PDA

View Full Version : Best Vehicle Rules

CharonsHelper
2016-05-19, 08:50 AM
What are the best vehicle rules for a reasonably crunchy system? I'm talking land vehicles (car/motorcycle/tank etc.) and preferably not a hovercraft.

In addition, it would need to be for a system which is primary about infantry scale combat.

I've seen decent vehicle rules for abstract rules sets, and I've seen decent vehicle rules for games where the infantry are secondary, but for a crunchy game where infantry scale combat is primary, I've never seen rules for them which

1. Are not clunky &

2. Aren't too complex for a secondary system &

3. Feel at all like driving a vehicle

Has anyone else?

I'm trying to make vehicle rules for the sci-fi game I'm designing, and while I have some, I'm not really happy with them. If anyone knows of some awesome ones, I'd like to be able to use them as inspiration.

Zombimode
2016-05-19, 09:38 AM
GURPS Motorcycles

joking ;)

The rules for ships in D&D (Stormwrack, to be specific) seem to me like they could be reworked with little effort into actual good system.
But its probably not relevant for what you are after since its really only useful for ships and ship-like vehicles (airships, underwater ships).

CharonsHelper
2016-05-19, 12:41 PM
The rules for ships in D&D (Stormwrack, to be specific) seem to me like they could be reworked with little effort into actual good system.
But its probably not relevant for what you are after since its really only useful for ships and ship-like vehicles (airships, underwater ships).

Thanks for the heads up - I'll definitely take a gander at it.

But you're right, it's probably not directly applicable. I actually already have abstract rules which I like for spaceships & planes; I think that the main difficulty of vehicle rules is when they're on the same playing field as the infantry when the core rules are about infantry.

Beleriphon
2016-05-19, 01:45 PM
I've always been fond of Star Wars Sage Edition's vehicle combat rules. They were generally pretty straightforward, and emulated the movies pretty well for the most part.

Knaight
2016-05-19, 02:42 PM
Fudge Vehicles (in the 10th Anniversary Edition) is okay, but not great. There's much better rules available in a number of places for airplane combat, but land vehicles are a different beast.

2016-05-19, 03:14 PM
Car Wars, all the way. Oh, for integrating into other systems? Uh...

CharonsHelper
2016-05-19, 03:36 PM
Car Wars, all the way. Oh, for integrating into other systems? Uh...

Exactly. They aren't that hard to do on their own, especially if you're willing to be a bit abstract and ignore momentum etc. - but meshing it with infantry level combat is the difficulty without getting way too complex for a secondary system.