PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PFS] How many levels of Gunslinger in my Investigator

CigarPete
2016-05-18, 10:59 PM
Toying with a few ideas for my next PFS character and decided I want to make a Tiefling Gunslinger/Investigator. The Steel Hound archetype is not PFS legal, unfortunately.

The question is how many levels of Gunslinger should I take and should I go with Pistolero or Musket Master? On the first question options are 1, 3 or 5 levels of slinger, I think the answer is probably 1. I'm torn on the other question, but leaning toward Musket Master just so I can use my d12s and building my Investigator for ranged. Going with 10, 16, 12, 18, 13, 8 after racials for stats.

Thoughts on the concept in general or other suggestions to make the character work better?

Geddy2112
2016-05-18, 11:38 PM
The musket master is really good, the pistelero is okay. 5 levels is the dex to damage dream, but that is a hard pill to swallow for an investigator.

For musket master, you NEED fast musket at 3rd level when the build comes alive. For any gunslinger, this is where you get gunslinger's initiative. However, this requires you to have a grit point to use. Since you only have a 1 wis modifier, that is going to screw you if you need to quick clear, and since you need alchemical cartridges to dakka with the fast musket, it is going to happen. You could always play it safe and just move action reload/shoot...

So for a single level dip I would use a handgun, which works fine off a single level since you will be able to always free action reload with rapid reload and alchemical cartridges. The up close and personal deed is a bit more meh than deadeye, so you might want to just go normal gunslinger for a single dip and be proficient with all firearms. I would not go pistelero unless you wanna use a handgun and go 5 levels for 2d6 up close and personal and dex to damage.

If you wanna go gunslinger, you really should consider trying to get a 14 wis, you can dump strength unless those were rolled and not a buy. However, if you want a 1 level dip or even a 3 you can take siege gunner, which uses int instead of wis for grit. The best part is that it will stack with musket master. 3 levels here might not be worth it because you lose gunslinger initiative, but you do gain the ability to get bigger AoE blasts, so you could go in and use a blunderbuss for close ranged combat utility.

Point blank shot, rapid shot, rapid reload, precise shot, and deadly aim are key feats for any gunslinger. The thing is, if you wanna just be an investigator with a gun you need to use your feats elsewhere. You can skate on just rapid reload at higher levels when you have multiple attacks.

Overall, you are probably best with siege gunner/musket master 3-5, pistelero 5, or siege gunner 1 and use a handgun.

stack
2016-05-19, 07:44 AM
I don't know is it is PFS legal, but the siege gunner archetype changes your grit mod to INT. Might be of use.

Seppo87
2016-05-19, 08:10 AM
Have ypu considered the other way around - gunslinger with a dip in sleuth investigator?