PDA

View Full Version : Druid Question

Shackled Terror
2007-06-26, 02:59 PM
I was looking into Druid builds, and I came up with something that seems to be cheap beyond words. It seems to me that a Druid with the Natural Spell feat and the ability to turn into an Earth Elemental could simply burrow say 50 or 100 ft beneath a group of enemies and then continually cast Summon Nature's Ally on the surface until they were all dead, while the Druid itself is completely immune to counter-attack (unless there is an enemy caster who happens to have some sort of earth moving spell prepared). Is this a correct interpretation of the relevant feat, spell, and elemental ability? [I kind of hope not because this seems pretty broken]

thanks

FireSpark
2007-06-26, 03:04 PM
I was looking into Druid builds, and I came up with something that seems to be cheap beyond words. It seems to me that a Druid with the Natural Spell feat and the ability to turn into an Earth Elemental could simply burrow say 50 or 100 ft beneath a group of enemies and then continually cast Summon Nature's Ally on the surface until they were all dead, while the Druid itself is completely immune to counter-attack (unless there is an enemy caster who happens to have some sort of earth moving spell prepared). Is this a correct interpretation of the relevant feat, spell, and elemental ability? [I kind of hope not because this seems pretty broken]

thanks

Sort of. Except for the fact that anything the druid could shapeshift into, would be worlds stronger than anything he could summon with summon nature's ally. Not to mention the very short amount of time the worthless little animals come into existence for,

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-06-26, 03:22 PM
Earth Glide is a special quality of earth elementals. Wild Shape does not grant special qualities of the form assumed. (However, the 9th-level Druid spell shapechange does grant special qualities.)
A ton of earth between you and the surface certainly blocks line of effect for any spell you wish to cast.
Even if you managed to circumvent the above, that technique wouldn't be "cheap", since the animals you summon would be weak compared to you or your enemies. You'd have to use up a crapload of spell slots summoning them.

Tallis
2007-06-26, 06:39 PM
Agreed, no line of effect equals no spells. You could turn into an air elemental and fly up for a similar effect. Wouldn't make you immune to attack though, just hard to attack. A fire elemental could easily hide in a fire or a water elemental in water, so that the opponent wouldn't necessarily know where the spells were coming from.