PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [Archetype] Barbarian - Plains Descendant (DW/Thrown focused Barbarian) [PEACH]

AmbientRaven
2016-05-18, 10:24 PM
Hi Folks,

I have steadily been working on a new archetype for every class. Several are finished, but half still need balancing/fixing. So I present my Barbarian Archetype. This is actually version 3 of the archetype. Initially it was a barbarian that gained dexterity bouses when raging as opposed to strength. This was scrapped for a few reasons, not the least dex being a god stat and breaking capped AC limitations. So I re-worked the class, focusing more on it's dual-wielding and throwing weapon aspects. The third version continued this, but changed the capstone, made it gaina dded features during rage instead of a new rage and re-worked some abilities.

Submitted for you feedback and criticisms, I present the Plains Descendant Barbarian.

http://www.naturalcrit.com/homebrew/share/ryzZoRKf

Thank you for your time!

Final Hyena
2016-05-19, 10:50 AM
Love the theme, I would suggest you change;

Adrenaline Rage
After making a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you can draw another weapon as a free action.
to
Adrenaline Rage
After making a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you can draw or pick up another weapon as a free action.

quinron
2016-05-19, 11:14 AM
I'd also suggest changing the wording - "free action" isn't really a standard term in 5e. I'd recommend changing it to "as part of the attack" or something similar

AmbientRaven
2016-05-20, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback! I'll fix this up asap :)

Amnoriath
2016-05-20, 05:32 PM
While the artwork is fantastic and does what you want it to do with a little flair I see 2 issues with this sub-class.
1. Using the Frenzy logic on instantaneous effects that to be honest aren't likely to significantly change the outcome of a battle once is going to leave you weak.
2. Lack of utility makes it a one-dimensional character.

AmbientRaven
2016-05-25, 10:38 PM
2. Lack of utility makes it a one-dimensional character.

I've honestly had trouble thinking of a thread that could be given to the class to expand on combat. I was using the Frenzy barbarian as a basis and they don't get much out of combat either. I've considered adding something to do with either needing less rest, or modifying travel speed. But the latter is already done by a totem barbarian. I also considered something like adding Str to any intimidate rolls.

Amnoriath
2016-05-26, 10:48 PM
I've honestly had trouble thinking of a thread that could be given to the class to expand on combat. I was using the Frenzy barbarian as a basis and they don't get much out of combat either. I've considered adding something to do with either needing less rest, or modifying travel speed. But the latter is already done by a totem barbarian. I also considered something like adding Str to any intimidate rolls.

1. Well they sort of do actually in that frightening them would at least soften them up for something else even though the save sucks.
2. Actually neither are, there isn't a single totem that reduces the need to sleep or be in a more alert state. As for the other what you are thinking about is the Wolf totem in that they can track and move stealthily at a faster pace, but it doesn't actually affect normal movement much less how long they can keep it up.