PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian tank, scimitar of speed?

thebiglost1
2016-05-19, 02:20 PM
Have a chance to get it, basically it was dropped by a skeletal minotaur we just blasted and the group rogue is the only other PC that can use it. I'm currently using a regular warhammer and he is currently using a bow but has expressed he wants it.

Now the question is do I keep it [I looted it] or give it to the rogue? He says he will be more melee centric if he gets it but I have my doubts. [He was not smart and rolled his hp and now only has 21 at level 5]

Is it that big of an upgrade for me to run the risk of party division?

N810
2016-05-19, 02:44 PM
I suppose you could loan it to him for a while ....

smcmike
2016-05-19, 02:49 PM
Sounds pretty good for you. If he's serious about being in melee a lot, it's better for him, but I doubt that he is.

It's perfect for you if you want to start adding in a few levels of rogue yourself.

Sir cryosin
2016-05-19, 02:58 PM
You will be going down in weapon damage die from a d8 to a d6. If you are running into a lot of monsters with resistance to nonmagical then keep it but if not then loan it out to him or trade, sell.

thebiglost1
2016-05-19, 03:03 PM
Going down a weapon die but gaining more hits and a bonus action attack in the interim.

I will probably let him have it, I'm enjoying my near-indestructableness. I'll tell him if he goes unconscious I'm looting it lol

DireSickFish
2016-05-19, 03:12 PM
Give it to the rogue. You need your bonus action to enter rage already (which granted isn't guaranteed to happen very fight and is only one round). It's also a much bigger buff to the rogue as now he'll have two chances to try and hit so his sneak attack will be happening more often. With the feature that lets them take half damage from an attack as a reaction rogues actually make decent tanks.

Sir cryosin
2016-05-19, 03:12 PM
Going down a weapon die but gaining more hits and a bonus action attack in the interim.

I will probably let him have it, I'm enjoying my near-indestructableness. I'll tell him if he goes unconscious I'm looting it lol

Well I didn't know you get a bonus action attack. With that I'll say keep it and use it. He should keep to the back with his 21hp.

gfishfunk
2016-05-19, 03:15 PM
For the sake of equity: if you already have something that benefits you and he has yet to get anything, give it to him. Its not optimal, but it is peace-keeping.

WickerNipple
2016-05-19, 05:13 PM
I would assume that a barbarian wielding a 1 handed weapon has Shield Master and thus doesn't need a new way to spend their bonus action, so I'd give it to the rogue.

Giant2005
2016-05-19, 06:22 PM
You should keep it.
The Rogue has nothing to do with his off-hand other than dual-wield anyway, so it is of very little use to him. You however can use it while using a shield and effectively gain the benefits of two fighting styles (SnB and Dual-Wielding).

Vogonjeltz
2016-05-20, 01:50 AM
Have a chance to get it, basically it was dropped by a skeletal minotaur we just blasted and the group rogue is the only other PC that can use it. I'm currently using a regular warhammer and he is currently using a bow but has expressed he wants it.

Now the question is do I keep it [I looted it] or give it to the rogue? He says he will be more melee centric if he gets it but I have my doubts. [He was not smart and rolled his hp and now only has 21 at level 5]

Is it that big of an upgrade for me to run the risk of party division?

All rogues have a bonus action already. Unless you're a Frenzy Barbarian or have some alternative bonus action you could/should be taking every round, you should use the sword, not the Rogue.

hymer
2016-05-20, 03:54 AM
All rogues have a bonus action already. Unless you're a Frenzy Barbarian or have some alternative bonus action you could/should be taking every round, you should use the sword, not the Rogue.

You should keep it.
The Rogue has nothing to do with his off-hand other than dual-wield anyway, so it is of very little use to him. You however can use it while using a shield and effectively gain the benefits of two fighting styles (SnB and Dual-Wielding).

This. If you've yet to find something to use your bonus action on regularly, this could be it. Rogues can get most of the same benefit as the scimitar of speed by two-weapon fighting, since for them it's matter of landing blows for sneak attacks more than dealing a lot of damage with the blow itself.
That is speaking about combat optimization. As someone above mentioned, keeping the peace is a consideration, too.

thebiglost1
2016-05-20, 05:51 PM
Update: pretty magic heavy campaign so far [everyone has something and some have 2 pieces] so the DM has decided to give the rogue a +1 bow [he already had gloves of thievery] .

All is well. :]