PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Apex predators

Nibbens
2016-05-19, 12:05 PM
We all know for the most part that adventurers are the apex predators of D&D. Most adventures even start off with the same premise to emphasize this:

1) Players get told by someone or something "there a thing over there - go kill/deal with it."
2) Players stalk the thing.
3) Players kill the thing.
4) Players get a reward from someone or something for killing/dealing with the thing.
5) Players move to the next town and start over at step one.

It's a tried and true formula for a reason - it works, as well as instills a sense of dominance and power in the players minds. They become the highest up on the food chain because (as the saying goes) "It if has stats, players will find a way to kill it."

So, I was curious about flipping the table (da-dum-tsss). There are a few monsters that rather than waiting to be stalked by PCs and killed, instead do the stalking - which informs a new gameplay, a new mechanic. Now the players who were used to finding and killing the thing now have to deal with actively being stalked by something possibly bigger and badder.

Now, In PF there are a few which are designed for it, and there is one that fits beautifully - the Wendigo (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/outsiders/wendigo). Formidiable in their own rights in a stand up brawl, but even worse when the PCs have never seven seen the darn thing.

Thats what I'm interested in. Can we think of any other monsters who fit the bill - who stalk the PCs instead of the other way around. I mean, I know any monster can do it, but are there any others that you know of who are specifically that are designed for it?

Telonius
2016-05-19, 12:52 PM
Vampires are probably Exhibit A of monsters that target humanoids. Maybe not "hunt" per se, but they actively look for people to drain. Things like Mind Flayers and Grells are a close second.

Phase Spiders, Mimics, and Cloakers all seem to do the hunting thing. Ethereal Filchers, too, though they're more about stealing than eating.

Geddy2112
2016-05-20, 01:12 AM
Extraplanar monsters are usually a good fit-higher level ones usually have some form of divination or way of knowing the big players in the world, or take orders from someone/something that does.They can drop in right next to a party from another realm of existence. At high enough levels, PC's are likely going to be attracting the attention of the big cosmic forces, some will support them, others will actively oppose them. The native outsiders are a good mix of somewhat omnipotent but could be hiding in your backyard.

The wendigo is the perfect counter dungeon crawl hunt the PC monster, but I think the high level Rakshasa is the best social intrigue monster. They might very well be the NPC handing the players orders, or the random NPC nobody expected revealed to be the puppet master pulling the strings. Equally scrappy in fistacuffs, but where the Wendigo is a classic apex predator, the Rakshasa is the top of the societal food chain. Where a Wendigo actively stalks the PC's, the Rakshasa lures them into a trap, getting them right where it wants them before the big reveal. It plays chess with them, and instead of leaving them fearing for their lives, it strokes their ego and draws them in. The players don't realize they have been duped until they are stuck in the elaborate spiderweb, where the Rakshasa might kill them, or subject them to so much worse.

Florian
2016-05-20, 01:25 AM
@Nebbens:

Have you taken a look at the Nemesis rules found in Ultimate Intrigue?