PDA

View Full Version : Build a monk plz

Sir cryosin
2016-05-19, 12:55 PM
I looking for a monk build that can do damage. And can hold his own on the front line. For stats we roll for them I roll 13's and 14, with a 8 or 9 then most of the time I'll get one 16-18. My last 5 characters have been like that.

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-05-19, 03:10 PM
I looking for a monk build that can do damage. And can hold his own on the front line. For stats we roll for them I roll 13's and 14, with a 8 or 9 then most of the time I'll get one 16-18. My last 5 characters have been like that.

Make sure your highest stats go to Dexterity and then to Wisdom. Done. Any and all monks will do damage, especially 5th level and onwards. If you want to go pure monk, do the Open Hand monk as the Quivering Palm at level 17 is crazy good. If you want to multiclass a monk, Shadow monks are nice for stealthyness but Long Death monks are virtually unkillable at 11th level.

You shouldn't think of the monk as a tank, he's not (although the Long Death monk is kind of tanky). The monk is a high speed striker that gets into the enemy's back lines and messes stuff up with stuns and what-not.

RickAllison
2016-05-19, 03:38 PM

If you want true front-line, Long Death is your best bet. That temporary HP will let you tank more damage (especially at lower levels), the level 6 ability gives an AoE fear effect for locking down lots of little foes, and the level 11 (?) makes you tougher than a barbarian in some regards. The only thing that gets around that ability is Power Word Kill, things like Disintegrate and massive damage don't get the "and would not outright kill you" clause.

If it's PHB only, go Open Hand. Less toughness, same damage better single-target control. Shadow Monk tends to be a better skirmisher (fighting on the enemies' back lines!), Four Elements is... Well it has its uses. Back with SCAG, we also have Sun Soul. He fights slightly back, however.

Your three highest stats should be Wisdom, Dexterity, and Constitution. For your ASIs, pump Wisdom of you want better control (LD fear, Stunning Strike) or Dexterity if you want damage.

Foxhound438
2016-05-19, 04:24 PM
go any monk until level 5, bumping dex at level 4, then get 2 or 3 levels of ranger, grab hunter's mark once you get spells there. Probably get dueling style for your fs, +2 damage on your main attacks is fine. You get 3 or 4 attacks each dealing 2d6+4 (ish) with the mark up, and if you went 3 you get a d8 on one of them. Only issue there is your spells won't come back on a short rest, so you'll need to conserve them to some degree. Past that just continue in monk to the end.

manny2510
2016-05-19, 04:49 PM
go any monk until level 5, bumping dex at level 4, then get 2 or 3 levels of ranger, grab hunter's mark once you get spells there. Probably get dueling style for your fs, +2 damage on your main attacks is fine. You get 3 or 4 attacks each dealing 2d6+4 (ish) with the mark up, and if you went 3 you get a d8 on one of them. Only issue there is your spells won't come back on a short rest, so you'll need to conserve them to some degree. Past that just continue in monk to the end.

Hex and hunters mark are actually not very good for front liners I've found. The fightlock in my game keeps dropping hex concentration due to melee hits they take. With very few spells on hand as a multiclass caster your spells will have less impact as you either drop concentration or cast one-off effects.

ruy343
2016-05-19, 05:25 PM
I just want to take this opportunity to explain: monks are excellent damage dealers at earlier levels, and the ultimate NOPE to DM's at later levels (because they move so fast, are immune to poison/disease, and have a bunch of cool abilities like stunning strike). At later levels you'll just be incredibly useful in all situations, so don't worry so much about dealing damage.

Now, to make a monk build for you using standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8: the best way to make characters IMO). Please note: you can do better than this (by being a wood elf for one), but I have certain personal standards I hold myself to (and an inherent hatred of elves). I also like to make characters that are different from what is optimal. I'll only create it at level 1 for you.

Horrich the Tall

Class & Level: Monk 1
Race: Stout Halfling

Ability scores:
Str - 12
Dex - 14 (+2 racial) -> 16
Con - 13 (+1 racial) -> 14
Int - 10
Wis - 15
Cha - 8

AC: 15

Preferred Weapon: Quarterstaff, carried with two hands (+5 to hit, 1d8+3 bludgeoning damage)
Bonus Action Attack (Martial Arts Feature): Unarmed (+5 to hit, 1d4+3 bludgeoning damage) - flavored to be kicks, preferably to the face

Other weapons: Darts (ranged, see PHB - same to hit and damage as unarmed attacks)

Ki uses:
Flurry of Blows - 1 point - make two unarmed attacks as a bonus action (replaces your normal bonus action attack)
Step of the Wind - 1 point - take dash or disengage action as a bonus action
Patient Defense - 1 point - Take the dodge action for the turn (all attacks against you have disadvantage, you get advantage on Dex saves you can see coming) - replaces your bonus action

Further building: If you don't plan to reach higher levels, take Resilient (Wisdom) as your first feat; if you do, just improve stats or take a feat of your choosing. There's a wide variety of feats that benefit monks (but at higher levels, you gain proficiency in all saves, so resilient isn't all that important). An example of a good pick is the Alert feat, which boost initiative and perception, can allow you to strike first in combat, and once you get stunning strike at level 5 (and increase movement speed, that can really make a difference. Others will likely tell you to take the Mobile feat, but I submit that although it increases your movement speed (which a halfling could use, I suppose), and although it lets you hit and run, sometimes you can be of greater benefit to the team spending a ki point to dodge and end your turn adjacent to an enemy (so a friendly rogue can sneak attack or something). If you want to take that strategy, a feat for magic initiate (or a level in wizard - abjuration) to grab the shield spell can be very helpful.

Subclass selection: I really enjoyed being a 4-elements monk (everyone else here will shoot me for saying that), but I feel like this guy should be an open-hand monk (but should call it the way of the naked foot).

RaynorReynolds
2016-05-20, 12:38 AM
If you dont mind being a human, pick up the Mobile Feat right off the bat. It will help you really capitalize on your mobility and you wont have to waste a bonus action to disengage.