PDA

View Full Version : Does extra attack progress if I Cross class?

Valcor
2016-05-19, 01:49 AM
This seems to me an exceptionally elementary question - but I just can't find the answer, even as I Google.

I'm a 5th level fighter looking to cross-class or PrC (have received great help on where to go with that - thanks!, Warblade stands out), and I'm thinking: do I lose my extra attack at lv6 if I start another class (eg warblade) and become fighter lv5/x lv1?

Also, if one loses the extra attack - isn't that a big deal? Cross classing seems so common. Or does mid/late-game not benefit greatly from extra attacks?

What DOES the BAB have to do with it?

Thanks all!

Ced
2016-05-19, 01:57 AM
Actually, this depends on your BAB (which is the sum of the BAB from all your classes): whenever it reaches a multiple of 5 plus 1, you get an extra attack (at BAB +1). So, if your BAB becomes +6, you get an extra attack at BAB +1. Same once you reach a BAB of +11, you get an extra attack (thus, +11/+6/+1).

Zombimode
2016-05-19, 01:59 AM
This seems to me an exceptionally elementary question - but I just can't find the answer, even as I Google.

I'm a 5th level fighter looking to cross-class or PrC (have received great help on where to go with that - thanks!, Warblade stands out), and I'm thinking: do I lose my extra attack at lv6 if I start another class (eg warblade) and become fighter lv5/x lv1?

Also, if one loses the extra attack - isn't that a big deal? Cross classing seems so common. Or does mid/late-game not benefit greatly from extra attacks?

What DOES the BAB have to do with it?

Thanks all!

Iterative attacks are ONLY dependent on BAB. Your class levels have nothing to do with it besides granting the BAB.

Since both Fighter and Warblade have full BAB progression meaning that your BAB will increase by one for every level in those classes, the BAB of a Fighter 5 / Warblade 1 will be 6. Thus you will get your first extra attack.

Inevitability
2016-05-19, 02:39 AM
As the others have said, it depends on whether or not the new class has full BAB. Multiclassing into rogue wouldn't give you an extra attack: multiclassing into warblade would. Taking a level of Assassin wouldn't give you an extra attack: taking a level of Horizon Walker would.

And yes, extra attacks are definitely valuable. After all, an interative attack deals your full attack damage and is only 25% (approximately) less likely to hit. For this reason, most martial builds try to have at least 16 BAB by the time they reach level 20.

Firest Kathon
2016-05-19, 03:31 AM
As the others have said, it depends on whether or not the new class has full BAB. Multiclassing into rogue wouldn't give you an extra attack: multiclassing into warblade would. Taking a level of Assassin wouldn't give you an extra attack: taking a level of Horizon Walker would.
To be more precise, taking a level of rogue, assassin, or any other non-full-BAB class would not give you an extra attack yet. You would get it delayed instead, when the second class' attack bonus reaches +1 (i.e. second level). I have listed some example combinations in the table in the spoiler. You see that even the Rogue/Wizard gets the second attack eventually, but a lot later than the plain fighter. I have also shown the level where each class combo gets their 3rd attack.

Character level
Plain Fighter
Fighter 5 / Warblade X
Fighter 5 / Rogue X
Fighter 2 / Rogue X
Rogue 4 / Wizard X

+1
+1
+1
+1
+0

+2
+2
+2
+2
+1

+3
+3
+3
+2
+2

+4
+4
+4
+3
+3

+5
+5
+5
+4
+3

+6/+1
+6/+1
+5
+5
+4

+7/+2
+7/+2
+6/+1
+5
+4

+8/+3
+8/+3
+7/+2
+6/+1
+5

+9/+4
+9/+4
+8/+3
+7/+2
+5

+10/+5
+10/+5
+8/+3
+8/+3
+6/+1

+12/+6/+1
+12/+6/+1
+10/+5
+9/+4
+7/+2

+13/+8/+3
+13/+8/+3
+11/+6/+1
+10/+5
+7/+2

+14/+9/+4
+14/+9/+4
+11/+6/+1
+11/+6/+1
+8/+3

+20/+15/+10/+5
+20/+15/+10/+5
+16/+11/+6/+1
+15/+10/+5
+11/+6/+1

Gildedragon
2016-05-19, 11:27 AM
The BAB question has been solved but let me point out that you want to go into warblade at an odd level to get a full IL from your fighter levels. Non-martial-initiator classes only increase your initiator level by 0.5

Valcor
2016-05-19, 02:38 PM
Haha! Thanks so much everyone, again! I somehow did not activate email updates on this thread, so I thought no one had replied - I kept checking my email! So today, sad and ignored, I went back to Google trying different wording. Boy was I excited when I found just what I was looking for! On GITP nonetheless!
Hehe, it was MY post, and low and behold a wondrous array of complete answers. Thanks again - and the answer makes good sense!

The BAB question has been solved but let me point out that you want to go into warblade at an odd level to get a full IL from your fighter levels. Non-martial-initiator classes only increase your initiator level by 0.5

Guigarci - did you mean 'even'? I just read about this this morning, so the half lv = IL makes sense, but wouldn't a lv6 fighter get IL 3? If I cross class at lv5 (odd) wouldn't that be IL 2?
Thanks again!
-Valcor

Hecuba
2016-05-19, 03:09 PM
Guigarci - did you mean 'even'? I just read about this this morning, so the half lv = IL makes sense, but wouldn't a lv6 fighter get IL 3? If I cross class at lv5 (odd) wouldn't that be IL 2?
Thanks again!
-Valcor

If you are already Fighter 6, you would be cross-classing at Character level 7. 7 is odd.

Inevitability
2016-05-19, 03:10 PM
Thanks again!
-Valcor

I think he means having your warblade level be an odd level (5th, 7th, 9th...), so that your fighter levels are even.

OldTrees1
2016-05-19, 03:17 PM
Thanks again!
-Valcor

The 1st level of Warblade is best placed at 1 more than a multiple of 4

Warblade 1 (1st level manuevers)
Fighter 4 / Warblade 1 (2nd level manuevers)
Fighter 8 / Warblade 1 (3rd level manuevers)

Valcor
2016-05-19, 03:40 PM
I'm Fighter lv5
It sounds like I should go warblade at 7th level - go to lv6 fighter and then warblade at next level.
(or, plead with the dm to let me take warblade one retroactive level and go fighter lv4/ warblade lv1. He could be flexible - I just found out what PrC is and have played once.)

Sound right?

Gildedragon
2016-05-19, 03:47 PM
I'm Fighter lv5
It sounds like I should go warblade at 7th level - go to lv6 fighter and then warblade at next level.
(or, plead with the dm to let me take warblade one retroactive level and go fighter lv4/ warblade lv1. He could be flexible - I just found out what PrC is and have played once.)

Sound right?

Yes. That sounds good.

Divide by Zero
2016-05-19, 06:58 PM
Not to mention that Fighter 6 gets you another feat, while Fighter 5 gets you basically nothing you couldn't get from another martial class.

Inevitability
2016-05-20, 07:54 AM
Not to mention that Fighter 6 gets you another feat, while Fighter 5 gets you basically nothing you couldn't get from another martial class.

*cough*Extended Intimidation*cough*