PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Tweaking the Aarakocra

quinron
2016-05-19, 11:11 AM
So, I'm looking to make a continent in my world populated heavily by the birdfolk I designed (plug! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?487741-Race-Birdfolk-Aarakocra-Kenku-and-Cassowary-People)). I changed up the kenku already, so I'd like to do the same with the aarakocra - only having 2 functional traits to work with makes it hard to give the birdfolk unifying traits.

My first thought is to give the aarakocra a flying speed equal to their walking speed at level 1 that increases later. If I did that, what level should they get that speed, and how much value would that trade off for? I'm thinking level 7 - casters get fly at level 5, but it's only 10 minutes at a time.

DracoKnight
2016-05-19, 04:11 PM
Honestly, the aarakocra really don't need tweaking. They start out strong and lag behind at later levels, unless your players happen to pick the monk class. But all monks are crazy good, so...

quinron
2016-05-19, 11:46 PM
It's not a matter of tweaking for balance so much as for my own enjoyment. I'd just like to know how much impact the tweaks I want to make will have once I implement them.

DracoKnight
2016-05-20, 04:14 AM
It's not a matter of tweaking for balance so much as for my own enjoyment. I'd just like to know how much impact the tweaks I want to make will have once I implement them.

They'll have a fairly big impact, seeing as 50' flight and unarmed strikes are the only things that an Aarakocra gets. If you nerf their flying there's not a huge reason to play them. With nerfed flying, the winged tiefling becomes much better (fire resistance.)

quinron
2016-05-20, 08:17 AM
They'll have a fairly big impact, seeing as 50' flight and unarmed strikes are the only things that an Aarakocra gets. If you nerf their flying there's not a huge reason to play them. With nerfed flying, the winged tiefling becomes much better (fire resistance.)

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm looking to nerf the flying at early levels so I can give them another trait or two. I'm just wondering how much extra room I'll have to work with if I give them their fully flying speed around mid-level instead of at 1st.

bunnynoah
2016-05-20, 08:47 PM
Maybe give their natural weapon a boost and make it a unarmed strike?

quinron
2016-05-21, 02:25 PM
Well, the Talon feature in the EEPC already says that their natural weapon is an unarmed strike. I'm more interested in adding a new feature, I just want to know roughly how strong I could make that feature.

Foxhound438
2016-05-22, 01:17 AM
if you add the stipulation that they can only fly for so long between long rests or take exhaustion, (maybe con mod * 5 minutes +1 per day) it'd be reasonable in my opinion to give them a cleric cantrip, or something similar in power.