their part to keep the blessed bloodline alive in their tribe.

Fey
2016-05-21, 03:36 PM
After discussing the possibilities with a few of the elders, Alyssa was certain of her destination: South.

Now she just needed a hunting party.

Though with only fourteen in the tribe who were in the prime age for hunting, there weren't many options to choose from. Some were crafters with too little experience out in the wilds, and a couple of the pregnant women wouldn't be fit for the hunt until the next season. Which was one of the reasons Alyssa avoided bedding a man: she didn't want to be stuck at home, suckling a baby, when it was time to hunt.

When she spotted Tog on the prowl she grabbed his ear to pull his gaze away from the succulent young woman he was eyeing. "Now's not the time for rutting in the mud," she said. "Get your gear, and join me in the hunt. When we bring down a buffalo, you can woo that one over the cooking fire."

She looked around for others. When she saw Ragnhildr looking like she was ready to melt the snow with her impatience, Alyssa nodded to her. "Join us. We head south, searching for game, and with any luck, wood. It's better than freezing your heels here all season."

BilltheCynic
2016-05-21, 04:52 PM
Tog

Tog let out a short yelp when Alyssa pulled his ear, then gives her a knowing smile. In a faux reproving tone he says, "Alyssa, jealousy is so unbecoming of you. Don't worry, there's enough of me to go around."

His face and tone change to be slightly more serious. "I'm guessing you'll want a bigger hunting party than just the two of us. I'll get my gear while you assemble some others for the hunt. Rendezvous at the snow fort at the edge of camp?

With that he returns back to the hut, retrieves his pack, and heads to the snow fort where Ragnhildr stood watch.

MandibleBones
2016-05-21, 06:36 PM
Ragnhildr's grin at Tog's misfortune is good-hearted, but her smile when she is invited on the hunt is almost feral. "I'll join you gladly," she tells Alyssa. "I'll be ready to go as soon as my relief gets here." She taps the bag next to her, made of sturdy beaver-skin, a trophy from one particularly lucrative hunt three winters past. "South will be good. More wood for the hearthfires, and maybe even an elk this time." The brown-haired woman licks her lips at the thought of such a feast.

Fey
2016-05-22, 12:27 PM
One the party is gathered, with all of the supplies they need, they begin heading south. They search first through the more well-known trails through the south central plains, searching for game tracks or any other signs of resources to be gathered.

I'm assuming "the party is gathered" includes the NPC apprentice shaman, unless we need to roleplay out the scenario of convincing them to join us.

Since Tog has the higher Survival score for tracking, I'd like to use my own Survival check to Aid Another on him, boosting his chances.

Survival: [roll0]

PallentisLunam
2016-06-01, 09:40 PM
As Alyssa, Ragnhildr, and Tog make ready to go south, Onri the apprentice shaman approaches them. He has a pack hanging from one narrow shoulder and a mammoth bone staff clutched in one hand. "I-I-I would-d like t-t-to c-c-com-come with you," he stammers. The boy has always been a dull, nervous child, but he has a real gift at the healing arts.

BilltheCynic
2016-06-01, 10:46 PM
Tog

Tog stiffens as he hears someone approach from behind. From the breathing and scent it seems like a male, probably fairly young, most likely coming to join them on the hunt. Tog grits his teeth and his pupils narrow slightly. Competition. Just when it seems like he'll be alone with the females, another young male shows up. If this guy thinks he can steal Tog's-

Tog jerks his head. No, his thinking was too primal. Another hunter is good; it increases the chance of success and brings additional resources to the hunt. He needs to stop thinking with his libido; this is a vital quest for the tribe's survival, not a time to rut in the mud. Well, not just a time to rut in the mud.

Tog's ears perk up as the male get's close for him to recognize his scent and the way he breaths. Omri. What a wonderful addition! Someone to heal their wounds, protect them from the elements, and who would offer absolutely no competition in the night. A wide smile plasters his face as he turns around and genially wraps an arm around the shaman.

"Omri! Welcome to the party. We'd be happy to have your healing...I mean you. Yes, we'd be happy to have you along. 'Always be nice to the healer.' That's what my father said when your mentor patched him up after his fight with a pack of sexually frustrated winter wolves. Well, if that's everyone and everything, I suggest we be off. Let the hunt commence!"

I'll just use the survival roll I posted earlier in the OOC for the initial searching/tracking.

Fey
2016-06-01, 10:54 PM
Alyssa rolled her eyes at Tog's ramblings. "The way my father tells it," she said, "the winter wolves weren't the ones who were sexually frustrated."

Like father, like son, she thought to herself.

BilltheCynic
2016-06-01, 11:02 PM
Tog

Tog gives Alyssa a "well, duh" look. "Of course they weren't. What do you think my father was doing in their territory in the first place? My father, through rigorous intelectumullinging, realized that our magnificent bloodline was started because one of our ancestors got freaky with a tiger, and our lineage could be further enhanced by adding wolf blood. Unfortunately, Operation: Seduce Wolf Pack didn't go quite as he planned, but little mishaps like that are why have wonderful shamans like Omri.

Fey
2016-06-01, 11:06 PM
Alyssa stopped in mid-stride, turning her gaze from the tracks on the ground, up to Tog's face. She couldn't figure out whether he was joking or not. But from the reputation Tog's father had in the tribe, somehow it wouldn't surprise her if it were true.

She leaned close, speaking slowly. "Tog, you do know that we're looking for food and supplies, not a wolf for you to marry, right?"

BilltheCynic
2016-06-01, 11:11 PM
Tog

Tog scoffs. "Of course, I know. Survival of the tribe and all that. Seducing wolves was a stupid idea anyway. Sorry Dad. I have much higher hopes for Operation: Seduce Frost Worm.
And don't worry, I'm not looking for a bride. It would be more of a one night stand. Or perhaps 'date and run.'"

MandibleBones
2016-06-02, 03:28 PM
Ragnhildr shakes her head at Tog's antics. "Please tell me you're speaking of the wolf tribe, not an actual winter wolf." She tilts her head slightly, looking up at the sky — not unlike a wolf herself. "Though one admits that it's funny either way." She nods approvingly at the young healer: Not dying is, and always shall be, the top of her priority list.

BilltheCynic
2016-06-02, 04:11 PM
Tog

Tog gives Ragnhildr a sly smile. "Not an actual winter wolf. Several actual winter wolves. Hence 'Operation: Seduce Wolf Pack.' Not that he didn't seduce several members from the Snow Wolves. Those orc ladies just couldn't resist his animalistic charms.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-03, 10:08 PM
Onri disentangles himself from Tog's arm and fastidiously straightens his furs. "M-my fa-father may have ind-in-indulged y-yours, b-b-but I won't. M-Magic i-i-is p-precious. You wi-will be care-care-careful, or you will be o-on your own." Onri steps away from the group and extends his arms to either side. His eyes flutter and his skin ripples as he mutters something under his breath. Moments later where there was a skinny youth there is now a wolf.

Onri barks once and stretches, sniffing at the air. It would seem that he is ready to move out. The four new leaders head south into the foothills. Tog leads for the most part and the party quickly strikes the trail of a small herd of deer. A skilled tracker Tog follows the signs enthusiastically, so enthusiastically that occasionally Alyssa and Ragnhildr have to point out things that he misses. Onri stays in his wolf shape at the back of the party. After a few hours of jogging through the snow the hunters come to a low rise. Onri gives a low growl and Tog senses it too, the herd is just ahead. Their scent wafts in the breeze.

Fey
2016-06-04, 03:50 PM
After discussing the options with the other members of the party, Alyssa heads up the hill to scout and get a look at the herd. She keeps low to the ground, using the rise of the hill and any available grass and scrub as cover. Her bow is in hand with an arrow nocked and ready to fire.

Since we're not yet engaged in combat, I'll just take 10 on Stealth and Perception rolls:

Stealth: 10+11=21 total
Perception: 10+8+2 (Fav Enemy)=20 total

PallentisLunam
2016-06-06, 03:24 PM
The herd is gathered a several dozen feet down the opposite side of the hill. New fawns wobble around on knobby legs munching at grass and playing with each other under their mother's watchful eyes. Four proud bucks stand at the outer perimeter of the group. Each still sports a large set of wickedly forked antlers. They won't begin shedding them for another few weeks at least. The herd has not yet noticed their stalkers since the wind is blowing over the hill from them to the hunters.

BilltheCynic
2016-06-06, 08:14 PM
Tog

As Alyssa scouts at the top, Tog draws on his bloodline's power and begins to change. His body grows a coat of sleek white fur with black stripes. His mouth elongates and his teeth and nails become longer and sharper. His ears grow larger and catlike, his pupils narrow to slits, and a tail snakes out behind him. Tog's shoulders broaden and his muscles become more defined and taut. His demeanor changes to a feral intensity and he seems alert to every detail around him.

He lets out a barely audible growl and begins stalker around the herd, giving only a passing glance to see if Omri and Ragnhildr follow. He pads lightly over the snow, carefully moving to a position to strike.

Activing Shapeshift. Tog gains +4 Strength and Natural Armor and +20 move speed.

If the hill is 12:00 on a clock and the herd is the center, Tog will circle around to line up with a buck near the 7:00 position. Tog will stay at least 180 ft away from the herd until he is lined up. He will wait for Omri and Ragnhildr to get into position, then he will he will creep towards the herd, stopping 60 ft from the nearest buck. He can double move 60 ft per round at half his speed. If he is seen before he can get into position, he will move 60 ft forward in the surprise round. If not, once in position he will wait two rounds for Omri and Ragnihildr to position themselves, then charge the buck with a bite attack.

Since Tog isn't threatened or distracted, he will take 10 on his stealth check with a result of 17.

Charge Attack: [roll0]
Charge Damage: [roll1]+1 con
Charge Crit Confirm: [roll2]
Charge Crit Damage: [roll3]+1 con

Fey
2016-06-07, 12:23 AM
As soon as the others are in position to begin their charge, Alyssa raises her bow and fires, aiming for the most vulnerable looking doe of the herd.

Since I'm assuming Alyssa's shot will count as part of the surprise round, she'll just fire once for her partial action.

Bow: [roll0]
Damage (includes +2 fav enemy bonus): [roll1]

MandibleBones
2016-06-09, 08:46 AM
Ragnhildr likewise creeps up on the bucks. Doubting that she can get close enough for her twin blades to matter, she instead concentrates on the fattest buck and mutters words of power.

Winter wind howls loud;
Avalanche blinds all senses:
The dazed become prey.

Stealth: Not threatened, so will take 10 for 20.

Casting daze (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/daze) on Alyssa's target; DC 15 will save to negate.

PallentisLunam
2016-06-12, 03:15 PM
Alyssa's arrow flies true and strikes the doe just behind the shoulder. Ragnhildr's spell freezes the animal in place as the rest of the herd flees under guard of two of the stags. A third was grabbed when Tog surged forward to attack. His preternaturally strong fingers latch on to the beast's antlers and he twists its head to the side as he sinks his teeth into its throat. Warm blood gushes over his face.

The fourth, also the largest, rears and charges up the hill at Alyssa. It lowers its head towards the huntress. The points on its antlers gleam in the morning sun.

Attack [roll0] Crit Confirm [roll1] Damage [roll2]

It is now the party's turn. The herd is fleeing towards the hidden Onri and Ragnhildr.

BilltheCynic
2016-06-12, 05:37 PM
Tog

Tog growls as the deer's blood flows down his mouth. The prey still struggled weakly, so with a snarl Tog rips at the deer's throat with his jaws and sinks his claws into the prey's tender flesh.

Heh, forgot to shift last round :smallredface: Shifting this round as a free action for another +2 strength (total +6), 2 claw attacks, and a stronger bite for 11 rounds. Full attacking the deer with bite and 2 claws.

Bite attack: [roll0]
Bite damage: [roll]1d8+7[roll]+1 con
Claw 1 attack: [roll1]
Claw 1 damage: [roll2]
Claw 2 attack: [roll3]
Claw 2 damage: [roll4]

Fey
2016-06-12, 06:59 PM
Alyssa staggers back from the stag's sharp antlers and fires at the animal from point blank range.

Taking a 5 foot step back out of the creature's reach.

Point Blank Shot: +1 Attack/Damage. Favored Enemy +2 Damage. Rapid Shot.
If the first arrow somehow manages to drop the buck I'll fire the second at one of the others. Otherwise both are at the one in my face.

Attack 1: [roll0]
Damage 1: [roll1]

Attack 2: [roll2]
Damage 2: [roll3]