PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Spell Schools for Force Powers

Gwazi Magnum
2016-05-19, 04:15 AM
Basically if you were to take Star Wars force powers, and divide them into different spell schools (pick whichever standard you want, Skyrim, D&D etc.) what schools would you put them in and why?

For example:
Would you say Force Lightning is a Destruction/Evocation Spell?
Would you say Force Persuasion is an Enchantment Spell?

TheTeaMustFlow
2016-05-19, 06:51 AM
Well, if we're going by D&D, it's pretty easy, because so many of the abilities map out pretty exactly to spells:

Telekinesis is Transmutation
Force Lightning is pretty definitely an Evocation
Mind Reading is Divination
Jedi Mind Trick is Enchantment

Cosi
2016-05-19, 07:39 AM
telekinesis strikes me as something that should probably be in Evocation. It's a force effect, and it's moving stuff around rather than turning things into other things. Seems like Evocation to me.

Though that's more a D&D quibble than a Star Wars quibble.

In terms of Star Wars, force ghosts are probably Necromancy.

Absol197
2016-05-19, 08:27 AM

But you have to be a good guy to leave a Force ghost, so clearly they're Conjuration (Healing) :smalltongue: .

Gwazi Magnum
2016-05-19, 10:00 AM
telekinesis strikes me as something that should probably be in Evocation. It's a force effect, and it's moving stuff around rather than turning things into other things. Seems like Evocation to me.

Though that's more a D&D quibble than a Star Wars quibble.

Would there be many powers under Necromancy though in general?
Cause I'm a bit stuck on what could fit other than Force Ghost.

Cosi
2016-05-19, 11:19 AM
Would there be many powers under Necromancy though in general?
Cause I'm a bit stuck on what could fit other than Force Ghost.

I dunno. But if you're actually looking to classify them (rather than just mapping them to D&D schools for fun), I think there are probably Internal (the crazy jumping stunts Jedi do), Physical (force lightning, telekinesis), and Mental (suggestion, mind reading, ghost) powers. D&D schools aren't a great fit.

Waffle_Iron
2016-05-19, 05:43 PM
I dunno. But if you're actually looking to classify them (rather than just mapping them to D&D schools for fun), I think there are probably Internal (the crazy jumping stunts Jedi do), Physical (force lightning, telekinesis), and Mental (suggestion, mind reading, ghost) powers. D&D schools aren't a great fit.

I'd probably call them Body, which covers force jumps, light saber combat, etc; Mind, which has Jedi mind trick, mind reading; and Spirit, with force lightning, precognition (listening to the force), ghost powers, telekinesis.

Luke was mostly a student of Body, Episode IV obi-wan was all about Mind, and Yoda was focused on Spirit, lifting the X-wing, and foretelling Luke's destiny.

Draken
2016-05-22, 01:16 PM
They map better to psionics, truth be told.

Telekinesis and Force Lightning both fall under the purview of Psychokinesis.

Force Ghosts could either be a form of Psychometabolism, Metacreativity, Telepathy or Clairsentience. Possibly a combination of all of those.

The creation of lightsabers appears to involve a certain degree of Metacreativity.

The physical stuff is Psychometabolism as well as some basic Psychoportation and Clairsentience.

Telepathy covers the mind control.

Clairsentience covers remote viewing, prophecy and all the other forms of mystical knowledge.

Darth Plagueis purported ability to create life would likely be a form of metacreativity.

Lvl 2 Expert
2016-05-22, 01:38 PM
Wookieepedia lists 8 types of force powers (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Force_powers). I don't think all powers fit into those categories, but I'd probably try to start from a list like that, and merge the schools you arrive at through that way into whatever game you're playing. I would not try to adapt any spell schools from outside Star Wars media, especially not since there have been so many games based on Star Wars and fans obsessed with Star Wars. There are most likely plenty of good solutions out there.