PDA

View Full Version : Idendrell [3.5, In Character]

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-19, 01:34 PM
The nation of Idendrell runs along the western coast of continent Prax. The south is flat lands, fields and farms, and forests. Mistvail is a port village, named for the thick mists that roll in from the sea. A wooden wall protects the village from the creatures of the forest, and a small harbor provides trade and fishing.

Fields upon fields of a rare purple grain were grown in the lands around the village. Past that, on all sides, was the Mistwood. Trees reached high, branches spread far, foliage green and thick.

There were three small temples dedicated to Ehlonna, Obad-Hai, and Pelor respectively. There was also a shrine to Fharlanghn too. A single smith supplied the local farmers with tools, horseshoes, and weapons to the town guard. An alchemist had a small shop, though she mostly collected rare plants from the Mistwood to sell to travelers.

Mistvail was a dull place, much of the entertainment coming from one of the three taverns. The Grey Eagle was a favorite of the farmers, while the Flailing Koi was frequented by the fisherman and guards. The Hornless Minotaur was the only tavern that doubled as an inn, and thus was most commonly filled with travelers, mercenaries, and adventurers.

At the edge of Mistvail, just inside the wooden walls, is a squat stone building. Ivy covered the entirety of one wall, and gray smoke drifted lazily up into the sky from it's chimney. Herbs and flowers were planted in small plots sporadically about the building. This was the home of Teran, a well known fixture of Mistvail.

It was a bright day, nearing noon with few clouds in the sky, and moisture from the sea making things very humid. Noise from the town market reached out, filling the village. The aroma of sweetly baked bread enveloped everything.

At the center of the town was a well, and a wooden post which important notices were nailed too. One such notice described a tall, thick necked man who had passed through Mistvail just under a week ago. He stole a horse and a purse of silver, and fled into the Mistwood. Another such notice was calling attention to the recent increase in the population of strange, sparking lizards nearly the size of dogs- directions to the poster were provided for those who wished to help in arcane research related to these little monsters.

Yawielas
2016-05-19, 04:08 PM
Neoma Miraleen

Neoma hauls the bucket up from the well for a drink of water after the long trek into Mistvail. The surroundings are familiar from her last visit here some years back. She pulls a strand of silvery hair away from her face, tucking it behind a pointed ear, and looks around. A slender but strong longbow of elven craftmanship is slung on her back, along with a quiver of arrows, and a short blade hangs in a scabbard from her hip. Dressed in leathers of mostly green and brown, she gives a woodsy impression. She turns to the notice board, reading the few notes attached to it. Lizards....interesting... Reading the directions to whoever put up the post, she tilts her head, trying to remember whether or not she's had dealings with him before. Perhaps she'll remember when she sees him. Figuring the lizards are worth investigating, the young half elf starts heading in the direction of the adress on the post.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-19, 04:23 PM
Jack Sands sat up against the well, cap drawn down to shade his eyes. While keeping watch for potential employees might not have been the most glamorous job, it did have its advantages.
There were lots of people to talk to, at least.

kedler
2016-05-19, 08:59 PM
Alexise approaches the well, as he does everyday, to check for wanted posters. After carefully reading and rereading the filers, focuses in on the one about the horse thief. "So the dog has run of to the Mistwood. It will not save him from justice, not if I find him." he says aloud but to himself. The cleric hesitates for just a moment before adding, "If I can find him that is."

He stands there, lost in thought, tapping a finger on the top of the mace at his belt. Alexise runs a hand over his head straightening his close cut brown hair. He returns his hand to the mace, and resumes tapping.

"It would be folly to pursue this thief without a tracker." the elf mutters to himself.

GinntroN
2016-05-20, 02:48 AM
Tharim looks around the busy market scene. He was wanting to set up shop and show off his metal working skills. He had a small sketchbook filled with intricate doorknobs, ornate hinges and of course all manner of weaponry and armor. He scratches his cropped dark brown beard and absentmindedly tugs on one of his shoulder length braids. His gold was running out and needed a place to settle down for a half to full year to fill his purse again and set off somewhere else. He looks overburdened but carries his large pack with ease, full of sketches and strange runed parchment full of red lines, crosses and circles. A few you would swear had caught fire at least twice. Strapped to the back pack is a sturdy, engraved Crossbow, which is more metal than wood. To the side is a wooden shield with more than a few splinters taken out of it. He has a large mace hanging from his belt with flanges coming up the side of a metal sphere and meeting at the tip. He looks more than prepared for a life time on the road.
As he walks through the market place, an elf passes by him, he turns to look as it feel like an age since he last saw one, and notices the board. He hops right up to it and scourers the notices for something that would be worth his while. He finds the finds the notice about the lizards. "Perfect" he thinks to himself. As he notices the address he realises that the elf was headed in the same direction. He scribbles the address down on a random piece of paper and runs after the elf, clanking and huffing to catch up.
When he's a few feet of her he call out, maybe a little more excitedly "Hey, elvish lassie! You headdin' to tha' buisness 'bout the lizards too?"

Yawielas
2016-05-20, 02:57 AM
Neoma Miraleen

Neoma casts a quick glance around before realising she's the "elvish lassie". Turning to the dwarf moving in her direction, she stops and waits for him to catch up. "Me? Yes, you're right. You read the notice to, I gather? I'm Neoma." She bows her head briefly in greeting. "Big, blue lizards sound quite intruiging, I was hoping to learn more."

Eladrinblade
2016-05-20, 03:59 AM
Valkor snorts with mirth, then rumbles a response to the elf standing beside the post, "How would ye track a mounted man after a week? He's probably a kingdom away by now. Aye, keep yer eyes sharp, just in case, but ye best stay busy with more prudent ventures. Maybe this thick-neck ull come 'round again."

He glances around the town, still wondering how humans defend themselves with such weak walls and a clear lack of a standing army. He's not used to getting stared at for being encased in metal either; it's not exactly uncommon in Ostoria. "Ye ever seen a blue lizard?"

GinntroN
2016-05-20, 04:10 AM
"Tharim." says the dwarf with a tip from an invisible hat. "Yes. Tha best way ta learn stuoff 'bout new nasties, be it magical, demons, undead is ta jump right in tha frey. Usually end with a couple of scars. But thar be knowledge all the same. Fer instance, had a zombie once thawck me with his own arm. Disturbin'"

Yawielas
2016-05-20, 04:51 AM
Neoma Miraleen

Neoma smiles a bit. "A goblin did that once...But he was still alive. Crazy, but alive. Let's go find out more about these lizards, then. Perhaps it'll be another chance to jump in the frey." She smiles, wider this time.

kedler
2016-05-20, 06:12 AM
" Indeed I have never seen such a lizard good dwarf." Alexise says with a smile. "Well met, I am Alexise Nepheilise from Caldinsire city of song. I am a celeric in the service of St. Cuthbert. I fear you may be right, without a very skilled tracker there is little hope of finding the horse thief."

He indicates toward the other two, " I overheard those two talking of these strange creatures as well. Perhaps we should talk to them."

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-20, 06:21 AM
Children darted back and forth, laughing and panting, playing tag or swinging wooden sticks at each other. The center of Mistvail was a favorite playground for the younger children. Because a well sat so near where the youth played, those who had market stalls made a point to keep an eye out; falling down the well was not something anyone wanted a child to experience.

One such person who always kept her eyes pealed was Alaxandra. Young, mild mannered, and well known for the salted meat strips she sold. Today Alaxandra was doing what she did everyday, chatting with passing villagers and visiting persons alike. She liked meeting new people, and learning about their homes and adventures. It always reminded her of when she was a child, and her father had taught her to read.

There was a sudden lull in business. She looked about the village center, noting which children were here playing. She also took notice that there were quite a few people taking interest in the notice board, and she figured something new must have been posted. She quickly double checks that nobody is walking to her stall, and then briskly walks away, heading to the post to see what's drawn such a large crowd. She knows her fellow market sellers will keep an eye on her cart.

When she reached the notice board, she squints up at it, and reads the small, scrolling ink-marks. "Looks like Teran is up to something again." She sighs to herself. "Why he wants to go looking into those blue lizard is beyond me. But if it means they stop eating all the animals my husband hunts to make his living, I guess that old wizard can do whatever he wants."

She takes a moment to read through the fine print. A list of various lizardly body parts was included, along with an amount of silver or gold which could be expected to be payed. There was also Teran's address scrawled neatly at the bottom of the page.

After a moment, she walks back to her stall, not giving the notice a second thought.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-20, 07:19 AM
Pushing himself to his feet, Jack ambled over to the oh-so-interesting pair of conversation betwixt Neoma and Tharim. "Pardon me if I'm intruding, but I couldn't help - or rather, didn't bother to avoid - hearing your conversation."
Grinning, he gave a half-bow. "Well search no longer, for I am Jack Sands, apprentice to the Great and Mighty and Corpulent Teran, and it is my duty to accompany you to his abode."
Jack paused, "That is, if you decide to sign up and don't shank me for money."

Yawielas
2016-05-20, 07:43 AM
Neoma Miraleen

Neoma looks to Jack, then nods and smiles. "Great. Lead the way, Jack Sands. Your money's safe. My name's Neoma Miraleen, and this is Tharim, and we're both interested to hear about the lizards."

GinntroN
2016-05-20, 08:28 AM
Tharim grins at the apprentice. "Aye. That'd be true." He looks him up and down. "I wouldn't worry about shakin yer fer money. Unless ya a few thousand, then yer might be in trouble! Tharim snickers at his own joke. After he composes himself for a second his face reverts back to curiosity.
"Are these lizards common in these parts? Or are they a recent development?"

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-20, 08:50 AM
"They've been around, but never in such numbers as these." Jack nods his head to the side, indicating the other conversation. "I'll take you to him in a second, but I need to check on those fellows first."

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-20, 08:51 AM
"Are these lizards common in these parts? Or are they a recent development?"

About five years ago, a splinter tribe of goblins moved into a cave system just inside the Mistwood. They brought with them several clutches of eggs, as well as a few live specimen of these lizards. When the goblins were driven out, the eggs went unnoticed. They hatched, the newborns grew, they bred, and now the ecosystem is in danger

You do not recall there being any unusual lizards from the last time you were here. In fact, you remember there being few reptiles of any kind around here.

Yawielas
2016-05-20, 08:58 AM
Neoma Miraleen

Neoma turns to Tharim, shrugging. "They weren't around when I was here last, about five years ago, although I guess they could have escaped my attention. There aren't many other reptiles around either." She looks towards the elf and the dwarf by the notice board.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-20, 09:03 AM
Jack greets the elf and dwarf. "Good day to you! Were you interested in talkin' to Teran?"

GinntroN
2016-05-20, 09:04 AM
He leans in to half whisper to both his current compaions. "Another Elf and a Dwarf? Is thar some kinnae joke I'm not getten?"

Yawielas
2016-05-20, 09:11 AM
Neoma Miraleen

Neoma grins a little. "As long as we don't walk into a bar, I think we're good." Seeing the elven man's got brown hair, she lets out her breath, then looks at Tharim. "I'm not an elf, though. I'm half human."

GinntroN
2016-05-20, 09:17 AM
Tharim takes a breath to let out another joke, then closes his mouth thinking better of it and awaits to see if these two shall be joining.

kedler
2016-05-20, 10:55 AM
Alexise turns to the human and says, "I was just speaking to this fine fellow about that very thing. I am Alexise cleric of St. Cuthbert, and yes I believe I would like to meet this Teran and learn more about these unusual reptiles. Am I to understand that goblins are somehow involved in the appearance of these lizards? I have had dealing with goblins in the past, and they can be quite troublesome. "

While Alexise would prefer to bring a thief to justice the prospect of undoing some goblin mischief suits him nearly as well. Baring that a simple hunting trip could prove entertaining.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-20, 11:24 AM
"Indeed, goblins were involved... indirectly. They're gone by now, but the marks of their presence remain. Not that any such expedition would be a stroll up a knoll, if that's what you're worried about."

Eladrinblade
2016-05-20, 11:48 AM
Valkor faces Jack, "Aye, glad to be of service. Good bit of luck to be rolling up right as this crowd started flappin' their lips, aye?" He makes a rumbling noise deep in his throat and claps the elf-priest on his shoulder.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-20, 12:04 PM
"Well, you know what they say; the ways of this mysterious world work. If you're interested, come along."
Jack leads them to Teran's house.

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-20, 04:20 PM
Running through the center of Mistvail was a single, well warn cobblestone road. The market was held along this road, with stalls set up selling meats, pies, vegetables, jewelry, and other things Occasionally, a smaller dirt path would trail away, leading to a home or shop. Taking this cobblestone north will eventually lead to one of the two gates allowing passage through Mistvail's walls.

Near this gate, nuzzled right up against the walls, was a squat and aging building covered in ivy and moss. Lavender, mint, and various other herbs grew around in sporadic patches. A thick oak door separated the outside world from the wonders within. A faded block of wood rested nearby, with barely legible symbols indicating that this was Teran's home.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-20, 04:36 PM
Jack led the group up to the door, withdrew a key, and unlocked it. "Ohhh Master!" He called, stepping into the room within. "You have guests - they're here about the lizards."

Yawielas
2016-05-20, 04:53 PM
Neoma Miraleen

Neoma smells the lavender and the mint while waiting for the wizard to appear. The rhyme makes her smile to herself. We're here to see the wizard about the lizard... She sets her backpack down, regretting she didn't stop by the Inn to get a room first, then she'd have a place to put her gear in stead of carrying it around town.

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-20, 05:19 PM
The door opened into a large room. A fireplace supplied light, yet only radiated heat during the cold. Shelves and cabinets lined the walls, stuffed full of books, parchments, and arcane objects. A sturdy table rested in the center of the room, atop a plush fur rug. Though a comfy looking chair was next to this table, the only person in the room was standing, looking down at a series of diagrams, finger absentmindedly tracing along the words he read.

He was thin, shoulders sunken with age, hair white and receding. It took a few moments, but eventually the man turned around to look at his apprentice standing at his door. He gives a slight smile, and begins to hobble forward, every step slow, with a pronounced limp in his left leg. “Jack. Guests, you say? Please, bring them in.”

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-20, 05:47 PM
"Well, they're a motley group," Jack said, hurrying over to lend his Master a hand, "But I think they'll do. We've got an Elf, a Dwarf, a Maybe-Not-An-Elf, and another Dwarf. Humans aren't as interested in the realm of arcan-taxonomical study, it would seem."
He chuckled. "Must be 'boring' in us."

GinntroN
2016-05-20, 08:22 PM
Tharim sets his pack next to Neoma's and chuckles to himself that now something of his is dwarfing something else and walks with the others into Teran's study. He stares in wonderment at all the parchment and items around the room. He resists the urge not grab everything to study and find out what they do. He feels like he in his element. He also finds the humor that this is what his career may have been like if he choose the tomes over the forge, ink and bottle.
After staring at the shelves in amazement for a moment he remembers himself and smiles at the aging human and approaches with his hand outstretched. "Good morning to ye me lord. Tha name's Tharim. I was just apprciatin' yer collection 'ere. Lovely stuoff." He smiles and barely keeps eye contact for more that a second or two before his eye sets on another piece that catches his eye.

kedler
2016-05-20, 09:26 PM
"Well met, I am Alexise Nepheilise cleric of St. Cuthbert." giving a short bow to the elder wizard. "How is it we may be of service?"

Yawielas
2016-05-21, 01:54 AM
Neoma Miraleen

Neoma also steps forward with a small bow. "I'm Neoma Miraleen, a ranger by profession. I was part of the group that cleared the woods of goblins a few years ago, but I don't remember any blue lizards."

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-21, 08:41 AM
"Well they weren't around back then, were they? I mean - if they were, we would have already studied them!"

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-21, 09:59 AM
Teran's eyes move to each of you as you speak. He smiles at Tharim for the brief seconds of eye contact, gives a kindly nod to Alexise, along with an apology for not bowing in return due to his back.

"Ah, master Dwarf. It is an honor to have such a proud race visit. Please, feel free to take a closer look at anything on the shelves. Though, I do ask you leave to cabinets locked." Teran says with a slight chuckle.

"I thank you for your question, Alexise" Teran says, "In recent months the Mistwood has become overrun with Shocker Lizards. They're blue reptilians that grow to be the size of common dogs. They've got a nasty bite, and a nastier jolt. Zap anything that gets too close."

He looks at Neoma for a moment, his eyes squinting briefly. You all, save for Tharim and Valkor, see that a faint white haze has began to set into his left eye.

"I remember you. You were here with that sweet Maya. We took tea together just after those goblins were driven off." He recalls fondly as e moves arduously over to Neoma, and lightly takes her hand in his, squeezing it gently. "How are you, young one? Is Maya here with you?"

Before you can answer, he releases that he's began to get off track. He sharply clears his throat, and continues. "They're omnivorous. They eat the same animals we hunt, and the same plants we gather from. If their population is continues to expand, eventually they'll run out of food in the forest, and either have to trek deeper into the Mistwood, or start attacking our crops.

"I feel it's important to deal with this now. Mistvail is my home, and I have a duty to help it prosper. So, if you could help thin out the population, I'm sure all parties affected would be grateful. And if you would bring me potential material components from these beasts, I can do my duty in expanding arcane knowledge."

After a moment, he looks at Jack, and adds "Besides, we're reaching that point where there is little left I can teach you about your chosen path. I think this would be a good chance to prove you're ready to leave my tutelage, and seek the experience life"

kedler
2016-05-21, 10:15 AM
Alexise nods slightly at the old wizard's words. He thinks to himself, as he listens, that protecting this town's crops and livestock is indeed a worthy endeavor. It would hardly be fair to have the poor farmers on the outskirts of town deal with this problem on their own. Surely they are not the cause of this lizard blight.

Yawielas
2016-05-21, 10:24 AM
Neoma

Neoma looks down sadly, her hazel eyes turning a little moist as Teran mentions Maya. She gives the old man a soft squeeze in return as he takes her hand, then draws her breath to answer, but waits as he continues to speak. Nodding slightly at his descriptions, she speaks when he's done telling about the lizards. "I'm afraid Maya is no longer with us. She took an arrow meant for me...It's been about a year now since I lost her." She takes another deep breath and continues:"I'd be happy to help Mistvail with the lizard problem. And to bring you components from them."

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-21, 10:43 AM
Tearn look at Neoma. Not in her eyes, or at her ears. He looks at her with is failing sight, taking in her sadness and loss. His slight smile is quick to vanish, and quicker still to be replaced by a pronounced frown. He doesn't saw anything. He lets the half-elf's hands fall out of his.

After a moment, he isn't looking at Neoma anymore, but past her. Lost in thought, no doubt reliving some memory that had remained half forgotten until now.

Neoma: 1d20+4
Alexise: 1d20+6
Tharim: 1d20+1
Valkor: 1d20+0
Jack: 1d20+0

DC 15 to hear Teran say, "But you promised."

When he's managed to compose himself, he returns his attention to Neoma. "Thank you, young one, for your help. I'm sorry to hear of Maya's passing."

Yawielas
2016-05-21, 10:56 AM
Neoma

"Thank you, Master Teran," Neoma answers, looking at the old wizard wonderingly after catching his whisper.

GinntroN
2016-05-21, 10:59 AM
Tharim's glee is palpable he gives a short thanks and sets upon the most eye grabbing items first and casts his trained eye to see what they are capable of. All the while keeping an ear out to the conversation.

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-21, 12:25 PM
Teran returns to the table. He takes a square of parchment, and a quill. Quickly, he writes out a short list:
1) Teeth, 1 silver per tooth.
2) Scales, 1 copper each (must be good size and condition)
3) Claws, 1 silver each.
4) Blood, 1 gold per vial.
5) Saliva, 1 gold per vial.

Handing this list to Jack, he says "My boy, do you remember those caves where I used to take you to collect moss and practice your minor illusions? That's where you should start looking. It was where those goblins first settled, and though it's possible some of the lizards have migrated to other locations, the main clutch should be there."

Gesturing to a small box in the corner of the room, Teran adds, "There's plenty of vials and containers which you are welcome to help yourselves to. The caves aren't too far away, a few hours each way, so please feel free to take your time with this. The sooner you get me some samples, the sooner I can start my work. If you need someplace to stay in between expeditions, I'm happy to help subsidize your stay at the inn."

Yawielas
2016-05-21, 12:42 PM
Neoma

Neoma moves over to the box of vials, and helps herself to some. Turning back to Teran, she says hesitantly:"If I may ask....what did you mean by "but you promised"? I don't mean to pry, it just sounds like you knew Maya better than just meeting for tea..."

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-21, 01:57 PM
"You want me to go with them?" Pausing, he considered. "That makes sense. I suppose someone needs to keep an eye about them. Be right back."
Jack went to his room to grab his weapons and supplies.

Eladrinblade
2016-05-21, 02:58 PM
Valkor clanks over to the box in the corner, taking a liberal handful of the vials and stuffing them into his pack. "It's an honor to lend a hand." Goblin caves and lightning lizards. This should be interesting.

GinntroN
2016-05-21, 05:59 PM
Tharim gently places a tome back in it's place and grabs a handful of vials. As he heads back to his back pack he stops short and turns to the aging wizard. "If ye be givin' us all this dosh fer all these lizard parts, How much are ye askin' for a whole corpse? Mebbe even one of the blighters alive?"

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-21, 06:42 PM
Tharim gently places a tome back in it's place and grabs a handful of vials. As he heads back to his back pack he stops short and turns to the aging wizard. "If ye be givin' us all this dosh fer all these lizard parts, How much are ye askin' for a whole corpse? Mebbe even one of the blighters alive?"
"Alive?" Jack asked, entering the room. "Well of course we'd like to all come out alive, though I can't say it's a given."
Scooping up a handful of vials, he shoveled them into his backpack. Then he looked up. "Or was that not what you were talking about?"

GinntroN
2016-05-21, 07:41 PM
"I was just thinkin' that if we gettin' copper fer teeth and silver fer claws how much fer the whole bloody carcass, was all."
He turns to Teran.
"What do yer think ya Arcaneness? 20 gold a corpse? Save ya countin' scales and teeth"
[roll0]

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-21, 09:01 PM
Teran nodded solemnly. Quietly he said to Neoma, "Maya and I met when I was much younger. I used to travel back then, trying to better understand the arcane mysteries and their connection to the natural world. She and I met-"

Teran fell silent as his apprentice began speaking. When Valkor chimed in, the ageing wizard game a kind nod and accepting smile. He remained quite during Jack and Tharim's short conversation, and then turned his attention to the Dwarf when the subject of a full corps was broached.

"If you can manage to transport a full corpse in relatively good condition, then 20 gold seems like a fair payment. Though, in that case, I wont need more then four or five to start with." Teran seemed to be in a slightly better mood, his mind having been distracted by the diplomatic skills of Tharim. When he turned his focus back to Neoma, he said to her, "I'm sorry, young one. I think that's a story for another time."

Yawielas
2016-05-22, 04:31 AM
Neoma

Neoma nods to Teran. "I understand. We can talk more when we return with the lizard components." She packs the vials carefully into her backpack.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-22, 07:23 AM
Neoma

Neoma nods to Teran. "I understand. We can talk more when we return with the lizard components." She packs the vials carefully into her backpack.
"Heh. That's a nice way of saying 'When we come back with sacks full of the mutilated body parts of various reptiles', right?"

Yawielas
2016-05-22, 07:38 AM
Neoma

She smiles a little and turns to Jack. "Not various. Just the blue ones."

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-22, 08:07 AM
Neoma

She smiles a little and turns to Jack. "Not various. Just the blue ones."
Jack grinned. "My favorite color."

kedler
2016-05-22, 08:39 AM
Alexise takes few vials himself, inspects them for cracks, and places them into a pouch at his belt. "I am ready to depart whenever the rest of you are, and may I say that I am pleased to be working with you all. Well met and may St. Cuthbert keep us true." The elf goes to one knee and places a hand upon the mace he wears to honor his god. He quietly recites a short blessing, "May the Just stay true and the Guilty suffer, St. Cuthbert let us revenge ourselves upon our transgressors."

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-22, 09:14 AM
The trek from Teran's home into the Mistwood was an easy, if somewhat dull affair. For a while, you stick to one of the main paths through the forest. When you come across a shallow stream cutting swiftly through your path, Jack directs you to follow it south.

The air is fresh, the trees tall and green, and the sunshine surrounds you. An occasional fish swims in the stream, the movement catching your attention from the corner of your eye. Birds chirp and chatter, sitting high in the trees or flying freely through the sky.

As it nears the third hour since you left Mistvail, come upon a cave. At the mouth, a gray wolf lay. It lay on it's side, eyes open but unseeing. Its mouth was slightly open, a fat purple tongue hanging out. Flies buzzed around its corpse. It lay at an unnatural angle, legs splayed out and it's back painfully arched.

Laying nearby, a strip of raw flesh in its mouth, was a lizard about the size of a terrier. The lizard was utterly still at first. Its deep blue hue giving it away. No doubt it was warming itself while it feasted in its prey. It had
a bullet-shaped head sporting a large pair of horns that swept back from the sides like spiky ears. A similar structure appeared on the tip of its tail.

Neoma: [roll0]
Alexise: [roll1]
Tharim: [roll2]
Valkor: [roll3]
Jack: [roll4]

Those who pass see two smaller lizards right at the bank of the stream. Their scales are much more dull, and they're closer to the size of a young cat.

GinntroN
2016-05-22, 09:26 AM
"And here I be thinkin' tha this twere going ta be harder than first thought!" Tharin whispers to anyone in earshot. He quickly sets his pack down, sets his sheild down ready to be snapped up the second it's needed. He aims his loaded crossbow at the lizards poking about the wolf's carcass. He suddenly realises to himself, how did two little lizards bring down a wolf?

kedler
2016-05-22, 10:30 AM
"Two more, over by the stream." Alexise whispers to those closest to him. He readies his bow, and points it toward the two smaller lizards, incase they join the fight.

Eladrinblade
2016-05-22, 10:38 AM
Valkor immediately moves towards the lizard to draw it's attention, then plunks his shield down and hides behind it. He doesn't speak; he believes the others will grasp what he's doing.

Moving 20ft closer, then using standard action to take total cover.

kedler
2016-05-22, 12:00 PM
Alexise takes aim at the lizard Valkor moved towards and hoping to draw it into the dwarf's range let's lose an arrow. He quickly nocs another arrow and sweeps his atention back and forth between the two groups of lizards.

my actions in the suprise round.
To hit [roll0]
Damage if hit lands [roll1]

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-22, 12:10 PM
Shrugging his shield down onto his arm, Jack brings up his crossbow.
He fires, hopes... and mutters dire imprecations as it misses.

Yawielas
2016-05-22, 01:39 PM
Neoma

Neoma looks towards the river as Alexise points out the two smaller lizards, then nocks an arrow on her longbow, taking aim at the bigger one by the wolf carcass. She lets her arrow fly, hoping the small ones won't join just yet.

To hit: 17, damage 4

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-22, 09:36 PM
The lizard near the wolf's carcass squeaks in pain as one arrow became lodged in its tail. A second arrow zooms past, taking a small chunk of the lizards hide along with it. It's attention becomes focused upon the source of its pain, and in darts forward, covering 40 ft rapidly in the direction of Alexise.

The two smaller lizards, having heard the pain filled noise, are made aware of the party. The first of the smaller lizards moves forward to investigate.

http://i.imgur.com/waKGTy7.jpg

GinntroN
2016-05-23, 04:57 AM
Tharim assesses the situation and decides that the larger lizard darting forward to Alexis is the greater threat. He levels the crossbow at the blue terror, thanking his lucky stars that closer targets are a specialty of his, and with a satisfying *thwap* fires a bolt, intending to skewer it.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Eladrinblade
2016-05-23, 10:46 AM
The lizards having closed the distance between them, Valkor lifts his axe and strides closer, then brings down his heavy waraxe on the nearest of the hapless creatures with an audible grunt.

Either adjust 5ft to largest lizard (assuming it's not dead now), or move to H10 and attack the small one.

Waraxe: [roll0]
if crit:
Waraxe: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

kedler
2016-05-23, 01:15 PM
Alexise fires another arrow at the lizard charging at him. In his hurry his shot goes wide.

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-23, 01:46 PM
Alexise's arrow prices into the lizard's left eye, and it crys out in pain, atempting to remove the intruding object.

Tharim's bolt strikes true, plunging deep into the neck of the larger lizard. The beast flails wildly, jolts of energy sparking around it, as it releases a high pitched screech. After a few seconds, it collapses onto the ground, eyes wide. Its breathing becomes shallow, and its gaze fades into dull emptiness. Blood leaks onto the ground.

The second of the small lizards darts forward, using all of its might to run into the safety of the cave, disappearing from your sight.

Valkor's waraxe slams into the first of the smaller lizard. It cuts cleanly through scales and flesh, digging deeply into the spine. The young lizard collapses into a heap, twitching slightly. A few jolts of energy briefly emit form the body, striking the Dwarven attacker. Valkor feels a minor shock, about half as strong as static.

http://i.imgur.com/Ld2wW2K.jpg

Yawielas
2016-05-23, 02:08 PM
Neoma

Neoma nocks another arrow, just in case more lizards show up, and looks towards the cave entrance. "Could be a lair in there..."

GinntroN
2016-05-23, 03:52 PM
Tharim starts the process of reloading his crossbow, eyes scanning around for more danger.

kedler
2016-05-23, 10:02 PM
"Yes, there are sure to be more about." Alexise says as he nocs another arrow and moves to inspect the dead lizard.

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-24, 01:57 AM
Alexise moves to the lizard's carcass. Upon close and careful examination, the Elven cleric concludes that the beast is dead.

Alexise estimates that a decent number of scales remain unharmed, and that no teeth are broken. It looks as though the remaining eye is intact, and could be harvested, albeit carefully. The bolt sticking out from the lizard's neck seems to have pierced an artery, leaving the body with little blood left.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-24, 06:19 AM
"Well," Jack said, "I hesitate to call that easy... but it kinda was."

GinntroN
2016-05-24, 06:26 AM
Tharim snaps eyes straight to Jack and says half serious, half in jest. "Aye. You've don it now lad. Tha god's usually listen ta sentences like that. They tend to hav a sence o' humor. It's been nice knowin' ye all."
He finishes loading, and keeps his weapon trained on the entrance to the cave.

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-24, 07:59 AM
A slight tussling sound draws Tharim and Valkor's attention. Tharim's eyes instantly lock onto five wolves skulking nearby. Both dwarves sight was drawn to an immense gray wolf which seems as big as a horse. It has fiery eyes and a thick coat of fur. The large beast is looking at the dead wolf on the ground, before looking at the party.

Wolf 5,
Wolf 4,
Valkor,
Wolf 3,
Jack,
Wolf 2,
Tharim,
Neoma,
Alexise
Wolf 1,
Other Wolf

All wolves, Valkor, and Tharim have a surprise round and may take one standard action or one movement.

Neoma: [roll0]
Alexise: [roll1]
Tharim: [roll2]
Valkor: [roll3]
Jack: [roll4]

Wolf 1: [roll5]
Wolf 2: [roll6]
Wolf 3: [roll7]
Wolf 4: [roll8]
Wolf 5: [roll9]
Other Wolf: [roll10]

The wolves, suddenly aware they've been spotted, dash forward, taking positions where they can attack the perceived murderers of their kin.

http://i.imgur.com/XZVnEIp.jpg

Eladrinblade
2016-05-24, 05:42 PM
Aw, dung. "GET IN THE CAVE, NOW!!!" Roars the fire-bearded dwarf while pointing at the cave with his axe. He shrugs off his shield, knowing full well this is going to be a chancy fight.

Adjust to O9, drop tower shield.

GinntroN
2016-05-24, 07:20 PM
Tharin fires at the wolf behind him to better sure up the party's movement. He yells to no one in particular, "I friggin' told ya"
Attack to wolf1 [roll0]

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-24, 09:22 PM
Tharin's bolt lodges into the large sized wolf's hide, causing it to let loose an angry roar.

One of the wolves, gray fur knotted and unkempt, charges forward, rushing towards Neoma. Upon reaching the half-elf, the wolf lashes out with snarling teeth. Neoma is nimble enough to avoid the teeth, and her armor renders her imperious to any scratches that would otherwise have been sustained. The wolf's attack was full ineffective.

Another wolf runs forward, positioning itself next to Alexise, bites at the elf, and completely misses. The wolf glares at Alexise with yellow, sadistic looking eyes.

http://i.imgur.com/MvVybhW.jpg

Eladrinblade
2016-05-25, 01:51 PM
Valkor draws a potion from his belt, pops the cork with his thumb, and drains it as fast as he can in one big gulp. He immediately grows to double his height and width, the size of an ogre. Dropping the vial to the forest floor, he takes a step towards the fight and grips his axe with both hands in case any wolves come close.

Adjust to N9, draw potion of enlarge person and drink it.

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-25, 08:48 PM
Wolf 3 lets lose a howl and breaks into a sprint, running until she is at the side of Alexise, within range of both the Elf and Tharim. It seems as though the wolf is hoping to stop either of you from the large wolf which Tharim so recently injured.

It nips at Tharim, but is unable to effectively grab the Dwarf with his jaws.

http://i.imgur.com/rvk6zU6.jpg

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-25, 09:19 PM
Dropping his crossbow, Jack raises his hands and shouts: "Color Spray!"
Will negates - DC 14.
The spray is cone-shaped and should hit Wolf 5, Wolf 1, and Wolf 2.
Duration of unconsciousness, blindness, and stun: [roll0].
Duration of blindness and stun: [roll1].
Rolling for arcane failure from shield (5% - fails on a 1): [roll2].

Yawielas
2016-05-26, 04:17 AM
Neoma

Having dodged the wolf's attack, Neoma figures they're way past diplomacy at this point, and draws her blade, a slender elven short sword. She swings at the wolf that scratched her armor, hoping Jack's trick works.

Melee attack: [roll0] damage [roll1]

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-26, 08:02 AM
Jack moves, repositioning himself to Neoma's left with five feet between them. Jack let's out his shout, throwing out his hand. The sand that he's been holding shot outward, and began to streak though the air, the color bleeding together in a strange twist of lights. The cone of arcane magic hits one of the wolves, and when the light fades That wolf is one the ground, completely still save for shallow breathing. It is completely helpless.

Wolf 2 moves within range of Jack, upset that another member of the back is no longer standing, and bites at the young wizard, gripping his forearm tightly, drawing blood. Though the wolf tries to pull Jack to the ground, Jack is dexterous to remove is arm from the wolf's possession.

Neoma's blade slices elegantly into the wolf's shoulder. It's not a deep wound, but it is painful. The wolf whimpers in pain, and cowers away from the half-elf, rage filled eyes fixed upon her.

http://i.imgur.com/lnr2kvg.jpg
Jack takes 7 damage, and is not tripped.

GinntroN
2016-05-26, 08:20 AM
Dropping his crossbow, Tharim pulls his mace up from the ring on his belt and aims a massive swing at the creatures head hoping to cast out it's brains on the ground.
Attack and damage is on the combat page.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-26, 10:45 AM
"Careful," Jack warns. "The big one's a Dire Wolf - it's going to be worse! Hence, you know, the 'Dire'"

kedler
2016-05-26, 11:25 AM
Alexise drops his bow with his left hand while drawing his mace with his right. He brings it across swiping at one of the wolves.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-26, 12:07 PM
Tharim's mace connects with his target, though he hits it in the side, not the head. It deals a terrific amount of damage, and leaves the wolf winded and barely able to stand. At the same time, Alexise hits the wolf that had tried to attack him.

One of the wolves lays unconscious on the ground, helpless, still affected by Jacks spell.

The large, snarling wolf lugs itself forward, Tharim's previous bolt still lodged in its hide. It stops next to the Dwarf, allowing , snarling, growling a low, terrifying growl. With horrifying swiftness, the massive beast bites into the Dwarf, tearing skin and drawing blood. As the wolf tries to pull the Dwarf off his feet, Tharim musters all of his strength, and hits the deadly wolf in the snout, dazing it and managing to break free.

Wolf 5, now bolstered by the appearance of its alpha, again tries to attack Neoma, successfully biting her leg, and puling her off balance. The half-elf ends up on her back, panting, her assailant staring down at her.

Wolf 4, having been minorly injured, lashes out at at the cleric, grabbing hold of him, and pulling his legs out from under him.

http://i.imgur.com/eImTCix.jpg
Other wolf hits Tharim for 13 damage, fails to trip, Tharim got a nat 20 on his strength check, punches the Other wolf in the snout for 2 non lethal damage, and dazes it for 1 round.

Neoma takes 7 damage and is knocked prone.
Alexise takes 2 damage and is knocked prone.

Because of the way Other wolf moved, he provoked an Attack of Opportunity from Alexise. Feel free to take it if you want.

Neoma being attacked:

Wolf 5 attack: [roll0]
Trip attempt: [roll2]

Opposed Dexterity check: [roll3]

Alexise being attacked:

Wolf 4 attack: [roll0]
Trip: [roll2]

Opposed Dex check [roll3]

Tharim being attacked:

Other Wolf attach: [roll0]
Damag: [roll1]

Trip Attempt: [roll2]
Tharim's opposed strength check [roll3]

If the trip attempt is higher then Tharim's roll, he is knocked prone.

Eladrinblade
2016-05-26, 01:08 PM
Valkor, now ready to crash the fight, drops his axe and draws his spiked-chain while stepping a bit closer. Whirling it over his head with deadly speed, he sends it from right to left, whirling into one of the wolves worrying Alexise, trying to tear through the pack two at a time. "HrrRAAUUGHHH!!!"

Adjusts to M9, drops axe, draws spiked chain.

Attacks wolf 3 with spiked chain, if a cleave is triggered, it targets the dire wolf.

Spiked Chain: [roll0]
if critical:
Spiked Chain: [roll2]

Cleave Attack:[roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
if critical:
Spiked Chain: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]

Current AC: 18
Vs. Trip: +12

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-26, 01:23 PM
Valkor's chain sails through the air, slamming into its target. Wolf 3 lets out a wimper. The skin on the side which Valkor hit was broken, bits of bone pressing out into the open, blood hitting the ground with steady consistency.

Wolf 3 lets out a string of short yelps. With Alexise on the ground,, there's nothing stopping the nearly dead beast from retreating.

http://i.imgur.com/lkOx0h6.jpg

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-27, 06:59 AM
Stepping back to L10, Jack casts Flare on the Wolf 2.
Fort negates, DC 13.
Arcane failure (fails on a 1): [roll0].

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-27, 07:17 AM
Taking a five foot step, Jack casts a spell, causing a burst of light to form directly in front of Wolf 2's eyes. The wolf squints slightly, and after the light fades it seems to be completely unaffected. Wolf 2 takes its own five foot step, positioning itself protectively in front of the unconscious wolf.

http://i.imgur.com/HOJnxYz.jpg
Wolf 2 rolled a 25 on Fort Save, was unaffected.
Wolf 1 has 4 more rounds of unconsciousness.

Wolf 5,
Wolf 4,
Valkor,
Wolf 3,
Jack,
Wolf 2,
Tharim,
Neoma,
Alexise
Wolf 1,
Other Wolf

It is Tharim's turn, then Neoma, then Alexise.

GinntroN
2016-05-27, 08:18 AM
Tharim, sensing his options are limited as he can't heal himself without dropping his guard, decides that being harder to hit is the better option. While keeping his eyes on the wolves that may tear out vital organs at any moment, he imbues his sheild to block more than it should. He raises his mace again ready for an opening to attack or something to stanch the blood rapidly leaving him.

Yawielas
2016-05-27, 08:28 AM
Neoma

Neoma tries to roll to her feet, knowing the manouver will leave her open to an attack, but lying on her back with an angry wolf over her seems the worse choice. She swings at the wolf again with her short sword, grimacing.

Attack: [roll0] confirm if crit: [roll1] damage [roll2]

kedler
2016-05-27, 12:58 PM
Alexise twists and struggles with the wolf that has his leg. Calling upon the strength of his faith he strikes at the wolf's head with all his might.

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-27, 05:33 PM
Alexise's slams his mace into Wolf 4, divine wrath flowing into the animal.

Wolf 1 remains unconscious, and the Other wolf is just barley starting to regain its senses.

Wolf 5 retreats, positioning itself next to Wolf 1 protectively. Wolf 4 follows after Wolf 3.

http://i.imgur.com/1uZOZYj.jpg

Wolf 5,
Wolf 4,
Valkor,
Wolf 3,
Jack,
Wolf 2,
Tharim,
Neoma,
Alexise
Wolf 1,
Other Wolf

Valkor, you're up!

Eladrinblade
2016-05-27, 06:09 PM
His new priest friend now unthreatened, Valkor turns his attention to the giant wolf, whirling his chain with greater force, a bit recklessly, and slings it at the beast. He then takes a step back to put more room between himself and it's massive jaws.

Adjusts 5ft back away from the big wolf

Spiked Chain@PA1: [roll0]
if critical:
Spiked Chain@PA1: [roll2]

Cleave vs. Wolf 2:
Spiked Chain@PA1: [roll4]
if critical:
Spiked Chain@PA1: [roll6]

Though wolf two would have soft cover.

AC 18, vs trip +12

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-28, 07:49 AM
Valkor's spiked chain slams into the large sized wolf, causing it to howl in pain. It stumbles and its legs get entangled. With a loud thud, the Dire Wolf hits the ground.

"AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOO!" It howls out.

Wolf 3 continues to run, vanishing from sight.

http://i.imgur.com/yXWjGaT.jpg
Jack is up now,
Wolf 2 is after Jack.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-28, 09:13 AM
Stepping down into L11, Jack casts his second Color Spray, striking Wolf 2, Wolf 5, and Wolf 1 again (assuming its eyes aren't closed). "Taste the fury," he cries, "Of my justice rainbow! Spray and Pray!"

Yawielas
2016-05-28, 09:29 AM
Neoma

Neoma looks around to see if anyone is in need of assistance.

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-28, 11:36 AM
Wolf two snarls and bites at the wizard as he begins casting his spell. Though physical startled, Jack maintains his mental composure, and lets lose a spray of colorful magic. Wolf 2 falls unconscious, while wolf 5 is unaffected.

http://i.imgur.com/z8hJpil.jpg
Jack takes 7 damage from AoO.
Wolf 1 is unconscious for 3 more rounds.
Wolf 2 is unconscious for 5 more rounds.
Wolf 2 can't take its turn.
Tharim is next. Then Neoma (Looking around is a free action). After Neoma, it's Alexise's turn.

The Other Wolf is prone, and not dead.

GinntroN
2016-05-28, 06:11 PM
Taking advantage of the dire wolf laying on the ground Tharim steps forward and brings his mace down on the beast with a satisfying crunch.

kedler
2016-05-28, 08:36 PM
Alexise is also looking around assessing the condition of everyone's injuries.

Yawielas
2016-05-29, 02:36 AM
Neoma

Neoma moves next to Jack, ready to defend him if he needs to cast more magic.

kedler
2016-05-29, 07:04 AM
Seeing the price Jack paid for casting his spell and disabling the wolves, Alexise rushes over and puts a hand on the wizard. Healing energy flows from is hand and into Jack's body.

cure light wounds [roll0]

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-29, 08:27 AM
Wolf 1, being unconscious, does nothing.

The large Dire Wolf looks to Neoma, seeming as though it wants to convey something. It whines and whimpers, and slowly pulls itself up. With all her years of ranger experience, Neoma manages to piece together the Wolf's intention. She is sure, without a doubt, that it is going to attack again.

Wolf 5 looks from Wolf 1 to Wolf 2, whimpering. He nuzzles Wolf 2 for a moment. When the unconscious wolf doesn't respond, he lays down and lets out a long, haunting ARRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Wolf 4 looks back, before fleeing, disappearing form the party's sight.

http://i.imgur.com/HFdaE93.jpg

The Dire wolf still has a Standard Action left. Tharim can take an AoO on it.
Valkor may also have an AoO? (you have a 10ft reach, and your chain has a 10ft reach. Do those stack?)

After those AoO are taken, or declined, the Dire wolf will get it's action.

Yawielas
2016-05-29, 08:35 AM
Neoma

"The Direwolf is going to attack again, but the others might flee if we let them..." Neoma keeps her sword up.

GinntroN
2016-05-29, 08:43 AM
Seeing the opportunity, Tharim swings his mace, not letting the wolf have any respite.

Eladrinblade
2016-05-29, 01:51 PM
A tinge of regret playing across his mind, Valkor nevertheless swings his now-massive chain down on the large wolf.

Taking that AoO, and yes, his reach is 20ft with the chain when enlarged.

I think I have to keep the power attack I was using last round, right?

No cleave; let's see what 2 does.

Zexionthefirst
2016-05-29, 08:55 PM
Valkor's chain soars through the air. The sound reaches the Dire Wolf's ears, and it look away from Neoam. It sees the chain right as it hit. The Dire Wolf, already weakened physically and damaged emotionally, cant handle the attack. It collapses to the ground with a soft thud.

http://i.imgur.com/gcmQTpN.jpg

It's Valkor's turn.
Once Valkor posts, it's Jack's turn.
Then Tharim,
Then Neoma,
and Then Alexise

Eladrinblade
2016-05-29, 11:14 PM
Valkor stomps around behind the group to come up on the side of the wolves, whirling his massive chain over his intimidating steel-clad bulk, hoping to scare the remaining wolves, but ready to lash the first one that remains aggressive.

Though only one is conscious, right?

Valkor moves down to M13 and readies an action to attack the next wolf that attacks anyone in the group, giving them a chance to flee.

if critical:
Spiked Chain@PA1: [roll2]

Cleave:
Spiked Chain@PA1: [roll4]
if critical:
Spiked Chain@PA1: [roll6]

Yawielas
2016-05-31, 07:47 AM
Neoma

"Perhaps we should retreat into the cave before the wolves wake up. I doubt they'll follow us in there, and now they're outnumbered as well. The cave might be a lizard lair. Although we should tend to injuries before going too far in..." She looks down at the savage bite in her leg, holding a hand to the bleeding wound. Then she looks around to see who else is hurt.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-31, 07:58 AM
Looking around, Jack takes in the scene. Turning to Neoma, he asks, "Now what? What do you want to do with the beasts?"

Yawielas
2016-05-31, 08:03 AM
Neoma

"They're no threat now, I suggest we leave them alone. They'll likely flee when they wake up."

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-31, 08:41 AM
"And then what? How can we be sure they won't prove a threat to further travelers? Ones less capable than ourselves?"

Eladrinblade
2016-05-31, 09:07 AM
"Aye, into the cave. We're not here to hunt wolves, lad." He moves to collect his dropped items, then heads to the cave. This encounter hasn't sat well with him.

With his mule who's been here the whole time, of course. :smallbiggrin:

GinntroN
2016-05-31, 09:44 AM
"Aye, ta tha as well. Don' like tha idea of unnecessary combat. Were a good scrap though"
He stows his mace and sheild, pick up his crossbow and reloads it as he follows the other into the cave.

kedler
2016-05-31, 10:24 AM
"I agree, leave the wolves, it's the lizards we have come to deal with. Allow me to tend you wounds before we move on." Alexise says as he begins heal to wounded.

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-31, 01:00 PM
Jack shrugs. "If you say so. Doesn't sit right with me, though - leaving enemies at our rear."
After retrieving his crossbow, he casts Unseen Servant. "Who's got a torch? Lucy here can carry it for us."

kedler
2016-05-31, 02:50 PM
Alexise calls on the power of his god to heal Neoma and Jack's wounds.

for Jack [roll0]

For Neoma [roll1]

Yawielas
2016-05-31, 03:00 PM
Neoma

Neoma smiles at Alexise, feeling her leg heal under his hand. "Thank you."

GreyStormcrow
2016-05-31, 04:03 PM
"What she said," Jack says, reloading his crossbow. "Pain hurts, you know."
Rising, he produces a pouch. "Here, Lucy. Besides holding the torch, you can also take these caltrops. You'll be 10 feet in front of me, so when I say 'Thornbush', I want you to scatter them on the ground."
He pauses, "The caltrops, not the torch."

Yawielas
2016-06-01, 01:40 AM
Neoma

Neoma looks from one to the other, before looking to Jack, confused. "Who's Lucy?"

Eladrinblade
2016-06-01, 05:56 AM
"I've roughly ten hours o' torches, and a few pints of oil, but no lantern." He looks around the cave for a moment, "Never needed one, myself."

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-01, 07:42 AM
Neoma

Neoma looks from one to the other, before looking to Jack, confused. "Who's Lucy?"
"My Servant. She's invisible. 'Lucy' is short for 'Translucent'."
Turning to Valkor, he says, "Light one up then, if you would. Not all of us-" Jack pauses, eyes passing from Elf to Dwarf to Dwarf to Elf. "Fine; I can't see in the dark."

kedler
2016-06-01, 08:21 AM
With a word and a quick hand gesture magic light begins to emulate from the shaft of Alexise's arrow. He holds it up for a moment then nocs it to his bow string. "This way I can very quickly light the way ahead if the need arises." he says in way of explanation.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-01, 09:39 AM
The mouth of the cave is just about 5 feet wide, and extends inward for just over 5 feet before opening into a wide, low cavern. Dirt and small rooks are everywhere. The smell was a welcome aroma to Valko. The cavern itself was rather unimpressive. In the back, at the edge both Dwarves' darkvision, a tunnel leads eastward and down.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-01, 03:18 PM
The mouth of the cave is just about 5 feet wide, and extends inward for just over 5 feet before opening into a wide, low cavern. Dirt and small rooks are everywhere. The smell was a welcome aroma to Valko. The cavern itself was rather unimpressive. In the back, at the edge both Dwarves' darkvision, a tunnel leads eastward and down.
"Let's stick together," Jack says. "Look around, see if it's safe, try not to die..."

Yawielas
2016-06-01, 03:40 PM
Neoma

"Good idea," Neoma smiles. She enters the cave, blade in hand, letting her eyes adjust.

Eladrinblade
2016-06-01, 06:08 PM
Valkor hands a torch to everyone who doesnt already have one, and hands his flint & steel to Jack, in case he needs to light one, then arms his shield and axe, taking a lead position as the group explores the small chamber.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-01, 08:19 PM
Sending Lucy to the front with torch and caltrops, Jack takes up the rear.
He pulls Tun out of his pocket and sets him on his shoulder. "Croak if you see anything scary, little buddy."

kedler
2016-06-01, 08:55 PM
Alexise takes position behind the dwarves lighted arrow at the ready. "St. Cuthbert guide us."

GinntroN
2016-06-01, 09:05 PM
"Ya know wha?I'll jus pop in the front here. Jus' in case of traps."
Tharim makes his way to the front and casts his eyes to the ground constantly scanning for traps.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-02, 10:44 AM
You head forth at a steady, cautious pace. The tunnel in the back proves to be the only way forward, and one by one you begin to follow its path. Valkor, used to such close confinement and the uncertainty of danger, remains vigilant as he follows after the disembodied force carrying on a torch.

As you grow further and further from the cave's entrance, the tunnel's incline grows steeper. Things are slowed down by Tharim's insistence on inspecting every crevice on the walls and piece of moss hanging from above. After nearly an hour of slow advancement, you've travailed 150 ft forward. The tunnel easily gives the impression that it's several hundred more feet long.

Eladrinblade
2016-06-02, 08:08 PM
"These tunnels are nae trapped, Id think. These lizards come and go easy enough. Just keep an eye out and we'll walk slow."

kedler
2016-06-02, 08:26 PM
"I agree let us proceed." Alexise says after recasting light on his arrow for hundredth time.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-02, 08:30 PM
Jack blinks. "You were looking for traps? Is that what that was? 'Cause I thought we were just walking slowly. You know - short legs and all."

GinntroN
2016-06-03, 07:35 AM
"Were jus' being careful was all. Fine, but a bloody spike pierces yer hide, don yer blame me." Tharim, feeling a little embarrassed, falls in to everyone else's pace.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-03, 10:27 AM
You continue into the depths, travailing onward, now at a faster pace. Eventually, the tunnel levels off. Minutes latter, the tunnel ended, opening into a vast cavern. Blackness extends outward, lapping at the edges of your torchlight. On either side of the tunnel rests an old, tarnished brass sconce.

Carved into the wall just above each torch holder was a single word, the goblin word for "Brightness".

Yawielas
2016-06-03, 10:36 AM
Neoma

Neoma reads the goblin writing. "Brightness...These must be part of the caves the goblins used five years ago. Perhaps the lizards still use it."

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-03, 10:42 AM
Snagging Tun off his shoulder, Jack flicks his wrist, transforming the toad into a monocle.
He examines the script with many hrrmms and ooohs.

[roll0].

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-04, 04:34 AM
Jack steps back, placing Tun back on his shoulder. "This?" He says, smiling wildly, "I have no idea what it means. Brightness was it, you said?"

GinntroN
2016-06-04, 09:21 AM
"Mabbe thar bein' literal. That's were torches be put, so it be brighter. Mabbe thar's a well with tha word 'wet' somewares down here. Don see tha word 'hard' on any wall though."

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-04, 11:20 AM
"Mabbe thar bein' literal. That's were torches be put, so it be brighter. Mabbe thar's a well with tha word 'wet' somewares down here. Don see tha word 'hard' on any wall though."
"Perhaps it is written on the other side? Nonetheless, I believe that we should table this quirk for the moment and get on with the on-getting. There's still caves to explore, you know."

Yawielas
2016-06-05, 03:04 AM
Neoma

Neoma tries speaking the goblin word for Brightness out loud, to see if the writing is magical somehow.

GinntroN
2016-06-05, 03:07 AM
"Someone chuck a torch in thar, see if tha does somethan'."

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-05, 03:23 AM
Ever so subtly, the etched words seems to shimmer before Neoma's eyes. It lasts for less than half a second, before returning to normal.

Yawielas
2016-06-05, 03:38 AM
Neoma

"Huh, well it almost worked...Perhaps my accent is off." Neoma looks at the others.

kedler
2016-06-05, 06:28 AM
Alexise places a hand over the word and casts light on it. He then speaks the goblin word aloud in his best goblin accent.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-05, 07:03 AM
With the power of St Cuthbert's chosen coursing through it, the wall around one of the words begins to glow as brightly as a torch. This new source of light further illuminates the tarnished brass sconce. With the guttural sound leaving his mouth, Alexise speaks the harsh language of the goblin people, it being a brutal contrast from the refined eloquence one would expect from an Elf.

The word again shimmers briefly, and with the new source of illumination from Alexise's spell, you're able to see that the shimmering light of the etched words seems to be drawn in and consumed by the sconce.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-05, 07:36 AM
"Well that's not ominous at all," Jack snarked. "Here - Lucy, try and burn the words. Let's see what is of the what."

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-05, 07:57 AM
The transparent, formless force which Jack had called forth with his magic over an hour ago moved forward. The torch is pressed against the hard rock, and nothing happens.

GinntroN
2016-06-05, 08:59 AM
"Okay. Since we're all gettin' intimate with a goblin trick, I'll have a butchers. An a won be needed some half glass, half amphibian to do it either."
Tharin put his face about 3 inches from the sconce and tries to work out if its something that can help or a goblin trick to keep them rooted to the spot for a half hour.

[roll0]

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-05, 10:19 AM
Having seen the strange affect happen twice now, Tharin sets his mind to work. As he tries to make the intuitive leap needed to figure out what's going on, a stray memory flutters across the Dwarf's mind. He recalls a time from what seems an eternity ago, when home was something that was only a few months away.

Tharin recalls an oddity he's seen: A set of rings which were connected, and could pass low level magic from one to all the others. Tharin concludes that perhaps these sconce operate on a similar principal. When the etched letters begin to shimmer, the sconces draw the magic into themselves and send it elsewhere.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-05, 12:09 PM
Jack makes a similar attempt, trying to think of what could be causing the strange effect.

Spellcraft: [roll0].

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-05, 01:12 PM
Jack recalls reading about a lighting mechanism which was created by the Southern goblin Tribes. They lived in caves, and would cover their walls with a strange magic developed by their shamans, which could illuminate the underground environments efficiently.

Spellcraft check failed. Knowlage (Arcane) passed.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-05, 02:27 PM
"Huh," Jack said, nodding. "I think I remember reading 'bout these things, actually. They're basically primitive lamps - except, you know, more advanced and convenient than our non-primitive stuff. I wish there was some way to copy it..."
Jack trailed off, shaking his head. "Eh. Not important. There might be a spellcaster down here, though, so we should be on our guard."

kedler
2016-06-06, 06:36 AM
"Did anyone try putting a torch in the sconce?"Alexise asks.

Eladrinblade
2016-06-06, 10:59 AM
Valkor plucks the torch from Lucy, then puts it in the sconce. If nothing happens, he suggests the group moves on.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-07, 07:10 AM
The moment the torch entered the sconce, the flame vanished. At exactly the same moment, light seemed to flood the cavern. It had no discernible source. It was simply there.

80 feet in-front of you, splitting the cavern in half, is a deep trench. There are a set of wooden planks tied together to make a primitive bridge. On the other side the cavern, you can now see a few dozen huts. Form this distance, there doesn't seem to be any other exits.

GinntroN
2016-06-07, 08:11 AM
"That'd be the goblin lairs then I gather. Might be a good time ter take a stealthy approoch."
Tharim takes up his crossbow and keeps his eyes trained to the huts looking for movement.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-07, 09:36 AM
Jack snorted. "Really? We just lit up the entire cavern. That's not what I'd call stealthy. No, we'll probably be under attack any minute now."

Yawielas
2016-06-07, 10:27 AM
Neoma

"I'm not sure there are any goblins left here, we cleared them out five years ago, at least most of them. But the lizards are still here, I guess." Neoma nocks an arrow, just to be ready for anything.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-07, 08:44 PM
http://i.imgur.com/THYBD2b.jpg

To get you a general idea as to what you see

kedler
2016-06-07, 09:30 PM
"Well this is interesting."Alexise mutters, and begins to head into the cavern a little ways to get a better look.

GinntroN
2016-06-08, 02:01 AM
"Yea. Intertisn'. Lots of places fer critters to hide in."

Eladrinblade
2016-06-08, 05:03 PM
Valkor begins trudging across the cavern towards the bridge on the left, "Let's check those huts, but keep an eye out for holes."

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-08, 07:01 PM
"Certainly," Jack said. "But if you don't mind, I think I'll stay in the back."

Yawielas
2016-06-09, 01:11 AM
Neoma

Neoma walks carefully, keeping an eye on the huts in case any lizards or other creatures are hiding there. She keeps an arrow nocked and ready. Following Valkor towards the bridge, she counts the dwellings she can see.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-09, 10:20 AM
Everything is quite. You footsteps and breathing are the only sounds that can be heard. The cave seems to amplify your every step. If there is something in here, if it hadn't been made aware of your presence by the light, you're all sure that they'd be aware of you now.

But the cavern is still. There's no scuffling feet on the dirt, no rocks sliding down the walls, no shouts or hisses or cries. The huts are still. Some don't even have doors, the wood having rotted away from neglect. When you reach the bridge, you find it to be rather primitive, just planks of wood tied together by some rope and set across the trench. Looking down into the trench, you see it's filled with spears pointing straight up.The trench itself seems to be 40 feet deep.

Far to your left, you can see two lizards, quite a bit smaller then the ones you fought earlier, impaled upon one of the spears.

Eladrinblade
2016-06-10, 04:32 AM
"Well, thar's some easy gold." Valkor says, while looking at the lizards. He then crosses the left bridge and heads to the closest hut.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-10, 11:00 AM
"Don't know about that. Climbing down there might be more difficult than shooting the ones outside."

GinntroN
2016-06-11, 07:20 PM
"Be easier to shoot though. Ha he he he."
Tharim chuckles to himself quietly as he cautiously moves over the bridge to the other side.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-11, 09:04 PM
Jack follows Valkor across the bridge, laughing at Tharim's joke.

Yawielas
2016-06-12, 03:49 AM
Neoma

Neoma follows across the bridge, hoping the rather rustic construction will hold.

kedler
2016-06-12, 07:27 AM
Alexise crosses the bridge after Neoma, bow at the ready.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-12, 08:41 AM
Having crossed the bridge, it's easier to make out the huts. Most are made out of warn clay bricks, and it's a good assumption that the goblins which once lived here dug the massive trench not just for protection, but also building material.

A few paces out from the bridge, there's a soft thud, echoing almost as loud as your footsteps. It originated behind you. If you turn to look, you'll see a moderately sized lizard, thinner then the ones you fought earlier, though also longer. Though it has two odd, obviously noticeable features; scales as white as snow, eyes as red as molten metal.

It stares at you all, its muscles tense, claws digging into the wooden planks of the bridge. It hisses. It stares. It waits.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-12, 09:18 AM
Having crossed the bridge, it's easier to make out the huts. Most are made out of warn clay bricks, and it's a good assumption that the goblins which once lived here dug the massive trench not just for protection, but also building material.

A few paces out from the bridge, there's a soft thud, echoing almost as loud as your footsteps. It originated behind you. If you turn to look, you'll see a moderately sized lizard, thinner then the ones you fought earlier, though also longer. Though it has two odd, obviously noticeable features; scales as white as snow, eyes as red as molten metal.

It stares at you all, its muscles tense, claws digging into the wooden planks of the bridge. It hisses. It stares. It waits.
"Great," Jack mutters, eyeing the beast. "I don't suppose the color change means antthing good, now."

Yawielas
2016-06-12, 10:38 AM
Neoma

Neoma turns to look at the lizard now blocking the bridge behind them. "Sometimes cave-dwelling animals are white, but this looks albino with the red eyes..." She is ready to fire should the lizard attack.

kedler
2016-06-12, 05:51 PM
"Is there any chance you can befriend this guy, Ranger?" Alexise askes the half-elf.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-12, 06:48 PM
Jack readies his shield, checks his crossbow, and loosens the rope slung around his shoulder.
"I'll watch your backs," he whispers. "We don't want anyone sneaking up on us."

Yawielas
2016-06-13, 04:35 AM
Neoma

Neoma looks at Alexise. "I can try." She lowers her bow, and moves slowly and unthreateningly forward, speaking softly to the lizard in elven.

Wild empathy [roll0]

GinntroN
2016-06-13, 08:24 AM
Tharim keeps his crossbow aimed at the lizard, waiting to fire.
He whispers "If this don't work, I can show yer what we do ter Albinos back home."

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-13, 10:30 AM
The lizard looks at Neoma. The lizard listens to her voice, the flowing eloquence of her Elvish a beautiful sound to everyone around her. The lizard lets her approach, and when she doesn't attack it, the lizard relaxes somewhat. Neoma, for her part notices something rather strange: the air around the lizard seems to be statically charged to a degree the half-elf has never experienced.

After nearly a minute, the lizard seems to lose interest in Neoma's attempted befriending. It begins to lazily walk forward, and as it passes Neoma's leg, the half-elf receives a rather uncomfortable shock, though it doesn't seem intentional, nor does it cause any damage.

Yawielas
2016-06-13, 11:17 AM
Neoma

Neoma startles a little from the shock, then laughs. "I don't think he'll attack unless we provoke him. And he's not blue, so maybe we should just leave him alone."

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-20, 12:43 AM
The white lizard, sensing no hostile intent, wanders off. Your group continues to the closest hut. It's small by Human and Elf standards, standing only six feet high. It has no door, and if you peer inside you'd see a small table with no chairs. In several different spots, rags are piled high, though they now look decayed and moldy.

There are scratch marks on the dirt floor, though they by know means look fresh.
http://i.imgur.com/UitZPtT.jpg

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-20, 07:17 AM
Cupping his eyes in front of his eyes like binoculars, Jack casts Detect Magic. He slowly scand the cavern, looking for magical auras within 60 ft.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-20, 04:38 PM
When Jack's eyes land upon the back wall, he detects a magical aura, causing him to pause for a moment. As he studies it, he concludes that there is a faint magical aura, definitively from the school of illusion.

GinntroN
2016-06-21, 05:51 AM
Tharim looks around at the huts and the back wall. "We should see if thar's anythin' useful around. Then check out tha wall at tha back." Tharmin says in hushed tones.

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-21, 07:17 AM
"Or... we could just do this," Jack says. "Lucy - poke that wall."
The Unseen Servant drifts forward, nudging the illusionary wall with the base of its torch.

Yawielas
2016-06-21, 07:25 AM
Neoma

Neoma looks into the other huts, just in case more lizards are hiding.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-22, 08:57 AM
"Or... we could just do this," Jack says. "Lucy - poke that wall."
The Unseen Servant drifts forward, nudging the illusionary wall with the base of its torch.

The base of the torch passes into the wall, vanishing from sight.

kedler
2016-06-22, 09:53 AM
Alexise trains his bow on the wall in question unsure what to make of it.

Eladrinblade
2016-06-22, 01:09 PM
"Aye, search the other huts. We'll keep an eye on the wall." Valkor says, indicating himself and Alexise.

Zexionthefirst
2016-06-24, 12:22 PM
Having seen the base of the torch pass through the wall, something seems to click in each of your minds. In the space of a few seconds, the wall vanishes, leaving you all with the sight of a low tunnel going deeper into the earth.

Neoma moves from one hut to the next, popping her head into them and looking around. She sees much of the same in each one, signs of life which had long ago been abandoned. She comes across one of the few huts which still has some form of door blocking the outside from the potential wonders which may lay within. The dirt under the door has been dug away, and Neoma's spacial reasoning leads her to conclude that something could probably fit through this space and take refuge within.

Yawielas
2016-06-25, 01:17 AM
Neoma

Neoma calls to the others. "These ones might be used as hiding places for the lizards. The doors are closed, but there are tunnels under them."

GinntroN
2016-06-25, 06:14 AM
"Shall we hav' a gander down tha hole? Either that or we be continuin' on"

GreyStormcrow
2016-06-25, 09:15 AM
"I say we go spelunking. I mean - what do we say? We found some tunnels in an old goblin town but decided to ignore them?"

Eladrinblade
2016-06-27, 10:01 AM
"Could just open the door lads...could Lucy do it?" Valkor readies his tower shield.

GinntroN
2016-06-29, 09:23 AM
"Aye. Sounds like a plan. Go on lass, I got Cha covered. " Tharim readies his crossbow, ready to shoot the next foe that's past the door.

GreyStormcrow
2016-07-07, 10:28 AM
Deciding that they can return and inspect the tunnel later Jack takes Tun off his shoulder and plops him on the ground. "Croak if anything comes, will you? Thanks little buddy. Come on, Lucy."
He strolls over to where Neoma is. "What's this?" He asks. "An ominous door? Well I think we can all agree that it would be quite unsatisfying if we never learned what waa behind it." He nods to his Servant and readies his crossbow. "Go ahead and open it, Lucy."