PDA

View Full Version : DM Help 1st Time DM wants to make a Jade Statue Enemy

Desolator69
2016-05-19, 10:20 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to being a DM but I'm more experienced than the players at D&D and RPG's in general (we'll be playing pathfinder here but it's essentially D&D 3.5 but modified slightly, from what I've heard).

Anyway, I'm designing my own beginning dungeon, the idea is for them to be introduced to the possibilities that lay before them (checks of climb, athletics, perception, detect magic etc. as well as some basic traps/puzzles/riddles and combat).

At the end I would like there to be an epic fight with a single jade statue, however there are no stats specific for this. I have created a template for one however, using the "Animated Object" rules page along with various other pages to help find out info for item hardness etc. The party will be 4-5 level 1 PC's (not made characters yet) so I want to make it a challenge yet still possible and most of all memorable! I have a backup for if they fail (it stops just short of killing them all and declares they will need more training to best him in their next encounter then he teleports somewhere and will be "watching them"). He is benevolent (LN) and is challenging them as he notices they are "chosen" and must test their skill for the growing war in the world (I know, generic).

Aaanyway, I have posted his stats below in a spoiler (can't attach images yet, too noob for that apparently). What do people think? Will he get destroyed quick, or is he OP, or well balanced? I imagined him as a glass cannon yet realistically sqords/axes/spears etc should deal reduced damage due to his magically hardened glass (Hardness 2) construction. Open to suggestions :) Does he need more HP? I am aiming for a CR+1 or CR+2 challenge.

3rd Room 1x Jade Statue
3,000xp
Knowledge (Arcana) Result
DC 10 Animated object through powerful magic (reveal all construct traits)
DC 15

Jade Statue 1,200xp, LN Large Animated Object
Init -1
Senses: Blindsight (can't be blinded, sees with magic), low-light vision, Per -2
Weapon: Jade Spear (1d6, x3 on 20), Pierce, Brace

Defence: AC 14, Touch 10, Flat-Footed 12 (+4 Natural)
HP 26
Fort +1, Ref +0, Will -2
Hardness 2 (2DR vs. slash, pierce, fire)
Construct Traits (Immune to death/mind-altering/necromancy/paralysis/poison/sleep/stun/all Fortitude effects)
Also immune to ability damage/ability drain/fatigue/exhaustion/energy drain/non-lethal damage
Weakness to cold, lightning, acid, sonic, blunt (+50% damage)

Offense: Speed 30ft., Jump 15ft.
Jump Slash+1 (1d8+5) Spear shatters on a miss/block (DC 15 reflex save on nearby PC's, 1d4+1 damage on save fail)
Thrust+2 (1d8+3) +5ft. On attack range
Slash+3 (1d8+1)
Punch+2 (1d4+2)
Trip Make target prone if failed reflex save, 1d2 damage

Statistics: Str 14, Dex 10, Con -, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 16
Base Atk +3, CMB +5, CMD 15

Brace: If you use a readied action to set a brace weapon against a charge, you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging creature

Many thanks for any help!

Flickerdart
2016-05-19, 11:10 AM
A glass cannon is a terrible idea for a boss fight. The battle will go something like this:

The construct rolls high on initiative: It rolls up to a PC and murderizes the PC. The rest of the PCs dogpile it and it dies.
OR
The construct rolls low on initiative: The PCs dogpile it and it dies before it gets a turn.

Stuvius
2016-05-19, 11:18 AM
Single enemy encounters in general often lead to a less than enjoyable battle. I ran into this several times in my early DM days. Adding some lower level minions with interesting attacks or abilities and/or environmental hazards (i.e. traps/lava/acid pit etc.) often balances such an encounter and makes it more challenging without overwhelming the party.

Desolator69
2016-05-19, 11:39 AM
Hmm good points, all well made. In that case I'll make him a bit more durable but still want him to go down in maybe 2-4 turns.

My plan was to make it attack seemingly randomly; attack one PC and bring him to low health then jump-attack another PC next turn, maybe start moving towards the mage/ranger PC. Didn't want them to die from it as the dungeon is only a test before they venture forth into the more dangerous world, but I wanted to instil a bit of "Oh crap, this thing is pretty scary" and for the players to think that they could die from it.

Or is this a rubbish idea?

Adding in some smaller minions might be a good idea but not entirely sure how to incorporate it into this particular room, unless maybe it summons a couple of small constructs randomly around the room or in amongst the PC's or something.

Flickerdart
2016-05-19, 11:47 AM
The PCs don't really have enough health at this stage for switching from one to another to be a viable strategy, unless all your attacks are super weak. Consider non-damaging attacks - trip is a good start but entangle, ability penalties, forced movement, and temporary conditions like dazzled, sickened, fatigued, or shaken are also available to you.

Desolator69
2016-05-19, 11:56 AM
They will be on full HP before the fight. This is supposed to be the end of the dungeon according to the people who sent them there so there is a room that heals PC's to full HP before entering. That's why it has fairly nasty attacks, however I could remove the damage bonus or change the weapon to a weaker one maybe.

I'll look into abilities instead though like you said with entangle/shaken etc. I could make it a mage statue instead of a melee one in this case, that might be a good idea :P

Toilet Cobra
2016-05-19, 12:02 PM
As another idea to stretch out the battle, consider making your statue split into multiple pieces- after it loses 1/4 of its hp, it loses an arm or a leg which then attacks on its own. The statue gets weaker with each piece it's missing, but the number of enemies increase as they fight. The battle isn't over til the jade statue and all its pieces are reduced to powder!

Flickerdart
2016-05-19, 12:06 PM
They will be on full HP before the fight. This is supposed to be the end of the dungeon according to the people who sent them there so there is a room that heals PC's to full HP before entering. That's why it has fairly nasty attacks, however I could remove the damage bonus or change the weapon to a weaker one maybe.
Full HP for a 1st level PC could be as low as 3 (wizard with 8 CON) but is probably around 6 for back-benchers and 10 for front-liners. Don't expect them to be able to take a lot of punishment.

Firest Kathon
2016-05-19, 12:09 PM
Generally, I think the enemy looks good as an opponent for 1st level party. One thing that is not clear for me if it can make more than one melee attack each round. If yes, that may be dangerous since a full attack could potentially do a lot of damage (avg. 14 hp if 50% of the attacks hit) and may be deadly for a level 1 PC.

If this is a boss fight, you will be aiming at a CR of 2-3. A large construct normally has a CR of 5, so you may thing about reducing the size to medium. 3000 XP (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering#Table-Experience-Point-Awards) indicate a challenge rating of ~7 (unless it includes story awards). CR 3 would be 800 XP, which I think is appropriate for this enemy.

There are, however, some issues with your stats. Let's have a look at these.

Senses:
A wisdom of 14 would give you a perception of +2. A perception of -2 implies Wisdom 6 or 7.

Defense:
As a large creature, it will get a -1 size modifier to AC. Its AC will be 13 (touch 9, flat-footed 13) or it needs a natural armor of +5 for AC 14 (touch 9, flat-footed 14).
The hp are too low. A large construct gets +30hp due to being a construct (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Construct), plus 3d10 for 3 hit dice (HD), implied by the +3 BAB. With average hp you would be looking at 48hp.
Saving throws should be +1/+1/+3 (+1 base for all plus ability modifiers)
The hardness of 2 is OK for magical glass (normal glass has hardness 1), but applies against all attacks (even bludgeoning) except if the weapon is made for adamantine. You are of course free to have a special vulnerability against bludgeoning weapons here, I'm just mentioning the general rule. Alternatively, keep hardness 1 and give it DR2/bludgeoning.

Offense:
There is no such thing as a Jump speed. To jump, a creature makes an Acrobatics (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/acrobatics) check with a DC equal to the distance to be jumped.
The attack bonus would generally be +4 (+3 BAB, +2 Str, -1 Size) for a single attack. If it uses the spear and the slam in the same round, the slam has an attack bonus of +0. It should also have a damage of 1d6 (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Natural-Attacks). I think the attack stat block should look like this:
Attack: Jade spear +4 (1d6+3/x3), or Slam +4 (1d6+3)
Full attack: Jade spear +4 (1d6+2/x3) and Slam -1 (1d6+2)
Incidentally, this means that melee PCs should still stand after two hits and not be dead after a crit. Just fudge the dice so that it does not crit on the second hit or when the PC is wounded already (3d6+9 on a crit with the spear averages to 19, enough to take a healthy lvl 1 barbarian straight down to the negatives). I would consider to reduce the spear's crit modifier to x2, to reduce the risk.
For the +5ft. reach, just give it the ability of the lunge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/lunge-combat---final) feat
Remember that as a large (tall) creature, it automatically has a reach (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat/space-reach-threatened-area-templates) of 10ft., so it can attack a creature 5 ft. away (i.e. with one square in between).
Tripping (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Trip)uses the combat maneuver mechanic, it is a combat maneuver bonus roll (your statue has CMB +6) against the combat maneuver defense (CMD) of the opponent. Normally it does not trip automatically when hitting with a spear (it has to explicitly make a trip attempt), but you could add it as a special ability. I would keep it default, so when it trips it will not damage, giving it an option to attack even low-hp PCs without risk of death. If it's testing them (instead of trying to kill them), this would be a good strategy.

Statistics
It is very weak for its size, base Strength for a large creature is 18 and constructs are usually stronger. However, for the CR you want to reach this is fine.
Constructs typically have a Charisma of 1. No problem with yours being more charismatic, just telling you the normal stats.
Since your construct has an intelligence score, it gets 9 skill points which you need to distribute (max 3 per skill). I suggest Acrobatics (+3, for jumping), Diplomacy (+6), Intimidate (+6)

Relevant stuff: Animated Objects (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/animated-object), Building Animated Objects (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs)
Example constructs: Medium animated object (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/animated-object/animated-object-medium) (this should be your baseline as a CR3 construct), large animated object (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/animated-object/animated-object-large), glass golem (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/golem/golem-glass)

Desolator69
2016-05-19, 02:12 PM
Very useful information everyone ^^ Thanks for this!

I have manually nerfed it's stats from the CR 5 construct I used as a template (like lower-than-normal Str and Perception etc.). Perhaps this enemy is simply too ambitious and complex for a lvl 1 party. Maybe I'll introduce it at the end of a dungeon they enter at lvl 3 as I personally like the idea of it.

And yeah, I am aware he is weak for a large construct and perception etc is probably non-sensical, but I was thinking of ways to reduce it from CR 5 to CR 2-3.

Also, jump speed/distance was a big derp on my end haha. As for no. of attacks, possibly 2 but not against the same opponent, would change to engage as many as possible. But I would lower its damage if 2 attacks were for sure.

Flickerdart
2016-05-19, 02:20 PM
You can give the creature an ability like Sweeping Strike or Great Swing:

On each melee attack a war mind makes, he can choose two squares he threatens that are adjacent to each other, and his attacks apply to creatures in those two squares equally.

As a full-round action, the war hulk can choose three squares adjacent to one another (he must threaten all of them). His attack applies to all creatures in those squares. Make one attack roll and apply that roll as an attack against each defender.

Maybe something like this:

Sweeping Limbs (Ex): As a standard action, the jade statue can lash out with its massive limbs to strike multiple creatures at once. Choose three squares adjacent to each other that the jade statue threatens and make attack rolls against each creature in those squares. Creatures who are hit by the attack take 1d3+1 damage.

This way, the statue can spread the love without making obviously suboptimal attacks.

ATHATH
2016-05-19, 02:26 PM
Have you heard of the Two Orcs Method? The article presenting it was written for 5e, but it's easily adaptable to PF.

http://theangrygm.com/return-of-the-son-of-the-dd-boss-fight-now-in-5e/

http://theangrygm.com/elemental-boogaloo/

Desolator69
2016-05-19, 02:41 PM
Ooh, I'm liking the sweeping limbs or 2 orcs idea. Like you said, it would make it less obviously nerfed yet still present an epic challenge from attacks flying around all over the place or would allow me to engage the up-front melee characters yet still be able to threaten the ranged classes too.

In my game I will allow characters to start with maximum HP (6 for sorceress/wizard etc.) as 4 of the 5 players are new to the game and I don't want to have them be discouraged by a character death too early on.

Edit: Okay, I think I've decided to make 2 medium sized statues with reduced stats and sweeping limbs for this encounter. As for the suggestions you made Firest Kathon, I will definitely make a construct like this for a future mini-boss, perhaps not a jade guardian exactly as I don't want to repeat it, however something of a similar calibre, like a giant glass tomb-guard in a later level 4-5 dungeon. Make it slightly different in appearance to avoid people thinking "wait a sec, this seems familiar, just a bit bigger version of a previous fight".

Thank you everyone for your input! I will post the updated stats later when I have finished them for others to use at their will.

Edit 2: Actually, since making it 2 medium constructs, I decided perhaps the original idea was better but make the weapon a one use item that shatters whether it hits or misses, then he has sweeping limbs. The stats will still be changed to be more abiding by the rulebook though, although slightly nerfed still.

Desolator69
2016-05-19, 03:59 PM
Alrighty, here are the updated stats for a single large Jage Statue. I've basically taken all of Firest Kathon advice into consideration, except I made it with HP 40 instead of 48 as I think that might be a bit too much for 4-5 level 1 PC's. The spear is also now a 1-shot weapon that will shatter on a hit, however if it misses I'll flip a coin to see if it smashes against the floor/wall etc.

3rd Room 1x Large Jade Statue
3,000xp
Knowledge (Arcana) Result
DC 10 Animated object through powerful magic (reveal all construct traits)
DC 15

Jade Statue 800xp, LN Large Animated Object
Init -1
Senses: Blindsight (can't be blinded, sees with magic), low-light vision, Per +0
Weapon:
Jade Spear
Unarmed (Sweeping Limbs)

Defence:
AC 13, Touch 9 Flat-Footed 13 (+4 Natural)
HP 40
Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +3
Hardness 1 (1DR vs. all attacks except those listed below)
Construct Traits (Immune to death/mind-altering/necromancy/paralysis/poison/sleep/stun/all Fortitude effects)
Also immune to ability damage/ability drain/fatigue/exhaustion/energy drain/non-lethal damage
Weakness to lightning, acid, sonic, blunt (+50% damage)

Offence:
Speed 30ft.
Jade Spear+4 (1d6+3 /x3) Shatters on hit (1d4 damage in 10ft. radius of target). Flip coin to see if shatters on a miss (Heads - okay. Tails - shatters for 1d4 damage in 10ft. radius of an adjacent square to target)
Slam (1d6+3)
Sweeping Limbs+2 (1d3+1) Attack 3 adjacent squares
Punch+2 (1d4+2)
Trip Make target prone if failed reflex save
Lunge Attack range of 15ft. (spear only). Normal attack range of 10ft. otherwise

Skills:
Acrobatics +3
Diplomacy +6
Intimidate +6

Statistics:
Str 14, Dex 10, Con -, Int 12, Wis 10 Cha 14
Base Atk +4, CMB +6, CMD 15

I've kept the encounter xp at 3,000 as this allows the whole party to level up, allowing the PC's to get a feel for progression and how/what they should look at when levelling up. Won't happen every time as I will stick more to the rule book after this but I thought it was important for the first chapter to include this :P

MisterKaws
2016-05-19, 06:38 PM
Just one thing to note: Everything is really scary for first-level characters, and a single crit from your typical goblin mook can kill most non-Barbarian/Crusader/Incarnate characters, so don't go too crazy to scare the hell out of you. You really just need to DM normally and they WILL be scared as hell. Heck, I nearly died once from failing a balance check and tripping on some stairways, and then had to fight the Not-so-Big-BEG while alone with 2 HP.

Desolator69
2016-05-19, 11:09 PM
You have a point there MisterKaws. I have been trawling through the bestiary and have seen the "Crystal Creature (CR+1)" template. Perhaps I will create a Large fighter with this template instead to make it a bit more realistically challenging and add in some floating rune enemies that come from the walls or ground or something.

I still think this template is pretty good but perhaps when they are level 3 or so. I don't want him so heavily nerfed as I like the idea of this boss.

Thanks again to everyone for their input :) I hope this at least gives some people ideas and/or use the templates for their games ^^