PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Plague Doctor

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 12:22 AM
First time posting on the site but I need some help, I want to create a Plague Doctor character and I am not really optimizing. The Basic idea is for him to be a out of combat healer that prefers to handle "Disease" by killing the issue, not using magic, from killing plague ridden zombies, to destroying a criminal organization. I have most books at my disposal and would prefer to stick to base classes

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 01:02 AM
I think I explain that wrong, I am looking for a low magic, high martial build with a plague doctor feel.

Geddy2112
2016-05-19, 01:14 AM
3.5, PF, or another 3.X system?

You are going for a build that gets resistance and/or immunity to disease when you kill lepers and the like? You want some healing, but you wanna snuff the disease by eliminating the vectors over trying to cure it?

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 01:18 AM
3.5 for the Game

I like the idea of a killing of Disease carrying monsters, or people who have fallen to far to save, but still able to use heal checks to help those that can still be saved. I tried building it with the Expert PC class but it fell short

Inevitability
2016-05-19, 02:49 AM
Factotum if you are willing to stretch the 'not using magic' part. You'll have the skills you require, can heal out of combat with UMD'ed wands of Lesser Vigor, can deal good damage, and have the out-of-combat skills you require.

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 09:36 AM
Factotum is great and all, but I never really liked the class. It always seemed feat starved and only had good damage if you took Iatjutsu as a skill, and is a bit MAD

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 10:38 AM
New Development! It seems this character will be used in a level 1 campaign for a new to the game DM and Players, I am the only one with a lot of experience at the table

Gildedragon
2016-05-19, 11:20 AM
Factotum isn't that feat starved but it doesn't fit the role you have in mind that we'll

I'd you want a non-core class: binder might do the trick... But my sincere suggestion is Artificer, Archivist or Cleric.
I know I know; but magic is pretty much the only way to go about out-of-combat healing in a way that is useful to the party.

Warforged as race (making you immune to disease); put a fair bit of skillpoints into Craft Alchemy.
Artificer-wise most of your infusions are to boost yourself in combat, and keep the healing in magic items.

A more offbeat option: go crusader and use punches for healing.

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 11:23 AM
Never really looked into Binder as it seemed out of place, and also the idea changed slightly, going more with the idea of "Kill the thing causing the Disease" then "Lets use herbs and healing to cure the infected"....a Plague Doctor with a Bloodborne vibe

Deox
2016-05-19, 11:55 AM
A Cleric / Crusader / Ruby Knight Vindicator / Nosomatic Chirurgeon (Dragonmarked p.114) may fit the bill.

The requirements for the Nosomatic Chirurgeon aren't too tough, and it really focuses around diseases and even in the fluff calls them out as "Plague Doctors".

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 12:02 PM
Dragonmarks huh? Never really messed with them, my old DM always said they were a waste of time, how well do they play out?

Inevitability
2016-05-19, 01:03 PM
Dragonmarks huh? Never really messed with them, my old DM always said they were a waste of time, how well do they play out?

The Mark of Healing (which you'll need for Nonsomatic Surgeon) isn't that great, but it does have a couple of interesting options. Lesser Restoration and Restoration are always good to have: especially if the latter won't cost any diamond dust. At higher levels, Heal and even Revivivy (through Dragonmark Visionary) become available. Note that Revivify won't cost any diamonds either.

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 01:18 PM
Hmmm, So I would need to take the Dragon Mark Feats?

Gildedragon
2016-05-19, 01:28 PM
Hmmm, So I would need to take the Dragon Mark Feats?

For that class: yeah, at least Least Dragonmark
If you want more dragonmark SLAs you will need to take the other dragonmark feats, and your race is tied to standard halfling

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 01:31 PM
Strongheart Halfling count?

Gildedragon
2016-05-19, 01:56 PM

Sorry to say that it doesn't.

Inevitability
2016-05-19, 01:58 PM

There's an Eberron book somewhere that states only the standard variants of the PHB races can possess dragonmarks. Plenty of DM's ignore that, though.

There's also the possibility of you starting as a 'normal' halfling of House Jorasco, getting killed and Reincarnated into a strongheart halfling body that still possesses your dragonmark. It should be possible, if unlikely.

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 02:04 PM
Well it is a new DM, so he is asking me how things work, I just don;t want to abuse his inexperience

Ger. Bessa
2016-05-19, 06:39 PM
Ask your DM if you can pick Favored Enemy : Disease Carrier on a ranger. It would apply to anything diseased or spreading a disease (except lycanthropy). It would work against rats, ghouls and cancer mages...

Ranger gets otherwise all you asked, and their magic list lets them use wands of CLW.

ArrixGrimm
2016-05-19, 08:15 PM
What about Prestige Ranger? :D

Edit: Nevermind, thought it was a base class