PDA

View Full Version : Where to go from here?

othaero
2016-05-19, 09:42 AM
In our current campaign, my DM has told me I can use only the 3 core books; but whatever feats/spells I want, due to the rest of my groups inexperiance with the game (and he doesn't want me to have a druid with a raptor that does more damage than the entire party combined :(

Our party consists of: all level 2
A gnome cleric of pelor
A half orc barbarian
A human paladin
A human fighter
A human bard
And me the halfling rogue(with an eventual PrC into arcane trickster)

My question is should i take wizard levels at 3 and get the final level of rogue last or finish rogue first?

Inevitability
2016-05-19, 11:22 AM
With only core classes on the table, arcane trickster is kind of weak. You'll have to sacrifice 5 levels of sneak attack progression if you want to enter in the rogue/wizard way, which is going to severely damage your ability to contribute to fights.

However, there is a way to get what you want. The first suggestion will focus on the 'rogue' side of your character, the second on the 'wizard' side.

The first way involves not taking any wizard levels: just more rogue levels. Then at 6th-level you enter Assassin. At 9th-level you take Extra Spell (Mage Hand) and at 11th-level you enter Arcane Trickster. Due to the weird way Assassin progresses SA, you'll actually have higher sneak attack damage than a full-classed rogue, as well as a very nice list of spells and some other goodies. Ask your DM if Arcane Trickster still progresses caster level after your total assassin casting level has become 10.

The second way involves immediately taking a wizard level, then a rogue level (to meet AT's requirements) and take wizard/AT levels from there on. You'll eventually get 9th-level spells that way and can even enter Archmage if you must, and with the right focus on spells you may be able to make this work. I don't recommend it, though, if only because a full-classed wizard is superior in about every way.

OldTrees1
2016-05-19, 03:57 PM
Your skills will thank you if you stagger your skilled levels with your wizard levels.